Stores > Home Depot

Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.94/10 1.94/10

2016-07-11

Floor instillation incompetence

"I bought pergo xp to be installed in a mother in law appartment over my garage. Home Depot did all measurements and all the estimates. I paid in full months before the install. When they came out to do it the installers were unable to even start the project for several issues the Home Depot estimators and sales people never mentioned. They gave me incorrect information contradicted by the pergo manufacturers as excuses. I agreed to sign waivers agreeing to the install even under the conditions. The sales person was unwilling to work with me. Not really a surprise when they are paid in full. They caused me lost revenue on my rental due to their incompetence. I will not be working with them again."

This review was modified by Mete on July 11 2016 11:38:07 AM

2016-07-09

Worst Experience Ever

"I purchased $650 in unmixed paint for a project. I've been planning this for a while. Unfortunately, I got the wrong type. No biggie right? It wasn't mixed with color, so I can just return it and get the right paint (or so I thought).

I go to the returns desk, give them my receipt, but tell them I want store credit so I can purchase the right paint immediately. It takes about 3-5 days for the credit to go back on my card, and I had tomorrow to do the job. (I usually work on weekends, and it's nearly impossible for me to make time to do this.)

Unfortunately, I seem to have bothered Hal Wilkins, the assistant manager, who had to interrupt whatever he was doing to talk to a customer (so sorry buddy). Hal Wilkins told me "We can't issue store credit over $500". Ok, policy is policy; I understand. Just so I can get a workaround here, I said "Well, can I return less than $500 worth, get the store credit on that, and refund the rest on the card?" His answer: "No", and he just walked away.

First off, Hal Wilkins seemed irritated that he had to deal with something. He was intently looking at the screen next to him a few feet away, and after brushing me off, went back to looking at the screen again, with me just left hanging a few feet away.

I explained the situation: I don't have enough credit to buy this stuff again, and can't delay my project because I have VERY limited time allocated for this stuff. The level of nonchalant dismissal by Hal Wilkins is indescribable.

Now, because I'm on a very tight budget renovating the whole house, I didn't have an extra $650. Now my project is delayed indefinitely; for months at least.

So, Home Depot policy is that they will issue you store credit. When I asked him to do so on less than $500 worth, he outright refused. There is no question that I purchased the paint this morning (I have the receipt and my card with me), so it's not like I stole it. He had no reason whatsoever to refuse the return for store credit. None. In fact, it's in violation of their policies not to.

In short, the assistant manager, Hal Wilkins, refused to provide me store credit in violation of their own policies, costing me several weeks (at least) of delay of my project. I want to stress, again, that this is in violation of their own policy.

My wife and I have spent in excess of $50,000 at this store alone to renovate my house, including flooring, some appliances, the entire reworking of all landscaping, all new power equipment, tools, and all new doors and hardware.

I still have to do painting inside and out, new baseboard, new lighting, a new garage door, a new fireplace, and new flooring for the remaining parts of my house. Hal Wilkins cost this store my next 50 grand in spending.

This is my last time buying anything over $10 from this garbage store. Thankfully, there's a Lowes a mile away, and I'm happy to take my business there.

2016-07-05

Ordered product online recd incorrect item return not accepted

"I ordered several boxes of identical wall tiles online from HD and one of the boxes shipped was a different color. However I did not immediately open each box as I ordered the tiles about 35 days prior to our installation period. I contacted HD to attempt to return the incorrect product and was informed that the return period for special orders was 30 days and no return was allowed. Thus I have paid for a error made by HD. Avoid HD if you can. Menard's and Lowe's are much better from a customer service standpoint. They also ship the correct products!"

