Stores > Maingear Computers

Chance of future purchase: Rating 9.20/10 9.20/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 8.69/10 8.69/10
    Customer service: Rating 9.55/10 9.55/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 9.64/10 9.64/10

"Top notch product, technical capabilities, customer service and support throughout the 5 years I've owned this F131 desktop - which is still running strong as I just upgraded the OS to Windows 10.

Product: top notch performance, well chosen hardware and software.
Technical: excellent understanding of the OS, drivers, apps, BIOS, etc. required to run a secure, up-to-date, functional system.
Support: Through a couple of hardware failures, a Windows 10 upgrade, etc. the US-based support has been top notch and immediate. Support agents are always highly-skilled personnel (which is easy for me to tell, as I'm a software developer by trade and have many IT skillsets), and always take their time to ensure the issue is resolved, even when that requires hours with me over the phone over the course of several days, or sending a technician to my home when needed.

I recommend Maingear wholeheartedly.

This review was modified by elcaminosenor on November 16 2015 04:00:01 PM

"Maingear builds very high quality computer systems and is very supportive of its customers needs for the life of the computer.
I have purchased a desktop and a laptop from them. I am not a gamer but could not find a similar high quality system from the larger commercial computer names. The cost is extremely reasonable for the quality that is provided.
Maingear also offers a number of enhancements which are unique to this company. Maingear designs, builds and tests their systems with high quality components: they are fast, clean [no bloatware], and quiet.
My only quibble is that while they include the discs for the software and some printed information, they could provide better pictures and information descriptions of the systems and their internal parts that would be valuable, especially when starting up and first using the system. Otherwise I am very pleased with not only the computers I have purchased but also with the live support from the company by telephone.

This review was modified by chukgreene on November 12 2015 04:22:01 PM

"This is my second computer from Maingear. The first was great, and when it was old, they gave me excellent support fixing the little bugs and keeping it running. They have great prices, and this second computer was able to get a 980ti on a limited budget. Jeremy has been especially helpful."

"________Update 10/29/15_____________

Maingear got back to us about our broken fan and apologized for the bumps along the way. Shortly after talking to one of their support team, their operations manager called us and was very embarrassed about our experience and is currently working with us to make it better. He was helpful and apologetic about everything.

___________10/26/15 Review_____________

Poor communication, long build times and not feeling like a valued customer are a few of the things that made this experience unpleasant.

We were finally able to convince our boss to buy a new decked out PC workstation for 3D and Visual Effects. I have had problems with the "Maingear Experience" since the beginning. I ordered the Quantum Shift (no longer available) on 9/15/15. I Customized it to have dual 12 core Xeon-E5 processors, 4 Nvidia GTX Titan X GPU's and 128gb ram. With all of the upgrades it came out to be about 15k.

After ordering it online it took a week for them just to order the parts. I soon received a call saying that their online build system was wrong and that my configuration didn't fit into the Quantum Shift chassis. They made it sound like they were giving us an "upgrade" by building it with The Force Chassis. The chassis looks nice but it's not really what I wanted.

Throughout the long 6 week wait, I had to email them for updates on my PC to find out where they were in the process. When they did actually send a computer automated update it would give an approximate ship date. It would have been better to say "You may receive an update on the build status on this date." The approximate ship dates were very inaccurate.

A concern that I have with my customized system is that they don't give any option for GPU cooling. I thought that for the price it would include some type of water cooling but it doesn't. If you go with gaming desktop instead of a workstation setup they give you a GPU cooling option but you don't have the option for dual or high core processors.

Part of the frustration with poor communication from Maingear is they do things without notification or asking. When we orderd online we paid for express shipping so that we could get it sooner. When I finally got the tracking number I discovered that they sent it freight and it would take a week to get. I emailed them and they said that any units over 10k they ship freight. That would have been nice to know upfront before we paid for faster shipping and/or someone contacted us to inform us of that policy.

I waited to write this review after I setup my new PC to have a more accurate opinion. After setting it up. I discovered that one of the fans that helps cool the GPU's is not working. I emailed them with the video of the fan and have yet to hear any response. After their extensive build and testing process and them shipping it freight as to protect it from damage it still comes not working 100%.

In summary, for the price and my experience I would not recommend Maingear. We had plans to buy a couple more similar units and I can say that we will be looking at other options.

"This review is updated on Oct. 26 following feedback from Maingear.
I had an initial problem with their service due to a busy season for them. The problem I had with my order was that after I had placed the order, I decided to make a change to the system (changing the RAID configuration). I spoke to technical support on the phone, emailed the sales department, and placed an update note on the order. The first two were responded two and stated that my change would be done. Unfortunately, when I received my computer, the system was not in the configuration I requested.
I called Maingear and they apologized and offered to walk me through the process of reformatting the system and setting things up again. Unfortunately, this process would take many hours that I do not have, so I declined their offer to help me fix it myself. I will use the system in the less desireable configuration.
Following some back and forth with customer service over the subsequent months, an good arrangement was reached that provided me with the security I was hoping for in the event of a hard drive failure. Although not an ideal situation, they did keep up their end to work out a fair solution.
As an aside, there were issues with missing promotional materials that were part of specials that were never received, but they have instead replaced that with other promotional materials.
Although there were some pros and cons to the overall experience with Maingear, the pros outweighed the cons and I appreciate the efforts they have gone to in order to make sure that I am satisfied.
I would strongly consider buying my next system from Maingear again.
Also, the system runs beautifully, quietly, and is extremely well constructed.

