Stores > Half Price Books

• Half Price Book

Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

2016-03-08

Bad Description Still Cost Me Return Postage

"I won't ever order through Half Price Books marketplace again. The book I received was advertised as a hardback book, which I'd searched for specifically. I received a paperback, the correct title but WAY overpriced for a small paperback. Half Price Books policies state they will not refund the return shipping fees, but we're 'urged' to use a trackable shipping method, which costs more, or we may not get our money refunded at all. How sensible is this?? They can clearly get the return shipping from the seller! By the way, I contacted the seller & zero response. I also contacted Half Price Books, zero response there either. Just a form for me to print & fill out, & their list of restrictions.

It's AMAZON.COM for me from now on!

This review was modified by Darrowby on March 08 2016 07:08:59 PM

2016-02-10

Highway Robbery

"Never, ever ever, sell to these crooks ever! Look, I get it. You can't have a business that keeps shelling out cash to everyone that comes in, but at least be fair about it. I brought in 30 dvds/blu-rays/xbox games all in great condition, and figured, I'd at least get a buck for each. They offered me ELEVEN FREAKING DOLLARS! That is BEYOND insulting. They used to be fair, but now they just essentially want you to donate your stuff. Crooks!"

2015-12-19

"Ordered a cookbook and paid for 2-day shipping. They sent an email said it shipped. Provided NO tracking number. Five days later, no book. No response from the seller. Having a not so Merry Christmas. Thanks HPB. Won't be so stupid to do this again. "

This review was modified by rowentx on December 20 2015 07:10:31 AM

2015-12-04

"worse place ever will not sell them nothing again.18.00 for a 100 books said they were water damaged.i left the books except for 8 of them.i sold them for a 100.00 .really my thought on this is if you have to steal from me i will give you them,The books they got will be sold on their web site.Do not take books to them to sell.i could have donated every book to the kids in need.i have donated 500 books.no one was water damaged.they are theives."

2015-07-02

"Would never take anything to trade in to these guys ever again. Took about 15 VHS movies in and the guy says something along the lines of "Do you want to even trade these in? We can only give you about 15 cents." You kidding me? Okay I get these are older tapes but you're seriously going to give me only a penny each tape? Forget you guys. I think I'll find my old Madden disc and go trade that in at GameStop instead."

This review was modified by reb2380 on July 02 2015 08:53:59 PM

2014-09-22

"Don't ever buy books from this on-line store, especially Hippo Books !!! I bought 4 books that are in a series. I was promised delivery in 3-9 days. After 16 days, I began e-mailing them. After 22 days, I finally have been issued a refund for 1 of the 4 books. Rather than process the refund for the entire order, which would make sense, I guess they're going to REALLY make me work for my refund of more than $22. I can tell by each e-mail response that they are not even reading the question, but sending stock responses. I'm going to complain to the BBB about halfpricebooks.com & Hippo Books. "

This review was modified by kgrevoni on September 22 2014 07:38:00 PM

2014-09-18

"Terrible, I bought an $80 book and later found out that it was not the book i needed. Filed for return and mailed the book back. They send me an email saying that my return is denied. So now they have my money and the book and i am left in the dirt.

Thanks HPB!

This review was modified by ebobe123 on September 18 2014 03:46:22 PM

2014-08-31

"TERRIBLE customer svc..no response from direct seller or HPB. Order placed 8/17, shipped 8/19 and tomorrow is Sept 1st and I have no gotten my book yet and have not been able to reach ANYONE to help me."

2014-06-09

"I have bought a total of 12 books from HPB Marketplace. These are the online resellers of used books. Like an HPB ebay. 4 of the books took over two weeks to make it from Texas and California to Minnesota. Two of those sellers told me "Please don't write a bad review" or "Please don't give us a bad rating". I would but I can't! There's no link on HPB for rating sellers, no link in any invoice emails, no link in my account! What is up with that? Then I send an email to HPB about this.......two weeks later (maybe more).....no reply. Just sent another today....we'll see.
Also the shipping costs are bogus. I bought 8 $0.99 books, so $7.92. It was $3.99 shipping each book....$23.92?????????? I've actually been to a post office before, I know they don't think anyone in the US goes there anymore....BUT LISTEN UP RIPOFF ARTISTS!!!! WE DO!!! None of the books would cost more than $1.48 to ship. Why not just price the book at $3.99 and shipping at $0.99 instead of lying about the shipping cost? Is that what online purchasing has become? Making money of shipping instead of product? What a joke this joint is.

