Product & services pricing Rating 4.17/10 4.17/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.36/10 1.36/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.82/10 1.82/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.67/10 1.67/10

"For entertainment value alone, this is a MUST read! I predict JC Penny will be out of business by 2018.

We purchased a "Darvis Bonded Leather Reclining Club Chair" online that needed to be repaired shortly afterwards. Fine by us because as we did like the chair and it wasn't terribly expensive. As per JCP, we called to schedule a tech visit. They missed two same day appointments which meant an incredible amount of calls to everyone I could including HQ to get this taken care of! It also meant taking another day from work to reschedule. The chair was repaired and we are now happy. But wait, there's more!

JCP later emailed a request to write a review which I did. In addition to checking poor to average (including avg. for chair quality), the gist of the comment I made was this had been a bad experience and how I was completely dissatisfied with the poor service and the amount of time I had to take in order to get a NEW item repaired! I also mentioned the quality was worth no more than $300.00 (we paid a super special price of $237.00). The listed price is $825.00.

Ready for the punch line? JCP management which I assume is not akin to honest criticism of how they run their business (see news for the last 3 years), sends me an email today that says, "We're sorry, your review was not approved" and "Your opinion is very important to us and the JCPenney community. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on product. Unfortunately your review did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site."

Very important indeed.

modified review This review was modified by mlcopines on January 29 2015 12:27:16 PM

"Worse shopping experience of all time. I went in to jcp around 12 pm. I signed up for a credit card because of sephora and my love for makeup. I went in there several times to return a concealer. I got naked concealer the first time and lost my recipt . As soon as I walked in and asked If I could exchange it and she told me no. I know for a fact we can't return but can exchange the product especially in the original box and barely used. Anyway I let it go and continued to shop. After I purchased my items I was stopped by the loss provention who grabbed me and rudely asked me to go to the back to check my items . He found nothing and I went home. Wow jcp you're loss provention is thirsty .Worse experience ever ! Never again will I return to your low income store. It's better to have high theft store with high income the a low theft store that's about to shut down. think about that next time you think of saying someone stole especially because everyone knows sephora is why your still in buisness . He didn't even apologize."

modified review This review was modified by Reviewmandi on January 25 2015 08:36:50 AM

"I ordered two mattress sets from JCPenney's website. It took nearly 2 months, a half dozen phone calls, and hours of my time on the phone to receive my order. All this time and not once did the representatives offer to compensate me in any manner for their incompetence. I typically order thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of merchandise online each year. I have never had a more terrible experience than I did with JCPenney. My wife has my permission to kick me in the balls if I ever step foot near a JCPenney again. It boggles my mind that this company is still in business."

modified review This review was modified by Tal1000 on January 24 2015 08:26:10 AM

"I went to JcPenneys on January 1, 2015 and I was trying to buy some jeans and they did not have the correct size for me but thank god that her was there to have patients with me and go over the steps to order them online and he was very nice with my and caring!!"

modified review This review was modified by adames.julin on January 01 2015 06:20:05 PM

"I ordered a necklace from jcp.com before Christmas(Dec. 16) and I received the wrong one in the mail. When I called customer care about it(Dec. 23), they assured me they were sending the correct one out that day via Express delivery so I would have it by Christmas given I expressed how important it was to get it by then since it was a gift for someone else. Christmas Day (thursday) came and went and I never received a package therefore I didn't have a gift for someone special. The following Monday I called jcp.com customer care again to follow up and see if the package had been lost. They said they sent it out and UPS must have lost it. I asked for the tracking number and when I looked it up myself UPS showed that the label had been made but the package never made it to the truck. Besides the fact that they didn't send the it out at all, it was posted to be sent ground shipping only. That's not all though!!! I was already upset that customer care had lied to me and this gift was important to me, so I call back to tell them UPS had never received the package and it must be still there in the factory somewhere. The lady I spoke with said that she would have to contact the factory and asked me to hold, so I held.......for 30 minutes. She finally got back on the phone and stated that she spoke with the JCP factory and that they could not answer my question because they would be closed for the next week due to inventory. By then I was getting really upset....they lied and said they were sending the package via Express and I would have it by Christmas, they lied and said it had been sent when it was still at the factory.....and now they are closed so they can no longer help me until the next week!!! So I contact someone above customer care and explain the details...she does her research and realizes I was indeed right and the package had not been sent and they were closed for an entire week so they could do inventory. I had already paid for the necklace. The lady in management I spoke with on the phone called me back the next day and left a voicemail stating that their was nothing she could do but give me a refund if I didn't want the necklace anymore. I called back to ask for someone above her and she said the best she could do was give me a 20% discount on the item I purchased. During this entire time I spoke with several different people through customer care and not one of them seemed to know anything about customer care!!!! To me, this was a big mistake on their half and I know there was more they could have done to get the package to me ASAP, but they didn't seem to care either way. I still have not seen the package yet and they said it would be closer to the middle of January before it was sent out. They remembered to do the invoice and charge me for the necklace but forgot to send it!!??? "

modified review This review was modified by PoorCustomerService on December 31 2014 06:14:37 AM

