Stores > Half Price Books

Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10

2016-10-13

Dehumanizing Experience

"Imagine packing up about 200 books, carefully sorting by subject matter, loading several heavy containers into your car, then driving 11 miles to Half Price Books Hell. The guy assigned to help get the books inside, was a virtual door knob -- no affect, no conversation, no smile or acknowledgenment of my presence, no "thank you" when I opened the door for his push cart. When I asked if I could hold the cart steady, he didn't reply, didn't say "thank you" or "no thank you." He just seemed to tremendously resent that he had to work at all. Then I find out, he's the one to value my books -- one box of popular paperbacks that I could have sold on Ebay for $30. He was finished in less than 10 minutes -- for about 200 books! Value: $25.00. I voiced my concern about this characterless, ill-bred individual to management thinking the low valuation being affected by his crappy attitude. Management basically said, "Oh. Sorry you had that experience. Looks like he could use some coaching (How about firing?!) Here's a 15% coupon for your next visit." Insulting gesture.
This used to be a first-class establishment. Now they just don't care. Don't "donate" your books to HPB. And check out Amazon if you are in the market for new and used books. HPB can't last too much longer with their increasingly condescending attitude.

This review was modified by Joszy on October 13 2016 12:28:24 PM

2016-09-22

SO SAD WATCHING IGNORANT SIMPLETONS ACT LIKE THEY KNOW WHAT THRY ARE BUYING AND TALKING ABOUT

"I bring in silver aged early 1964 issues of Uncanny Xmen, numbers 23, 26, 34. I also bring in key issues 201 ( Cables first appearance as baby Nathan Summers.) 211, 212, 222, Annual 14 ( Gambits real first apperance. This issue came out 2 months prior to issue 266 ) along with 10 non key issues in the low 300's. The silver issues ranged from a 4.0-6.5 and retail for those three alone would be around 110$. I clearly know i wouldnt get anywherw near that so thats why i included those other 4 key issue comics and the 10 regular ones. All i wanted was a even trade for 1 # 266 that they had overpriced at 100$. My four key issue comics and the other ten reg. comics were in much better shape than there 266. So when the gal who acted like she knew what she was talking about called me to the buy counter and told me how bad they were going to rip me off, i mean when she told me the amount i litterally almost picked up there overflowimg cash register and smashed it. 7 DOLLARS 7 MOTHER **** **** SMASHING DOLLARS. So i had a slight brain aneurysm quietly then i said noway picked up my comics and left. I'm never going to the store again. Besides having my bike stolen right in front of their store while It was locked up and an employee was standing right there and besides them over the years ripping me off so bad over and over after years and years. Besides them being rude having employees that have no idea what they're talking about but act like they do and when you try to correct them they give you attitude. Besides their umpa Loompa blueberry fat Rollie Pollie manager beard man who has no idea what he's talking about either but acts like he does because he's overwhelmed with taco intake. It's a horrible business. The only good thing about it is there one employee Corey. She is very helpful and very lovely woman and if it wasn't for her every single piece about that company is terrible besides her. So far I've seen about 50 reviews and freaking 48 are horrible reviews. So 98.5% of the people who wrote about your business are horrible horrible reviews and terrible customer service dishonesty and lying. For the worst business in the world award you win Half Price Books dont be to surprised if something terrible happened. Karma is a mother f***** you screw over people daily and you smile about it. So maybe you will get screwed over and over and whoever's doing it smile and it makes you cry your owners are garbage your franchise or whatever you have going on in that stupid store is garbage just because you put money in your pocket doesn't mean you're successful. What goes around comes around and yours is coming"

This review was modified by IllFindYou on September 23 2016 01:52:13 PM

2016-09-10

I received all college textbooks within 5 days and 1/6th the price from my school :)

"I was a little worried about ordering my college textbooks online, but I know that there are hundreds of Half Price Book stores across the US so I took the chance. I am beyond pleased! I received the first book on the 3rd day and the remaining three on the 5th day after ordering. They are all in great shape! They were shipped from 3 different states and I still received them in a timely manner. If I would have ordered them from my school the price was $545 and I paid $103.70 total-including the tracked shipping and taxes! I will order from this site for my remaining 2 semesters....I just wish I had found this site when I first started college."

This review was modified by BethiaCoker on September 10 2016 02:05:04 PM

2016-08-26

RIP OFF CITY-Overland Park Ks store

"I don't even want to give them one star! Half price books rips people off. I took an entire car and trunk load of books, all hardback expensive books to them. They offered me $25.00. It's a joke. Then I had bought a calendar from them and asked the cashier if I could bring this back if my daughter doesn't care for it. She said sure no problem at all. So when I went to bring it back 8 days later they would not refund my money. They said it had to be returned before 7 days. I told them I had asked the cashier the rules and made sure before I bought it that it could be returned. The store manager did not care at all!!!!!!!! And was completely rude. I will never step foot in their stores again. "

This review was modified by blgiles7 on August 26 2016 11:11:12 AM

2016-07-06

Will not issue refunds or give you return shipping label

"First, you never get the book. Then when you request a refund, you are supposed to ship it back with your own money. They will not give you a return shipping label. I bought four books, actually got two, requested for a return and am still waiting for my last two books OR THE REFUND FOR THE BOOKS I NEVER GOT."

