Stores > Expedia

Product & services pricing Rating 1.43/10 1.43/10

2016-03-22

An Open Letter To Expedia

"Dear Expedia.com,

I've been a customer/user of yours for a good number of years now. Recently, however, I experienced an encounter with your Customer Service Team that has left a very sour taste in my mouth, an encounter that will probably keep me from using your services ever again, unfortunately.

My wife and I recently took a trip to Europe to celebrate our honeymoon. We booked our tickets to Paris, our hotel in Paris and our flight back to the US all through Expedia.com. While in Europe, we traveled around to a few different countries, specifically the UK and Italy.

When planning our honeymoon, we had originally thought to fly from London to Venice, staying a few days in each city. However, when trying to book plane tickets through Expedia.com to Venice, the website wouldn't work. It took us to an error page whenever we tried to buy the plane tickets. So, we adjusted our plans and bought tickets through Expedia.com to Florence (from London) instead of to Venice. The website worked for us this time around and we received a confirmation email from Expedia.com shortly after purchasing the Florence tickets.

Now, fast forward to our last night in London on our honeymoon (March 12). That night, we received an email from Expedia.com notifying/reminding us of our upcoming trip to Florence the next day. We ALSO received an email from Expedia.com notifying/reminding us of our trip to Venice! This was news to us! This was the first time ever hearing anything about Venice after our initial failed attempt to purchase tickets through Expedia.com, for which we did not get a confirmation page on the website nor did we receive a confirmation email like we did for the tickets to Florence. So, as far as we were concerned, we never purchased tickets to Venice.

We made a very expensive call to Expedia.com Customer Service from London to try to remedy the error. We spoke to a Representative who admitted to the error on Expedia's end, but would not refund us anything, citing company policy. When I asked to speak to a Supervisor, the Representation refused to let me do so. I flat out asked, "So, you're refusing to let me speak to your supervisor?" To which the Representative responded, "Yes." That alone was enough to ruffle my feathers. I ended the call then since it was clear I was getting no where with this Representative.

I emailed my father in Ohio, asking him to help since I couldn't afford another pricey international phone call. I gave him all the information I had and asked him to call Expedia.com on my behalf. He did so and ran into the same opposition I did earlier. However, he was a bit more forceful and eventually was transferred to a Supervisor. Then, after some more conversation, my father was transferred to that Supervisor's Supervisor. Please note that this whole time on the phone my father was being told again and again that there was nothing Expedia.com could do EVEN THOUGH IT WAS YOUR FAULT.

So, after 4.5 hours on the phone with Customer Service, Expedia.com finally agreed to give me a full refund. The Customer Service Team, after exploring it further, agreed that the error was due to their website and that we were right in asking for a refund - something we had been trying to tell them this whole time! I am pleased with the outcome but completely appalled by the path to that outcome. A customer should be taken seriously and listened to. I was not treated this way. Also, this matter should not have taken 4.5 hours to resolve. That is time that my father will not get back and time that should not have been taken from him. This experience also put a lot of stress on our honeymoon, a time that should have been relaxing and enjoyable for me and my wife.

When all was said and done, we were very disappointed in Expedia.com. We still are. I doubt we will ever use Expedia.com again and will discourage our friends and family from using it, too, citing this negative experience as a reason why. I hope you take this email seriously and implement changes to your Customer Service Team as a result. Maybe allow Representatives to make more decisions on the front line or encourage Representatives to allow customers to speak to Supervisors, not purposefully denying customers when they ask. No one else should have to suffer through what we suffered through to get a refund for an error caused by Expedia.com.

Sincerely,
Ben

This review was modified by benny192189 on March 22 2016 06:24:08 AM

2016-03-09

Beware -- Awful customer experience and glitchy reservation system will cost you

"I canceled a hotel booking, never got a confirmation number or another email about. When I checked my account there was no record. I spoke to customer service and was told the cause of this was a glitch. No reminder emails were sent for this booking. No check in status emails were sent for this booking. The supervisor of the call center whom I talked to on 3/9/2016 at 10 am CT agreed that Expedia offers an inconstant level of customer service in these matters. Overall I am super frustrated with Expedia and will frankly never use them to book another trip. Sad that a years-long relationship has come down to a customer support team being unable to make things right despite admitting fault."

This review was modified by beattrane on March 09 2016 08:26:22 AM

2016-02-22

Expedia stole $227 from me

"Expedia claims they provided the service of booking me a hotel room.

The hotel I booked a room through Expedia with NEVER PROVIDED THE SERVICE.

Consequently, both the hotel are off the hook and Expedia washes their hands of it because they claim the service of booking a room was worth $227. No accountability whatsoever.

