Product & services pricing Rating 7.00/10 7.00/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 6.50/10 6.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 7.00/10 7.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 6.00/10 6.00/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

"Had a ceiling fan in my office go bad on me. I ordered a new part fot it, they didn't ship it out and I cancelled that order and bought a new Hunter Fan from lightingdirect.com. I have a lot of experience with Hunter Ceiling fans, they are the best in my view, so I ordered one and the day it got here, I installed it. It is running beautifully and so quiet too. I couldn't beat the price, I shopped around and found this fan for a lot more money at local stores. Finally, the main reason I buy a lot of things on-line is the expediency in their shipping, they had this fan to me nearly before my credit card company could charge me for it, that is pretty incredible. Glad I stuck with Hunter and lightingdirect.com. Al Hintz"

modified review This review was modified by allenhintz on December 14 2014 07:47:08 AM

"2 poch lights purchased, Hinckley lighting 1800, purchsed on November 3, 2014.

We began our search for porch lighting in late October, 2014. Our newly purchased house was built in 1938. The big box stores offered several styles, however, the quality of the materials used in their selections did not meet our expectations for specific design alignment, also we questioned the longevity, of the big box store products, i.e. the brass and or bronze etc. was painted, not the real deal. We were less than enthusiastic. Our canvassing of the internet provided us with a bit of luck. We purchsed 2 porch lights from lightingdirect.com, Hinckley lighting 1800, and the result is appropriate in fulfilling our interest to faithfully restore the pre world war two house that is beginning to resemble our home. Being aware of the styles and quality offered at lightingdirect.com. our future search will be shortened by going directly to their web site.

Sincerely,

Charles Luskin
Ocean City, New jersey

"I recently purchased 3 outdoor light fixtures from lightingdirect.com. Two were OK, but one of them came broken (glass is cracked all the way down the middle) and missing pieces. I emailed customer service about the broken glass/missing parts and they didn't respond. I emailed them again and someone wrote back and apologized for not responding earlier and said she would check with the light supplier and get back to me. Never heard back. Emailed three more times... nothing. Now I have a $300 light fixture that is broken and totally unusable. So, pretty much the worst experience/result possible... THANKS LIGHTING DIRECT! If you are looking for good prices on products that you will never be able to install, this is your company :)"

modified review This review was modified by NickiGE on November 16 2014 10:26:07 AM

"This review is for the business practices at LightingDirect.com/Build.com. I originally was going to review the Maxim undercabinet lights I bought from them at 4 stars, only because the girl I spoke to there actually knew what she was talking about, unlike my other experiences, but after they badgered me to write a review they had the nerve to actually REJECT my positive review - just like other customer's noted below, so it is important for people to know they are sneaky and only post 5 star reviews. Note to company: Don't solicit reviews if you don't want them and waste my time. BTW - here is a copy of their response and my original review so the public at large can see for themselves.
Their response: "Lesley, Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time! "
My original review: Good direct-wire kitchen lights -
I've had these in for several weeks now and overall I am satisfied with them. They were a little more "blue" than the lights from Lowe's I was trying to match so you can tell a slight difference but they offered the flexibility in sizing for smaller cabinets I couldn't get elsewhere. This was the first company that actually knew the products they were selliing (seller AND manufacturer) and understood that direct wire means no junction boxes or other electrical boxes inside the cabinet!) My electrician was happy to see they could be directly wired with no complications. One of the lights did flicker a bit, which is a small defect in the light itself but since it was already installed by the electrician and it doesn't always do it I decided to leave it alone. This, and the color, is why I don't give it 5 stars.

LightingDirect.com / Build.com Inc. User

"We recently remodeled some rooms in our home and used lighting direct for new sconces, chandelier, ceiling lights , ceiling fan and light kit. All came in great condition. A couple later than I expected but when I contacted customer service they were right on it. Very helpful. Good prices."

"I recently purchased several lights from LightingDirect.com. Within 10 days, all of the lights had arrived, with only one glass shade getting damaged in transit. All of the other lights arrived in good condition and as advertised. Upon calling about the shattered glass piece, I was extremely pleased with how easy and professional the customer service was. They indicated they would ship me a new glass shade right away and I did not need to send anything back since nothing else was damaged.

A few days later, I decided to return a couple of the lights for interior design reasons and they were just as helpful and quick. In less than 24 hours, they have sent me all the return labels and instructions to send the lights back.

I always naturally get a little nervous buying from a new company online, but I have been very impressed with the level of service, pricing, and prompt shipment of my order. This was a great first-time buying experience!

"I have bought from this company (and their other incarnations, build.com, etc) several times. It is a hit and miss in terms of promptness of shipping -- even if the site says the product is in stock, shipping can be delayed and then delayed again. Returns and order cancellations are usually painless though.

