Product & services pricing Rating 5.47/10 5.47/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.20/10 2.20/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.20/10 2.20/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.33/10 1.33/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.95/10 0.95/10

"hobby king mis-shipped an item i ordered. i then opened a case with hobby king only to have them close it a year later and never respond. i only received an email 9 months later stating i failed to respond within a timely manner of 45 days. HA! i then proceeded to review my case which had no other notes then the ones i initially wrote. it appears hobby king opened my case and never sent a reply and let it expire without informing me. Good luck trying to call customer service! also most the items they sell are junk, be weary of their cheap prices; you wont save much in the long run!"

modified review This review was modified by voteseanm on February 19 2015 08:40:18 AM

"As a long time HobbyKing customer with over 200 orders, only 3 or 4 have had problems, and of those all were rectified in time so I have no complaint on that. However, I find myself having to write this very negative report on the disgrace that are the HobbyKing Gift Certificates on behalf of others. Many recipients of them are finding that if they are not used at the full value, the balance is not carried forward! So buy something with a $50 certificate that costs $1 and HobbyKing STEAL the remaining $49!!!
Anyone reading this review should pass the inforamtion on to as many people as you can - DO NOT PURCHASE HOBBYKING GIFT CERTIFICATES!!!!
I will no longer purchase from HobbyKing on general principle, until they either abandon Gift Certificates, or allow unspent balance to remain on them!!!

"I've had several bad experiences with HobbyKing. Mainly, they claim that items are in stock in the US, and once you order, you find out, when it doesn't ship in a week, that the items are not in stock.
It's very frustrating since no on in customer service will tell you what's going on. They just give you standard answers.s

modified review This review was modified by gyurko on February 10 2015 07:49:16 PM

"Order a battery from the UK warehouse and came next day so very happy.
I registered first and then used PayPal for protection as was worried about all the negative reviews but took the "risk" as the price was so competitive and not regretted it! Received plenty of emails keeping me informed of the order status and tracking number so cannot fault yet. Thought I aught to update the reviews in case people are undecided to use HK or not.

modified review This review was modified by robfullerspirx on February 10 2015 02:59:48 PM

"Brilliant service, I ordered some FPV goggles for 100 quid less than anywhere else, a couple of batteries, video receiver, orange RX and a peizo buzzer. total cost inc fedex delivery and import tax was £246 GBP.

Placed order on Saturday, 1 day after the order I received a dispatch notification and tracking number, the parcel went from China to Japan and then Stansted UK, was with me by Thursday.

All the stuff looks great and works well, very impressed. Just remember to buy stuff that is in stock and don't forget about the extra tax and postage cost to send half way around the world.

modified review This review was modified by ChrisM82 on February 06 2015 10:18:31 AM

"I have been ordering things from Hobby King for the last four or five years and have always received what I ordered and it has all worked upon receiving it. It usually takes about three weeks to get it from Hong Kong. This includes things like motors, ESCs, batteries, glue, props, wiring, connectors and other hardware. Perhaps I have been lucky but never any horror stories."

"Don't buy from this merchant. I placed an order without checking opinions about this seller and this was a huge mistake. I thought I was ordering from the US and it turned out that the order was shipped from Hong Kong. After paying for an item and an international shipping, which was very expensive, I received another invoice for VAT/tax from the shipping company - this should have been included in the shipping cost or I should have been informed about it when I paid for the item. Not after the fact. With shipping and VAT, the cost of the item increased 3x. I wanted to cancel the order but they didn't want to return me any money. In addition, they shipped the wrong item. The customer service was not helpful at all. "

modified review This review was modified by WKhobby on January 22 2015 10:43:46 AM

"I had to share. After reading through many reviews I was very reluctant to order from Hobby King. There are many horror stories online about bad situations and bad customer service. Let me breakdown my experience and then I'll comment on some of my observations concerning the plethora of negative reviews. Also, full disclosure, this is based on one order...my very first and I didn't have issues exchanges and wrong items sent that required resolution.

