Stores > Home Depot

Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.59/10 1.59/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.77/10 0.77/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1/10 1/10

Home Depot & Fraudulent Advertising

"We ordered carpet from Home Depot, and told the sales associate that we had a cardboard type flooring on top of the wood floor, the associate said it was ok because their latest promotion includes free "floor tear-out".

We took a credit card out to purchase the service and carpet, and we had a quoter come to our house, where we explained to him that the top level stuff had to come off because it was old and deteriorating.

Now the install guys come and say they don't do flooring, and they only pull up carpet, which isn't mentioned in the sales flyer given to me, and it wasn't mentioned by the two store associates (one who came out to our house to do measurements).

It is fraudulent they can put whatever they want on flyers and quoting sheets and not have to comply with their own promotions, which specifically says "floor-tearout", what would you think?

And this flooring was supposed to be installed within their guaranteed 72 hour time frame, which won't happen now also.

Worst company to do business with, the managers couldn't give a rats ****, so I filed a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's Office.

This review was modified by JustinAB on October 20 2016 09:36:19 AM

Product shown as in stock, order canceled 10 hours later

"Product shown as in stock, order canceled 10 hours later stating item was not in stock, no willingness to replace item (although still available online for free shipping) or offer any discount. "

Don't buy appliances at Home Depot, you'll regret it!

"I had a bad experience replacing my appliances at Home Depot in Seattle, WA. Their delivery and installation is done by the worst companies and rude installers. After two attempts of having my appliances attempted to be installed at my house, I ended up canceling the order. The installers always presented all the reasons why the appliances couldn't be installed, and that I had to make all sort of adjustments to my kitchen if I wanted to consider getting appliances. This was done in a very authoritative manner, with bad manners and with no solutions from the installers. I felt I was asking them for a big favor as opposed to have them service my big ticket item. My house is a newer house (10 years), and with no problems whatsoever when I discussed with the Home Depot appliance team. Trying to talk to the management team at the store was useless, as they mentioned their appliances are installed by a third party and they couldn't do anything about it."

This review was modified by felixny on October 12 2016 07:56:06 PM

Never buy anything from Home Depot

"As the title says, never bought thing from Home Depot(Gerard Store, Ontario to be specific) if you don't wanna deal with the huge hassle afterwards, inexperienced deliverers and unprofessional customer services. Below is the whole story.
I bought a dryer and washer at Gerrard Home Depot on Sep.6th, 2016. Because of work I can only have my appliances delivered on a Saturday, so I selected the first available spot, which is almost three weeks after, on Sep.24th. The sales guy told me it will arrive that day any time before night. I asked him if it's possible to give me a smaller time range, in the afternoon specifically, because my condo has pretty strict rules on the use of moving elevator. He gave me a straight NO, and he wouldn't even mark a note on my order for me. Later I found out I could specify the delivery window by calling their project support team provided it's a reasonable reason, so this guy probably just wanted to save himself some hassle.
After three weeks doing laundry at a local laundromat it's finally Sep.24th. I cleared all my schedule and waited at home. Tic tac, no one called me, not even a voicemail. I called them the next Monday when they told me "oh yea we tried to reach you but you weren't home but anyways the new delivery is scheduled on Thursday Sep.29th." I WAS AT HOME THE WHOLE TIME. I didn't want to argue with them because they could always blame it on the circuit/reception. (I later confirmed with the security guard downstairs, no one came.)
I didn't want to wait for another couple weeks for a Saturday so I asked my manager if I could move my lunch time to whenever these guys deliver my stuff, I will just run back(I live blocks away).
And here we are on Sep.29th, I got a call from them at 1pm and I thought this headache is finally over. I was wrong. Two delivery guys came with my dryer and washer, but they told me they didn't have the stacking kit. I purchased the kit together with my dryer and washer and the salesperson told me it will come together. "They must forgot to give that to us." Said the delivery guy. So here they are with the dryer and washer but they couldn't install it for me because they didn't have the stacking kit. So they dumped them on my living room and left.
At this point I am angry, this is the most irresponsible and unprofessional delivery service I have ever had. I called them again and guess what, the stacking kit was inside the box with the dryer but they didn't know. She gave me another number to call because apparently this is out of her hand. I lost counts of how many calls I have to make at this point, but I made this call and this customer representative told me she will send out an "email" because no rush, this is just another upset customer she got and who cares about them. She wouldn't even get me to talk to the manager.
Now I am waiting for her to call back, God knows how long this email will take.
I am speechless. This is the first time I ever bought appliances from Home Depot but it was my fault, I trusted in them, should have gone to somewhere else. I am not telling a story, this happened in real life. If you don't want to go through what I have gone through, when you see a Home Depot and decided to stop by and check out something, keep driving, you will be better off anywhere else.

