Stores > LL Bean
  • LL Bean

Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
Voice your opinion! Review LL Bean by clicking a star below.
2017-04-23

Almost a month.

"My experience is same as Rose. My order was placed almost a month ago and still has not shipped. My order included 2 pairs of pants which I requested altered. I was told they revamped the alterations dept. and to expect a delay. That was 2 weeks ago. Sent an email the other day to get status and got some generic apology response from CEO which they probably send to everyone. Still don't know status of my order. Not acceptable from a company that makes billions of dollars from its customers "

2017-04-20

Order still not shipped after 12 days. Cannot get any status on when it will ship.

"I have been a LL Bean customer for over 30 years. Never, never in all the years I have purchased merchandise from them have I experienced such a horrible customer experience. I order two items (one of them a gift), which were in stock and figured I would experience the "normal" LL Bean efficiency and customer service. How could I have known that all of that has gone out the window? After 7 days the order was still "in processing". I emailed to get a status on why the order had not shipped. I was told that they were "upgrading" the system and that things would be delayed slightly and that my order would ship the next week. Fine, I thought. Well, here I am 12 days later and still no status change, no information, no communication with the customer. So, I called Customer Service and basically they were apologetic, but really didn't tell me anything new. They have no way to check the status, no way to give any indication of when an order might ship.

Whoever is running and planned this so-called "upgrade", doesn't understand the impact on the LL Bean business. It was poorly planned and is not going well. I work in the "enterprise software" industry and these massive upgrades need to be planned to most finite detail and actually plan for "bad things" to happen. Sounds like this one was not planned well at all by an experienced person.

I have instructions to call again if I do not get a shipping notification in 3 days and they will order and ship from a store, but I am not optimistic, at this point. They've lost my trust -- and maybe a life-long customer. I could have driven up to Freeport, ME myself and had a more pleasing purchasing experience and received my merchandise on the spot.

Very disappointed.

2016-12-26

Guaranteed is not guaranteed.

"2 gifts I order, "guaranteed" by 12/25/16 did not come. Customer service stated the guarantee was for the package to get to my town, not me! I was offered a $25 gift card and to speak with a supervisor. I explained my son is in from out of the country and due to cost I can't forward the package to him. The supervisor said there was nothing she could do and offered me a $10 gift card ($15 less than the earlier $25 offer). I cancelled the order and declined the gift card. Please be aware that LL Bean does not uphold it's printed guarantees, which I wonder about the LL Bean representations about it's clothing."

2016-12-17

ABSOLUTELY NOT CHRISTMAS FRIENDLY!

"Looking for valid Coupon to save $$ for Xmas; spoke to **** online (and he really was one) simply said NO!!!, not interested in working with customer! Didn't offer to spk/w manager; I guess LL Beam is more interested in making $$$$ than having repeat customers! Not good; Despite loving their products, been a loyal customer, I will never shop again!"

2016-10-21

Deteriorating Product Quality, Manipulating Product Reviews

"I have been a long time llbean customer. The last few years, I have noticed that the product quality has deteriorated. Most recently, I purchased a pair of boots and hiking shoes. The leather boots were cheap looking, were cut much smaller than my llbean boots from years earlier, and had a lot of excess leather in the ankle area that just stuck out. The hiking shoes were also cut very narrow and not true to size. I was surprised by the positive reviews on these items, so I decided to post a review so others would know the problems that I found. To my surprise, a day after posting the “one star” reviews I received an email stating that llbean could not post my review because it did not meet their guidelines. I reviewed the guidelines, and there was nothing inappropriate about my review. I guess they consider a “one star” review to be against their guidelines. Their email said to read their guidelines, and resubmit the reviews. Now here is where things get strange. I log into my llbean account, and under my profile, I no longer had a reviewer user name, and all of my prior reviews were nowhere to be found. They deleted all my reviews! When I attempted to create a new user name to post a review, I found I was blocked by their system from posting reviews. They gladly take my money, and then block me from posting reviews.

