Product & services pricing Rating 8.33/10 8.33/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.13/10 3.13/10

"I purchased an Intermediate Stick Mystery Pack early this month for $129.98, complete with a promised minimum value of $200 (and, for some reason – and misleadingly-so – listed with a “Regular Price” of $309.99). The team did a fair job at meeting my requests – which they did not have to do – as far as flex, different blade patterns and lies of the sticks. However, the value portion fell well short of expectations.

I didn’t even notice this price discrepancy until I contacted Hockey Monkey about a crack in one stick that happened in under 10 minutes of ice time, when Hockey Monkey refused to assist me in shipping the stick to Bauer for a one-time warranty replacement or, what they should have done, to replace it themselves since it was clearly a "lemon".

Instead, I ended up speaking to a manager about the lack of value that I received in my Mystery Pack. Even without taking the December promotions into account, the sticks combined to be sold for under $180, and under $150 – with a third stick free – with promotions applied. She told me that, in this specific instance, I could return the sticks for a refund to make amends and I was issued a UPS return label that day.

If this was where the story ended, I'd be writing a positive review.

However, the next day (before I shipped the sticks back), I was contacted again and the offer was pulled back; they claimed they hadn’t known the sticks were used.

Despite me – at Hockey Monkey’s request – forwarding my notes and even an online chat transcript showing that I had been upfront about the condition of the sticks with no fewer than three representatives, Hockey Monkey’s final verdict was to deny my return and offer no further remedy for the situation.

I'd strongly recommend against using Hockey Monkey (or its partner stores) if you care at all about customer service and return information. Price-wise, they aren't bad, but stay clear of the Mystery Packs: they are a complete joke (my review of the stick pack has conveniently not yet shown up on their website, which shows a 4.5-star average rating). HockeyGiant.com and IceWarehouse.com are much better options with better customer service and even more-intuitive websites (ex. You can search for sticks with certain flex numbers or blade curves in either lefty or righty sticks, unlike with Hockey Monkey).

modified review This review was modified by amg06f on December 18 2014 01:07:46 PM

"Ordered a CCM helmet which was too big for me. I sent it back straight away in the original box including all the paperwork and stickers. The box was slightly damaged from shipping, which I told customer service about on the phone. Then I received an email saying they refused my return, without giving any details about what could have been wrong. I called them again and they were saying that the return was refused, because they can't resell a damaged box. "

modified review This review was modified by HansGaern on October 24 2014 12:41:40 PM

Hockey Monkey User

"Horrible customer service. Horrible shipping speeds. Ordered 2 day Air for a reason and they couldn't even get it to me in three days. Asked for a refund on my shipping and pretty much laughed at me. "

"I was so impressed with customer service and the excellent prices. I needed to call to have some assistance with my order and ask some questions about the product. I am a fairly knowledgeable person regarding in-line skates and I was pleasantly pleased how knowledgeable the people were who I spoke to on on-line chat and the telephone. My order shipped and was delivered within three days (without extra payment for shipping) and my order came just as promised. The prices were excellent and the products were fantastic. I never had any issues and sometimes I do find sellers are great unless you have problems - so I can't rate how this seller might be if a problem arises but since everything was right with my order I was very satisfied. "

modified review This review was modified by alaskanskies on August 02 2014 05:35:42 PM

"I ordered a few things online with HockeyMonkey because the prices in Australia meant that even though the shipping is expensive it is still cheaper than here. Also, they just don't have the sizes for my son who is only 5. Well... I got a few things wrong in my order so panicked and sent an email. I received a quick reply from Sommer letting me know she was trying to track down my order. In the mean time I found something else wrong in my order so decided I should ring. I talked with Andrea who was very helpful and was then on a mission to track down my order. Instead of leaving me on hold she got my number and all I could think was "she won't call me back". 35 minutes later Andrea called... Andrea had tracked it down and proceeded to patiently correct all my errors and get the order correct. Andrea said it won't ship until the next day as it was late in the afternoon. Well I checked the order the next day and found that it was in fact sent the previous day. The speed of the delivery was exceptional as well. With the order complete at Monday lunch time in Australia, the delivery happened on Thursday afternoon... That is just ridiculous. I have never had such an exceptional online shopping experience and I tend to buy nearly everything online. WELL DONE HOCKEYMONKEY.... Congratulations to you. My sincerest thanks. Brian"

modified review This review was modified by ozbarney on March 06 2014 01:00:59 AM

I ordered a helmet from hockeymonkey.com as a gift for someone who already plays and wears a specific size of the certain brand and the helmet wasn't the size as advertised.