"I purchased my Shift - X99 from Maingear and have been thrilled with its performance from Day 1. I use the computer not only for heavy gaming but also video & photo production. With an amazing processor and plenty of RAM, my custom computer gives me all the performance that I could ever need.
I ran into a problem today with the computer not able to boot up at all, even into BIOS. I called technical support, and the help was immediate and totally comprehensive. Step by step, the technician had me go through steps to try and narrow down the problem. His goal was to get my computer running, no matter how long he had to take. He finally narrowed it down to a problem with 1 of the 6 internal Hard Drives that I have. (The drive was one that I had on an older non-Maingear computer.) He talked me through finding out exactly which drive had the problem, and even had me go through steps to reassure himself that it was a faulty drive and not a faulty connection or other problem with the computer.
I have never owned a computer from a company where the technical support was as good. At all times I felt that they really wanted to help me and that I was not in any way a bother to them or imposing on them.
I would recommend them whole heartedly!

"I use game engines for school, so i purchased the pulse 15 to tide me over until i can make the jump to a desktop. It's it does what i need it too, and it's perfect for playing game when i want to relax. Great product and excellent costumer service. Another good point is that the laptop was shipped in cool box that kept it suspended in the middle."

"There was a problem with the computer. However, Maingear took complete ownership of the issue and resolved the problem."

This review was modified by HotwireLBH3 on November 12 2015 08:22:01 AM

"I am a partner at one of the nation's largest employment law firms exclusively representing management. Therefore, from a professional standpoint, I handle legal problems that arise from companies that have bad customer service. As a consumer, I deal with bad customer service from most companies ranging from multiple fruitless calls; being hung-up on; dealing with customer service representatives who read a script and then pass the buck. However, MainGear customer service was sublime, no endless automated system; spoke with a knowledgeable human almost immediately; Jake ran a diagnosis immediately and fixed the problem (Hurrah for Jake) and his boss Ivan made sure all of his employees are just as good as Jake! Congratulations A++++++ Customer for life!"

"We purchased our first Maingear system in December of 2012 - an F131. It was a wonderful system and very well design and built. There were a few problems of course that a former member of their company (I was informed that he is no longer with them) was able to rectify: I was told over the phone that AMD systems had UEFI when they did not and when we found out four months later trying to boot something that required UEFI he was very quick to fix it.

After that incident, all was fine. In fact, we even sent the F131 in for a ~$220+ upgrade - to get a new PSU (AX860 and Liquid Cooling). The person I spoke to and had it done was Joe who was again a very good person to work with and you'll find that throughout all of Maingear.

[Updated to Reflect Changes to Circumstances as of 9/23/2015]

In nearly three years time I've truly only had to use the RMA process twice: a DVD player that had its face plate broken during the return trip from New Jersey to Washington, D.C. and a recent incident over the GPU: rapid signal losses over HDMI and DisplayPort.

The first RMA went excellently and actually they didn't want the DVD drive back due to the fact they told me shipping for it would be covered by them which would make logical since as the DVD drive only lost its face plate in the first place due to transit between NJ and WDC. So we really have spare DVD drive though it's doubtful we'll ever need it in the service life of this F131.

The second RMA got off to a good start but had a "rocky middle." This really also the only time I would consider as "having to use the warranty." The GPU had begun to show signs of failure so Maingear attempted to replace it with what I was told was their last MSI Twin Frozr 660Ti but by the time it arrived from New Jersey the box was so bashed up and beaten it was remarkable the card worked at all. To continue on this, the card was actually rather damaged as it turns out: it's physically bent near the back where the power connectors are, it's voltages are highly unstable, and the GPU reached a temperature that resulted in the F131 shutting down automatically. Now we are using MSI Afterburner to force the clock speeds down and fan speeds up which has thankfully worked so far.

It took a few days of back and forth calling and emailing between Jake, Jeremy, and eventually Ron who essentially does what Chris (mentioned earlier in the review) used to do. Unfortunately, there is no direct path from the 660Ti to the nVidia 900 series cards - no 960Ti. That only left the 960 and the 970. Due to the fact there was no middle ground, there was "complications" in determining which would be the appropriate product.