Llbean is removing valid negative user reviews. You cannot trust the reviews of their products. They are either fake, or the product rating number is severely manipulated by removing or severely limiting any negative reviews. So, products that seem to have glowing four or five star reviews, would probably in reality have a much lower rating if llbean allowed honest negative reviews. I have shopped there for more than 10 years, and thought they were an honest company. We do not have any of their retail stores in our area, so I, like many others, have to count on the validity of the product ratings on their website. I have learned my lesson. You cannot trust llbean to deal with their customers in an honest manner. Manipulating the product reviews deceives you into believing a product is of a higher quality than it is. Also, on the quality issue, their products have become lower in quality than they were when I first started shopping there. They now outsource everything to a number of foreign countries. The sizing of clothing and footwear is inconsistent, the clothing falls apart -- down jackets “leak” down, zippers do not work, and things in general have a cheap appearance and short life span. I continued to shop at llbean over the years even though their prices have steadily and drastically increased. They have now lost a customer. Llbean has not only outsourced their products offshore, they have apparently outsourced their integrity also.

2016-10-14

Wors Company ever! Cancel orders...

"I order my gopro hero5 for $320 with coupon 20% OFF! And they send me email after 10 days that Out of Stock! They cancel my order without my approve!"

2016-02-25

Fails in Integrity on Sizing, Exchange, and Review Posting

"Have ordered from LL Bean in past years and gotten gifts. While products appear to be high in quality, it is clear from reading reviews that the company has been cheapening manufacturing in both labor and materials. But where LL Bean does not work well clearly is in bringing Integrity into sizing charts for products, in making an exchange, and in posting a review. Recently I ordered a pair of men's jeans. I usually try jeans on to ensure fit, but because LL Bean promotes itself as high in customer service and satisfaction, I ordered having no experience with their jeans. I measured my waist and inseam several times as well as used existing jeans to determine actual measurements, then compared to their sizing chart. What I received, however following their own sizing chart, was a pair of jeans that are too big. When for the first time I looked into making a return and would have considered an exchange, I learned that this is where LL Bean makes their money: they charge $6.50 for the return if you don't live near one of their stores, or you can pay your own shipping costs directly. One actual incentive is to donate the item and take a tax write off if that is beneficial; and not make another purchase from LL Bean. I also submitted a review, and LL Bean rejected it with an email suggesting it did not conform to their review guidelines. I found that my review did conform, and I sent them an email upon which I am awaiting reply. I do not recommend LL Bean unless the product actually comes as stated, fits perfectly, and lasts like they say it will. Otherwise, customer dissatisfaction and additional costs are the result. All of these breakdowns I share today would get resolved if LL Bean got their size charts in line with the products actual sizing, had Quality Assurance on product manufacture for integrity in matching to existing size charts, offered at least 1 free exchange, and posted a review even if they didn't like that it was perceived as negative. Until then, LL Bean is not recommended and not a retailer I will be shopping from in future."

2015-12-12

"Would give zero stars if possible. Used LL Bean's sizing chart on women's housecoats to purchase a fleece robe for my wife. Her arms would have had to be 8 inches longer to make this fit. Additionally, the robe was not the heavy duty robe they make it out to be. They then charged me $6.50 to send the robe back for a refund. This is the LL Bean definition of "completely satisfied". This negative review was submitted on their site and they said it "violated their review standards" and they refused to post it. I guess they only permit a certain number of vague negative reviews on their site at one time. This is no longer the reliable, customer focused, high quality company they once were. I have made my last purchase from them. They have no honor as a retailer any longer. Very disappointing."

