"LL Bean absolutely REFUSES to publish any comment that is not flattering to their products. (CHERRY PICKING). They outsource their manufacturing of garments to El Salvador. IF you make note of this FACT in your review - BAM...NOT PUBLISHED. IF you make reference to the FACT that their products quality has slipped and is not as good as years ago - BAM...NOT PUBLISHED !!! Just try to get a refund from unused gift cards. They will ignore you until you threaten to turn them in for FRAUD. LL BEAN IS A SCAM AND A RIPOFF."

modified review This review was modified by Hogue5760 on March 18 2014 12:55:14 PM

"LL Bean has to offer other Mfg product lines that are made in Asia, in order to compete. They had to change their exchange-replacement-refund policy due to the global economy. Overall, their products are of very good quality, there prices are about the same as other major on-line resellers.

My major beef is their Customer Service "Carousel" system of responding to email complaints and questions. A complaint that requires some details and requests from LL Bean for more information. The next rep that reads my response doesn't read the original email I sent and I get a worthless answer to my original complaint. I email a reply and get an apology and more FLUFF. Terrible Customer Service system.

I have done business with LL Bean for over 40 years. I will no longer look at LL BEAN first when shopping for my outdoor gear and clothes. Lowest price for similar product now gets my business.

modified review This review was modified by miket156 on July 31 2013 07:38:40 AM

jesssim's Avatar
Boston

"Perfect for winter cold nights, hot tea, and nice sweaters for the family... great gifts for the holidays!"

"LL Bean's return policy used to be legendary. However, in the past few years it has changed. Beware.

I bought a jacket, that after a few years of light use started to fall apart. When I tried to exchange it, I only received a gift card for the last price they had on record for that item (final clearance price). And, I can't even get my old jacket back. Once they receive the item, you're out of choices.

They would not exchange it for a new jacket. The trick here is that even though the current product they offer has the same name, it does not have the same product number. By changing the product numbers every few years, they can make sure you will not be able to exchange your purchase or return it for anywhere near the original purchase price (since the last price on record is always a clearance price).

LL Bean's prices are not cheap, their quality is not exceptional, and now their return/exchange policy is essentially the same as any other store. They're coasting on their old reputation, and there's really no reason to shop there now. Basically, treat a purchase from them like a purchase from any other retailer, and don't delude yourself into thinking if your product starts to fall apart after a few years you can still get it repaired/replaced.

"I originally ordered backpacks from L.L. Bean back in June of 2009 for my daughters for school. I was told that their backpacks will outlast any backpack I would buy at Walmart or other department stores.

I paid good money for the backpacks (about $42.90 with a monogram or $34.90 without the monogram). It was pricey to me but I took a gamble because I was tired of replacing backpacks from other stores only after half of the school year had past.

Well towards the end of the school year of 2011-2012, one of the backpacks' zipper broke. We tried to fix it ourselves but the zipper was still was broken.

At first I was irritated because the backpack only lasted 2 years. Granted it lasted longer than any other backpack that we bought from any other store and the fabric part of the backpack was still in good shape and would probably last another 2 years easily, but the zippers are a key issue with the backpack to secure your books and papers.

I was hoping for more; a longer period without paying for another backpack for the price I paid.

I heard through the internet rumors that L.L. Bean will replace or fix the backpack so I contacted L.L. Bean and informed them of the zipper issue. They had a link to their website that would assist in returning the items and that they would repair/replace the item at no cost to me.

Wow....a business that still honors their customers and stands by their products. You do not find this very often in this day and age.

We sent the backpack back and within a couples days after shipping the backpack, we got called by L.L. Bean and they stated that they were going to replace the backpack instead of fixing it and they advised us that they did not have the same pattern/color so they had us choose a new one and they wanted to know if we wanted it monogrammed like the first one. They were going to monogram it like the first one and would ship it back.

The backpack is scheduled to be delivered by UPS next Tuesday. It even shows on the status order that I will get a small refund (around $10), due to the drop in prices of the backpack from the original backpack and the current same model of backpack which was totally unexpected.

The best part to me is, I get a new backpack for my daughter because the company stands by their product and honor their commitment to their customers and I did not pay for another backpack.

It might be pricey at first glance, but the products are better and they stand by their products and try to keep their customers happy.

Thank you.

modified review This review was modified by Sgt David on July 11 2012 05:15:45 PM

"They always do a great job and ship promptly."

"Just abouth the best company you will ever have dealings with. Great products, great service, great fringe benefits if you have their CC, friendly employees and a great place to visit...if you are ever near their sprawling campus in Freeport, ME."

"LL Bean has been my favorite store for years, and I was heartbroken when I moved to a new location and wasn't exactly close to a physical store. Thankfully I have started purchasing from their website which I am in love with. I purchased a new camping tent last week and was pleased at punch to get it with no shipping costs. It was a smoking deal!

"Item arrived quite quickly, considering it probably shipped from ME to CA. When I needed to exchange, the CSR clearly explained I would be billed again for the new item, and when they would receive the old one back, they'd credit me for it, which they did in a reasonable amount of time.

They do not have free returns unless you have a credit card through them: returns cost 6.50, which they deduct from the refund. This too was clearly stated on the return label.

"General Comments - What happen to the GREAT service at LL Bean? It was not too long ago when you could order something from LL Bean and have it delivered in 1 to 2 days (I’m located in Virginia). Everything they sold was high quality and the service was the best in the industry. Today it takes 7 to 10 days for the order to arrive and the products are average. My last order was ordered on 10/11 and received on 10/19 (I did have something hemmed but that use to take 1 day). They have changed something in the past 2 years, and it wasn’t for the better! If someone from LL Bean reads this I just want you to know I was one of those customers whose closet was full of LL Bean, now I only order once or twice a year. I would love for you to get back to basics, what made LL Bean one of the best in the mail order catalog stores. "

"Ordered the Lifetime warranty backpacks for my two kids. great quality. Will last them till college!"

"Excellent as usual, I am a loyal LLBean client for many years, this company never fails to have an excellent customer service, delivers on time, good product quality and never any problems with return."

"I find their merchandise generally to be good quality and have had excellent customer service experience. Their 100% statisfaction guarenteed policy is the best.

I received a zip-front sweatshirt as a gift a couple of years ago. I never wore it much, but about a year ago the zipper came apart in the wash. I finally got around to returning it. Of course I did not have an order date or number but they still sent me a replacement and also a refund check for the shipping!

You can't ask for better service.

Also, few years ago I returned a pair of Merrill boots that did not hold up well. I'd purchased them at the Freeport store in 1992 and was never totally satisfied because although they were supposed to be Gore-Tex waterproof, they were not. It was year before I sent them back with a letter of complaint. By that time they had seen heavy use but L.L. Bean still sent me a full refund (about $125).

"ll bean is only a 5 hour drive (freeport, maine) from where i live (providence, ri). i ordered the item on friday-jan 30 and 7 days later. i have STILL not received my item. customer service was not especially helpful. when i called to find out where my package was. their response: "all we can tell you is that it shipped out. we dont know where it is b/c we dont put a tracking number on items shipped free of charge. it may take up to 14 days to get to you. call back in two weeks if you have not received it.""

"Ordered flannel sheets and PJs as Christmas presents. Ordered via 2 day delivery. Confirmation and follow-up tracking e-mails and fast arrival. Products and service were great. "

LL Bean is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

LL Bean is not a merchant member
LL Bean does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!