• Address: 3 Railroad Street Fairport, NY 14450
    • Contact: techsupp@jncs.com
    • Phone: 888-806-6988 Toll Free
    • Customer Support: 888-806-6988 Toll Free
    • Business Hours: 9:00AM - 5:30 PM M, W, F 9:00AM - 9:00 PM Tu, Th CLosed Sat & Sunday
    • Fax: 585-388-8783

Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

What is this?

"After several seeming successful purchases by my extended family, they convinced me to purchase a computer from JNCS. I am now regretting that decision.

When the computer arrived, I got it set up but experienced what I would consider excessive noise. I sent an email and they told me at first that it should be no more noisy than the wife's computer which was received a few months before. They later said it could be more noisy since mine has more fans.

Since one fan seemed to produce the most noise, they sent out replacements and I changed out one myself. It decreased the issue, but I then realized the power supply was creating quite a racket by itself. They agreed to send out a replacement if I was willing to put it in. I agreed, and waited. A month later, with no power supply in sight, I asked for a status. It was never sent due to "misinterpreting" what I wanted. I wanted to save myself time without a computer and JNCS the shipping cost of sending the computer back.

About this time I discovered the card reader did not work after the computer was put to sleep. I went to my wife's computer, and hers did not work either! She mentioned the JNCS computers at her work had card reader issues, and had to be rebooted to work. They would then stop working once the computer was put to sleep and woken up again.

JNCS wanted me to return the computer, but I would have to pay for shipping one way. To properly diagnose, they would need to hard drive to remain with the computer, and I have a real issue with that. Encrypt the drive they said; however, from what I have read, the encrypted drive or folders will be viewable by anyone who logs in with the Windows password, so that will give them access to my files. I'm also unwilling to spend $50 to ship a computer back to them to diagnose a $20 card reader, be without a computer for several weeks, and give them access to my files. I'd rather spend $10 to buy an external unit and write off the one installed. I am still willing to save them the shipping cost and replace the power supply myself, but curiously they are now unwilling to send it.

This has been a continuous source of frustration. I went with this brand based on input from my family, but for the extra cost in money and time, this has been the most trouble I have ever had with a computer. It's sad that the Dell I bought five years ago was quieter, half the cost, and had a functioning card reader. I'll never by JNCS again.

Edit 10/9/14. Still no word from JNCS regarding the card reader not working. They either haven't found the cause or don't care to tell me if they did. I finally bought an external card reader. It would be nice if they could at least reimburse me for that.

"J and N has been meeting my computer needs for over 10 years. As far as I'm concerned, they are the only place to purchase a computer. You can get exactly what you want, nothing more, nothing less and with none of the bloatware that's inflicted on you from mass marketers. If you know what you want, they'll build it, if you need advice, they give objective options for you to consider. When I first went to J and N, I intended to purchase components and build it myself, but with the warranty and tech support they include, why bother!
The only thing you don't get from J and N is the instant gratification of bringing home a system from the store on the same day you purchase it, but given how often that experience is rapidly followed by buyer's remorse, it's simply another benefit.
Purchasing is one thing, but what about when there is a problem. I had to return the first system I purchased from J and N years ago, as a result of a manufacturer, not a J and N issue. The process was handled expeditiously and professionally and made a long-term return customer out of me. On those occasions when I have encountered technical problem or wanted to consult on an issue, their team has always been ready, willing and able to assist. The entire process from sales to delivery is handled a by knowledgeable, customer focused team who rapidly respond to queries and don't make you feel you are imposing on them.

FletchEdit's Avatar
Los Angeles, CA

"I have been a happy customer of J&N for over 10 years, and my most recent experience with them exemplifies exactly why I keep coming back.

I had a computer which they had built 2 years ago recently die on me, and it was no longer covered by the warranty I had chosen. I was all ready to buy a whole new system from them, but, when I called, they helped me troubleshoot the problem instead (motherboard fail). Then, they talked me out of buying a new system, and rather just buying new components.

I shipped them my motherboard, CPU, and memory, and they tested to see if anything could be reused. The board and CPU were dead, but they were able to replace the latter free of charge by processing an RMA with Intel (it was under manufacturers warranty). They then installed the new CPU on a replacement motherboard with my existing RAM, and shipped it back (charging me only for the board, the assembly, and the shipping). I installed the bundle in my case, and am back up and running as good as new (and for a lot less money than I was originally expecting to pay).

