Gateway Reviews - gateway.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

Rating 0.67/10 128 reviews

Gateway is not a merchant member
Gateway does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!

"Worst Brand ever!!! Purchased my Gateway laptop model NE56R in November 2012. Summer 2013 came by and by June my screen all of a sudden had a small internal wriggly line on the right hand side, the next day I had a flashing blue screen. Called customer service whom told me I had to send it in to their repair center for diagnostics. Received a call back from diagnostics dept. who was accusing me of breaking the screen when my laptop does not even move from my Table. it's a simple flip up and flip it back down. Customer service wanted to charge me $300 to fix the screen, I had to dispute and tell them to have a manager call me. Manager called me back and unfortunately had to pay $175 just to fix the screen. Now I have a dotted line going across the middle of the screen and it's only been 4 months since they fixed it. NEVER BUY GATEWAY!!! Wish I had looked up the reviews before purchasing."

modified review This review was modified by Jaxlo on October 04 2013 08:09:06 PM

"NE56R34u 15.6-Inch Laptop -
It worked well for a few days, but then began shutting down at random times. I made sure all the power settings said never to shut down automatically. Gateway support suggested resetting the BIOS, which I did, but that didn't solve it. I had to send it back to them (and I paid the shipping, even though it failed after only a week!) They sent it back a week later, and the problem just occurred again yesterday (two weeks after we got it back.) I'm calling this a lemon.

After sending it back TWICE, the problem persists. Gateway refuses to refund or replace, even though the second time it was in for a repair they couldn't reproduce the problem. Amazon says that my window of opportunity to return the item expired. (Hey, I've been trying to get it repaired!!)

I'll never buy another Gateway.

modified review This review was modified by WhoTom on September 15 2013 09:42:30 AM

"Gateway as others have said on here has the worst customer service I have experienced. About two years ago I bought a Gateway netbook through HSN. The netbook worked fine at first but after several months that is when the problems started happening. This is where the story begins to take a turn with me having to deal with their horrid customer service. The first problem is with there automated voice system. The system asks that you recite some number that is located on the bottom of the computer, It seems that no matter how clearly you speak the voice systems seems unable to recognize your voice and it takes several times before it gets the number correct. The second problem is with their tech support people when you finally able to connect to a real person you usually fine that you will be talking to some person in India that at lot of time although nice is hard to understand. The third problem as I said before is the fact that you have to spend a great deal of time navigating through their useless voice mail system before you can talk to a real person. Another problem with them is the fact that they seem to make crappy cheap products that are of poor quality. In the two years that I have had my computer I have had to send my computer in for repair so many times I lost track. Never once during the times that I have had to send it back have they ever offered to simply just replace my computer with a new one. Another problem is that shortly before the warranty was set to expire for my computer then began to agressively harras me to try and get me to extend my warranty. Becuase as I stated earlier since I had to send the computer back several times which would add up to a lot of time that I was unable to use the computer and since they refused to send me a new one I came to the conclusion that they should at least extend my warranty which they finnaly did. But they did not do this until after they first gave me the run around and passed me from person to person which took a great deal of my time. I will never buy another Gateway Computer ever again"

modified review This review was modified by chicagokid36 on August 30 2013 10:58:37 AM

"First off, it is no coincidence that Gateway Review Forums are absolutely loaded with terrible reviews. That should be noted by anyone reading this, and passed on accordingly. I'm a fairly reasonable guy, and I can confidently say that the customer service I recently received from Gateway has undoubtedly been the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Similar to many other reviews on these forums, my issue with Gateway involved their warranty, the repair center, and Gateway's failure to act with even the slightest amount of integrity during the entire process. I'm not even a classic reviewer - I haven't written one in years. I've been pissed off and tempted plenty of times, but I'll usually just let it go. This situation with Gateway, however, is just so absolutely horrendous, that I am left with no choice but to do my part in spreading the word on the pathetic excuse for a company that is Gateway.

I bought my Gateway PC (Windows 8) on May 21st, 2013. Not 2 months later, I cannot install Windows Updates without an immediate freeze, cannot shut down the computer, cannot restart, reset, refresh to factory settings, system restore - nothing. The hardware is busted. So I call up Gateway and after basic troubleshooting attempts, they advise me to send it in for repair under my 1-year Limited Warranty. After a long discussion, they tell me to ship it out to them in Texas to the Acer Repair Center. I was foolish enough to not consider the shipping cost, which was ~$40.00, until after the fact. That night, I call up Gateway requesting a refund on the $40.00 - reasoning that I just bought the computer two months ago and should not be responsible to pay for the shipment out to them - and they tell me they won't do it. So that pissed me off, but I had other things going on - and I let it slide.