DISGUSTING COMPANY. FRAUDULENT.

This review was modified by eleetoburrito on February 22 2016 09:44:50 PM

2016-02-21

Poor service

"Went to book a roundtrip flight for 4/24 on Expedia.com.
When got to checkout, the button wouldn't work. Called customer service for help (only took 10 minutes to find number.) When finally got through, said hold time would be 4 minutes. 45 minutes later and no one has picked up. Finally gave up. Absolutely pathetic "customer service."

This review was modified by ddarlingov on February 21 2016 09:34:43 AM

2016-02-16

Do not use Expedia.com

"On February 16 2016 I purchased 5 tickets from NYC to CANCUN for Aug 20-Sep 3 for great price $1794. Next thing I booked 2 hotels for that time. After 10 hours receive the call from Expedia telling me that the tickets are not available no more and the got another one for a twice as much. SHAME ON YOU GUYS. I make sure that me and my friends do not use Expedia.com"

This review was modified by Mariusz1976 on February 16 2016 05:17:03 PM

2016-02-16

Terrible terrible no good customer service

"Worst customer service I've ever received. Booked my trip, reservation was lost and I've spent 6 hours on the phone with this multimillion dollar company with no hope of refunds or credit. Hung up on by first manager I spoke with."

This review was modified by mikaylako on February 16 2016 12:20:41 PM

2015-12-21

"I will NEVER use Expedia again. I bought a flight from Quito to the Galapagos for $168, which I thought was a great deal. When I was about to leave the Galapagos, LAN charged me ANOTHER $168 to leave because Expedia sold me a ticket that was only for Ecuadorian citizens. LAN's tickets clearly say on their website that the tickets at that price are only for Ecuadorian citizens, but NO WHERE on Expedia's site when buying the tickets does it say that only Ecuadorian's can buy them. Therefore I was stranded and had to PAY DOUBLE to leave. I could not afford to go at the more expensive price and would have not have gone if I had known. Expedia will not help me out at all and claims it is an "additional fee" from the airline, however Expedia sold and American citizen, unknown to me, a ticket only Ecuadorian's can buy and I had to pay out of pocket. This is absolutely ridiculous. DO NOT BUY FROM EXPEDIA!"

This review was modified by klj5143 on December 21 2015 06:22:41 PM

2015-10-25

"I was trying to book two tickets from Shanghai to Taipei, for 4 hours, the website keeping has error message as "we can't process your booking, please try again", I tried for a few hours, still doesn't work. so, I decided to call expedia.com at 1-800 319-4834 (10/25/15 @ 3:23pm), first a guy pick up my phone, tried to book the ticket for me, it still doesn't work, he then cut off the phone. I call again at 1 - 800 - 397 3342 (10/25/15 @4:46), a lady, her name is Princess, she tried to book the ticket for me, it doesn't work, she then told me that my credit card been declined, asked me for another card, I gave her my american express, still she can't book the ticket, she asked me for a third card. at the same time, i checked my base card, and talk to the Chase card customer service, my card has been charged $14 for seven times, and my American express has been charge $1 twice, $14 once. she still could not book the ticket for me, she then transfer my call to a Customer servicer lady, that lady, hang up my phone, because she could not resolve the problem. I called third time to expedia.com at 1 800 397 3342 (10/25/15, 5:09pm), a gentleman told me that their booking system has problem. this is the only time, Expedia.com admit that their system has problem, instead of told me my credit cards have problems.

I have been wasted more than 5 hours of my Sunday afternoon, trying to book a ticket thru Expedia.com, and it is absloute a nightmare!!!

2015-09-29

"Price Match Policy is a lie and just lures in customers, yet they never award it.

At the time of my booking I was debating between a few of the travel sites, but decided to go with Expedia before since I have been loyal there for years, have points, and they had a price match guarantee. I found an exact match on multiple travel sites, both of which were lower than expedia's, and I thoroughly compared all the fine print.

Booked with expedia and submitted my price match, which was advertised to get a response within 48 hours (that was on August 2nd). I got a response the next day, denying it because they needed more information (and they are incapable of looking it up).

Try to contact the price match department- it doesn't exist. They do not answer emails, and there is only a general customer service dept. I tried to be connected to someone specific in that department, who I figured may even have 1/4 of a brain, but alas no luck. Every tedious and draining call for a price match got me nowhere. They review mundane details, quote inaccurate sources, and put you on hold for 20minutes at a time to come back with worthless answers.

August 4th started my price match rebuttal, and I did not get an answer until September 24th (2 weeks after my trip lol). What an embarrassment. Throughout the process, I was given several reasons for why my price match was invalid, all of which proved to them to be incorrect and they agreed, but then nothing changed.