I have never had a company talk me out of spending an extra thousand dollars with them I didn't have to, and that is exactly the kind of thing that makes me want to do business with them over and over. Despite living in CA (they are in NY), I never want to buy a computer, or internal components, from any other company.

"I recently ordered an Intel dz87klt-75k extreme build out from J and N. I have to say, I was extremely impressed with the professional way they stayed in touch with me through every step of the process, from notifying me of receipt of the initial order, to keeping me informed of build progress, follow up after shipping, and bailing me out of a couple of issues running Windows 7 in dual boot mode with XP. They do a terrific packing job, and the internal assembly and tie offs are superlative. I've been building PCs since an Altair in the early '70s. This is the first pre-assembled system I've ever purchased, and I'm very pleased with this transaction. The guys (and gals) at J and N pay conscientious attention to detail, customer satisfaction, and do highly accurate and diligent work.

You can buy from J and N with confidence that you'll get a fair price, and terrific customer satisfaction!

"I have been using J&N computers for years and just purchased another bundle. These guys are great! They know their stuff, they stand behind their work and support is excellent! To top it off, the prices are amazing. I priced this bundle at Newegg and the price difference was $13. So instead of a box of parts from Newegg I get an assembled motherboard that has been fully tested and I can drive there (I live in Rochester) and pick it up and save the shipping. You can't beat it! Never had an issue with their boxes but I know I could drop it off and likely pick it up the next day. If you are in the Rochester area this is the only place to get your computer."

"Excellent Business. They set up the component you select then test each item so that it works perfect when it arrives. Their Tech Service is also excellent. They'll talk you through any problem you might have and respond very quickly."

"Great service for beginning to the end. I liked the personal commitment toward their clients with professional recommendations and expertise.

We will definitely work with them again and highly recommend to others.

"Never came across a better group of hard-working, dedicated professionals devoted to customer service in all my years of buying technology from any-where. Hands down.
Customer Service is awesome because they give you build reports. Am working on this now, and that next. Final stages. Build complete.
Sales is awesome. Because they listen to you with a technical ear. They hear what you want, and actually know what you need. Big budget delivery, down to single user walking in the front door asking a question.
Pick-up or delivery is exceptional. We made an appointment (obviously local) and we arrived and everything was fully QA-ed and demo-ed. Build spec was followed, and when the manufacturer took to long to deliver a part, they upgraded us with a in-stock item.
Overall, with any human institution you are going to find problems. It isn't the problems that should make or break your opinion of a company. Its how they handle them that makes the difference. Jerry and his crew are awesome. The more technical the build, the better they like it.
Rating them as a raving fan and we will continue to go to them for all of our future computer needs.

"As I was about to shop the JNCS website, I saw this review page. If all companies were like JNCS, the world would be quite a place. Over seven years ago I purchased a custom-made desk top from JNCS. An upgrade to the Microsoft XP service pack blew out my RAID. Even though the warranty had expired, JNCS's technical department spent a day and half with me, over the phone, taking me step-by-step to restore my computer. They stayed patient and were never condescending. My friend was so impressed with them that he bought a laptop from them.

I am in the market for a laptop and the first people that I think of is JNCS.

"My laptop was overheating to the point where it would crash occasionally. J&N cleaned it out for me (fan oil, thermal paste, etc) and moved me to a solid state drive, which runs cooler.

Regarding J&N - responsive, friendly, knowledgeable. I've been there several times for small things. Once McAfee hosed my network access with an update. They figured that out for me. I work at home and they are and will be my go-to guys for laptop service and repair.

Regarding the SSD - wow. Just... wow. Lots of $$$, but it will be worth it. Who knew Outlook could be a "fast" program?

Regards.

"JNCS is a well-managed quality maker of custom computers. I recently had them make me a powerful computer to run complex architectural and graphics programs. When the computer arrived, it was DOA, due to the shipping company's obvious rough handling (UPS). The box had a crushed corner. So, JNCS said to send it back. I did. They decided to bill UPS for the rough handling and to build me a new machine from scratch, without me getting involved in the shipper's issues. They have just finished rebuilding my new super computer and are taking enhanced precautions (such as adding foam padding INSIDE the computer case this time) to deal with rough shipping companies. Good for me and for JNCS. A company that stands behind what they make, sell and ship.