This review was modified by Honestabe1809 on July 05 2016 09:21:10 AM

2016-06-30

One Hand Does Not Know What The Other Is Doing

"June 8th - ordered my dishwasher over the phone. Did not get a confirmation email
June 9th - had to reorder as original order did not go through. Asked to have old dishwasher disconnected and hauled away. Had $25 charge for this on my invoice. Received confirmation email and I asked to speak to contractors who are to deliver and install. Was told to physically go to nearest HD Went to Burnaby HD. Spoke to Jacqueline. Was told that they could not arrange installation/delivery as I had not ordered it through their store. She told me the haul away charge incorrect. That it was $35 and I had to disconnect myself. Took 2 people to correct this mistake.
June 10th - Donald from HD Appliances called. Did not seem to know I had already ordered the dishwasher. Gave him my order number. When he contacted installers they had the wrong date for installation. Corrected this.
I had no idea when I contacted HD for this dishwasher that I needed to be my own general contractor. They do not easily arrange for the delivery and installation. I will never use this company again. Luckily I have other options in a large city.

This review was modified by ArleneJ44 on June 30 2016 10:52:04 AM

2016-05-18

Home Depot unethical practices to scam elderly

"Home Depot contract services is set up to deceive the naive and rip off the elderly. They will not offer you a competitive quote outlining materials, labor, and any extra's but instead just put in some 'fixed based cost' that they can't breakdown.

Had Home Depot quote the replacement of 22 windows. Basic window costs ~$600.00. Installed Home Depot wanted $2100/window. Research from other contractors puts installation at $400 - $500/window. So where is the extra $1000/window going? It goes into a lifetime warranty fee they will not disclose as a warranty fee. The intent here is to scam the elderly and the naive into paying for a warranty they do not need or want. Home Depot corporate office calls this ethical; I call it deceptive and intent on taking advantage of a certain class of people.

2016-05-18

BUYER BEWARE!!! COMPLETE INCOMPETENTS! DO NOT PURCHASE A PRIVACY FENCE HERE.

"Home Depot contracts with United Home Services for fencing installs. It has been one year since my install. I have no cement in my post holes. I have been jerked around and lied to. Today was the day that they were going to make it right by removing the entire fence and reinstalling a new one. (with cement) Didn't happen...they waited until today the secure a permit/inspection. Doesn't work that way & they should know that from the first go round. Needless to say, no fix for this "f'd" up mess of a fence I now have. Guess we will go to court next."

This review was modified by kfoloughlin on May 18 2016 11:36:35 AM

2016-05-03

simpsonville SC store horrible!!!

"had two managers Gerald and Jody be extremely rude to me after having to call customer service twice while still in store! My friend and i spoke with another manager earlier about price matching. After my friend got her price matches, i am told no they wont do it. I was also told they didnt care who i called. After calling CS the first time and having corporate tell Gerald to do it, he still refused! Had to call back and after an hour and half waiting i finally got what was promised and that was it!! Very poor customer service and very poor managers"

This review was modified by maddenmac on May 03 2016 05:23:35 AM

2016-03-27

Company of incompetence

"Here is the last conversation from Home Depot to me :
Dear MARK BROOKS,
To receive the warranty information for the A/C window unit purchased in-store, Please contact the Shallotte Store at (910) 755-5444. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause Mark. I hope this information is helpful. Have a great day.

If you have questions, please contact our Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 from 6 AM to 2 AM ET daily and refer to the case number above.
Thank you for being a Home Depot customer.
Sincerely,
homedepot.com Online Customer Support

Here is the letter I replied back to of a string of approx. 6 conversations by email : Sorry but this is WORTHLESS. I have been to the store ( Shallotte N.C. ) that they said I had to go to and look this up which is by the way 204 miles from my house and they said when I got there they could not find it. How can you not find it by , name ,address , credit card or phone number. The store gave me a phone number to call and after calling and sitting on hold for what seemed like a short life time they told me to go to the store ( Shallotte N.C. ) and they could locate the info I needed there. WHAT. I have gotten nothing but the run around and fed B.S. ( Need I explain B.S. ??? ). I am convinced that I should take my business to Lowe's and yes I know I am just a grain of sand in the beach of life to a large company like Home Depot that I have Loved for so many years , but I will go to Lowe's to buy another air conditioner and maybe if I lose my receipt they will have competent employee's that will be able to find my information unlike the incompetent employee's of Home depot that I have talked to in person , on the phone and by email. How can a company of this size not have one person in the avenues I have tried not be able to help me in the slightest. My stress level is at the max allowed till meds are needed. Please let everyone involved know " Thanks for not being able to help me ". Maybe Home Depot can schedule some training on How to Help the Customer that helps pay their salary. Mark Brooks , Clover S.C. 980-722-0747

2016-02-29

Smoker Delivery, The Home Depot, Brinkman #577, 999 North Loop West, 77008

" On Sunday, Feb.21,2016 i bought a Rivergrille smoker and also paid for delivery service that i had set up for Wednesday Feb. 24,2016 at around 4 pm. These smokers are built in store already by a contractor / third party so they say.

