Expedia Coupons
  • Rating 3.00/10 17 reviews

Expedia is not a merchant member
    Expedia does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • Expedia contact information

Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

"On October 9th, 2013 I booked a flight to CO to visit my new grandson scheduled for Jan 23rd, 2014. After several changes on this flight I arrived at airport for my scheduled flight at 7 am but was told my airline that my whole trip had been cancelled due to a connecting flight being cancelled. I was not notified by Expedia or airline regarding this change and I had to purchase a new ticket to get another flight for that afternoon at a much higher price. My previous seat had been sold and flight was full. Second flight only had a few seats left. When I notified Expedia, they gave me no help putting the blame on the airline. I am still trying to get original ticket refunded. I will never use Expedia again. When there is a problem, they don't help their customer...."

modified review This review was modified by dbennet2 on February 05 2014 02:10:12 PM

"I book a trip through expedia on 01/19/2014 at 5 pm...
On 01/23/2014 at 1:30 am , I HAD DISCOVERED THAT THE EXaCT SAME TRIP HAD BEEN REDUCED BY $500... Expedia and their supervisors would do nothing for me. I WILL NEVER USE EXPEDIA AGAIN !!!

modified review This review was modified by rich.fitzwell on January 22 2014 11:42:51 PM

"Expedia is a worthless website. I made a reservation for a hotel and my event date changed. I called the hotel to change the date but they said since it was booked through expedia they told me I had to contact expedia. I contacted expedia and they were less than helpful. They told me I bought a non refundable room and the date could not be changed. They said it was non refundable due to the low rate. I checked the hotels website and they had the same price as I paid on expedia and I could cancel the room with notice. Expedia has terrible customer service and they provide no real service."

"I can't get enough of this site. I don't plan any trip without it. I always get great rates on everything. I try to road trip it whenever I can, but when I do decide to fly, there's no way I'd buy directly from the airlines. Expedia is always cheaper.

On top of it all, whenever I book a motel room, the motel gets almost automatic confirmation. I've extended my stay FROM my motel room on Expedia... 5 minutes before checkout... and didn't have a problem. Love it!

"I made a hotel reservation on expedia.com. It was a double charge posted on my credit card for the hotel stay. I contacted Expedia customer service, but they refused to fix the problem and advised me to call the hotel myself (which is in Turkey). TERRIBLE SERVICE!"

"Have used Expedia a bunch of times. First time booking a package (flight and hotel together) - booked a flight first and they upsold me a hotel room at Newport Beach and I got a nice discount for booking together. Checked into the hotel and no problems & a nice room. "

zeta's Avatar
Arizona, US

"The mobile site was simple to use and quick. I booked it and apparently you need to give them 15 minutes before heading there so it appears in their system. That was the only problem I encountered with them."

"I used Expedia to book flights for my honeymoon. A month and a half later, I received an email that my flights had been changed and that I needed to contact Expedia. The first time I called them, I was at work - I thought a quick call could resolve the problem, but I spent 10 minutes on hold waiting to talk to someone, who then put me on hold for a further 10 minutes. I finally had to hang up because I couldn't neglect my responsibilities at work any longer. The second time I called, I spent at least 20 minutes on hold just waiting to speak to someone. I'm baffled as to why they couldn't take the initiative to contact me, which could've saved me over 30 minutes of waiting on hold. Once I finally managed to speak with someone, I was told that my flight time had been changed by more than 11 hours. I was given two options - request a full refund (and then have to pay full price on a new reservation, which was now considerably more expensive), or accept another less-than-ideal flight at no discount. I grudgingly accepted another flight, then spent well over an hour on hold (again) just waiting for a confirmation that everything had been changed and that my soon to be wife and I would still be able to sit together on the plane. Once everything was finally confirmed, I voiced my displeasure at Expedia's handling of the entire situation. The representative offered a $50 Expedia voucher, but didn't send it to me or explain how to find/redeem it. In short, I spent two hours on the phone attempting to resolve something that should've already been taken care of, I got stuck with a flight that I didn't want, I lost several hours of my honeymoon due to the later flight, and all they offered in compensation was a $50 credit to spend on another Expedia reservation (which doesn't even cover half of the cost of a hotel stay). To add insult to injury, when they sent my new itinerary, it was addressed "Dear _____" - they didn't even bother to type my name into the email. If I ever get my $50 credit, I'm going to sell it to someone else, as I never intend to use the company for anything ever again. "

"First of all, Expedia and Hotels.com are one and the same so if you have had awful CS with one, it will be the same with the other.  (I just wrote a review of a recent experience with Hotels.com CS and believe me, they are just as bad.)

