• Instrumentalley

Chance of future purchase: Rating 6.43/10 6.43/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.71/10 5.71/10
    Customer service: Rating 5.71/10 5.71/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

"I have the impression that this company takes orders then rings around to manufacturer's to see if they have any stock, if not they say the item is on Backorder. After a 7 week wait I started my quest to cancel my order and have my cash returned to my PayPal account. It wasn't easy.
I had to pester the life out of them with telephone calls, emails and 'chatline' conversations. The chatline conversation were all mysteriously cut short, none of my telephone calls were returned, one of my many emails was answered with a terse "It's been cancelled". I feel very fortunate to get my money back, but I had to work hard to achieve it.
The moral of the the story is find somewhere else to buy your instrument even if it means paying a little extra. Phone the seller to find out whether they actually have the instrument in stock by talking to a person, this is not possible with Instrument Alley.
To deal with Instrument Alley is being lead up a Blind Alley.

"I ordered a Blueridge BR-180A with basic setup & what a beauty! I received the guitar & case in just a few days & it was perfectly set up. Not only that, but a brand new tuner was included. The price, service & communication were all outstanding! I'll buy again soon! "

This review was modified by Mkh3536 on May 14 2015 07:19:56 AM

"No static shopping.. like most other online retailers. Got exactly what I paid for, fast shipping. Delivered conveniently on a weekend. Oh and did I mention it was cheaper than any other advertised price.. I'd gladly recommend them to friends and others. If I need anything else instrument related they definitely will be my first stop. "

This review was modified by Germskee on March 06 2015 09:50:58 PM

"So I ordered an autoharp, it came to me not working (new and not working). I asked for a refund, but it wasn't offered, I was offered a warranty replacement. I felt ripped off because his website clearly says that returns are allowed up to 45 days and I requested the refund. Due to the fact I could never reach him on the phone we apparently had a miscommunication. After we started the warranty replacement program, it turns out he can't get the original item I ordered. He requested that I change my original review and I have done so at his request. He felt that I misrepresented his side of the story."

This review was modified by samantha.sieverling on March 09 2015 05:42:23 PM

"I ordered some Grover tuning pegs. They were allegedly processed on 2/13/15, but after two weeks, I hadn't received them. Finally arrived 3/9/15. I contacted Ben about it after the initial delay. The initial response was slower than I would have liked, but he refunded me and did make a sincere effort to work it out."

This review was modified by woodygunns on March 09 2015 09:22:22 AM

"I placed an order for a guitar that was not yet in stock. The timeline did not end up working out for me and I had to cancel. It's my understanding that they are a small company and so do not have a giant inventory on hand. However, if you are willing to wait they have good prices on lots of harder to find instruments."

This review was modified by chessers on February 25 2015 11:14:35 AM

"Great communication, and best price online. Did a lot of searching, found they had the very unique Minarik guitar I was looking for. Their site was current, still had the beauty. Was told it may take a few days, as they were small, but within a couple of days, FedEx tracking and got the beauty today. Well protectively packed, even FedEx didn't drop kick it here, like they did another guitar I got earlier this year. Couldn't be more pleased. Great folks. Will keep their site in my view. Dale Leichsenring"

This review was modified by GibsonNut on February 19 2015 08:54:37 PM

"Great website and great prices. My order was processed as promised and arrived when promised. Good transaction."

"I looked everywhere both locally and online for an Octave Mandolin. I found the one I wanted at instrumentalley.com at about 1/2 the price anywhere else. Free shipping, and an additional $10 off. It arrived in perfect condition, three days after my order! The packaging was excellent -- easy to open the box and easy to slide out the packing and the instrument. It is wonderful. I wrote an email to them and Ben there, wrote me back a very courteous email. Thank you!"

This review was modified by MarianD on December 17 2014 10:43:25 PM

"Had a Problem with this order but the company decided to return my payment and did so very nicely. i will shop with them again."

This review was modified by Fitbb on December 17 2014 07:14:20 PM

"I've been taking bluegrass banjo lessons for about a year on Skype and decided to upgrade. When I asked my instructor for recommendations, he suggested that I might think about getting a Gold Star. I found Instrumentalley when I looked for banjos on line, and their prices for Gold Stars looked good. I asked my instructor about the models & he said the price of one of them (which I ended up getting) gave me a lot of value for the money. I ordered it & it arrived in perfect condition in a beautiful case. I couldn't be happier & would recommend Instrumentalley to anyone."

