"I complained to McMaster-Carr that their web site required me to create an account just to browse it and that when I did, it told me I had been browsing too much and must wait 23 hours before I can continue to browse. This is the response I got from them:

"Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from our established customers. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We will not provide a quotation or accept your orders."

"All of these negative reviews are ridiculous. McMaster-Carr has a long, well established, and well deserved reputation as an EXCELLENT online retailer. One of, if not the best. Google around and you will find as many reviews to that effect as you like.

The customer service is a gold standard, I have never had to wait for a response and any complaints have been answered promptly and without argument. Shipping time is ridiculously fast.

Now, I will admit that their shipping is not always the most efficient space-wise. This does not appreciably affect the shipping costs. I just looked at 2 of my invoices, paid $4.80 for a 3 lb UPS package, and $13 for a 24 lb package delivered same day. If you paid $20 to ship 3 springs, YOU must have screwed up the order or requested next day air. I will also admit that it would be nice to know the shipping charge beforehand but it is understandable why they cannot tell you. It's the nature of that kind of business, not unique by any means to McMaster. Many supply companies of this stature operate the same way. Mouser comes to mind, digi-key as well. Not a significant disadvantage IMHO. And certainly not criminal as some ridiculous reviews here are asserting.

If your goal is to pinch pennies and order a spring for your cellphone once every 2 years, McMaster may not be for you (although you will still get the same excellent service that everyone else gets, and can access the same excellent online catalog). By all means order them from Amazon and wait. McMaster is not always the cheapest but their service is BY FAR the best, and the quality is always top notch even on their "budget" parts. If you don't need high quality springs then choose cheaper ones, there are many on McMaster. If you didn't do that because someone else told you "buy this," it's your own fault. Your ignorance should not reflect poorly on others.

I'm only writing this review because I've been ordering from McM for years and the service and quality has been consistently excellent. Parts are always in stock and always shipped within about an hour. I would hate for people to be turned off because of the surprisingly negative rating on this site. If you're in doubt, do some more research for yourself.

"McMaster Carr -bad company -no customer service period. Spent an hour today trying to get a shipping quote on a large order and when I got frustrated they sent me an email that the order was to big so they "declined to quote" Huge waste of time. Shame on You McMaster Carr. Don't Waste your time with McMaster Carr"

"The website interface was good for selection of parts but that’s where the joy ended.

McMaster-Carr's online website did not calculate shipping before signoff which means your card will be charged an undetermined amount.

On top of that I made my order and heard nothing back from McMaster after almost ten days. I emailed to enquire about the tracking number for the shipment and received an automated message saying I would receive a reply in 2 hours. 2 days passed so I sent another email. Finally I received a reply that my order had been rejected because "Due to the complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr only accepts orders from our established customers in Canada. We’re sorry we can’t help you."

I constantly order from online websites that somehow manage to get parts over the border. This was unacceptable.

It would be forgivable if they contacted me, listed it on their website, or made any effort at all.

"Great products. Not good billing.
I didn't like not knowing what the shipping would be before placing my order.

Thankfully the shipping was what I expected. This is the only problem I have with them.

The CAD files for most of their products is a big help.

"They don't list shipping price until they bill so I emailed their customer service. I was quoted 5 to 8 dollars. So I placed the order and turns out shipping was almost 20 dollars (19 and something cents). They weren't dishonest, they just put the 12x24 inch wire mesh in an excessively large box and were too lazy to give me a real shipping quote or use a heavy small box. People who don't do their job well irritate me, which is why I'm leaving a poor review. Maybe McMaster-Carr is not equipped to deal with small orders efficiently.
The product was correct and low priced and seemed to be of quality, its a shame their shipping is horrible.

"It's unethical and possibly illegal to not disclose how much you are charging your customers credit card! I was shocked when I received my receipt two days after purchase and saw that my charge was nearly double. They did not disclose shipping costs and charged my account without telling me. I looked online afterward and found that others have been misled by this practice. Why order $10 of bolts when they tack on $20 in shipping! "

"I bought through http://www.mcmaster.com, and I found a very good review from this site:

"One of my favorite places to order anything industrial related I can't find locally. I've been ordering things from McMaster-Carr for at least 15 years first hearing about them through work. I could spend HOURS just looking through their catalog (not sure if one can even get those anymore). Super fast service and good prices on hard to find things. The shipping is actually less than most places because they only charge what the actual shipping cost is and don't add on any handling fees."

"For me, it is part of the entertainment — part of the charm ­— of ordering from McMaster-Carr that they do not try to predict shipping charges as I check out. No estimated or inflated charges here! Instead, real people in their warehouse actually pack up my order as best they can, then charge me what it actually costs to ship.

But the greatest fun is their web site, which really, truly, gives me the feeling that I am flipping through a catalog — they organize it into pages just like a printed supply catalog, with all of the associated entertainment (and learning experience!) of seeing what similar items are on the adjacent pages.