PROS:
- HK has the most comprehensive listing of available products for R/C hobbyist that I was able to find online.
- menus on the site were relatively intuitive and lead to the desired products.
- my order came from Hong Kong and was surprisingly fast, even with New Years day falling right after my order was placed. received in 5 days from Hong Kong even with New Years day in between.
- all of the products were as described and of high quality except for one pair of items that were very affordable (cheap) and I knew I was taking a chance. They were quad prop guards for DJI phantom. I knew they were too cheap to be durable. All other products were awesome.

CONS:
- I'm still very new to the site, but I have surmised that you have to order from one of the warehouses per order. I was ordering from the Hong Kong warehouse that has better prices, but I thought I was ordering from the US west warehouse. I think I figured out how to use the site and understand how this works....now, but it wasn't evident to me on my very first order. There was nothing to indicate (perhaps I missed it) while I was paying (paypal) that I was ordering from Hong Kong and not US. Buyer beware, use caution on which warehouse you are ordering from.
- shipping can be expensive and I was offered two options from Hong Kong, FedEx priority or some other outfit I've never heard of that warned of delays right up front. FedEx was less than 5% more...so fedex it was.

Tip:
- while ordering be sure which warehouse you are choosing items from. The site will warn you if you mix items, but be cognizant.

On other reviews:
- I ordered from the US and I assume our customs process is relatively streamlined. The reviews showing horrible delays and large import charges are usually non-United States orders and I can only assume they have very strict customs enforcement in their respective countries. Hobby King is running a multinational R/C supply business model and can be the victim, despite their best efforts, of conditions that are beyond their control.

I bought a Imax B6 (authentic and validated with SkyRC), several Lipo batteries and lots of other trinkets, all came quick and in good, fully functional condition. Thank you Hobby King.... at this point I highly recommend.

modified review This review was modified by RCpackrat on January 12 2015 08:01:28 PM

"total con use at your own risk ordered from uk wharehouse only to be sent a customs bill then parts missing only to find out they have no spares back up aftersales is a joke "

"Use this company at" YOUR PERIL" beware this company are con merchants. I went on to the "UK Warehouse" website and ordered 50 servos what I didn't know was the " UK Warehouse did not have these in stock and the order was placed through to Hong Kong. no wonder the carrage was so high. I did try to find out where they where coming from before I placed the order but trying to use their website to contact them you have more chance of contacting someone on Mars and would probably get better treatment from them than Hobbyking. A few days later I had a phone call from DHL asking me to pay £25 for Import Duty, VAT and processing costs. Eventually got onto Hobbykings "Live Chat" and spent over 1 hour trying to sort it out. Waste off time all they kept saying was sorry, I should have looked at the HTL bar and realised I was buying from outside the UK even though the only website I clicked onto was the UK Site. Now have been forced to pay the £25 to DHL to get my parcel delivered or lose the cost of the servos and the carriage costs. Learnt my lesson now going to University to get a Phd in Computer Sciences so I can analise a website before I buy again on the internet, better still just find another UK site and make sure they are UK Based. Since my experience I have since heard from my brother in law that several people he knows have had the same thing happen to them. As many people as possible need to know what could possibly happen to them if they are not carefulusing this site. Kevin"

modified review This review was modified by 22JWtk on January 02 2015 05:25:53 AM

"This company is a total rip off. Paid over $73.00 for items and got email next day to say everything was ok and they would be sending me tracking number. Then 2 days pass, not sending unless they get more money, some courier outfit sent me email looking vat which i have already paid. On live chat can't tell me when i will receive refund. Had to contact paypal, so hopefully not to long"

modified review This review was modified by jimt1507 on December 31 2014 08:35:08 AM

"never again.