This review was modified by rfolger on November 29 2014 02:26:09 PM

"I called Instrmentalley about this parlour Blueridge BR 371 and, being a fingerstyle player, I asked them to take measurements from the E to E strings at both the neck and at the sound hole for me. Kind of an odd request but Ben did it without hesitation. (Most shops seem a little irritated by this request.)

I bought guitar from them because of their helpful attitude, willingness to put a certain string on for me and they had the best price on the internet.

The guitar arrived when they said it would and it was absolutely perfect. Best sounding and looking acoustic guitar I've ever owned. (And I've owned a few!) Flawlessly setup.

That's it for me. No need to purchase another acoustic guitar. Ever. That's the one.

Thanks Ben.

This review was modified by bschelew on November 24 2014 02:37:08 PM

"As I went searching for the perfect gift for my ukulele-playing spouse, I happened upon InstrumentAlley.com and their Gold Tone Banjoleles. Wow - what a gorgeous instrument and I knew it was the perfect gift. It has not disappointed the gift recipient. She cannot stop playing it! It came packaged beautifully, promptly and in excellent condition. And it sounds fantastic. I will definitely purchase from InstrumentAlley.com again."

"I had been looking for a guitar for my Husband for a while online, and someone told me about instrument alley, so I gave them a look, and WOW they had great prices, great customer service, and the exact guitar he wanted at the absolute lowest price and free shipping, so if you want the best this is the best place to go in my opinion hope you try them the next time you need an instrument or accessory for the one you have thanks and happy shopping"

"Hopefully this review will help you decide whether or not you want to do business with Instrument Alley. I want to share the facts (not simply emotions) and let you decide on the rating.

TWO FACTS:
1. Everything I ordered (the banjo, mandolin, capo, strings, etc...) I received.
2. It took a total of 31 days. Please read my story...

I placed an order for 8 items on July 15 and made payment thru Paypal that same evening. The morning of July 16 I received email confirmation that my order was being processed. I left a voice mail with a question that day but didn't hear back. On July 18 I read the website directions and emailed specific instructions about the stringing of the mandolin but did not receive a reply. I heard nothing until July 23 (8 days later) when I received an email that my order was being shipped. It arrived on July 29 via FedEx.

Everything I ordered was in the box and was well packed. They had following my instructions from the July 18 email. For $15 each, I paid to have Instrument Alley inspect, string and tune the banjo and mandolin prior to shipping. The Recording King banjo was very impressive and sounded wonderful. I began to play the Kentucky mandolin and discovered a faulty fretwire, so I wrote a rather direct email including pictures to help@Instrumentalley.com on the evening of July 29.

On Wednesday afternoon, July 30, I received this reply, "I’ll be in touch regarding replacement. This instrument was set up and inspected before it shipped so this is very odd."

On Monday, Aug 4 (6 days later), I received this, "A return label was sent to you for the KM-380. Please let me know if you have any questions about the return." I received the label via email and printed it, then packed the mandolin in the original box and shipped it. There was no charge to me.

On Tuesday, Aug 12 (8 days later), I received an email that a mandolin was being shipped back from Saga Musical Instruments in San Francisco. The package arrived on Friday Aug 15 with a letter enclosed that said they repaired my mandolin.

The mandolin strings were in place but the bridge was NOT installed (remember I paid $15 for the set up). After a quick search on YouTube, I was able to place the bridge and tune the mandolin myself.

BOTTOM LINE: If you're a patient person, this scenario probably won't be a big deal. If you tend to be nervous (like me), perhaps spending a little extra money at your local music store will save you your peace of mind. Hope this helps!

UPDATE AS OF 8/26/14 - The salesman at Instrument Alley reached out to me today by email. As a customer that helps greatly. A 3-out-of-5 rating means I was neither satisfied nor dissatisfied. One thing I failed to do was reach out to the salesman FIRST before writing my review. Perhaps this changes things for you the reader, so it's worth sharing.

This review was modified by mhh1249 on August 26 2014 04:45:25 PM

Share Instrumentalley.com's store rating

Instrumentalley.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Instrumentalley.com is not a merchant member
Instrumentalley.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!