I have used McMaster-Carr for more than a decade. They often do not state the brand of what they are selling, but always send equipment of the very best quality — as when I ordered wrenches recently, and received Stahlwille wrenches in the package from McMaster-Carr. They are the consummate old-timey supply house, but with their catalog on the web. In Atlanta, at least, I usually select UPS Ground and get the shipment the next day anyway because of their efficiency — and always on the second day after my order otherwise!

"On 05/31/2011 I ordered part# 9001T14, 3 small (micro) replacement springs used in the hinge of a cellphone. The website was recommended by a user of a cellphone repair website who'd ordered the same part and recommended this particular online store to obtain the part.

$5.78 is a decent price, even though only 1 spring is needed to repair the phone, but the "item" is for 3 springs.

Why do I seek to write the review of the website?
#1 - price of the part was actually not relevant, as I just ordered the cellphone (I don't even have it yet) - but bought the springs for backup and expected future use.
#2 - McMaster website was very well laid out and easy to find the part.

Why write the review, and from a web-programming dummy standpoint: With very little effort, there are hundreds of "create your own online store" templates available, prebuilt to overlay WordPress or any of the other CMS auto-install websites scripts... These would include *everything* needed to run an online store.

Upon order of the part from McMaster, I was dismayed and confused that a professional online retail store was not providing shipping and handling cost information as part of the check-out process. Therefore, I IMMEDIATELY sent an email, with order # information, etc, to the customer service email address requesting a 100% complete accurate dollar amount that would be charged, to include the cost of the part, shipping/handling, before shipping the product and charging my provided credit card.

The product was shipped without authorization!

Ultimately would I order from this company again? No! I won't order from a company that can not provide full and legal disclosure of shipping prices PRIOR to shipping a product. Lesson Learned.

I will add the following:

#1 Their email response was "less than" 24 hours, but obviously not effective if the Order/Sales Information email address regarding an order isn't reviewed/responded to prior to the order being shipped.

#2 I only received the tracking number as incidental information to the response to my initial email (it's on the PDF receipt received 6/1)

#3 (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT) - In response to my response email of their 6/1 PDF receipt email, I did receive a refund. **No** - I do not believe this absolves the company from their responsibility to provide accurate costs to the customer before charging the customer and shipping the product.

modified review This review was modified by NunyaB on June 01 2011 01:02:42 PM

"Everything arrived pretty quick and in good shape. Very happy. Five stars. I will add a couple things, though.

Their prices vary a bit compared to other suppliers. Some products are the cheapest I could find, others are overpriced - enough so that it was worth it to order from several sites and pay multiple shipping charges.

The only thing I didn't like was that they did not calculate a shipping cost and provide it prior to my order. This had me worried I was going to get a massive shipping fee. But it turned out that the shipping was actually cheaper than normal. I assume this is because they actually calculate shipping based on weight and package/box costs (as compared to just using an average based on number of products ordered). With the wide spectrum of size and weight of their products, I can sympathize with this method. Based on my experience being charged reasonably, I won't worry about getting ripped off on shipping next time.

"I am proud to be the 21st reviewer of McMaster-Carr and to give it one more 5/5 rating - they definitely deserve the best because the are the best at what they do! I work at a company that sells metal to machine shops and manufacturers - we're known for our ability to get our hands on hard to find products, but often times we just refer our customer to McMaster-Carr -- they got everything, and our customers really appreciate finding out about them. I use them all the time for anything from maintenance to shop supplies to items for my inventive ideas. Their website is top-notch and I've never have anything not arrive the day after I placed my order."

"What a great supplier. I often order from them due to needing obscure parts for automotive projects. Their website is top notch for finding things and also specifications, and they ship stuff like it was yesterday.

My last order was more reinforcement as to my positive review. I ordered several hardware items, and was shorted a bag of washers. I sent an email and got an immediate reply. I had the bag of washers in hand the following day hassle-free. BTW, their warehouse is in the next state about 300 miles away.

McMaster is on the ball, and I'll continue to be a customer of theirs.

Riverside, CA

"They are one of my preferred suppliers of industrial and commercial supplies. I've used them for over 20 years, and always recommend them to my customers.
They're not the cheapest, but they offer a great variety of products, and customer service I've never seen equaled. Their on-line ordering is terrific; I especially like the feature that as you select each item it tells you immediately if it's in stock, and when it will ship.
Their catalog, both print and on-line, also gives great general information about category of products ... what the differences are between the types offered, what they might be used for, technical data, etc.; a nice resource.
My biggest complaint is that their catalog doesn't list the brands. In some cases, I have a specific brand preference; it also makes comparison shopping difficult.

modified review This review was modified by WalrusKing on January 09 2010 11:46:43 PM

McMaster-Carr Supply Company is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

McMaster-Carr Supply Company is not a merchant member
McMaster-Carr Supply Company does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!