In late July 2011, I booked a 4-night hotel reservation on the Expedia website using a promotion on Facebook, which would entitle me to a $100 or $150 (don't remember exact $ amount) prepaid Visa a couple months after I completed my stay.  After making my booking, I realized that I needed to shorten it to 3 nights, which I could only do over the phone.  I called Expedia and the CSR changed my booking.  i asked her if this would affect my Facebook promotion and she said that with a 3-night stay, I qualified for only a $50 prepaid card, but otherwise, my promotion was still intact.  I asked her if she were sure and she said yes, and while we're at it, please give me the mailing address to which you would like the card to be sent.  It sounded like she knew what she was doing so I gave her my mailing address and thought everything was fine.  Actually, I had had multiple bad experiences with Expedia CSRs promising things that don't happen, so I would have just booked through another company in the first place, but for whatever reason, Expedia was the only website that had all of my dates available.  And secondly, I would have just cancelled then rebooked the reservation on Expedia.com to make sure I still got the FB promotion, but the availability at this hotel for my dates were really limited and I was afraid of losing the reservation if I tried this.

Fast forward 2 months, no card, so I call Expedia to check its status.  CSR tells me he's not sure why I didn't get a card, but there wasn't anything he could do for me other than a $50 credit on my Expedia account.  I'm not happy about this because I doubt I'll use Expedia again and ask to speak with a supervisor.  The supervisor tells me that by changing my reservation, my original 4-night booking was cancelled (FB promotion cancelled with it), then a new 3-night booking made. Obviously I had no idea this took place and secondly, the original CSR assured me that I would still get the promotion! The supervisor then went on to tell me that the CSR I had just spoken with made a mistake, that he did NOT have the authority to give me a $50 account credit.  Ultimately, the supervisor said there was NOTHING she could do for me, as a matter of policy, that I could escalate to Corporate, but that I could not call them directly, she would have to stay on the line with me or call me back once she got connected to Corporate.  After waiting 20 minutes, she said it would be better if she called me back once Corporate got on the line, so we hung up, but guess what?  She never called me back!

Final Venting/Some Advice (same as my Hotels.com rant, as they are the same company):
- It's best to stay away from these companies, but if for some reason, you feel like you HAVE TO book through Hotels/Expedia, e.g., they are the only ones with your dates available, know that the after-care will be the opposite of care.
- it's happened to me no less than 4 times that a CSR will offer me a credit on my Expedia account, or a statement credit, and it will not go through. As explained above, CSRs do not have this authority/discretion and after the CSR inputs it, it will simply disappear.  What is strange is that CSRs Keep Doing This!  And even if you have incontrovertible proof, such as an email confirming the credit, Hotels/Expedia will NOT honor their employees' promises.  Escalating does not work.  Bottom line is that it is probably a waste of your time to get an "I'm sorry" credit on your Hotels/Expedia account, and if you are offered a statement credit, get WRITTEN PROOF.  At least this way, you can file a dispute with your CC company, but be sure you do so within their time limits.
- Hotels/Expedia's after-care CS is overseas and poorly trained.  I am not saying all overseas CS is bad, I've dealt with many professional and nice ones, but Hotels/Expedia's is by far the worst.  When you get upset and frustrated with an American CSR, oftentimes they empathize and sometimes go above and beyond to help you.  Even if they can't help you, having a sympathetic voice on the other end does wonders.  When I have gotten upset with Hotels/Expedia's CSR on the line, they are like emotionless robots, reading off a script, and sometimes have gotten downright nasty, trying to make the situation seem like my fault, even yelling at me!  I have NEVER been yelled at by a CSR EXCEPT FROM Hotels/Expedia.  Many companies use overseas CSRs, but in my experience, eventually, you can escalate to an American CSR who is better-trained and has the authority to help you.  This is NOT the case with Hotels/Expedia.
- Bottom line is as a matter of principle, it's best to stay away from Hotels.com/Expedia because their customer care policy is the worst you will experience and bad behavior should not be rewarded.

Planatoid's Avatar
New York; not the city

"Booked a trip to Italy with my dad through Expedia.com. The first issue I had was coordinating our flights, as we both had different origins. I tried to explain to a customer service person how I wanted to schedule the trip originating from two airports but meeting on the east coast for the flight to Rome. They couldn't quite understand that, so I ended up having to book two separate trips. Luckily we were still able to sit next to each other on the way over, but not on the way back. I got a seemingly good deal on the hotel for Venice, it was much cheaper than some competitors. Overall, the trip went through without a hitch and Expedia definitely performed. I will be using Expedia again...if they have the best price, of course."

"I SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THIS WEBSITE AND THESE LOW-RATING REVIEWS BEFORE BOOKING TICKET.

Because the same thing happen to me. They had a very nice price on the website, but you had better take the following items into account:
1) the time and money you might spend in the endless loop of customer service line.
2) the pleasure of a vacation that is taken by their horrible service
3) the frustration because of being fooled
...
...