A month after the price match was submitted, they told me that they couldn't do it because the prices were out-of-date... Oh that's great- so I am to blame because they look at it a month after it was submitted. Endless crap like that all for $150.

Instead they lose a customer and hopefully more. I sincerely hope no one books with Expedia if you expect to win a price match guarantee. It doesn't matter how logical or rational your details are, or what evidence you provide. They will stall or come up with some BS to not validate it.

They went from my go-to booking website to being blacklisted. Atrocious.

2015-09-25

"Expedia is in cahoots with tripadvisor, paypal and some hotels and has been known for a long time for taking people for their money. I spent a few hundred and was ripped off completely.

Watch out! Don't use Microsoft Expedia!

2015-09-20

"My daughters first flight, of two, was delayed due to a mechanical issue with the plane. This delay would cause her to miss her connection flight. When I called Expedia to see if we could get her on a later 2nd flight, they all but laughed at me. I was actually told that it was not their issue, and that it was 'a minor issue' and of 'no concern'. They said if my daughter got stuck at the airport where she was to lay over until her 2nd flight, and she actually missed the flight, we would just need to drive the 5 hours to pick her up and bring her home......or....we could pay a horrible fee to "attempt" to change her ticket. I said I was not paying a fee for something I did not cause/choose. After the 17th time of "reviewing my itinerary" she said I could pay an astronomical fee (more than the cost of the ticket to begin with) or keep my "preferred" flight. I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was put on hold. Every few minutes, they would pick up the phone to check and see if I was still there, and then put me back on hold. Once, I actually heard them say (very sarcastically) "put it back on hold - she is waiting for a supervisor (laughter)". After 55 minutes of being on hold, they picked up the phone, said "she is still there" and hung up. We called the carrier directly, and were told that because we booked thru Expedia, they were not supposed to change our flight. Expedia makes tons of money when people are forced to change a flight (due to no fault of the passenger), and they have to ask us to go thru Expedia. I told them what Expedia did, and they went in and changed her flight for free - and did it quickly. NEVER USE EXPEDIA!"

This review was modified by exexpediacustomer on September 20 2015 03:15:55 PM

2015-09-16

"I rented a car through Firefly operated by Hertz. I used Expedia to do this. Expedia offered a great rate of $28(plus 15.99 fees) per day and $43.08 for an extra day. I told the agent the day I picked up the car, that I would need to extend it an extra day. When I returned the car, Firefly decided to void my contact and rate through Expedia and charged me $78/day because they claim I was supposed to call them the day of to extend the rental.

I disagreed with that move and cited the option that Expedia gave me to extend at $43.08 per extra day. Firefly held that I needed to call and they penalized me with a full rate rental each day.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Expedia who refused to require Firefly reimburse me the extra charges and honor the Expedia contract.

I can't trust Expedia again. No customer loyalty. There are many other options to choose from. Beware!

This review was modified by lawlucky on September 16 2015 05:56:23 PM

2015-09-09

"I am so dissatisfied with Expedia I will NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!!!!. Rooms are not what they promised. Quote the Expedia website where I booked room will have "furnished balcony with partial ocean views". We called the Myrtle Beach Resort before leaving to set up for late arrival and they said we were in the Five Seasons Tower, which has absolutely no ocean view, you really need to drive to the ocean and no balconies. We called Expedia who said we would have to pay a cancellation fee, if we changed. Talked to 10 people. When we explained they had advertised an ocean view with balcony and this was false advertising, they never offered us any compensation. I say the contract should be null and void and they don't give you a room that fits the description. We just wanted to cancel and book a room straight through the resort, or have them change us to the room described. They refused, saying there was nothing they could do. We did our part. We paid the money for the described room. They refused to deliver. "

This review was modified by jahurt on September 09 2015 02:49:49 PM

2015-09-09

"If I could leave 0 stars I would. I have used Expedia for years and have always been a happy customer. Whenever anything went wrong, I would call them and they would immediately take care of me. Welp, they outsourced their call center to the Philippines and now it is the most abysmal customer service you can imagine.

I booked a hotel on my smart phone, then when I called to ask for a crib in my room, I was told they didn't have one. I have a baby, so this wasn't going to work. There was nothing during the checkout process stating that I had prepaid for a room, so I called immediately and asked how I could change to a different hotel. I called and was stuck on the phone for an hour while they put me on hold repeatedly and told me they were calling the hotel to try to cancel the booking. I finally asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor hung up on me. I called back and immediately asked to speak to a supervisor. I was put on hold for 30 minutes. When he got on the phone, he hung up on me within 5 minutes. The long hold time and hanging up on customers is unfortunately the norm for call centers in the Philippines.

