• Hockey Monkey

Product & services pricing Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

"delivery was FAST - as always
Part of a $350 order - everything arrived fine

Monkey Customer Service was easy to reach, yet, gets low marks.
The product was the wrong size / the size chart was wrong... no "close" about it - this is a MATERIAL mistake and error in advertising the product.
Monkey Sports would not exchange, or return. More important, Monkey service did not call back as promised. And Monkey sports would not take the issue to Bauer Service for remediation. So, the customer is at a complete loss.
And that is fine. I am not trying to "fix" Monkey sports, or, make them better, I would advise others of this defect in service and poor customer experience - to consider all options when making purchase decisions. Clearly, HM is not interested in doing much more then collecting $s' and Marketing. Would love to know why they protect internal supply chain from customer feedback - I would fault Monkey management for not being engaged or empowered to improve the customer experience.

Product review:

Product is well made. Bauer always has quality; if anything, this product is over-built - if that is possible.

Yet, you can not buy this on-line from a retailer that does not accept returns.
In fact, the size chart is WRONG - given, this is a BAUER size chart, and HM would think they are exonerated based on publishing a supplier guideline on fit; yet, that is not good enough.

My kid is a very lean, just turned 8yrs old- at 49" tall, and a 23" waist. small for his age. I ordered a small [7-8yr old] / 23.5-24.5" waist for my son.
The next size up is 10-12 medium @ 24.5-25.5" waist and a "TEEN" cup!
OK, well, the small is so tight to his waist - its not workable. strings fully un-tied, you can't get a finger width between. Either its a manufacturing defect, misrepresentation, or, otherwise -

Bottom line, Monkey will not take it back in exchange [with full tags on], they are not willing to take it up with Bauer to evaluate the size guideline. So, buyer be ware - Misrepresentation exists in the guide of this product, it needs to be resolved, I am out $50. and Monkey did not step in to provide any assistance.

Suggest going to a local sore, or, buy from several on-line retailers that allow full returns for all items purchased, and are more willing to utilize supply chain to assist with positive customer experiences.

"Terrible customer service today from hockeymonkey.com regarding an order I placed recently.
The banner on the page stated "free hockey monkey hat with a $100 purchase."
I placed my order totalling $150, and it arrived, but no "free" hat.
So I contacted them reference this only to be told I actually had to add it to my basket first, (the banner didn't state this), and if I still wanted my "free" hat then I would have to pay the shipping costs, making it therefore "not free" anymore.
Managers have told their staff, this is the procedure that has to be followed when customers have "forgotten" to add their choice of "free" hat to their basket.
So I'm guessing that I wasn't the only one to be caught out by this then?
Anyway, thinking I would be treated as a valued customer, I contacted them earlier, expecting them to easily sort this problem out for me, but they won't budge.
If I want my "free" hat, then I've gotta pay the shipping costs for it.
I'll never use this horrible company again, and from now on will be taking my "valued" custom elsewhere.
Will also be making everyone I play with in the hockey world aware of this terrible experience too.

This review was modified by Thommo7879 on May 05 2015 12:17:38 PM

"I order a pair of GRAF hockey skates and they came in badly pre-sharpened. It was done in such a horrible way that it messed up the blades. I took it to a pro shop and the experts told me it was a butchered cross sharpening job. Even after a proper sharpening, the skates glides with hesitation due to the previous botched job.

Hockey Monkey was not willing to issue any kind of compensation.
The CSR basically said it's not their fault that I received butchered GRAF skates from Hockey Monkey.

I will not buy anything else from Hockey Monkey again and I will also advise all my hockey friends not to do any business with them.

This review was modified by fyremo on March 05 2015 05:19:47 PM

"Absolute worst customer service I have ever received. Passive aggressive CSRs. No customer satisfaction. Outrageous shipping charges. Returning items near impossible. Don't buy from here. "

This review was modified by merryj525 on February 23 2015 07:52:14 PM

"I wish i had read these reviews beforehand. My 16 year old son ordered 3 pairs of skates figuring he would return the 2 that didn't fit. We went to return the 2 pairs the very next day., and they charged us 10% restocking fee. Their website CLEARLY states on the home page No restocking fees before 30 days. When we called, we were very nice. They were rude!!! When I told the customer service rep it clearly states 'No restocking fee'...she replied, 'it's somewhere in the fine print...no one reads it' BUYER BEWARE! They are not customer service oriented. They also mislead the buyer! "

This review was modified by bderizzo on January 27 2015 12:30:34 PM

"This is the WORST customer service I've ever experienced! DO.NOT.ORDER. FROM.HERE. I ordered my son a sweatshirt for Christmas and it had a hole in the stitching and they wouldn't exchange it for a new one or give a refund. They said that it didn't look like a manufacturing defect after I emailed them photos and that their items are checked three times before they are shipped. Pretty much calling me a liar or that I put the defect there. Even asking for a supervisor doesn't help! Don't make the mistake of ordering from here! They're scammers!! I wouldn't even give them one star!"

"6 months ago I would have been one of the positive reviews. I had ordered a number of times and had simple, good experiences. But the real test of an online retailer is when things are not simple. I recently purchased a number of hockey sticks, only to find that they were mis-advertised -- a very different stick than the website described. Not only did I have to keep the one stick I tested and pay for return shipping, but I was treated extremely rudely by both the customer service rep and her "managers". Somehow it was my fault that I didn't magically understand that the product was falsely advertised. There are too many good options for hockey retail. I will never use HM again."

