Half Price Books Reviews - halfpricebooks.com/ Ratings at ResellerRatings

Rating 1.00/10 17 reviews

Half Price Books is not a merchant member
Half Price Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!

"Worst book buying experience ever! Promised ONLINE that all "supplemental and companion materials" were included, but the book came without the CD needed for homework! Plus, it was mailed in only an envelope, which tore and damaged the book, lowering resale value. They said I could return but I couldn't because there wasn't time to get another book. I emailed pix of damage and missing CD sleeve and asked for a partial refund which they refused! Horrible (nonexistent) customer service. LIARS! (Order through Valore)I would give them ZERO stars if I could. They don't deserve one."

modified review This review was modified by enufff on April 04 2014 03:58:05 PM

"Worse service I've ever had. Been waiting for a book for almost a month now, I have been calling hpb for the entire week to see where is my book or get a refund and so far nothing, today one person calls me to tell me the book is at my local postal office, they tell me USPS is lying and the book is there (since I've already called and postal office agent says they never received it). Tried Fedex they say book wasn't delivered, I ask for the address they have and the agent says there is no apt number but clearly there is one on my receipt. 40 minutes later "Christopher" from hpb calls me says books is being returned to them, I ask why just to see what he is going to say and guess what? He says they tried to deliver it but there was no one to claim (just another lie? Never got any notification, how could they notify the recipient if there's no apt number on address?) worse, worse, worse now what are they going to do? NOTHING they don't have another book to ship. can reimburse me and that's all. My $3000 class I will need to pay for even if I fail because of them. Not to mention them saying they'd be calling me. e-mailing me with information on it and never doing it. This has caused me so much stress since I had to take a test without my readings."

modified review This review was modified by jurs2014 on February 06 2014 07:02:57 AM
Rating 6/103/5

"I don’t think that they are fair enough when they buy books from you. I had the same issue like the other guys. Brought them 3 boxes of books and have been offered $15. Just don’t even bother to carry all of these books If you think you are gonna make good money."

"Half Price Books works well until the system breaks down. Then, they disown their involvement by saying that once the item leaves their seller, there's nothing that can be done if it is lost. This is a disappointment because our first interactions with them were satisfactory. Now, a textbook for which we've paid has disappeared and neither HPB, nor the seller, nor the post office knows where it is. We are out the money, with no recourse, despite having made many attempts to contact each of the people involved. Don't buy anything from HPB unless you are sure that you can forfeit the money. Also, don't depend on their computer system to accurately update any information changes, like an address change, because it won't. That's how this loss began."

modified review This review was modified by cesmart on June 19 2013 09:54:18 AM

"I LOVE HALF-PRICE BOOKS!!! Love, love, love them! They have an amazing selection of what seems to be every version of every book on the planet...and they're so cheap! I have gotten rare special edition versions of books that cost $70 regularly for $20. I can satisfy the craving to read new books without forking up $16 for a book I may or may not like. Prices for the normal book typically range from $3 to $10. The cheapest books on their website are usually in poorer quality but they are readable and that's all that matters to me (unless I'm seeking a collectable book). They also have audio books at least half-off regular price. This store seriously makes my inner nerd so happy :) I cannot say enough about Half-Price Books. I absolutely recommend them, and if there are any physical stores in your area be sure to visit them - there are always hidden gems on their shelves :) The only downside to HPB is that most the books on their website come from different sellers, so expect different shipping fees for each seller. Oh yeah - I just read everyone's reviews regarding selling books to them: I tried selling books to them and also felt I didn't get as much as the books were worth. However, buying books, movies and CDs from them has me remaining a happy and satisfied customer. I would avoid selling to them, though. "

modified review This review was modified by pumpkinlatte on June 06 2013 04:40:52 PM

"Took about 200 books in. Had to wait half an hour in their store for them to offer me $10. So I spent the gas to go there and hauled 4 heavy boxes in and wasted 30 minutes in their store perusing their ill-gotten goods.
I didn't expect to make a killing but $10 shows an unusual amount of greed on their part.
Do not make this mistake. Just donate them.

"I purchased a book from a seller supposedly in California. It took over two weeks to arrive. It was supposed to be a hard bound copy of a book but was an "International Edition" printed on extremely thin paper. This was a $38 book ! When I contacted the seller he said I should have clicked through and looked at all the details. This book was listed under the hard cover ISBN ! At the time I ordered, there was no international edition badge but conveniently the seller added one the same day I contacted him although it was still listed under hardcover. I returned the book using their "100% satisfaction guaranteed" policy although I had to pay the return shipping.

