• Rating 2.33/10 101 reviews

Harbor Freight Tools is not a merchant member
    Harbor Freight Tools does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • Harbor Freight Tools contact information

Product & services pricing Rating 8.13/10 8.13/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10

"The Survival Nut fans: Yes, you can do it! You can 'prep' on a budget! One coupon at a time, one item at a time, one well-planned trip to Harbor Freight can get you started!

Read it here: http://www.thesurvivalnut.com/2014/03/19/survival-tip-survival-on-a-budget-can-be-done/

Harbor Freight Tools are cheaply made. Anyone with a brain can see this immediately. Take that into account when you purchase their products.

This does not mean that you should not purchase their products--some of their products can be used appropriately. I like their magnesium fire starters and their flashlights.

modified review This review was modified by CShell2014 on March 19 2014 03:37:27 PM

"Bad customer service - They shipped me the wrong parts and it took a long phone call to convince them to refund the $96.94 shipping charge in addition to the cost of the product. They only agreed to do this after their warehouse confirms what I told them and offered to send pictures of. They sent the wrong package and are holding onto my money until I can prove it to them in their slow process. Photographs to expedite the process aren't accepted. This is a two part order and the other half hasn't been received. They require I wait to receive the other merchandise and then call back and go through another conversation. Multiple attempts to speak to a supervisor were denied."

modified review This review was modified by JByrd47 on March 11 2014 06:33:38 AM

"WE LOVE HARBOR FREIGHT!

Can't speak for their online website as we only purchased there once, the experience was great there too.

The local Harbor Freight store we have in town is just the best. My favorite place to shop! The tools and products are a great value and the quality has been superb on everything I've purchased. If a tool breaks, they'll replace it forever, though that has never happened to me. Friendly staff too, we just love shopping here! The best part is the price, you can get so much there for a small about of money. I have seen identical products at Sears as Harbor Freight. Sears say Craftsman while Harbor Freight say Pittsburgh. Some of the tools are identical only so much lower priced at Harbor Freight. I don't know what I'd do without this store, I just love these guys!

"PATHETIC CUSTOMER SERVICE !!! There is not a HFT near me. While visiting Lafayette, La. I bought the circular saw sharpener. When I got home I assembled it to find it was missing the flanges that holds the sharpeneing blade in place. I work retail so I'm use to missing parts. I Emailed customer service explained the problem gave receipt info and asked them to ship the parts since I do not live near a HFT. They responded saying they " would not ship the part " that I needed to take it back to the store.
Now I will summarize the following Emails to shorten many Emails.
I replied saying again not near a HFT.
They replied saying they would not send parts needed but could return it for replacement.
To shorten more. We'll pay shipping but there could be " restocking fee".
Me: why should I have to pay restocking fee when parts were missing ?
Them: no restocking fee.
I just want my money back by now.
Them: No. Replacement or take it back to a HFT for refund.
Me: I drove 2 hours one way to the closest HFT to get my money back.

I will never set foot in a HFT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

modified review This review was modified by cochise011 on January 01 2014 09:02:53 AM

"I ordered a 30" belt sander. It arrived in a "used" condition. I contacted their "customer service" on August 2, 2013. I heard from the finally on August 21. Their on-line customer service stinks. Their local store customer service is A+++. I encourage anyone reading this review to use their store if you want to purchase from this vendor. Stay away from on-line shopping!"

"as every body else already said: Do Not Buy from HF-impossible to get refund, poor Customer Service (I can't even call it "service")
Just don't go there.

modified review This review was modified by m1964 on July 22 2013 05:09:12 PM

"Don't buy anything from this shady operation. You may get lucky and get what you ordered. However, if anything goes wrong, like a defective item, you will be kicking yourself for not heeding the warnings issued here.

In my case, I tried to cancel an order for a milling machine days before they shipped it after finding the mill is junk using plastic gears that designed to break. I called twice to cancel and e-mailed three times. No emails responses at all and on the phone the first time I called (a few hours after ordering online) they could not find my order. On the second call they claimed to have canceled the order but still shipped it later that day. I called FedEx to refuse the shipment and was assured it would be taken care of. The next day it still shows up in transit for delivery.

Just look at the rating and complaints here. This crooked seller lies, lies, lies about everything, both in their ads and in dealing with customers. The BBB revoked their membership on 4/23/2013 for violation of BBB Standards in regards to honesty in advertising and due to their dishonest dealing with customer complaints. They have 213 recent customer complaints at the Santa Barbara, CA BBB website - check it out. You have been warned.

"ORDER FROM HF AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Tried ordering a few simple tools that I would only need for one time job. Nothing on ther website is up to date and most of the stuff seems to be always on back order.
It was almost imposible to get a customer service agent on the phone to cancel my order because I didnt want to wait the 4-6 weeks it might have taken to restock the items I needed. Ended up taking almost two weeks to get my order canceled

"Completely useless India based customer support.

Called them several times they have the wrong delivery address. Not sure how they screwed it up as I verified the order by calling an hour later. I also emailed them several times.

Trying to get help makes me realize they could care less about you once your order is placed and have 100% completely useless foreign based customer service that never followed through or returns a single email or call or really has authority to even help you.

When I called, I got sent back and forth from department to departemnt and person to person, after shuffling me around for 30 minutes and them unable to do something as simple as correct the address I hung up with no resolution!