"Not a great place to do business. the order took too long by the time the items arrived my kids had already gone through 3 trainings. do yourself a favor shop some place else. the representative was rude and unappreciative as well as cold to my needs. "

This review was modified by lpsandre on January 13 2015 07:40:15 AM

"I purchased an Intermediate Stick Mystery Pack early this month for $129.98, complete with a promised minimum value of $200 (and, for some reason – and misleadingly-so – listed with a “Regular Price” of $309.99). The team did a fair job at meeting my requests – which they did not have to do – as far as flex, different blade patterns and lies of the sticks. However, the value portion fell well short of expectations.

I didn’t even notice this price discrepancy until I contacted Hockey Monkey about a crack in one stick that happened in under 10 minutes of ice time, when Hockey Monkey refused to assist me in shipping the stick to Bauer for a one-time warranty replacement or, what they should have done, to replace it themselves since it was clearly a "lemon".

Instead, I ended up speaking to a manager about the lack of value that I received in my Mystery Pack. Even without taking the December promotions into account, the sticks combined to be sold for under $180, and under $150 – with a third stick free – with promotions applied. She told me that, in this specific instance, I could return the sticks for a refund to make amends and I was issued a UPS return label that day.

If this was where the story ended, I'd be writing a positive review.

However, the next day (before I shipped the sticks back), I was contacted again and the offer was pulled back; they claimed they hadn’t known the sticks were used.

Despite me – at Hockey Monkey’s request – forwarding my notes and even an online chat transcript showing that I had been upfront about the condition of the sticks with no fewer than three representatives, Hockey Monkey’s final verdict was to deny my return and offer no further remedy for the situation.

I'd strongly recommend against using Hockey Monkey (or its partner stores) if you care at all about customer service and return information. Price-wise, they aren't bad, but stay clear of the Mystery Packs: they are a complete joke (my review of the stick pack has conveniently not yet shown up on their website, which shows a 4.5-star average rating). HockeyGiant.com and IceWarehouse.com are much better options with better customer service and even more-intuitive websites (ex. You can search for sticks with certain flex numbers or blade curves in either lefty or righty sticks, unlike with Hockey Monkey).

This review was modified by amg06f on December 18 2014 01:07:46 PM

"Ordered a CCM helmet which was too big for me. I sent it back straight away in the original box including all the paperwork and stickers. The box was slightly damaged from shipping, which I told customer service about on the phone. Then I received an email saying they refused my return, without giving any details about what could have been wrong. I called them again and they were saying that the return was refused, because they can't resell a damaged box. "

This review was modified by HansGaern on October 24 2014 12:41:40 PM

"Horrible customer service. Horrible shipping speeds. Ordered 2 day Air for a reason and they couldn't even get it to me in three days. Asked for a refund on my shipping and pretty much laughed at me. "

"I was so impressed with customer service and the excellent prices. I needed to call to have some assistance with my order and ask some questions about the product. I am a fairly knowledgeable person regarding in-line skates and I was pleasantly pleased how knowledgeable the people were who I spoke to on on-line chat and the telephone. My order shipped and was delivered within three days (without extra payment for shipping) and my order came just as promised. The prices were excellent and the products were fantastic. I never had any issues and sometimes I do find sellers are great unless you have problems - so I can't rate how this seller might be if a problem arises but since everything was right with my order I was very satisfied. "

This review was modified by alaskanskies on August 02 2014 05:35:42 PM

"I ordered a few things online with HockeyMonkey because the prices in Australia meant that even though the shipping is expensive it is still cheaper than here. Also, they just don't have the sizes for my son who is only 5. Well... I got a few things wrong in my order so panicked and sent an email. I received a quick reply from Sommer letting me know she was trying to track down my order. In the mean time I found something else wrong in my order so decided I should ring. I talked with Andrea who was very helpful and was then on a mission to track down my order. Instead of leaving me on hold she got my number and all I could think was "she won't call me back". 35 minutes later Andrea called... Andrea had tracked it down and proceeded to patiently correct all my errors and get the order correct. Andrea said it won't ship until the next day as it was late in the afternoon. Well I checked the order the next day and found that it was in fact sent the previous day. The speed of the delivery was exceptional as well. With the order complete at Monday lunch time in Australia, the delivery happened on Thursday afternoon... That is just ridiculous. I have never had such an exceptional online shopping experience and I tend to buy nearly everything online. WELL DONE HOCKEYMONKEY.... Congratulations to you. My sincerest thanks. Brian"

This review was modified by ozbarney on March 06 2014 01:00:59 AM

I ordered a helmet from hockeymonkey.com as a gift for someone who already plays and wears a specific size of the certain brand and the helmet wasn't the size as advertised.

so the nightmare begins...I don't like to complain and usually just take the bollocks I was dealt but their CUSTOMER SERVICE is vulgar and crude. (Namely: Tara V.) The representative lied about there not being a difference in express versus regular shipping cost other than they send it out right away with express

they tried to charge me the full retail price when returning for the helmet with no 25% discount as it was previously sold

will never shop with them again, as well as give them negative feedback on bbb.org

This review was modified by hockeyDissolution on December 30 2013 01:36:27 PM

"By far the worst customer service I have ever had. Ordered a helmet for my 11yr old son which, per their website, was supposed to ship within 72 hours. We received it 30 days later! Worse yet, it did not fit my son - and after 35 minutes on the phone with them, they REFUSED to accept the return. They will never see another dollar from me or anyone I know. Support your local hockey shop - at least they value their customers and treat them respectfully."

This review was modified by USAHockeyLvl4Coach on July 22 2013 09:02:27 PM

Share Hockey Monkey's store rating

Hockey Monkey is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Hockey Monkey is not a merchant member
Hockey Monkey does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!