What I noticed is when I submitted a negative product review to their site, it hasn't been posted (I submitted it weeks ago, it was written very politely, so no reason to reject the review). So beware that their product reviews are probably filtered and biased.

modified review This review was modified by O888 on January 18 2014 11:52:16 AM

"BEWARE! They charge credit card immediately and don't ship product until at least a week later, in my case confirmation stated 7/11/13. BUT on 7/10/13 I got an email stating that the lamp would now ship on 8/23 (yes, AUGUST 23rd!!!). I cancelled. Bottom line: These guys have NO PRODUCT IN STOCK (even though their web-site states they do) and are only a pass-through site to manufacturers."

modified review This review was modified by Squiredc on July 11 2013 05:30:22 AM

"+ I've made 5 purchases in the past 2 months and have been very pleased. Their website is easy to use and I appreciate their online inventory availability.

+ shipping has been very quick and items well-packed. Every light fixture I bought had glass in it and everything arrived intact.

"I was looking for some lights that had been discontinued by the manufacturer. When I found them on LightingDirect.com at half of what other stores were selling them for, I was quite happy. Then, when their shipping costs to Alaska were about half of what other vendors wanted to charge, I thought it was too good to be true. I'm glad I took a chance and placed my order; today, less than a week after placing my order, the lights arrived. I couldn't be more pleased with Lighting Direct.com."

modified review This review was modified by BusyBea04 on March 04 2013 04:44:08 PM

"I placed an order for a light fixture that didn't have any notice of being back-ordered or out of stock on July 13th. The item page and order email said it would ship in 1-2 days. Great!
5 days later... I got an email saying that it was back-ordered and my estimated ship date was August 7th!
I was annoyed but decided to just wait on it.
About a week later, I saw that my credit card had already been charged for it. Personally, I think it's wrong to be charged for back-ordered items before they're available. I contacted customer service and told them I was not pleased with this order in ANY way. They wrote back the standard "...blah, blah, we'll look in to it..." and I never got anything else.
The item shipped on August 2nd and took almost 2 weeks to get to me.
I will NOT be shopping with LightingDirect.com ever again!

"I planned to buy 3 items from Lightingdirect.com, had them in my shopping cart and requested a price match from a live chat operator on 2 of the items. Both of the items had a "Low price Guarantee" icon on their page and met the criteria of the price match. I provided URLs to the two sites that had lower prices and the chat operator said they couldn't match those prices and ended the chat session."

"I have made three purchases within the past two months from Lighting Direct.com. The products represented are of a high quality and I have no issues with the the products. I have had issues in two areas, however. The first has been the accuracy of the product descriptions. Twice I have purchased fixtures that were represented as one size & on arriving were so large as to not fit in the required area. Of these occasions, I paid to ship the item back at my own cost. After pushing the issue, a shipping return label was provided for the second. The major issue I have with the company is a highly questionable business practice. Each time I have returned an item, three times now, a credit has not been issued for the returned item. Only when I call customer service & request they research the return has a credit been issued. In the latest case, despite an order number, a return number & an RGA number, the agent was unable to track & confirm whether the item had been received. I was required to provide the tracking number & return receipt date in order to request a credit. Additionally, despite having received a shipping return label due to errors on the company's part, I was charged for the shipping; this was ultimately rectified. A refund should be automatic, not a process that requires the customer to ask for his/her money back weeks after the product has been returned."

"My wife and I ordered a 2-light and 3-light fixture from LightingDirect.com for a house we just bought. Their website said that they would ship in 2-5 days, which was fine. After ordering, we got an email saying that the fixtures would not ship for over three weeks, which did not work for the 3-light fixture because we needed it by a certain time.

I called to cancel the 3- light fixture but told LightingDirect to send the 2-light one. Instead, LightingDirect sent the 3-light fixture and canceled the 2-light one!

As if all thi9s wasn't bad enough, the UPS shipping label they sent to return the 3-light fixture did not include shipping charges, meaning we would have to pay them. When I called to complain and told them that we're not willing to pay shipping for their mistake, Kay was very nice and said she'd send me another label. But the second label also did not include shipping charges.

At this point, LightingDirect would have to give me the 2-light fixture for free to make up for all my time they've wasted and the hassle they've caused. I will never use this company again and would recommend that others do the same. This is by far the worst online shipping experience I've ever had. The people I talked to on the phone were all nice and seemed to be trying to help, but the management of this company is obviously incompetent, uncaring, or both. There's no way that any of this should have happened, and to have it all happen in one order is beyond inexcusable.

"I placed an order from lighting direct for lighting fixtured from Meyda Tiffany on 9/17/2011 Order total $288.00. I had a delivery date set in early October 2011, they pushed it out until November 2011, December 2011, two dates in January and now February 22, 2012. When I have called both companies they blame it on each other and at times, the Chinese company Meyda out sourses to. I have complained and gotten the run around. But, today Jessie(very professional) at Lightng direct has assured me she will e-mail me on Monday 2/13/2012 with a resolution. Lets see what happends! To Medya Tiffany, I do business with China too, pay your bill to then so they will ship my order, you have my money!!"

LightingDirect.com / Build.com Inc. is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

LightingDirect.com / Build.com Inc. is not a merchant member
LightingDirect.com / Build.com Inc. does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!