Not it is sitting at the shipper as over two weeks later and HFT still has not returned a single call or email, They are fools as the shipment is truch shipped and they will be paying a huge return cost. But it does not surprise me at all they operate like this!

modified review This review was modified by AlexKProjt on May 01 2013 10:57:01 AM

"After reading all the negative reviews, I felt compelled to post a review of my own. I typically purchase tools at the Harbor Freight store in person since I like to actually see what I’m buying. This last go round, I decided to make an online purchase since the HF store is 150 mi. from where I live and it would be a while before I made another out of town trip. Besides, they had some coupon deals I couldn’t pass up.

I ordered 5 moving dollies and a Mig-Welder Cart. I placed the order on a Saturday evening. The order was processed the following Monday. The welding cart was on backorder, but the dollies were available and shipped first. Since I ordered several, they shipped in 2 separate boxes. I received a notification that the items shipped and was sent FedEx tracking numbers for both boxes. I was a little concerned, but decided to wait them out. While those boxes were in transit, I got a notification that the welding cart was available and that item had been processed. I was sent a FedEx tracking number for the cart.

In all, I was pleasantly surprised. Everything I ordered arrived within a reasonable amount of time. The items were packed well and arrived complete and undamaged. The entire order was shipped via FedEx for a flat $6.99 fee. My credit card was charged only when the items were processed and shipped. I have been buying HF tools for years and have had relatively few negative issues. I understand that the quality of some of their items is commensurate to price and have no unreasonable expectations. I plan to order from them again sometime in the near future.

"Ordered for my son for Christmas. Still not received and the tracking # shows not shipped. A call to customer service had them encouraging me to cancel the order (?). Seems that after they get your money (which happens immediately) they are done with you and could care less if you get your order. Customer Service said that it would be here by 1/11/13 yet (you guessed it) still no tracking and no item delivered. No email from Harbor Freight regarding when it will be shipped, back ordered or anything except buy more from us. Very dissapointing experience. No more orders from me."

"On December 16,2012, I ordered, online, a $50.00 gift card from Harbor Freight to send to my son-in-law for Christmas. I used my Discover Card and the 50.00 charge showed up on my account on the 18th. The only acknowledgement received from HF was a confirmation of the order.
As of 12/27/2012, My son-in-law has not received his gift. I called HF customer service # and was promptly cut off 3 different times. So I called the local store to ask if they could help. The answer was "no, as they (cust serv) was a separate entity. ????? Anyway, I finally was able to reach a human, and told them what had happened; talked to 3 different people - 2 said it had been sent out on the 18th. 1says the order did not exist. I had e-mailed a copy of the order to my son-in-law, so he called them. They informed him that I would have to re-order as due to some technical difficulty on their end the order was not processed correctly. Thus the re-order. Now don't you think that strange, especially since it was applied to my charge card.
These people either think their customers are complete idiots, or, they themselves are complete idiots. The latter is probably the better descript. 7 - 10 business days for delivery? My assumption is that whoever processes the shipment saw that the card had already been applied to my card, and they never sent it - they kept it for theirself. They will never get my business again, even locally. This is really a disgusting way for an established company to conduct business.
R Howard
Fort Wayne IN

"The cheap tools from Harbor Freight are great for the average homeowner who just needs to do a minor repair once in a while. It is also a great place to buy paint brushes, sanding pads, tarps, tie downs, and other small tools. I have always dealt with the store directly and have had no problems with returns. You get what you pay for, but if you are an occasional tool user, the tools at Harbor Freight are just fine."

"On Oct 24th I purchased a'Chicago Electric Power tools' Vibratory Tumbler at the Bakersfield, Ca store. Driving back to Az (5+1/2 hr drive) I plug it in and NOTHING. I plugged it into 3 different hot outlets and Nothing. It won't run.

I unpluged it and was putting it back into the box when the plug brushed my arm and gave me an electric shot. What the hell crap are they selling?/

I now have to drive to Las Vegas (1+1/2 hr drive) to return it and get my money back.

"Dishonest! They lie! Do not do business with Harbor Freight!
The nearest Harbor Freight store is 50 miles from my home. I learned that they had an automatic booster pump on clearance for $69.95. I was unable to go to their store to buy it due to a recent wildfire in my area. They advised me that they could not ship the item from their store, so I went to their web site and saw the booster pump listed for $119.00. I called their 800 number and asked if they would honor the $69.95 price at my “local” Harbor Freight store. The Harbor Freight representative, Ms. Palay, assured me that they would. She said she would take the order over the phone and adjust the price. Early the next morning I checked my recent Amex charges online and found that Harbor Freight had charged me the full price for the item. I immediately called Harbor Freight to advise them of their mistake and was informed that they were not able to match my local Harbor Freight store’s price. I told them that Ms. Palay assured me that she would adjust the price, otherwise I would not have ordered the item. I insisted that they cancel the order and credit my Amex account immediately. The senior manager that I spoke with said the item had already shipped, so I would just have to wait for it to arrive, then refuse it. He said once the item was returned, they would credit my Amex card. Both FedEx and UPS drop my packages at the entrance of my long driveway, so I never see the drivers, thus cannot refuse delivery. Several hours later I received an email from Harbor Freight with a FedEx tracking number. I immediately called FedEx to advise them that I did not want the item delivered. Their rep said that the shipping label had been initiated but the item was still at the Harbor Freight warehouse, thus not in the possession of FedEx. She said I would have to keep tracking the package and call FedEx back after it was in their possession to tell them I refuse delivery. FedEx picked up the package from Harbor Freight this morning, so I did call FedEx to stop delivery. Their rep said she would try to stop delivery, but that could take up to 48 hours. The package is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.