2015-11-13

"I have ordered from LL Bean for many years and been a happy customer overall. However, the past few years everything has changed and they don't seem or act like the same company at all. Their Customer Service is horrid and while you can still return items for a refund or exchange, they will not refund full price of returned items if they are defective AFTER the return period. Instead, they give a "reduced" or "last sold price" gift card for whatever amount they say it last sold for. This is NOT published online and I lost a lot of value returning a coat that had the zipper to constantly stick on it. All I wanted was an equal exchange for the same value of the original price of the coat, no more and no less. What I got was about 35% of the original value in a gift card. Also, they REFUSE to publish any negative reviews of their cloths. I have had two rejected in the last 6 months that did NOT violate any guidelines and were professional. They HIGHLY criticized the quality and sizing stating they are WAY off in terms of fit and many sweaters and shirts are at least one size too LARGE. Also, the sweaters stretch and don't hold their shape well. It's not just me, as others I know have had negative reviews rejected as well. Bottom line is you can no longer trust LL Bean reviews on the web site. Use CAUTION when buying and know the reviews are FAKE or only those not critical. LL Bean has gone downhill big time and I look elsewhere now."

2015-11-06

"I've been purchasing from LL Bean for many years and have always been satisfied, however my last few purchases have been quite disappointing. I had a pair of boots fall apart at the sole too quickly (after a few times usage!) and a pair of rubber clogs I just purchased were made cheaply as well. The fit of the clogs was terrible. I also purchased 4 pairs of wool socks and 2 pair EACH had flaws and had to be returned. When I went to review the clogs online, they would NOT post my review because it had 2 stars. I noticed this another time when I went to put a review up. They are NOT allowing bad reviews. I hope LL Bean is not going downhill, but they have not been up to par lately."

2015-09-25

"Order incomplete. Missing binoculars from the order. Business refused to acknowledge and claimed that this was impossible. Zero follow up and I had to keep calling to little avail. Was pushed around various departments with not a single department claiming responsibility. COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE. DO NOT BUY UNLESS YOU WANT TO FEEL PAIN AND DESPAIR AT DEALING WITH SUCH TERRIBLE COMPANIES IN THIS AGE AND TIME.

2015-02-04

"I am super stoked today. My kayak had started leaking while on a trip to Florida. I took it back to my local LL Bean store today and they provided me with a brand new boat at zero cost. They absolutely have a customer for life.

Stephen C. Plut
www.flyfishingsimplified.com
@flyfishingsimpl

2014-12-23

"Just wrote a mediocre review on their beanboots because the quality isn't up to expectations, and got rejected saying I needed to revise because it doesn't meet their guidelines. Upon reviewing their guidelines, I don't think I violated any of them: got detailed description, no foul language, and even ended on an upnote, No wonder most the reviews are ravingly positive. Suddenly the "good feeling" company doesn't seem that warm and fuzzy anymore."

2014-03-18

"LL Bean absolutely REFUSES to publish any comment that is not flattering to their products. (CHERRY PICKING). They outsource their manufacturing of garments to El Salvador. IF you make note of this FACT in your review - BAM...NOT PUBLISHED. IF you make reference to the FACT that their products quality has slipped and is not as good as years ago - BAM...NOT PUBLISHED !!! Just try to get a refund from unused gift cards. They will ignore you until you threaten to turn them in for FRAUD. LL BEAN IS A SCAM AND A RIPOFF."

2013-07-31

"LL Bean has to offer other Mfg product lines that are made in Asia, in order to compete. They had to change their exchange-replacement-refund policy due to the global economy. Overall, their products are of very good quality, there prices are about the same as other major on-line resellers.

My major beef is their Customer Service "Carousel" system of responding to email complaints and questions. A complaint that requires some details and requests from LL Bean for more information. The next rep that reads my response doesn't read the original email I sent and I get a worthless answer to my original complaint. I email a reply and get an apology and more FLUFF. Terrible Customer Service system.

I have done business with LL Bean for over 40 years. I will no longer look at LL BEAN first when shopping for my outdoor gear and clothes. Lowest price for similar product now gets my business.

Share LL Bean's store rating

LL Bean is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

LL Bean is not a merchant member
LL Bean does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!