This took nearly 2 hours with no solution. I gave up since we couldn't cancel the room. When we got to the hotel, we were told that no one from Expedia had called them, despite 3 separate people putting us on hold saying they were calling the hotel. They also stated that the non-refundable room was an Expedia issue, not one of their policies. My son ended up falling off the bed during the night and needed to get 3 stitches in his chin. Thanks to Expedia's horrible customer service, I then ended up with a $400 doctors bill.

Expedia, you have lost a customer. I will NEVER use your services to book travel again. Outsourcing to such a horrible call center is basically your way of putting up your middle finger and saying that you don't care about your customers.

2015-09-09

"I booked a trip to the Bahamas staying at The Reef hotel in Atlantis through Expedia. Because their system was down one day I had to book my flights the day after I booked my hotel, which meant I didn't get any discount off the hotel that they claim you get after booking a flight. (I never complained about this, just figured that things don't always run 100% smoothly, it wasn't anyone's fault.)
I originally booked a studio room, but called back four days before travel to upgrade to a suite. I was on the phone for 45 minutes while the representative supposedly contacted the hotel and updated everything. I was told that everything was all set, I was sent the confirmation email and I was charged a little over $1200 for my upgraded room.
When I arrived at the Reef Hotel in Atlantis I was told they had no evidence of my upgrade. When I showed them my confirmation email with the amount I was charged for the upgrade I was told they had no suites available for me. I was told that because I booked through Expedia they had no obligation to honor the upgrade. The manager we spoke to just kept telling us they have nothing to do with Expedia and therefore they don't need to give us the upgraded room. When I called Expedia from the front desk I was put on hold and then transferred not once or twice but FOUR different times and no one actually answered any of my questions. They just kept saying, "oh, that isn't my department I'll transfer you". Even after I practically begged the fourth person to just listen to me and try to help me she did exactly the same thing and transferred me again.
The hotel finally gave me a suite but it did not have the view that I paid for nor did they give me the "wine and dine pass" that I also paid for. (Again I just wrote that off.) They told me they were giving me the room as a complementary upgrade but that they received no money from Expedia.
Knowing this was a non-refundable booking and that I couldn't wait until I returned home to deal with it I then called Expedia from my room and explained the entire situation. The Expedia representative contacted the hotel, who then sent me a note of apology along with some wine and desserts, but they still maintained that Expedia never paid them the additional $1200. The representative from Expedia assured me that I would be contacted the next day by email to see what happened to that money and if they would refund it to me or pay it to the hotel. The next day all I received was an email saying I would not be refunded because the hotel refused me a refund. I wrote several replies to this email trying to explain that I was not looking for a refund from the hotel but that Expedia had taken $1200 of my money and not given it to anyone! All I received were automatic responses telling me the same thing, that Expedia could not give me a refund because the hotel would not give me a refund. It was very clear that Expedia was not even bothering to read my concerns. I have been a loyal customer of Expedia for many years. I travel fairly frequently and always book through Expedia. This experience has been frustrating enough for me to never use Expedia again, and to leave reviews cautioning others. I understand that there are sometimes glitches and things don't always run perfectly smoothly... But to have this miscommunication with the hotel, and then to be transferred over and over having to go through my explanation four different times and never be connected to someone who could help me is truly frustrating. To finally talk to somebody, explain my entire situation, have it verified by the hotel (while I stay on hold for 35 minutes) and have nothing come of that conversation as well is really maddening... Then to write out four or five different explanations over and over again to the so-called customer service only to get the same informal automated response over and over again is just unacceptable. It was very clear that Expedia did not care that a loyal customer had a very legitimate concern about money being taken and not paid to the proper party.
What bothers me the most was the attitude that I was facing, acting as though I'm trying to get a refund back when I don't deserve it or I'm trying to get something for nothing. This is how I was treated at the hotel and it's how I feel like I'm now being treated by Expedia. I paid $1200 for the upgrade I was entitled to the upgraded room, I wasn't asking for it for free or asking to have the cost refunded to me. I'm truly surprised at the abysmal level of customer service, I won't have expected it from Expedia... This is not dropping the ball on one thing, this is dropping the ball over and over and over again, and no one caring if things were put right. At this point I've called/ emailed Expedia eight different times, I still have no idea if the issue was corrected and the hotel was paid. They have lost my business.

This review was modified by Empirrone on September 09 2015 07:17:49 AM

Share Expedia's store rating

Expedia is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Expedia is not a merchant member
Expedia does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!