Two weeks later (yesterday), my computer arrives back from the Acer/Gateway Repair Center. Very excited, I open it up and plug it in. Had I read these other reviews, I would have already known what was about to happen. I turn it on - and this is 100% accurate - within 30 seconds, I realize that every single problem with the PC remained unfixed. I literally couldn't even believe it, so I tried a couple of things with the hopes that it was just rusty. Negative. Gateway had sent me back my PC, two weeks later, in the same defective condition it went out. Not a single defect was fixed. So I call Gateway. My biggest issue was not that it remained defective (although that obviously pissed me off quite a bit), but that it took me one attempt to plainly see that the computer was not fixed. I logged on, did a quick check, and immediately noticed. What does that say about Gateway's technicians, let alone Gateway's level of care for their customers? After 30 minutes or so of back and forth, I make my way to the "highest" level of customer service that exists at Gateway - the corporate section. Needless to say, the conversation was highly unsatisfactory. I wish I had recorded the phone call so I could post it right here with my review. The customer service at this level wasn't just horrendous, it was virtually non-existent. At the end of the long, fruitless conversation I had with that robot, the best Gateway was willing to offer me was a 30-day extension on my warranty (10 months away). And she couldn't tell me enough how great of a courtesy I was receiving from Gateway. I was so appalled by this suggestion that I refused it, and don't regret doing so. Despite me explaining that I bought the computer two months ago, paid $40 to ship it out there, and patiently waited two weeks for its return only to find it in the same condition in which I sent it out - there was nothing Gateway would do to rectify the situation. So that was that. My computer is currently on its way back to Texas, likely to return defective for a second time. In the literal sense of the word, it is truly unbelievable that a company of this size could possibly be so devoid of integrity.

I think it's safe to say that I wish you stay far away from Gateway products, both for my, and your, personal well-being. At least until they get their act together, which doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon. For one, based on my, and everyone else's recent experience with Gateway, their computers seem to be very poorly manufactured. Every other review you find on Gateway mentions continuous failures in their PC/Laptop. Second, when your computer does inevitably malfunction, you will have no choice but to ship it out to Gateway's Repair Center. Who knows what those numbskulls even do over there, but if we're going off of these reviews, they certainly aren't doing their job. And third, every single time you have even the slightest issue with your computer, you have to deal with this disgrace of a customer service process. I remain stunned from the entire experience and my subsequent discovery of all these other reviews. I advise anyone considering purchasing a Gateway product to think twice, and even three times, before doing so. They simply cannot be trusted right now.

I let the Gateway corporate team know before I got off the phone that I would spread word of my experience with them, and that is what I must do. Take these words, and spread them.

- Buzz Funksteen

modified review This review was modified by BuzzFunksteen on August 01 2013 06:14:18 PM

"0 out of 5 rating
I wish I'd read these reviews before purchasing a new Gateway desktop. Trouble from day 1. Have faxed proof of purchase, emailed proof of purchase several times, talked with cust service by phone, 2 online chats and today a message straight to corporate...at least I hope thats where it went. I should have stuck with HP...I will never buy a Gateway/Acer again. I'm an author so have plenty followers. I'm going to make sure nobody I know ever buys their product. My next book title will be; Never buy a Gateway/Acer product. I would appreciate it if all of you would let me use your reviews in my book. email me at marycollins409@gmail.com We'll get our revenge...lol

modified review This review was modified by Mary-H-Collins on March 25 2013 06:24:41 PM

"I bought a Gateway notebook NV55C for myself two years back, and within the first 3 months of having it, it started crashing. It would overheat and then suddenly shut off all in 2 hours of it running. This continued for another 10 months until it abruptly stopped around February of 2012. Now, in December, it has started up again, and I can't stand it... It happens so frequently now that I have had to start putting an ice pack (along with the fan that I have had since the begining) underneath it to keep it from overheating. If this continues to happen I'm afraid that the screen will soon have a big hole in it the shape of my fist...

NEVER BUY FROM GATEWAY.

EVER.

"I bought a brand new Gateway laptop from BestBuy and about a week after the warranty ran out the motherboard died. It would cost more to replace the motherboard than what I paid for the laptop. Do NOT purchase a Gateway - they are the lowest end laptop ever and you WILL be dissappointed. My buddy had the graphics card, which is attached to the motherboard die, shortly after he purchased it, too. These notebooks are JUNK! Stay away!!"

"I have been extremely disappointed with the tech support and customer service provided by Gateway. My laptop has had a known issue with interference on the audio channel, but it has never been fixed. When I asked if there were any suggested solutions, the technician suggested I perform a system recovery, despite the fact that this problem has existed since the machine was first purchased. The only other suggestion from the technician was to pay nearly half the purchase price of the machine to send it in for repair.

I will choose a laptop from a company that provides better service in the future, even if the price is higher.