I bought stuff for more than 1000 USD in 3 orders.
customer service is a joke.
after customs missions faulty shipments and ridiculous chat sessions with hobbyking one of the items (a ccd camera) burnt after connecting it and I learned from the forums that it is wired incorrect by factory. Nobody cared to inform customers. I opened a RMA and that is about 3 months ago. Nothing happens , I contacted online chat support several times. Its just a joke.
One of the lipo batteries exploded and burnt out in the house, glad I was home when it happened. RC servos fail and crash your plane. manuals are a joke! Its not worth it, I rather spend some more money and buy things from my local retailer.

modified review This review was modified by trigan69 on December 26 2014 05:41:58 AM

"The most ridiculous online shopping experience I have ever had.

I placed my order on November 14 and did not hear from them for 2 weeks. So, I contacted the customer service. They said they contacted the warehouse and the order was being processed. A couple days later I get a message about an unavailable item in my order. I replied right away with directions and asked to ship the rest of the order asap. A couple days later I get another message about another item unavailable in my order. They finally shipped the order 4 WEEKS after I placed it. After this screw up, they refused to send it with priority shipping and as of today, December 20, 5 weeks after I placed my order, I am still waiting for my order.

In the meantime they managed two mess up two other things. I specified the shipping address different from the billing address, and although they got the shipping address right, they used the recipient name from the billing address. They also sent separately, as directed, one of the unavailable items from the order, worth $8. The shipment was supposed to be free, but the value provided by their shipping to the customs included additional $50 for shipping, so now they have issued me an invoice to pay another $15 in taxes.

Below is my conversation with their customer service (when their live chat started to work eventually after a few days of not working):

Below are excerpts (to limit review length) of my chat with Customer Support:

(...)
[14:53:49] Patrick: I made my order or November 14, which is almost a 4 weeks ago. After two weeks, the order still was not shipped so I contacted Hobbyking. Then, after another few days, I received information about one of the items not being available. Now, I have just received information about another item being unavailable. I expressed in my prior communication how disappointed I was with how much time it was taking, but it looks like no one cares. Do you guys pack my order one item every 5 days? Am I gonna get another update about missing items in another 5 days? When will you finally ship my order? I think you will agree that this is the most ridiculous online shopping experience ever. Is Hobbyking doing anything to mitigate this situation?
[14:55:09] Eugene: Thank you for elaborating your concern, Patrick, and we deeply apologize for the delay of the process of your order. I'll be more than willing to assist you, let me just check the status of your order. Please give us a few minutes.
[14:56:50] Patrick: I have heard apologies already three times over last 2 weeks, but the order still has not been shipped...
[15:02:24] Eugene: As I checked your order, it's currently in Printed status, and all the items are now being scanned, aside from this one Product ID: 9536000003-0. Rest assured that this is the last missing item on your order as all the items are marked as scanned. I fully understand how frustrating this matter on your part, and rest assured that this time, your order will be processed and shipped. For back order item, please choose on the following: (...)
Patrick: When will the order ship?
(...)
Patrick: Ok, I am glad it will be shipped soon.
(...)
Patrick: How long is the shipping time?
(...)
Eugene: We really appreciate your cooperation with us, Patrick. The shipping time of your order will be 3 to 14 business days.
(...)
Patrick: Well, this is unacceptable, because it means I may be waiting another 3 weeks after already waiting for 4 weeks. Please ship it with a faster method, FedEx Priority or something similar.
(...)
Patrick: I may receive it after 3 days or after 14 days and given that Hobbyking has totally screwed up this order and I have been waiting for four weeks, I am not going to take chances to wait another three weeks, this is totally unacceptable.
Patrick: You guys should now make an effort to fix this situation.
Patrick: And what you can do is to ship it using a fast method, so that I am guaranteed to receive it fast.
Patrick: This seems like a reasonable thing to do and any reputable store would do exactly this.
Eugene: You may receive the parcel within 3 to 14 business days. In order for us to ship your order to any faster shipping method, you must need to settle first the shipping difference. We can only choose from the shipping method that will be provided on the check out page.
Eugene: We sincerely apologize for inconvenience, however, there's nothing to worry about, as your order will now be processed and ship sooner.
Patrick: I am not gonna pay extra to get my order after FOUR weeks of waiting.
Patrick: I would like to contact your manager about this situation.
Eugene: I'm sorry if our manager is not available at the moment. The reason why there is a delay in the process of the orders, is due to a high volume of orders that we are receiving, some orders are getting delayed in processing. But rest assured that the warehouse management are processing an alternative way to ship all the future orders on time.
(...)

modified review This review was modified by patrick_patrick on December 20 2014 03:48:19 PM

WARNING Stealth Import Tax Charges!