"I was shopping for a comforter at JCP in Woodfield, but wanted to open the container for a better view. Clerk opened one, I helped her repack it and she said "I can't be opening all of them!" Really? Why was she there? I know why I won't be again!
Her name was Jaysillie or something similar.

modified review This review was modified by ywilliard on December 11 2014 05:15:23 PM

"Poor Communication Company policy:
During a store return, associate forgot to return my Driving License and I didn't realize this until I need it again in next 8 days. When I went back to Polaris Mall JCPenny store, lost and found employee told me that they kept it for few days and then they sherd it, As a Canadian citizen working in Columbus Ohio, I can not get my temporary DL next day. I wish store could have in their possession for longer or could have mailed it to my Canada address written on DL.
Hope JCP store management can come up with a better policy to help foreign customers.

"JCpenney store at International Mall, Miami, Florida customer service inside store has declined 150 %. The service is awful. I am pregnant and i was looking for curtains for my room, i spend 1 hour looking for someone in person to help me pick some curtains. The store was empty. The customer service on second floor had 3 sells assistants, 3 customers in line and 3 more with sells assistants and the waiting time to buy just one curtain was 30 minutes. I mean, there is no reason. I like Jcpenney but this was really a downfall for me."

modified review This review was modified by evetou03 on October 05 2014 08:04:35 PM

"Received the wrong item and yet JCP policy is that I have to pay for the return shipping? Crazy. No wonder that place is going under. They don't have many customers anymore and they just lost another one."

modified review This review was modified by cooperspooky on October 04 2014 09:46:31 AM

"I wish I had seen the reviews. I ordered a week ago for a trip I'm taking Oct. 11. The order has not departed their warehouse and they don't know when it will. I am praying I get my stuff before my trip but its not looking great after reading all the bad reviews :(. This is too bad because I love shopping there. If they screw this order I'm gone."

modified review This review was modified by YeseniaG on October 03 2014 03:42:21 PM

"Ordered some jeans from JCPenney.com. Website stated in stock and any order would in by 2:00 cst would ship in 3 days. I payed for 3 day shipping. Waited 6 days and contacted customer service. Item had not shipped and is "in process". Was told that their is a 4-7 day processing time before items ship. This was not stated on website or on receipt that I received after they charged my card right away. Cancelled order and have to wait 5 days to get card credited. Funny they can take the money right away and not provide any merchandise. I will never shop from JCP again. I used to get great service until they changed their business practices after new CEO. Too Late and goodbye!!!"

modified review This review was modified by barsco on September 18 2014 01:52:16 PM

"I ordered a 10k gold 2mm wedding band. A tungsten thick huge ring was delivered. I called the 1-800 number, and they said I can send it back and re-order the gold ring. That's it! I asked if I can take it in and return it. She said yes, so that's what I did. The lady at the counter tried to up sell me on a 4mm ring, and a warranty so I could get the size I needed (9.5). I told her I am not paying for anything else, and I just want my money back. I went through 3 different areas of service with jcpenney with this transaction, shipping, over the phone customer service, and in store customer service, and all 3 were TERRIBLE!"

JCPenney User

"for $9 shipping, my jeans were sent cheaply by UPS SurePost (usually slow) and packaged arrived just in plastic envelope, which I think kind of unsafe"

"Easy to order on line with a good price."

"We ordered custom shades and blinds on March 7. Our order came in 2 months later. It arrived with one curtain missing, and one shade was measured wrong. It is now June 17, and my husband has called three times since last Monday, but no one returned his call. We were told the job would be done last Thursday, but no call or appointment.
One more thing. We had treatments made for 9 windows, and only one installer showed up, telling us there was a scheduling error, and he was here all day. I will never do business with these people again. I would give them no stars, but I have to give them one.

modified review This review was modified by Leeny1221 on June 17 2014 11:06:27 AM

JCPenney is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

JCPenney is not a merchant member
JCPenney does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!