Eventually, we agreed upon the 960 but not any 960 - the MSI OC 4GB Gaming GeForce GTX 960 which is a compromise between a basic 960 and the 970: essentially the middle ground though I admit that the cut to Memory Bandwidth (144.2GB/sec to 98GB/sec and Memory Bus (from 192bit to 128bit) does concern us - even with the advancements made with the Maxwell architecture since we use multi-monitors in a 4:4:4 color space (duplicated to a big projector via WHDI or Wireless HDMI). However, many reviews say that nVidia's memory compression technology in Maxwell is the reason behind why they can lower the physical width of the bus but still compete and beat out 512bit cards offered by AMD.

I should also make a note here that Maingear will be paying the shipping costs for the return of the malfunctioning and damaged GPU.

Hopefully this card can maintain the performance seen by the three generation old 660Ti on "Very High" in Star Citizen - minor struggles in the hanger and looking at certain things on ArkCorp but not a hint of a problem in space. That's really what we were looking for.

I should make a note here too that Ron, who noticed that Star Citizen seems to be one of the primary games played on the F131, sent us code for a Mustang Omega package as well (a $60 value for anyone keeping count) which was rather generous of him to do.

Considering all the facts, would we buy a Maingear again? It is extremely likely. The Maingear Shift seems to be the product we've had our eye on as a "replacement" to the F131 once it reaches the end of its "service life" and if built with the quality and care as our current F131, it will no doubt serve as an excellent upgrade in the future.

We have forwarded many people to Maingear. Nothing beats the "Made In America" feel backed by American support that understands the issues faced whether they are gaming related or general system related. They do not try to oversell you on products and advise you very well on what's appropriate for your needs. We plan on sticking with Maingear.

"I'm very satisfied with MAINGEAR and how they handled the problems I had with my PC. Would recommend them to anyone looking for a good pre-built PC."

"Four years ago, I purchased a F131 Super Sport desktop PC, and it has performed very well since new. Shortly thereafter I purchased a second PC, an eX-L15 laptop, which has performed flawlessly. Over those four years, I only needed to call Maingear on a few occasions, for answers to simple technical questions. Their employees were happy to answer those questions.

Recently, I needed to contact Maingear for some technical assistance related to a hardware upgrade that I would perform. In preparation for the upgrade, I spoke with Tech Support employee, Jeremy Chisamore, a couple of times, for answers to some simple preliminary questions. Jeremy was helpful and unhurried with those questions and I decided to speak with him during the actual upgrade process because I had not done this kind of upgrade before. The upgrade should have been fairly simple and not time consuming.

Well, when Jeremy and I attempted to tackle the procedure, we ran into a very strange problem, that turned out to be a hybrid hardware/software issue, which required an extensive test of Jeremy's technical and trouble-shooting capabilities – as well as a considerable amount of our time. But after taking a step-by-step approach to carefully narrowing down what the problem might be, Jeremy was eventually able to identify the esoteric problem and then easily remedy it.

I'm very grateful for Jeremy's able assistance and his time, and after that frustrating project I'm now even more committed to relying on Maingear for my future PC needs. I don't expect to be in the market in the near term for another PC, but I'm already looking forward to the purchase of my next Maingear computer. Thank you, Maingear for hiring such well qualified employees, as Jeremy.

"I had a superb experience with Maingear and it really is my pleasure to take the time to write this review. Maingear caught my eye initially with their new parts and relatively low pricing compared to other custom PC builders. On top of this, I contacted them and informed them that I had a very similar set-up planned with one of their competitors and I was on the fence. I also sent this same e-mail to the other company.

What happened? The other company (supposedly reputable) simply never got back to me. On the other hand, a friendly and informative Maingear rep e-mailed me back within an hour of my e-mail. He offered me some additional suggestions and savings that put Maingear over the mark for me. Thank you Jeremy Chisamore and Anthony Cali at Maingear, you guys are an asset to the organization!

With that said, I received my rig not but two weeks ago and have been loving its performance and build quality. It's also worth noting that Maingear stocks very new components, they got in the Nvidia 6GB Titan very quickly after it was released and integrated into their options system.

I am totally satisfied with the process, customer interaction/communication, price and performance of Maingear, I highly recommend them!

Chassis: Vybe Windowed Compact Mid-Tower Case Included
Memory: 16GB Corsair® VengeanceT
DDR3-1600 1.5V (2x8GB)
Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: NVIDIA®
GeForceT GTX 980 Ti 6GB GDDR5 w/PhysX

"My second Maingear! I'm a lifer! Fast, durable and dependable. My five year old tower is still running like a dream. I just bought a laptop for business after loving the tower at home."

"Placed my order in late May and by early June, as promised, I was experiencing smooth and fast gaming with my first ever PC. My Potenza is a compact machine that runs cool and quiet.

While I did not intended to build a computer myself, I priced out the parts and found that Maingear's markup was a great value. I got a professional build, system testing, warranty and support for a very acceptable price. For my money the value added was a bargain.

Maingear delivered the product, service, and price I wanted and I even like the T-shirt.
Highly recommended!

CPU: i5 4690
Graphics: GTX 970

Share Maingear Computers's store rating

Maingear Computers is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Maingear Computers is a merchant member
Maingear Computers participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 2,677 merchant members.