I finally got an email saying "return denied" due to the "words in my return note". What ??? I did not say anything in the note except why I was returning it. No insults or even harsh language. And now you're going to just keep my book. Don't ever shop at this store. Worst online ripoff in recent memory.

"They should call it half price crooks. I love shopping there but will never sell my books to them again. I brought it around 30 books that included the popular twighlight series, nicholas sparks and lauren conrad. All in great condition. I probably spent around $360 on all of them, read them once and they offered me $7. That is less than a price of one new????"

"I wish I had read the reviews before I took 5 boxes of books (about 100 books)to the Highland Park, IL store. They paid $35 which was literally pennies per book and since I had brought them from Michigan and was suffering with back pains I didn't feel like loading the books back into the boxes and reloading the car. When I asked how the books were priced, the answer was vague. I'd have been better off donating the books to Goodwill and taking a charitable tax deduction based on how much Goodwill sells books for, which is more than I was paid by Half Price Books. I wouldn't shop there either after my experience. There are plenty of other used book stores."

"I had a horrible experience at the Highland Park location on Lake-Cook Road last weekend. I carried in two boxes of books and looked around for the counter to sell books. I saw a very young employee standing in front having coffee. I asked him and he replied very rudely, "There's a big red sign RIGHT THERE!" as he pointed across the room at a counter that I did not obviously see. I sarcastically thanked him for pointing it out to me. I turned in my books and waited approximately 15 minutes for an offer. They offered me $8.00. When I asked to see an itemized list, there were only 6 books listed! I thought this was very dishonest given their prices and being that my books were newer, read only once and shelved. I had them box them right away and took them back to my car. I would rather donate them! I was dissapointed given that I had visited the Niles location on Touhy and had a great experience buying books. I will never visit the HP location ever! They were very rude!"

"It was a horrible experience. I brought in over a hundred video cassette tapes. At this current time, their value is practically nothing, however this was quite a few years ago. The man behind the counter dumped all of my video tapes out of the box and offered me seven dollars for them. Since they were mixed in with everything else behind the counter, I felt like it would be too much to refuse their offer since all of my video tapes were mixed in with everything else. I think that they do this on purpose to make the person feel "funny" for asking for your stuff back. I got seven dollars for over one hundred video tapes which averages less than a dime a video that they offered me. The week after I sold them my videos,I went into the store and saw that they were selling the videos for fifty cents a piece. Dishonest! This company will go out of business if they continue in this way!"

"I've read some of these past reviews and all of them say the same thing: the organization is not honest with their pricing and selling.

I found this out to be true after I sold about 16 bestselling books and 7 magazines to Half Priced books. I thought I would get a good deal off these books, but I didn't. In return, I got $5.50. I accepted the offer, but regretted it later. I could have gotten a better amount if I sold them at garage sale. I am never selling or buying books at Half Priced Books again because of being cheated out on this book deal.

"Don't even think about selling used books to this store. It took more than a half hour for staff to offer me $5 for a box of hardback books -- about 7% of what they will resell the books for in the store. A total waste of time. I won't go back."

"I brought in a couple of boxes of decently good books (I have bought used books all my life, I have a good grasp of this). My impression was that the kid at their buying station had never been involved with books in her entire life, and had been through some kind of 2 week "training" course to buy. The off was low, with the better books in the reject pile (which, I might add, they wouldn't let me keep. They are all or nothing when you sell). I watched her puzzle over books by Ian Rankin, Charles De Lint, and the like, putting them in seemingly random piles according to some unknown sorting system. Then the off ended up averaging about .50 for hardbacks and .10 for paperbacks (current science fiction, 2009 mysteries, etc). She refused to let me have the stuff back that was in the reject pile; when I insisted, she split them off, sent me off into the store for another 15 minutes, then called me back with an offer that was much as the first, minus exactly $1 for the pile (1-15 hardcovers, 15 or so paperbacks) that I wanted to keep. I decided to pass, took my books to a University District independent (small) bookstore, and got an offer for 3 times the amount.

The problem here is that the kids doing the buying are not even remotely book people, don't have a very wide base of book knowledge, and are stuck in a strict, easy-to-teach half good book buyer education. Don't blame the buyer kids, but I don't think I'll ever sell to them again.

"They always list items out of stock. You will always find stuff unavailable. Don't know why? Like a site without superviser or management group."