Stores > Micro Center

Shipping & packaging: Rating 7.50/10 7.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 7.00/10 7.00/10

Troubling customer service

"I recently purchased a 3D printer from microcenter that was listed online as "open box, floor model" with no qualifiers, which I thought meant nothing major was wrong with it. I checked the return policy before my husband went and picked it up and it said that it had the same 15 day return policy as any 3D printer. You can imagine my surprise when he brought home a printer that looked as if it were tossed down a flight of stairs. The build plate was destroyed, uneven, and un-leveled. The knob was missing to level it! The LCD looked like someone put out there cigarettes on it, was burned and scratched and warped. In addition, it came with nothing outside of the printer itself: no manual, sd cards, extra knobs, ANYTHING. When the printer did start it made a very loud grinding noise when it moved along the axes. They didn't even have a box to put it in let alone the original box.

I was fuming when I saw the printer. That they would sell this piece of garbage was beyond me, and my husband got quite the talking to for picking up this piece of junk! Afterall, they are selling this printer for $700 now and the open box was $600+tax! This is where the fun starts! Not only when my husband went back to return the printer did they question the damage, but they went as far as to involve the manager who state that they used the printer "just the other day, and it printed perfectly." How do I find this hard to believe? Well...aside from the dust caked on it from being in some corner tucked away for what looked like months, it was missing a leveling knob! You cannot print with a build plate on a complete slant! They stated that the bed looked level to them and my husband showed them how there were pits and divits, burn marks and warped plastic all over it. After a great deal of hassle, they finally refunded the card.

Microcenter is the only place in the entire area to purchase electronics and parts, but with all this hassle, I don't think I'll be making out any better than just purchasing everything I need on Amazon. I've been with them for about 10+ years and they have never given me hassle. Amazon even reordered an expensive kitchen appliance that was bought for me for my birthday and stolen off the front stoop! I could never see Microcenter being so kind. I've met some nice cashiers there, so it may just be the management. The last time I went to microcenter in person, however, they had what seemed like 20 different people approach me wanting to put some sticker on all my items. It appears like they work by commission and someone wanted to take credit for the pile of filament in my cart. To be fair, they did chat me up, but it wasn't to help me with anything. It was to help them better understand what this "filament stuff was." I hadn't been approached this much at a store since I last went to BestBuy!

To summarize: Microcenter, a large chain that is becoming ever more grizzly with its customer support, and stingy with educating and paying for its sales team. They sometimes have great deals, and would I stop going to the store? Probably not entirely. Would I if I could! However, there is something to be said for its provision for/monopoly on the hobby electronics market in the area. If I absolutely cannot wait for something to be delivered from Amazon, or they don't have a good enough deal, I'll then consider going to Microcenter. However, not for anything large like this printer again. I'd be willing to pay larger costs or brave delivery of such items. At least they give me 30 days to return everything (not that I need more than a few hours to return this printer, but it's nice to have those extra weeks).

In fairness, I wanted to rate Microcenter a '2-star- review. The DID eventually refund the money, and I will likely shop Microcenter again in the future despite this (out of necessity only). However, given the accusatory tone by the manager and customer service after what was a 1 day later return in the exact condition it was received, as well as the fact they would even sell something this broken for nearly the cost of a brand new-in-box item, they get a 1-star review. Someone during the purchase (and I fault both the salesperson and my husband for us initially purchasing the item) should have said a big "NO!" to selling it. If they wanted to sell it, it should have been considerably reduced and sold for parts. More should have been said of its condition online where it was found and ordered.

Online Ordering is the Way to Go

"Ordered online and picked up at local store. Checked out quickly and TV was carried out to my car from me. Service was very helpful and friendly. "

Shocked and Surprised

"Let me first say I ALWAYS go to MicroCenter first for ALL of my electronic needs - I've NEVER been dissatisfied until this event, which I'm sure was just an oversight and/or human error.

I placed an Opened Box MS Surface RT on hold and went to pick it up - upon opening the box at the counter the screen was cracked/shattered. I had the print out with me of the details of the item and it never stated defected or refurbished for that matter - just opened box.

Myself and the store clerk were surprised and he called over the manager to verify that this was the only MS Surface RT/32gig in stock - it was. They both apologized and I proceeded to complete my purchases for other items.

This in no way will stop me from shopping at MicroCenter. No love lost; just a bit more cautious.

good price for a G51

"my experience in micro center was good except for the long Que, but i do understand...Black Friday!"

Order Canceled By Retailer

"After looking for a special toy, I found it online discounted at MicroCenter. I placed my order. The next morning I received an email stating my order was cancelled. Sounds like an someone at Micro center, or a friend of theirs, got the good deal and a cool toy for their child."

Unbeatable deals

"The Black Friday deals are just unbeatable, walking away with an Intel i7-6700k, an MSI Z170A SLI Plus motherboard, and 16GB of Crucial Ballistix 2400MHZ DDR4 RAM for only 450 dollars after rebate, insane."

2016-12-04

"Very quick and easy process."

2016-12-04

"I bought this laptop, took 3 hours to get to your store, bus and train, and had to take another 3 hours back, just to find out there's no free games gift codes...like it was shown on the website..."

In and out

"Placed an internet order ad stopped it pick up the computer. It was ready and as ordered.
The staff was very helpful with the check out and making sure the order was correct. Thank you,

2016-12-04

"Good to place to do business"

2016-12-03

Awesome!

"Great deals and great service!"

2016-12-02

Better deal than the big box stores!

"Better deal than the big box stores!"

2016-12-02

"I renewed my ESET security package. The process went quickly and easily."

2016-12-02

Won't sell you the best for your money unless you ask specifically

"They will happily sell you 500$ worth of garbage instead of tell you about price matching and open box/refurb deals "

Great service as always.

"I always get great service from microcenter"

Share Micro Center's store rating

Micro Center is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Micro Center is a merchant member
Micro Center participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 3,459 merchant members.