UPDATE: 2 months later: the new computer from JNCS is working very well. It has a 7.6 to 7.9 rating out of 7.9 according to my onboard MS system evaluation software. That's an "A" back where I came from. I hooked up 2 monitors: a Dell 27" and 24" UltraSharp. Coupled with the JNCS super computer, I have an amazing system that is blazingly fast and sharp. State of the art. The top of the line Samsung SSD runs my software lickety-split and the dual 2TB HHDs RAID 1 backup everything every night at about 3AM automatically. I run my 100MB AutoCad files SIMULTANEOUSLY with large Revit projects and the JNCS computer never bats an eyelash. The 64GB of Ram was provided by JNCS at the lowest price in the Country, for certified, factory-installed memory. The 3GB k4000 Quadro nVidia graphics runs my big double monitors without a hitch. I have what amounts to a spilt 4470 x 1440 screen(s) area now. In layman's terms: that's about 46" wide x 13-1/4" tall viewing area. One of my favorite things is the nearly silent fans on the JNCS computer. I can't hardly tell it is on. The quality of my design studio is much enhanced by this improved level of quiet. There are what seems like an almost unlimited number of USB ports (2.0 and 3.0), so I don't have to use ugly USB port expansion adapters any more. JNCS told me, when I first called them, that they can deliver a "more robust" computer for less money, using standard components than anyone else, anywhere. They told the truth. JNCS delivers honest quality. The best bang for your computing buck. You won't be sorry. Nice people; quality components and systems. I have to watch every dollar these days. I feel good knowing that I saved a bundle and still got top quality with my JNCS computer system.

UPDATE: 8-9-2013
I had a Kingston RAM stick go bad. I was able to reach the JNCS technician that build my machine (Brandon) within seconds and he helped me diagnose the problem, and I am no technie. He immediately shipped me a replaced DIMM stick, and I received it several days later, no charge, as I am under warranty. THESE PEOPLE STAND BEHIND THEIR COMPUTERS. BUY AMERICAN. Buy JNCS: the best custom built power computers in the world. If I could replace the faulty part, you can. I never would have thought I could do this, but with JNCS behind you, you are not alone. I replaced the DIMM stick today and everything works fine.

"I've been dealing with Jerry and his staff since they were a small store in Fairport village and have enjoyed the experience. I've purchased motherboards, drives, cases, complete systems and accessories with never a problem. The tech staff is highly experienced and has always offered me the best cost effective solution possible. They continue to be my go-to PC guys."

"Being a embedded software consultant doing LINUX and Android development as well as FPGA design, I asked them to build me a monster build machine.
That they did. Linux kernel compiles went from 15 minutes to 2.5 minutes. It is quiet even with the three huge fans. You should see the of processor cooler! They even loaded Windows and tested it with a 2560x1600 monitor. Then put Ubuntu 12.1 as I requested. All this at a fair price.

"Quality parts, quality work, quality people. I ordered it, they built it, and when I received it I installed it without incident."

"Having purchased several high-end systems from JNCS in the past few years, the company’s strengths have become clear. Working directly with Jerry and his staff is always a pleasure and also highly educational.

Jerry’s relationship with Intel allows him to stay current with the latest cutting edge technologies and the customer can rest assured that every detail is addressed and nothing is left to chance.

The JNCS technical support staff is equally experienced, cordial, conscientious and fully equipped to address and resolve any technical issue that may arise.

Having said that, these machines are so well made and tested so thoroughly, that so far, my only contact with JNCS technical support has been to ask a few academic/technical questions.

Perhaps needless to say, I strongly recommend JNCS to anyone considering a high-end purchase in the future.

Sincerely,

Mark A.
Sr. Database Administrator
Strategy and Technology
QBE the Americas

modified review This review was modified by mja007 on January 18 2013 12:00:49 PM
modified review Rep reply posted Jan-18-2013

jkjacobsen, J and N Computer Services rep has responded

“Mark;

Thank you for posting your comments. We have enjoyed working with you over the years.

Here's to the eventual creation of quiet 40/core 80/thread workstation class computers!

J”

J and N Computer Services is a Merchant Member! Learn more

J and N Computer Services is a merchant member
J and N Computer Services participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,861 merchant members.