• Rating 7.83/10 23 reviews

McMaster-Carr Supply Company is not a merchant member
    McMaster-Carr Supply Company does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • McMaster-Carr Supply Company contact information

"The website interface was good for selection of parts but that’s where the joy ended.

McMaster-Carr's online website did not calculate shipping before signoff which means your card will be charged an undetermined amount.

On top of that I made my order and heard nothing back from McMaster after almost ten days. I emailed to enquire about the tracking number for the shipment and received an automated message saying I would receive a reply in 2 hours. 2 days passed so I sent another email. Finally I received a reply that my order had been rejected because "Due to the complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr only accepts orders from our established customers in Canada. We’re sorry we can’t help you."

I constantly order from online websites that somehow manage to get parts over the border. This was unacceptable.

It would be forgivable if they contacted me, listed it on their website, or made any effort at all.

Rating 8/104/5

"Great products. Not good billing.
I didn't like not knowing what the shipping would be before placing my order.

Thankfully the shipping was what I expected. This is the only problem I have with them.

The CAD files for most of their products is a big help.

Rating 4/102/5

"They don't list shipping price until they bill so I emailed their customer service. I was quoted 5 to 8 dollars. So I placed the order and turns out shipping was almost 20 dollars (19 and something cents). They weren't dishonest, they just put the 12x24 inch wire mesh in an excessively large box and were too lazy to give me a real shipping quote or use a heavy small box. People who don't do their job well irritate me, which is why I'm leaving a poor review. Maybe McMaster-Carr is not equipped to deal with small orders efficiently.
The product was correct and low priced and seemed to be of quality, its a shame their shipping is horrible.

"It's unethical and possibly illegal to not disclose how much you are charging your customers credit card! I was shocked when I received my receipt two days after purchase and saw that my charge was nearly double. They did not disclose shipping costs and charged my account without telling me. I looked online afterward and found that others have been misled by this practice. Why order $10 of bolts when they tack on $20 in shipping! "

Rating 8/104/5

"I bought through http://www.mcmaster.com, and I found a very good review from this site:

"One of my favorite places to order anything industrial related I can't find locally. I've been ordering things from McMaster-Carr for at least 15 years first hearing about them through work. I could spend HOURS just looking through their catalog (not sure if one can even get those anymore). Super fast service and good prices on hard to find things. The shipping is actually less than most places because they only charge what the actual shipping cost is and don't add on any handling fees."

"For me, it is part of the entertainment — part of the charm ­— of ordering from McMaster-Carr that they do not try to predict shipping charges as I check out. No estimated or inflated charges here! Instead, real people in their warehouse actually pack up my order as best they can, then charge me what it actually costs to ship.

But the greatest fun is their web site, which really, truly, gives me the feeling that I am flipping through a catalog — they organize it into pages just like a printed supply catalog, with all of the associated entertainment (and learning experience!) of seeing what similar items are on the adjacent pages.

I have used McMaster-Carr for more than a decade. They often do not state the brand of what they are selling, but always send equipment of the very best quality — as when I ordered wrenches recently, and received Stahlwille wrenches in the package from McMaster-Carr. They are the consummate old-timey supply house, but with their catalog on the web. In Atlanta, at least, I usually select UPS Ground and get the shipment the next day anyway because of their efficiency — and always on the second day after my order otherwise!

"Everything arrived pretty quick and in good shape. Very happy. Five stars. I will add a couple things, though.

Their prices vary a bit compared to other suppliers. Some products are the cheapest I could find, others are overpriced - enough so that it was worth it to order from several sites and pay multiple shipping charges.

The only thing I didn't like was that they did not calculate a shipping cost and provide it prior to my order. This had me worried I was going to get a massive shipping fee. But it turned out that the shipping was actually cheaper than normal. I assume this is because they actually calculate shipping based on weight and package/box costs (as compared to just using an average based on number of products ordered). With the wide spectrum of size and weight of their products, I can sympathize with this method. Based on my experience being charged reasonably, I won't worry about getting ripped off on shipping next time.

"I am proud to be the 21st reviewer of McMaster-Carr and to give it one more 5/5 rating - they definitely deserve the best because the are the best at what they do! I work at a company that sells metal to machine shops and manufacturers - we're known for our ability to get our hands on hard to find products, but often times we just refer our customer to McMaster-Carr -- they got everything, and our customers really appreciate finding out about them. I use them all the time for anything from maintenance to shop supplies to items for my inventive ideas. Their website is top-notch and I've never have anything not arrive the day after I placed my order."

"What a great supplier. I often order from them due to needing obscure parts for automotive projects. Their website is top notch for finding things and also specifications, and they ship stuff like it was yesterday.

My last order was more reinforcement as to my positive review. I ordered several hardware items, and was shorted a bag of washers. I sent an email and got an immediate reply. I had the bag of washers in hand the following day hassle-free. BTW, their warehouse is in the next state about 300 miles away.

McMaster is on the ball, and I'll continue to be a customer of theirs.

Riverside, CA

"They are one of my preferred suppliers of industrial and commercial supplies. I've used them for over 20 years, and always recommend them to my customers.
They're not the cheapest, but they offer a great variety of products, and customer service I've never seen equaled. Their on-line ordering is terrific; I especially like the feature that as you select each item it tells you immediately if it's in stock, and when it will ship.
Their catalog, both print and on-line, also gives great general information about category of products ... what the differences are between the types offered, what they might be used for, technical data, etc.; a nice resource.
My biggest complaint is that their catalog doesn't list the brands. In some cases, I have a specific brand preference; it also makes comparison shopping difficult.

modified review This review was modified by WalrusKing on January 09 2010 11:46:43 PM

"This company has just about EVERYTHING you could ever need for every type of project,repair, supply and logistical need. They offer several shipping options and if you live nearby, you can pick up your items at their will call office. Customer service was excellent. Shipping was reasonable. I live nearby but I didn't want to drive there so I took US Postal. My order took only a few days. My order was correct and in perfect condition upon delivery. I only have one gripe... they don't tell you how much your shipping charges. You'll find that information on your invoice. My order weighed 2 lbs. Shipping US Postal was $5.25...very reasonable.
Go to their website... I promise your head will spin when you see how much stuff they have!

cdh987's Avatar
Tehachapi, CA

"I ordered a 24 pack of 2,850 mA-hr AA Alkaline batteries from McMaster-Carr. The name brand wasn't specified on the Website, but they ended up being Energizer Industrials.

The total cost for these, with shipping and tax, was $22.65. That's a very good deal for such high mA-hr batteries if you ask me.

I ordered these on July 1, 2008 in the afternoon and got them on July 3, 2008. The shipping cost ended up being $5, which I didn't think was bad at all for the two days it took to get my order.

All in all I am very satisfied with my McMaster-Carr purchase and very highly recommend them.

East Coast, USA

"I've ordered many times over the last few years from McMaster-Carr and have been satisfied with all my orders. I don't recall having to wait more than three days for any order. Shipping has also been reasonable, although as others may have said you won't know the exact amount until you get your invoice.

If you like building things this is your one stop shop. Their selection of parts in amazing. Anything from O - rings to sleeve bearings is available.

One thing I really liked about the online catalog is the info section at the beginning of the different part categories. Here you will be able to see the specs for the part (material, temperature range ect.) and be able to judge better, which variety will best suit your application.

Good job guys, keep up the good work.

"Without regret, or hesitation I can honestly say I am awed by the service and selection this company provides. I now order all related hardware/tools from this company; and talk about fast service, one evening I placed an order between 6-7 pm. The order was there the next MORNING at 9:30 AM. This Is A Great Company."