On Wednesday, 2-24-2016 the smoker was not delivered and no phone calls were made to me explaining why. At 8:30pm i tried calling and all i got were recordings. I got tired after 20 minutes of listening to there message that someone would be with me shortly.

On Thursday, 2-25-2016 while i was at work, i called Home Depot to find out why my smoker was not delivered. I called at 9 am (on my break) and was on hold for 12 minutes when a customer service woman answered the phone. I told her i was calling to find out why my smoker had not been delivered on Wednesday as i paid for this. She never took my name but placed me on hold. I now had to go back to work and i hung up. This was at 9:26am At 11am i got a voice message from Home Depot telling me that they forgot to put the smoker on the truck for delivery and that it will be delivered today between 1pm and 4pm. At 1pm i got a phone call from Home Depot and they said the girl put the smoker on the wrong truck and it won't be delivered until Friday afternoon between 1 and 4pm.

Friday 2-26-2016 The smoker made it at 1:15pm. I could not leave work the wife met the driver at the house. The driver pointed out that there is a nut missing on the wheel and it will fall off if not careful.
I got home at 3:30pm and looked at the smoker. There was a nut missing off the wheel and yes, the wheel fell off !! There was also bolts & nuts missing on the shelves and on the wood rack. Every bolt & nut was loose. They were not tightened to start with.

Saturday 2-27-2016 I go to Home Depot and want to talk to a manger. The manager for that area was not working so they got me the Supervisor of that area. I explained the situation and told him if he had metric bolts i can assemble the smoker. I also asked for a refund of delivery expense or at least a discount. He acted like he never heard that and took off to get the bolts i needed. He gave me the bolts and did not charge me. I ask for a return of delivery fee and he ignored me and walked off. Not once did anybody say i am sorry for that or we will make it good. I am pissed because they acted like it was normal for that to happen. I spent over $700.00 and get crap for it.

This review was modified by Tlntx on February 29 2016 03:40:52 PM

2016-02-29

Poor business practice for such a large company/poor customer service !!!!

"I purchased a pair of Fiskar garden sheers from the Home Depot in Port Charlotte Florida a few months ago. After using them for the first time, the return spring had broke, I thought no big deal I'll return them to Home Depot and exchange them. That's when the problems started !!! They did not have the pair I purchased in stock, so I brought the next closest pair they had up to the return desk, the associate there said she should be able to zero out the item and make the exchange, she then said I better ask the garden manager. After about 10 minutes the manager comes up while on his phone, after another 5 minutes looks at them, answer's another call on his phone finishes his call then say's "no, they're not the same can't return them, then say's go ask the manager at the commercial desk" she takes about 10 seconds, barely look's at them and say's "no, he will have to ship them back to Fiskar for a replacement pair" I offered to pay the difference in the price, and that was still not acceptable. They said there is an 800 # on the back of the package, call them and send them back. So not to make a scene, because of a $20.00 item I said okay. I called and was told yes ship them back and we'll replace them, well the shipping and return costs were going to be about $23.00 more than what the sheers cost, I emailed Home Depot and told them the issue, and they pretty much blew it off and said they documented the instance and sent it off to the store manager and district manager for review, well guess what, no response... Not that thought I would get one, after all it's only a $20.00 item. Now imagine if you bought a $200.00 or $800.00 item and had an issue, chances are, you're going to get the same treatment. It may sound petty about all of this, but the issue here is, it doesn't matter if Home Depot takes care of their customers or not, they are so big and have so many stores it doesn't matter if you're happy or not, pretty much screw you, so be VERY CAREFULL buying anything at HOME DEPOT because if you have a problem, you're pretty much on your own, if they won't help out with a small item, good luck getting help on a large one.
By the way, I took those same sheer's to Lowe's and told them I didn't purchase them there and if there was a way I could exchange them, since they have lifetime warranty and guess what, they exchanged them for a better pair at no additional cost !!!!! Now that's customer service, they have earned my business for life, Home Depot can put their store's where the sun doesn't shine, I have told everyone I know about this problem and will never step foot in another Home Depot store and urge all of you and my family and friends to do the same, it's pretty bad when a large corporation like Home Depot is so very petty when it comes to making a purchase problem right for their customers !!!