so the nightmare begins...I don't like to complain and usually just take the bollocks I was dealt but their CUSTOMER SERVICE is vulgar and crude. (Namely: Tara V.) The representative lied about there not being a difference in express versus regular shipping cost other than they send it out right away with express

they tried to charge me the full retail price when returning for the helmet with no 25% discount as it was previously sold

will never shop with them again, as well as give them negative feedback on bbb.org

modified review This review was modified by hockeyDissolution on December 30 2013 01:36:27 PM

"By far the worst customer service I have ever had. Ordered a helmet for my 11yr old son which, per their website, was supposed to ship within 72 hours. We received it 30 days later! Worse yet, it did not fit my son - and after 35 minutes on the phone with them, they REFUSED to accept the return. They will never see another dollar from me or anyone I know. Support your local hockey shop - at least they value their customers and treat them respectfully."

modified review This review was modified by USAHockeyLvl4Coach on July 22 2013 09:02:27 PM

"I would encourage anyone looking for hockey equipment to give their business to Total Hockey. The customer service at Hockey Monkey is terrible. Nothing more to say than don't make the same mistake I did...they are an awful company to deal with and train their staff to be just as discourteous, unhelpful and appalling as the company is to deal with."

modified review This review was modified by 313131 on July 16 2013 11:14:46 AM

"I just had a great shopping experience with HockeyMonkey, where they went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out, and wanted to recognize that. We live in Japan where my son plays hockey, however I was in LA recently on business and needed to get some replacement sticks for my son, as he recently broke his last Bauer X:60 and they don't seem to sell those in Japan any more. I didn't have enough time to get it shipped to my hotel, so I called them up and asked if there was any way they could ship some sticks to the store in Irvine, so I could drop by and get them. Jeremiah from the Irvine store handled it personally, and when I showed up on the Friday, the sticks were there and on hold in the back. Also dealt with Simon in Irvine, who was great as well. Nothing but rave reviews for these guys and the experience I had with HockeyMonkey. Will definitely order from them again."

modified review This review was modified by BigInJapan on March 11 2013 01:19:46 AM

"Another bunch of Monkeys running a business.
1. write some policies and procedures
2. hire mindless morons to follow those procedures and recite the policies

No individual customer service or circumstances considered at all.

"Dont shop here for Hockey equiptment , go to inlinewarehouse.com instead. I ordered Mission ac-7 skates that were a size to big. When I asked to exchange it to a size smaller , they charge for both return shipping and $14.99 to reship the exchange. Plus I bought the original skates at a discount rate , but if I wanted to exchange them I would have to pay the current price. Cynthia ( if thats her real name ) at customer services is pretty rude as well. Basically a pair of skates I bought for $95.00 would cost me another $75 to exchange or $170 in total. My hockey league friends all go to inlinewarehouse.com ( offers free shipping exchanges and no Hidden fees) and warned me not to use hockey monkey because of their exchange nightmare. Should have listened........."

"Disgusting customer service, terrible policies. Worst online shopping experince I've EVER had. They were willing to do nothing for our bad experince. DO. NOT. SHOP. HERE. I wasted $100 dollars because they wouldn't let me exchange for a better size or give me any store credit, and the lady in repsonse to my concern about completely wasting my money, said "just sell it on ebay". Disgusting people. I hope this store closes down, I will never take my business there EVER again and my boyfriend is on two hockey teams. "

"I've made two orders at Hockey Monkey and both were complete disasters. It is COMPLETELY true that they sell defective items. AND they will try to profit off you from it.

I bought 8 millenium wheels - 4 were defective.
I bought waxed laces - they sent unwaxed.
I bought a bauer totalOne ice pants - they were defective and didn't allow flexing at the hip region (you can't skate with them on)

This is all fine if they had a fair return process. But even on defective items they will charge a base shipping fee if you had free shipping. So I used a code for free shipping, they send defective items, and then I return the item and pay shipping back to them AS WELL AS having to pay back their "free shipping" of $14.99. This is their "base" shipping cost so it doesn't matter how cheap your item was to ship. This is completely unfair and it's one of those things where you have to read the fine print or read reviews to find out, which I unfortunately did not.

Jon

"Don't want to deal with defective items that have not been used. Very poor customer support. "

"Best customer service. I've order for years and spent a lot, not one mistake I can remember. It's pretty incredible. I tell people pretty much every week why they should order their equipment from hockeymonkey.com"

Hockey Monkey is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Hockey Monkey is not a merchant member
Hockey Monkey does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!