J-List Reviews - jlist.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

Rating 2.67/10 17 reviews

J-List is not a merchant member
J-List does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!

"I have bought T-shirts for my son at Christmas time and I was billed twice. They keep telling me it is a Paypal issue. Paypal is telling me to contact J-List. I am not getting anywhere with J-List. I will never buy again from this supplier. First time and last time regardless how nice or original the stuff is. Never had any issue before buying online or paying through paypal. I am not a happy camper, for sure! Update: J-List came through and refunded the overcharge. It was a headache but in the end, it got resolved. Thanks Nicholas Graham from J-List!"

modified review This review was modified by suethepooh on January 10 2014 08:54:15 PM

"I ordered a magazine subscription for Animedia Magazine on October 13th 2013 for $12 and I paid $16 extra for EMS Express Shipping (3-5 days). Total is $28. I get the confirmation email with my invoice details, etc. It's now November 7th and I don't have my magazine, tracking information, or any confirmation that it's been shipped or processed. I go on the website and check to see what's going on and there is absolutely NO information whatsoever about my order.

I've contacted J-List representatives by email (because there is no customer service number..) several (and I mean SEVERAL) times, but they keep telling me that my subscription starts in November. Uhh yeah okay.

So this guy named Nicholas emails me after I demand that my November issue of Animedia be shipped and that I be given tracking information (There is one in stock on the website..or so it says). He tells me that he can get me the October issue and I clearly told him that I wanted the November one. I'd be fine with the October issue, but now that it's November I want to keep up with the new anime. Anyways, he emails back and told me that my card was declined. Why was he trying to charge me? I already paid $28 on the 13th of October. Does this money just get wasted? Basically they wanted me to pay $28 for nothing, and then another $28 for the actual magazine to be shipped. My next billing cycle is November 13th and I will NOT be renewing my subscription if this is how they work (which seems that it is based on other customer reviews).

J-List "You've got an enemy in Japan" is more like it.

modified review This review was modified by jacobjapan on November 07 2013 09:05:17 PM

"The first couple of times they were good, but on the third order they are taking forever and this time I paid extra for faster shipping - I was promised it would only take 2 weeks, it's been 3 weeks since I paid and I finally got an email saying that my order has shipped. What happened? Did it really take 3 weeks just to confirm my payment? :("

modified review This review was modified by arty107 on September 08 2013 09:02:20 PM

"I know they've gotten a ton of bad ratings, but there was a PC game being offered by very few stores, so I took a chance on J-List. I did pay via PayPal so that I could use PayPal Buyer Protection if ripped off, but as I mostly expected, the order went as it should. Product received in less than a week, came with extra items I can only describe as hilarious and/or sad. Nonetheless, no problems."

noodle192000's Avatar
Dallas, TX

"I'm looking at some of the other reviews here and I guess I lucked out. I ordered a Studio Ghibli pocket diary calendar after the other retailer I usually buy them from didn't stock them this year, so it was a small item. It was shipped right away and got to me in a timely fashion. I used a trackable shipping method, which I have found is a must when dealing with a company from overseas. I also used PayPal. I liked how their prices were listed in US dollars, too. "

"If i could rate 0 stars I would. I have been waiting 7 weeks for my order. I finally e-mailed them and there response was my credit card was declined saying they sent me a CC refusal e-mail yet i've been checking my email and have never once gotten an e-mail about my order nor an e-mail about my card being refused? Although they still managed to charge me a $5 dollar cancellation fee? I had enough money to cover my order how can they refuse MY money and then take a $5 cancellation fee after refusing it? Don't trust J-List and make your orders somewhere else."

"J-List is painfully slow at processing orders and their customer service comes across as snarky and unhelpful. I ordered a video game that was listed as in-stock, and it took over two weeks to be shipped after my card was charged. That is absolutely unacceptable.

It's a shame, too. J-List stocks a lot of interesting stuff and does a wonderful job with the site's presentation, but it's obviously a disaster behind the scenes. Not recommended.

"I have ordered twice from J-list. On the first occasion, one item out of the shipment was missing and (without notifying me) replaced in the shipping box with a completely different (and enigmatic) food product. I never could figure out what the hell that thing was. What was especially bad was that I was not forewarned or simply notified then refunded for that one missing item. On the second occasion, five items were missing from the shipment. Adding to that, the missing items were no longer listed on their website. Even further, one food item received had expired before I had even placed the order, and J-list did not respond to my concerns regarding that. Great looking website. Abysmal customer service. EFFECTIVELY, THEY JUST DON'T CARE.