This review was modified by rtroupe on July 06 2016 08:21:17 AM

2016-03-08

Bad Description Still Cost Me Return Postage

"I won't ever order through Half Price Books marketplace again. The book I received was advertised as a hardback book, which I'd searched for specifically. I received a paperback, the correct title but WAY overpriced for a small paperback. Half Price Books policies state they will not refund the return shipping fees, but we're 'urged' to use a trackable shipping method, which costs more, or we may not get our money refunded at all. How sensible is this?? They can clearly get the return shipping from the seller! By the way, I contacted the seller & zero response. I also contacted Half Price Books, zero response there either. Just a form for me to print & fill out, & their list of restrictions.

It's AMAZON.COM for me from now on!

This review was modified by Darrowby on March 08 2016 07:08:59 PM

2016-02-10

Highway Robbery

"Never, ever ever, sell to these crooks ever! Look, I get it. You can't have a business that keeps shelling out cash to everyone that comes in, but at least be fair about it. I brought in 30 dvds/blu-rays/xbox games all in great condition, and figured, I'd at least get a buck for each. They offered me ELEVEN FREAKING DOLLARS! That is BEYOND insulting. They used to be fair, but now they just essentially want you to donate your stuff. Crooks!"

2015-12-19

"Ordered a cookbook and paid for 2-day shipping. They sent an email said it shipped. Provided NO tracking number. Five days later, no book. No response from the seller. Having a not so Merry Christmas. Thanks HPB. Won't be so stupid to do this again. "

This review was modified by rowentx on December 20 2015 07:10:31 AM

2015-12-04

"worse place ever will not sell them nothing again.18.00 for a 100 books said they were water damaged.i left the books except for 8 of them.i sold them for a 100.00 .really my thought on this is if you have to steal from me i will give you them,The books they got will be sold on their web site.Do not take books to them to sell.i could have donated every book to the kids in need.i have donated 500 books.no one was water damaged.they are theives."

2015-07-02

"Would never take anything to trade in to these guys ever again. Took about 15 VHS movies in and the guy says something along the lines of "Do you want to even trade these in? We can only give you about 15 cents." You kidding me? Okay I get these are older tapes but you're seriously going to give me only a penny each tape? Forget you guys. I think I'll find my old Madden disc and go trade that in at GameStop instead."

This review was modified by reb2380 on July 02 2015 08:53:59 PM

2014-09-22

"Don't ever buy books from this on-line store, especially Hippo Books !!! I bought 4 books that are in a series. I was promised delivery in 3-9 days. After 16 days, I began e-mailing them. After 22 days, I finally have been issued a refund for 1 of the 4 books. Rather than process the refund for the entire order, which would make sense, I guess they're going to REALLY make me work for my refund of more than $22. I can tell by each e-mail response that they are not even reading the question, but sending stock responses. I'm going to complain to the BBB about halfpricebooks.com & Hippo Books. "

This review was modified by kgrevoni on September 22 2014 07:38:00 PM

2014-09-18

"Terrible, I bought an $80 book and later found out that it was not the book i needed. Filed for return and mailed the book back. They send me an email saying that my return is denied. So now they have my money and the book and i am left in the dirt.

Thanks HPB!

This review was modified by ebobe123 on September 18 2014 03:46:22 PM

2014-08-31

"TERRIBLE customer svc..no response from direct seller or HPB. Order placed 8/17, shipped 8/19 and tomorrow is Sept 1st and I have no gotten my book yet and have not been able to reach ANYONE to help me."

2014-06-09

"I have bought a total of 12 books from HPB Marketplace. These are the online resellers of used books. Like an HPB ebay. 4 of the books took over two weeks to make it from Texas and California to Minnesota. Two of those sellers told me "Please don't write a bad review" or "Please don't give us a bad rating". I would but I can't! There's no link on HPB for rating sellers, no link in any invoice emails, no link in my account! What is up with that? Then I send an email to HPB about this.......two weeks later (maybe more).....no reply. Just sent another today....we'll see.
Also the shipping costs are bogus. I bought 8 $0.99 books, so $7.92. It was $3.99 shipping each book....$23.92?????????? I've actually been to a post office before, I know they don't think anyone in the US goes there anymore....BUT LISTEN UP RIPOFF ARTISTS!!!! WE DO!!! None of the books would cost more than $1.48 to ship. Why not just price the book at $3.99 and shipping at $0.99 instead of lying about the shipping cost? Is that what online purchasing has become? Making money of shipping instead of product? What a joke this joint is.

Funny thing is I have never seen a book in HPB for $0.99. I wish you could deal directly with the resellers.

This review was modified by riproaring on June 09 2014 10:04:18 PM

2014-04-24

"I was moving from a house to a tiny apartment and had to unload my massive manga collection quickly. I brought in 395 volumes of manga that were in AMAZING condition. They retail, depending on the kind, anywhere from $10 to $13 dollars.

After hauling 3 ridiculously heavy bins in and waiting for 45 minutes they only offered me $150 for all of them. I wasn’t expecting a lot for them but I was at least hoping for $1 a book. Didn’t even get that. I accepted the offer but I have massively regretted it ever since.

If you’re selling then I highly suggest using them as a last resort only.

Share Half Price Books's store rating

Half Price Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Half Price Books is not a merchant member
Half Price Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!