Funny thing is I have never seen a book in HPB for $0.99. I wish you could deal directly with the resellers.

This review was modified by riproaring on June 09 2014 10:04:18 PM

2014-04-24

"I was moving from a house to a tiny apartment and had to unload my massive manga collection quickly. I brought in 395 volumes of manga that were in AMAZING condition. They retail, depending on the kind, anywhere from $10 to $13 dollars.

After hauling 3 ridiculously heavy bins in and waiting for 45 minutes they only offered me $150 for all of them. I wasn’t expecting a lot for them but I was at least hoping for $1 a book. Didn’t even get that. I accepted the offer but I have massively regretted it ever since.

If you’re selling then I highly suggest using them as a last resort only.

2014-04-04

"Worst book buying experience ever! Promised ONLINE that all "supplemental and companion materials" were included, but the book came without the CD needed for homework! Plus, it was mailed in only an envelope, which tore and damaged the book, lowering resale value. They said I could return but I couldn't because there wasn't time to get another book. I emailed pix of damage and missing CD sleeve and asked for a partial refund which they refused! Horrible (nonexistent) customer service. LIARS! (Order through Valore)I would give them ZERO stars if I could. They don't deserve one."

This review was modified by enufff on April 04 2014 03:58:05 PM

2014-02-06

"Worse service I've ever had. Been waiting for a book for almost a month now, I have been calling hpb for the entire week to see where is my book or get a refund and so far nothing, today one person calls me to tell me the book is at my local postal office, they tell me USPS is lying and the book is there (since I've already called and postal office agent says they never received it). Tried Fedex they say book wasn't delivered, I ask for the address they have and the agent says there is no apt number but clearly there is one on my receipt. 40 minutes later "Christopher" from hpb calls me says books is being returned to them, I ask why just to see what he is going to say and guess what? He says they tried to deliver it but there was no one to claim (just another lie? Never got any notification, how could they notify the recipient if there's no apt number on address?) worse, worse, worse now what are they going to do? NOTHING they don't have another book to ship. can reimburse me and that's all. My $3000 class I will need to pay for even if I fail because of them. Not to mention them saying they'd be calling me. e-mailing me with information on it and never doing it. This has caused me so much stress since I had to take a test without my readings."

This review was modified by jurs2014 on February 06 2014 07:02:57 AM

2013-11-11

"I agree with all of the other reviews about selling my books to them. I took in 5 boxes of books - all current bestseller hardback books and got $46 for about 150 books. It is a total rip-off and not worth your time or gas money. Next time I will donate them."

This review was modified by Frrancien512 on November 11 2013 03:20:18 PM

2013-08-14

"Half Price Books does have a large selection of books and good prices but NEVER sell to them . I had brought in 31 magazines , 12 novels , 20 picture books and 5 movies , they gave me $6.50 . They try to rip people off . So , I don't suggest giving them anything ."

This review was modified by KingdomHearts on August 14 2013 10:16:39 AM

2013-06-19

"Half Price Books works well until the system breaks down. Then, they disown their involvement by saying that once the item leaves their seller, there's nothing that can be done if it is lost. This is a disappointment because our first interactions with them were satisfactory. Now, a textbook for which we've paid has disappeared and neither HPB, nor the seller, nor the post office knows where it is. We are out the money, with no recourse, despite having made many attempts to contact each of the people involved. Don't buy anything from HPB unless you are sure that you can forfeit the money. Also, don't depend on their computer system to accurately update any information changes, like an address change, because it won't. That's how this loss began."

This review was modified by cesmart on June 19 2013 09:54:18 AM

Share Half Price Books's store rating

Half Price Books is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Half Price Books is not a merchant member
Half Price Books does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!