"I have been purchasing stuff online for years without much issues. I tried purchasing from them late last year and heres their reply, "We need to receive a scan of your credit and ID (both sides of each) in order to process your order. Please send a computer scan to this email address". a scan of both sides of my credit card and id sent via email? really?

At first i thought it was an error and asked them about it, they confirmed it and promised to "delete it once its verified". i refused and when i suggested for other forms of payment like paypal, they simply ignored all my emails. its been months since and i have yet to hear from them.

"This is an overall review.

I used to love jlist. I bought a lot of merchandise from them back in the day but recently they have gone down in service.

They list items as in-stock and then take weeks to ship them and most of the time when they do ship your order it is always short a few items and they don't give you the professional courtesy of informing you that certain items are unavailable for shipping BEFORE they ship.

One time I had to contact them about it and it still took a few days for them to get back to me with info on when the remaining items would be available. Keep in mind these items were listed as in stock. They said please allow several more days...well after about three weeks and not even one email from them explaining the delay I emailed and canceled that portion of the order.

Now my remaining credit is a small dollar amount but I've had nothing but problems trying to get a refund. Read the reviews online and take it seriously when people write that their customer service is atrocious. I don't know why I continue to do business with them except that they do have a good selection of items. However after being treated as if I was the one bothering them I have officially sworn off of jlist.com. A customer shouldn't have to harass a business to get even sub-par service. I would rather go to Japan Town in CA (where you can literally find everything jlist sells and more for cheaper prices) or the Japanese Market in NJ/NY.

I'm usually big on recommending sites but I want to expose them on their practice more than anything else. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with treating customers like the crap they scrape off the bottom of their feet just because they offer items that are hard to find for non-Japanese.

Seriously stay away from jlist, I don't know if this is how it's done in Japan but their extremely poor customer service ruins any positive experience or enjoyment you may get from the products. They really don't care about you once you've made your order. And you will have an incredibly difficult and seemingly impossible time getting in touch with them. They used to have a number listed but they removed that and put in a help center ticket system that either no one monitors or they just junk altogether. They also use an automated email so if you reply to an email they sent it comes back as undelivered, basically forcing you to use their inefficient ticket system.

If you order something that they physically have in stock then you'll have no problems with jlist.com and might even disagree with me on service but god help you if they don't have it stock in San Diego. (which they don't for most items) because then it is customer service hell for you.

People complain about outsourcing when it comes to getting customer service on items like laptops, desktops, or IT help but I would take all the Indian reps I've spoken to this year over jlist. They are THAT bad.

"BEWARE! Absolutely non-existent customer service.
Ordered and paid for DVD player 7/19/10. They charged my card immediately and site promised delivery with tracking from San Diego in 5 days. No tracking number provided, player has not arrived as of 8/3/10 and they ignore internet email inquiries. No phone number on site, but found it on line - only voice mail. Two separate calls over 48 hours also ignored.
RIP OFF.

"This company is absolutely terrible. I purchased software from them, and I had a question so I submitted a help ticket and an email. (they have no phone number). It has been a week since I placed this order, and I got the item, but it requires an activation code that they did not send me and will not let me recover through their system. I can not get help from them because they have no phone number and don't respond to my emails or tickets in their help system. Had to dispute charges with credit card company."

modified review This review was modified by czmk117 on April 19 2011 03:32:59 PM

"Good store. The prices are in US Dollars, therefore the prices won't change; yet some products seems to be overpriced. Shipping depends on location. Some products are shipped from their San Diego store while others are shipped from Japan. I would recommend J-List if you're buying magazines, books, or small products."

Rating 6/103/5

"I've used J-List once. The order was shipped after 3 days (too slow for me) and arrived within 2 weeks. Their products are nice and hard to find elsewhere, but customer service is slow. I had a problem with a nori punch I ordered from them. I wanted to ask the policy for returns and sent them a message. No replies, so I sent several messages and after 3 days I got my answer. I didn't have to return the item, but they sent me a brand new one as replacement. It is a trusted site, but customer service is very slow. "

Rating 6/103/5

"I ordered a few anime goods but they took so long to ship and forever to receive. They do have a wide range of goods that I am interested in but my last experience puts me off. "