This review was modified by mikej1261 on February 29 2016 12:11:26 PM

2016-02-10

theman

"bought a 20 inch bluemax chainsaw but it wouldnt start so i returned it ."

2016-02-05

3 orders, 3 problems, 0 help from Home Depot

"If I could give 0 stars, I would. We are in the process of renovating our home and have used Home Depot on 3 separate occasions to either order parts (shelving/closet systems) as well as carpeting and installation. We had issues with every experience. Either parts were missing, or parts were already damaged when receiving items. The last straw was when we got our carpet installed. First, they came in with the WRONG carpet and had to come back... Even though the mistake was THEIRS, they still had to go through the installation schedule as if we ordered new carpet - rescheduling the installation was ridiculous in itself as we constantly had to follow up and ask for an update which wasn't always provided. Second, the sales person was nice, but failed to mention the additional charge for installation - they told us the TOTAL price was a certain amount - we signed the receipt with that amount, however, when providing us the 'full' paperwork packet (which we never signed), Page 9 of 10, includeded the additional charge for installation which everyone failed to mention to us. On top of that, this specific page required us to sign, however, this page was never presented to us, nor did we sign this page. We get a call weeks later asking us to pay for the $500 installation charge. To them, it didn't matter that we never saw this, nor did it matter that our signature was not included.

When complaining to their corporate office, we were just told that they would inform management about this issue but could not help us in anyway. Even after we told them we had a lot more work to do with our home and planned on spending a lot more money at Home Depot only if they would rectify this issue. They did NOT care. Hello Lowe's, we're going to spend all our money on you moving forward. Good Bye Home Depot, I hope your bad services continues to diminish your business.

This review was modified by LisaYu on February 05 2016 12:28:12 PM

2016-02-01

AVOID ALL SPECIAL ORDERS

"AVOID ALL SPECIAL ORDERS. Ordered a $4,000 custom front door and had multiple factory and mishandled ordering (HD order entry) issues. Had to pay installer to come back and spend 6 man hours doing repairs to get it fixed but cosmetic issues remain. Vendor gave very small refund that barely covered the additional labor but certainly didn't cover cosmetic issues remaining or many hours of time. HD did nothing at all. Their comical policy is that a door order is considered complete when the local delivery guy drops off. Never mind that many issues can't be detected until the crating comes off and the door is actually installed. I'd like to see a delivery guy wait for 3-5 hours for that all to occur before a customer deems it acceptable. I will take my business to Lowes and never purchase anything large from HD again (or small if I can help it). They hide behind ridiculous corporate policies and leave the customers holding the bag."

2016-01-28

They never delivered

"I was supposed to receive the product in 6-10 days. Three weeks later, I haven't even been billed yet, I called customer service. A very pleasant lady took my information and tried calling the vendor and got no answer, she promised to e-mail them and have them contact me. Two more weeks I waited and still no word from the vendor or Home Depot, I then called and cancelled my order. If you are going to do business on-line, you need to do a better job managing it. "

2016-01-18

Pushy contractors

"Beware of contractors from HD. They will cajole you into signing a contract, then charge penalties if you can't do the project. Apparently there is no such thing as a free estimate from HD."

This review was modified by jibaro on January 18 2016 11:34:19 AM

Share Home Depot's store rating

Home Depot is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Home Depot is not a merchant member
Home Depot does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!