Home Depot is the place to shop with delivery to your door!

"Over the years I have ordered everything from bidets, and building supplies, to closet storage and have never been disappointed. They consistently deliver a quality product and stand behind their products and purchases. They offer free delivery with a low minimum purchase price. Who can beat not having to haul stuff from the store or have to rent a truck to get it home? "

Horrible customer service for on-line orders!

"Use caution ordering from Home Depot. I recently took advantage of a "deal" and ordered some filters for my air conditioner. I placed the order on July 21. My credit card was not charged until July 31 so I called to find out what was going on. I was told that I could expect to receive my order between August 9 and August 11! I would have never ordered from them had I known this is their order processing procedures. I expressed my dissatisfaction during my phone call and was basically told that is just the way it is. I won't be buying from Home Depot online ever again and it will greatly affect my in-store purchase decisions."

Floor instillation incompetence

"I bought pergo xp to be installed in a mother in law appartment over my garage. Home Depot did all measurements and all the estimates. I paid in full months before the install. When they came out to do it the installers were unable to even start the project for several issues the Home Depot estimators and sales people never mentioned. They gave me incorrect information contradicted by the pergo manufacturers as excuses. I agreed to sign waivers agreeing to the install even under the conditions. The sales person was unwilling to work with me. Not really a surprise when they are paid in full. They caused me lost revenue on my rental due to their incompetence. I will not be working with them again."

This review was modified by Mete on July 11 2016 11:38:07 AM

Worst Experience Ever

"I purchased $650 in unmixed paint for a project. I've been planning this for a while. Unfortunately, I got the wrong type. No biggie right? It wasn't mixed with color, so I can just return it and get the right paint (or so I thought).

I go to the returns desk, give them my receipt, but tell them I want store credit so I can purchase the right paint immediately. It takes about 3-5 days for the credit to go back on my card, and I had tomorrow to do the job. (I usually work on weekends, and it's nearly impossible for me to make time to do this.)

Unfortunately, I seem to have bothered Hal Wilkins, the assistant manager, who had to interrupt whatever he was doing to talk to a customer (so sorry buddy). Hal Wilkins told me "We can't issue store credit over $500". Ok, policy is policy; I understand. Just so I can get a workaround here, I said "Well, can I return less than $500 worth, get the store credit on that, and refund the rest on the card?" His answer: "No", and he just walked away.

First off, Hal Wilkins seemed irritated that he had to deal with something. He was intently looking at the screen next to him a few feet away, and after brushing me off, went back to looking at the screen again, with me just left hanging a few feet away.

I explained the situation: I don't have enough credit to buy this stuff again, and can't delay my project because I have VERY limited time allocated for this stuff. The level of nonchalant dismissal by Hal Wilkins is indescribable.

Now, because I'm on a very tight budget renovating the whole house, I didn't have an extra $650. Now my project is delayed indefinitely; for months at least.

So, Home Depot policy is that they will issue you store credit. When I asked him to do so on less than $500 worth, he outright refused. There is no question that I purchased the paint this morning (I have the receipt and my card with me), so it's not like I stole it. He had no reason whatsoever to refuse the return for store credit. None. In fact, it's in violation of their policies not to.