I had nothing to say, just hope this review can be helpful to someone planning a trip or vacation so that they won't invest their money and "supposed-to-have" happiness on a irresponsible and lousy company.

"I had the worst experience with EXPEDIA.COM ever and do not recommend you use this service.
Sure, if everything goes through well it's fine but when customers have a problem; don't expect them to take care of their customers.

I had booked a room in Planet Hollywood @ Vegas for two nights Saturday and Sunday.
I decided to go Friday and Saturday instead so I called Expedia and asked the customer rep to cancel only Sunday night.
It took me 20-30 min to clarify what I was trying to do because she barely understood what I was saying.
After going back and forth trying to contact the hotel with 10 min waits in between, she comes back and tells me that my SUNDAY NIGHT HAS BEEN CANCELED.
I knew she had a hard time understanding me so I even made her repeat it 3 times. I asked her.. so I STILL HAVE SATURDAY NIGHT, and ONLY SUNDAY HAS BEEN CANCELED. Her response: "That is correct sir, I have cancelled one night for you."

So Vegas trip comes. I go to PH and tell them I have a reservation on Saturday and request a walk in checkin on Friday to see if I can get the same room. They go into their computer to check for my reservation and THE ENTIRE RESERVATION GOT CANCELED. After talking to the supervisor at PH for a while, they said I have to go through expedia since it was booked through a third party. I call expedia and they tell me I need to call back in a few hours because they can't pull up reservations due to system updates! The rep told me there is absolutely nothing they can do at the moment. I hung up and just checked in Friday night and decided to give them a call tomorrow.

The next day, I checked with PH and asked how much it would be to extend my stay an extra night (saturday night since Expedia f'ed up my reservation), they told me $500 so I definetly had to call them up and get this fixed. The first rep had no idea what I was trying to explain to him, he just kept say "I'm sorry for the inconvenience sir" so I asked to get transfer to a supervisor. So I get transfered to a guy named Enzon who was a complete dick on the phone. His answering of the phone was "what is the problem sir" I explained the situation to him, how Expedia messed up by cancelling BOTH my reservations instead of one night and all he could say was "well it shows here sir that you have requested to cancel the entire reservation" I repeated over and over again how I DID NOT CANCEL THE ENTIRE RESERVATION, and his response OVER and OVER again was "well it shows here sir that you have requested to cancel the entire reservation" like a god damn recording.
Then he suggested/mocked and said, if you really want to stay their so bad why don't you walk in and do a walk-in reservation. I told him it's the principle of the matter! so he says "there's nothing I can do it shows here sir that you have requested to cancel the entire reservation" I told him it was $500 to stay a room, and the proper thing for any big company to do would be to at least reimburse for the difference since it was their mistake. (Same response from him) ...

I ask to speak to his manager, and he tells me managers don't take phone calls. After pushing a bit more, he says he will try and puts me on hold for like 10-15 min (which I'm sure is bS and he's not even trying to get a hold of the manager). He comes back and says there's no point because the manager will probably tell you the same thing I'm telling you and offers me $100 Expedia Gift card for my troubles. At this point he's completley useless and I'm completley pissed. $100 would not cover the difference since I booked the room for $139 ! So I hang up.

So. . F' Expedia. I will never use them again. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

"Booked and paid for four flight tickets to Hawaii months in advance, a total of over $5500. Flight got canceled. We booked (and paid) for replacement and had them request a refund from the airline. Were told that that could take up to two months, which in itself is ridiculous. Checked back after a month, got some boilerplate reply. Checked back after two months only to learn that they had not submitted the refund to the airline and that I have to wait another 60-90 days. I am now being on hold to speak to a supervisor - have been holding for twenty minutes. I am being ripped off!"

"I booked a hotel for a college reunion thru Expedia. My friend called the same hotel and was told they were sold out for the reunion dates. A bit concerned, I called the hotel and asked what the deal was. The nice person at the hotel was honest enough to tell me that they were overbooked, there was a mistake and the hotel was not supposed to be open for on-line booking. He said that they would honor the reservation but last two guests for that day would be sent to an affiliated hotel about 1 mile away.

So I decided to cancel the reservation rather than risk being moved to the other hotel. I would rather have a guaranteed room. I cancelled with Expedia, which charged me a $25 cancellation fee. When I called Expedia to ask that the charge be waived – because the reservation was really not guaranteed – they told me all they could offer was a $25 coupon. The Expedia representative told me she “could not” refund my $25.

So be forewarned that Expedia will charge you $25 for cancelling reservations even when they cannot be guaranteed. Very unhappy with Expedia.

"I have booked many trips on expedia before and luckily never encountered any problem so far.
I booked a hotel recently through expedia but I did not like the hotel so when I tried leave a negetive feedback on expedia about the hotel, it did not let me leave the feedback saying that the system cannot accept the feedback at that time.