This is the first review i have written but i think it worth while. I purchased an RC Plane (Bix3) advertised at £88 gbp...... all in i have now spent £148 gbp to get it to my house. There is a huge delivery charge to get it from their warehouse in Hong Kong which i knew about but then the shipping company slap on a standard charge greater than 33% of the value of the item and call it import VAT?? Before it even reaches UK shores?? They say that they are holding the goods awaiting payment...what can you do but make the payment and write a review in the hope that nobody else gets stung without knowing.

Good Luck.

SCS Express International Limited
Dear

Just to inform you that your Hobby King parcel has arrived and completed customs clearance by
bulk under one shipment in Europe. In order to dispatch the parcel to you, please settle the below
VAT payment within 7 working days. You do not need to pay the VAT payment again in your own
country.
The invoice of total amount EUR 35.49 will be sent to you via PayPal shortly. Don't worry if you
do not have a PayPal account, you can still make the payment on www.paypal.com by credit card.
Our PayPal account is support@scsexpress.com
Once we have received the payment confirmation, your parcel will be sent either by GLS or DPD
and should be with you within 3-5 working days.
GLS or DPD will send you a dispatch email to confirm that your order has been sent.
Alternatively, the tracking details can also be found at our website www.scsexpress.com
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at support@scsexpress.com
Thank you for choosing our services.
Please copy & paste the following details on PayPal for our record
? ? ? ? ? ?
Order no.
Customs Clearance Dated :

Kind regards,
SCS Express International Ltd
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ?
Import VAT & clearance receipt ?
ANTHONY H. ?
Description :HS9503099 ?
ENTRY VALUE ?
DETAILS ?
? ?
? AMOUNT from Currency at exchange rate ?
? Shipping Value (USD) $ 55.35 USD 1.2452000000 ?
? EUR 1.0000000000 ?
? Invoice Value (USD) $ 128.78 USD 1.2452000000 ?
ENTRY REVENUE TOTALS ?
? ?
? Total Value (EUR) € 147.87 ?
? ?
Total Deferred Amount = Total Value x (%VAT + %DUTY + %HANDLING) ?
* DUTY is only appliance if Inovice Value is over USD210.00 Key Figures ?
? VAT: 20.00% ?
? DUTY : 4.70% ?
? HANDL 4.00% ?
? Total Deferred Amount (EUR) € 35.49 ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

modified review This review was modified by bert007 on December 18 2014 04:01:10 PM

"I have been purchasing products from HobbyKing for a couple of years. Their prices are good, but the quality has always been hit and miss--mostly marginal.

I have also been frustrated by the fact that they have so many inventory issues. (I almost never find what I am looking for in stock.)

Up until now, I have been able to accept this as being the price you pay to save money. (They are generally less expensive than other online hobby shops.) But my last order sat for weeks without being processed, even though the items were in stock. And no explanation was ever given.

I opened a service request and asked them to cancel the order. It took so long to get a response that I opened a dispute with PayPal.

When HobbyKing support finally responded, they told me they could not process my refund until I canceled the PayPal dispute. I did as they requested (even though I knew better), and now they have simply become unresponsive. Nor have they refunded my money.

Even worse, you can only open a dispute once for a particular PayPal transaction, so I am stuck having to deal with HobbyKing's silent treatment. (I kind of get the impression at this point that I was just conned into giving them a monetary donation without any recourse. :( )

Never again! This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced with any online merchant.

I doubt they even care, but they have forever lost a formally loyal customer. (And I spend a lot on this hobby!)

modified review This review was modified by bgaarsoe on December 17 2014 10:26:49 AM

Hobby King is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Hobby King is not a merchant member
Hobby King does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!