In short, the assistant manager, Hal Wilkins, refused to provide me store credit in violation of their own policies, costing me several weeks (at least) of delay of my project. I want to stress, again, that this is in violation of their own policy.

My wife and I have spent in excess of $50,000 at this store alone to renovate my house, including flooring, some appliances, the entire reworking of all landscaping, all new power equipment, tools, and all new doors and hardware.

I still have to do painting inside and out, new baseboard, new lighting, a new garage door, a new fireplace, and new flooring for the remaining parts of my house. Hal Wilkins cost this store my next 50 grand in spending.

This is my last time buying anything over $10 from this garbage store. Thankfully, there's a Lowes a mile away, and I'm happy to take my business there.

Ordered product online recd incorrect item return not accepted

"I ordered several boxes of identical wall tiles online from HD and one of the boxes shipped was a different color. However I did not immediately open each box as I ordered the tiles about 35 days prior to our installation period. I contacted HD to attempt to return the incorrect product and was informed that the return period for special orders was 30 days and no return was allowed. Thus I have paid for a error made by HD. Avoid HD if you can. Menard's and Lowe's are much better from a customer service standpoint. They also ship the correct products!"

This review was modified by Honestabe1809 on July 05 2016 09:21:10 AM

One Hand Does Not Know What The Other Is Doing

"June 8th - ordered my dishwasher over the phone. Did not get a confirmation email
June 9th - had to reorder as original order did not go through. Asked to have old dishwasher disconnected and hauled away. Had $25 charge for this on my invoice. Received confirmation email and I asked to speak to contractors who are to deliver and install. Was told to physically go to nearest HD Went to Burnaby HD. Spoke to Jacqueline. Was told that they could not arrange installation/delivery as I had not ordered it through their store. She told me the haul away charge incorrect. That it was $35 and I had to disconnect myself. Took 2 people to correct this mistake.
June 10th - Donald from HD Appliances called. Did not seem to know I had already ordered the dishwasher. Gave him my order number. When he contacted installers they had the wrong date for installation. Corrected this.
I had no idea when I contacted HD for this dishwasher that I needed to be my own general contractor. They do not easily arrange for the delivery and installation. I will never use this company again. Luckily I have other options in a large city.

This review was modified by ArleneJ44 on June 30 2016 10:52:04 AM

Home Depot unethical practices to scam elderly

"Home Depot contract services is set up to deceive the naive and rip off the elderly. They will not offer you a competitive quote outlining materials, labor, and any extra's but instead just put in some 'fixed based cost' that they can't breakdown.

Had Home Depot quote the replacement of 22 windows. Basic window costs ~$600.00. Installed Home Depot wanted $2100/window. Research from other contractors puts installation at $400 - $500/window. So where is the extra $1000/window going? It goes into a lifetime warranty fee they will not disclose as a warranty fee. The intent here is to scam the elderly and the naive into paying for a warranty they do not need or want. Home Depot corporate office calls this ethical; I call it deceptive and intent on taking advantage of a certain class of people.

"Home Depot contracts with United Home Services for fencing installs. It has been one year since my install. I have no cement in my post holes. I have been jerked around and lied to. Today was the day that they were going to make it right by removing the entire fence and reinstalling a new one. (with cement) Didn't happen...they waited until today the secure a permit/inspection. Doesn't work that way & they should know that from the first go round. Needless to say, no fix for this "f'd" up mess of a fence I now have. Guess we will go to court next."

This review was modified by kfoloughlin on May 18 2016 11:36:35 AM

simpsonville SC store horrible!!!

"had two managers Gerald and Jody be extremely rude to me after having to call customer service twice while still in store! My friend and i spoke with another manager earlier about price matching. After my friend got her price matches, i am told no they wont do it. I was also told they didnt care who i called. After calling CS the first time and having corporate tell Gerald to do it, he still refused! Had to call back and after an hour and half waiting i finally got what was promised and that was it!! Very poor customer service and very poor managers"

This review was modified by maddenmac on May 03 2016 05:23:35 AM

Company of incompetence

"Here is the last conversation from Home Depot to me :
To receive the warranty information for the A/C window unit purchased in-store, Please contact the Shallotte Store at (910) 755-5444. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause Mark. I hope this information is helpful. Have a great day.