"I bought a used Gateway laptop recently for my birthday. It was low on memory, so I deleted a whole bunch of stuff and now it runs perfectly fine. Gateway is a good brand for school students. Yet, I have not spoken to Gateway tech support, so I wouldn't know whether they are friendly or not. But I personally would choose Gateway because it is a good brand, and there is nothing wrong with MY Gateway laptop. It works perfectly fine. And I would also personally would NOT choose HP because they are a bad and they don't work right. Gateway is also cheaper which helps people who have money issues. Even though Gateway laptops might run slowly at times, they are worth the wait because they don't stay slow for long. Gateway is a wonderful choice for all who need an affordable, efficient laptop."

"gateway and those who sell them are total scum. Bought 2 desktops, paid top dollar for 3 years of extended warantee, then the problems began. Somehow after 2 weeks on the phone, I had to pay to send them to somewhere in Austin. :"Fixed" says them, sent it back at further cost to me. Then returned with an infected harddrive, one that kept saying "your windows is not genuine". This was right out of the box from the so called repair. Next, they updated their system to accept calls from only customers that had an 11 digit SNID, and mine has a 10 digit serial number. Nifty way to screw your customers, cut them off from support, or even the ability to call for support after they spent over 300 dollars for support. 40 emails later to "steve" in India, they finally acknowledged my 10 number serial number will not work. The next email they started all over, "tell us your problem" etc. This went on for months, clearly they were not going to fix anything. Any one who sells this filth should be brought up on charges. "

"Gateway SUCKS big time! I paid $1700 for this gaming desktop FX6800-01E POS with the 3 year warranty, taxes, etc. It's been in repair twice in less than 2 years! After a year the Power Supply had to be replaced, 6 months later the Hard Drive and Video Card had to be replaced by Gateway. Inconvenient too because you bring it to Best Buy and they ship it out to the repair center in California! I just got it back after the 2nd repair and guess what? It STILL won't boot! I have the same error message it had when I brought it in for repair. Now they are saying I have to buy recovery disks for the unit...they didn't back up ANYTHING. THIS IS MY 1ST AND LAST GATEWAY, WHAT A POS!"

"Gateway is just a ripoff from the get go. If you want support from them ,you would be better off talking to a light pole!!"

mdbassman's Avatar
Maryland

"I have bought 5 computers from Gateway over 10 years. All arrive fine but some still needed Tech Support and 3 came with constant motherboard problems.
I had purchased "Extended-In Home" warrantys with every one.
They are worthless!!! These people scammed me out of over $500 for "pay to play" tech support when I had BNIB computer that came defective!!!! The support I had paid for "in-home" I had to repay for on-line and not only would GW NOT send out a tech, they coulnot even fi the RAID drive problem on line!! They are jerks!! and scammers.
They are a scam artist extrodinaire!!!

Get a good computer and go Puget Systems.
Never will recommend or buy another Gateway product!
As a business man I have removed ALL GW equipment and purchased Macs or Puget systems eqpt.

modified review This review was modified by mdbassman on January 23 2011 01:26:51 PM

"I purchased a Gateway laptop on December 26,2009 from a local computer chain (the Order Number I provided is their invoice number). At the time of purchase I was informed that Gateway would provide a free upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista that was installed on the machine. I was told that when I visited the Gateway site and registered I could get the upgrade. My daughter has the computer and attends school several hundred miles away, so it was not until March 26th that I was able to register with Gateway and request the upgrade. I was then told that I would not be able to get the upgrade as the deadline for application for it was February 15th, and I had missed the deadline. At no time was I ever informed that there was any deadline to adhere to in order to get the upgrade. I argued the point, and spoke to several supervisors but was not provided the upgrade. This company has terrible customer service and can not be relied upon. Don't deal with them. I'm now one of their many dissatisfied customers - check their ratings here, which I should have done before. Stay away."

"You all will soon realize that Gateway is not customer service focused. After spending 1 hour and 13 minutes on the phone I reached the highest level for customer contact. You all will find, its the 3rd level. So after going through Steve(each customer service mail is a man of Indian decent named Steve) he finally passed me onto Benny. Benny was very helpful and quickly passed me onto Tim.

Tim was the the gentlemen at level 3. He told me that all he could do was provide shipping to thier repair center for my veryyy slow processor which was purchased less then 5 months ago. And as many of you all understand, going without a computer is not an option for work, even if it it to be repaired. After asking him what he would recommend I should do next time, he advised me to buy a small back-up computer for times like this. I was rather shocked that I was told to buy another computer to back up mine which was less then 6 months old. They will not provide a temporary, express service on repair, or a new unit.

After being on the phone for 1 hour 26 minutes, I was told there is no way to contact any other level and no way of assuring my complaint with the policy would be viewed. He simply told me that this was the only option and he then later disconnected our call a few minutes later.

Our family has always been a fan of Gateway products and their affordability. Unfortunately, when faced with a problem the customer service policy of Gateway is not to help re-occurring customers. After this we will unfortunately have to more to another product line such as Dell or Apple because for us it is not realistic to by an alternate computer to backup your existing/new Gateway.

Sorry Gateway but you just lost a lot of future products.