If you have questions, please contact our Online Customer Support at 1-800-430-3376 from 6 AM to 2 AM ET daily and refer to the case number above.
Thank you for being a Home Depot customer.
homedepot.com Online Customer Support

Here is the letter I replied back to of a string of approx. 6 conversations by email : Sorry but this is WORTHLESS. I have been to the store ( Shallotte N.C. ) that they said I had to go to and look this up which is by the way 204 miles from my house and they said when I got there they could not find it. How can you not find it by , name ,address , credit card or phone number. The store gave me a phone number to call and after calling and sitting on hold for what seemed like a short life time they told me to go to the store ( Shallotte N.C. ) and they could locate the info I needed there. WHAT. I have gotten nothing but the run around and fed B.S. ( Need I explain B.S. ??? ). I am convinced that I should take my business to Lowe's and yes I know I am just a grain of sand in the beach of life to a large company like Home Depot that I have Loved for so many years , but I will go to Lowe's to buy another air conditioner and maybe if I lose my receipt they will have competent employee's that will be able to find my information unlike the incompetent employee's of Home depot that I have talked to in person , on the phone and by email. How can a company of this size not have one person in the avenues I have tried not be able to help me in the slightest. My stress level is at the max allowed till meds are needed. Please let everyone involved know " Thanks for not being able to help me ". Maybe Home Depot can schedule some training on How to Help the Customer that helps pay their salary. Mark Brooks , Clover S.C. 980-722-0747

Smoker Delivery, The Home Depot, Brinkman #577, 999 North Loop West, 77008

" On Sunday, Feb.21,2016 i bought a Rivergrille smoker and also paid for delivery service that i had set up for Wednesday Feb. 24,2016 at around 4 pm. These smokers are built in store already by a contractor / third party so they say.

On Wednesday, 2-24-2016 the smoker was not delivered and no phone calls were made to me explaining why. At 8:30pm i tried calling and all i got were recordings. I got tired after 20 minutes of listening to there message that someone would be with me shortly.

On Thursday, 2-25-2016 while i was at work, i called Home Depot to find out why my smoker was not delivered. I called at 9 am (on my break) and was on hold for 12 minutes when a customer service woman answered the phone. I told her i was calling to find out why my smoker had not been delivered on Wednesday as i paid for this. She never took my name but placed me on hold. I now had to go back to work and i hung up. This was at 9:26am At 11am i got a voice message from Home Depot telling me that they forgot to put the smoker on the truck for delivery and that it will be delivered today between 1pm and 4pm. At 1pm i got a phone call from Home Depot and they said the girl put the smoker on the wrong truck and it won't be delivered until Friday afternoon between 1 and 4pm.

Friday 2-26-2016 The smoker made it at 1:15pm. I could not leave work the wife met the driver at the house. The driver pointed out that there is a nut missing on the wheel and it will fall off if not careful.
I got home at 3:30pm and looked at the smoker. There was a nut missing off the wheel and yes, the wheel fell off !! There was also bolts & nuts missing on the shelves and on the wood rack. Every bolt & nut was loose. They were not tightened to start with.

Saturday 2-27-2016 I go to Home Depot and want to talk to a manger. The manager for that area was not working so they got me the Supervisor of that area. I explained the situation and told him if he had metric bolts i can assemble the smoker. I also asked for a refund of delivery expense or at least a discount. He acted like he never heard that and took off to get the bolts i needed. He gave me the bolts and did not charge me. I ask for a return of delivery fee and he ignored me and walked off. Not once did anybody say i am sorry for that or we will make it good. I am pissed because they acted like it was normal for that to happen. I spent over $700.00 and get crap for it.

This review was modified by Tlntx on February 29 2016 03:40:52 PM

Share Home Depot's store rating

Home Depot is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Home Depot is not a merchant member
Home Depot does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!