• Expedia

Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

"We will not be using expedia for any future travel plans. My boyfriend booked a hotel thru the site and checked to make sure everything was correct before they processed our $300+ hotel room, come to find out while driving to our destination that a clitch in the system changed our reservations from Aug 8th to Sept 12th! The only thing they are doing is refunding our money which will take up to 5 days and we have to fork out another $300+ to stay in the room we wanted. Our night getaway is now ruined by being out that money. Not everyone has that kind of money just laying around, which is why we thought using this site was a good idea to get a good deal! Boy were we wrong. I will not be recommending expedia to anyone."

"I never complain (even with poor service) but this is the second time that I have experienced poor service from Expedia. This time, my credit card was fraudulently charged so I called Expedia to get this situation dealt with. The first gentlemen listened, told me he had made notes on my case and said to expect to receive a call back within 3 hours, I waited and heard nothing. I then called again first thing in the morning and spoke with a different person, she had no idea about my case as the original gentlemen made no notes and there was nothing in system regarding my complaint. She assured me she would take care of it and I would receive a call within 16 minutes. I waited 2 hours and again, no call. I called back at third time and spoke with someone else would had no idea either, I provided him with my case number and he was still clueless so I had to explain the situation yet again. He had me on hold for over 36 minutes, only to tell me that he could not help me and that I should be expecting a call within 3 hours. I said absolutely not, I want to speak with someone right now. He then asked to put me on hold and hung up on me! I have never been more upset in my life. I cAalled the hotel that was fraudulently booked through Expedia and they assured me that they had no charged my card so Expedia did for no reason, they are scammers. I WILL NEVER USE EXPEDIA OR LET ANYONE I KNOW BOOK WITH THEM!"

This review was modified by AshleySHM on August 04 2015 07:43:07 AM

"On July 5 booked a trip with my wife through EXPEDIA.COM., itinerary # 1110107155184. On its website we were made to believe that if we buy travel protection package plan through them, we will have the right to cancel our trip for any reasons without any penalty or fees at any time prior to 48 hours before scheduled of the trip.
When I called Expedia.com to cancel our trip for at least 14 days before our trip was supposed to start, they told me that I will be refunded only for the cheapest part of the trip (ground transportation and hotel ) but nothing for the flights tickets as the most expensive part of the trip.???
Who buys travel insurance for the cheapest part of the trip AND NOT for the most expensive part of it - flight tickets ??
Called EXPEDIA.COM-at least five time- and complaining about it but nothing. Even on their website I can't find the place to write a review for them.
Why we CAN'T write a review on Expedia website, although we tried hard?????

Feel mislead, lied and cheated by them. Shame on EXPEDIA.COM ......

This review was modified by Maliq on August 01 2015 08:29:55 AM

"Website poor. Ended up in a loop between Expedia's website and FlyBE's when trying to make a change to my booking. Phoned FlyBE and told I had to call Expedia as booked through them. Spent over half an hour on the phone to Expedia. I wanted to not use the outbound leg of a flight I had already paid for, but still use the return leg. I was told I would have to pay a second time for the return leg of the flight. They claim this appalling customer service is down to the airline's policy not Expedia's policy. "

This review was modified by paulacoutts on July 30 2015 10:54:34 AM

"Lousy Expedia booking experience and terrible customer service

Booked 1 night at Days Inn Jacksonville, FL. My card was charged instantly (that was the only thing that they’ve done really fast) Arrived at the hotel around 10pm exhausted after almost 20 hours overseas flights only to find out that the hotel doesn’t know about the booking. Spend good 30 minutes at the desk while receptionist was trying to get in touch with Expedia with no result. Thankfully she felt sorry for me and checked me in with no extra charge.
I called Expedia next day and wasted 30 minutes on waiting and then trying to explain situation to the employee who finally said he is sorry that he will apply coupon to my account but before doing that he need to consult his supervisor. He put me on endless hold that was dropped in about half an hour. I waited some time foolishly hoping that they will call me back and then called myself again. Another 30 minutes wait and I need to explain the whole story again to another employee with hardly understandable English. This was like talking to the robot that was programmed to say just few phrases the short meaning of which was: not our fault… Apparently it’s normal for some hotels to receive booking confirmation after several hours the booking was fully paid. How ridiculous is it? Anyway, I lost my patience and ended that fruitless conversation with the promise to delete Expedia apps from all my devises and never use their services again.

This review was modified by Cavezilla on July 13 2015 01:04:15 AM

"Terrible beyond belief! Booked and prepaid a hotel room. Said it was fully paid and guaranteed, but when we arrived we are told Expedia cancelled our reservation the day after we made it.
It took over two hours to speak to someone through customer service and all they could offer for our completely ruined weekend (1st time away from the kids in 4 years) was sort for the inconvenience, we will refund your money within 7 days. Really???? After two hours on hold and no room replacement????? Sorry for the inconvenience??? We will NEVER book through any of their websites again and recommend you don't either.

"We bought a ticket through Expedia, we were prompt to buy the Total Insurance and I did it
Key Benefits:
Coverage for trip cancellation or interruption
Reimbursement for lost luggage

We had one stop at London
Due to the airplane delay in Huston , we missed our airplane and therefore we had to wait around 9 hours in London Airport. When we arrived to our final destination, the bag was delayed to the next day (total delay of 2 days), we went back to the airport and they gave us the bag but it was broken and the airline refused to file a claim even though we were at the airport.
So in summary we had:
Travel delay
Baggage delay
Baggage damage

Surprisingly, we called Aon Insurance and after a 45 international call (they refused to get the info by Mail! they asked us to give them :
Full names
Addresses
Phone number
Letter by letter ( g like georges, e like earth … !!!!!!!!)
After submitting the claim with the necessary documents (claim ref: Travel Protection Plan 15EXC08784),
They said:
Travel delay :Not covered by Policy !
Baggage delay : Not covered by Policy !
Baggage damage : Not Covered since we are a secondary insurance !

What kind of Total Protection insurance tell you that you are covered for :
trip cancellation or interruption
Reimbursement for lost luggage
And doesn’t cover my Travel delay ,Baggage delay ,Baggage damage !
This is an insurance that Cover Nothing !

EXPEDIA SAID: THIS CONCERN AON INSURANCE COMPANY NOT US !!!
I will be sure that I will get my right by :
Media , Law
Any help is highly appreciated TO FIGHT THIS FRAUD
MY EMAIL IS GEORGES_TOUMA@HOTMAIL.COM and I am ready for any clarification

This review was modified by georges2015 on May 08 2015 05:26:08 AM

"This is the worst service!
Each time I've made hotel accommodations, I've found that this company is useless.
The most recent incident occurred just this weekend. I had a two day stay booked at the Candlewood Suites Birmingham -Hoover location. I prepaid the reservation.
I did not check into the hotel at all, and both Expedia and the Candlewood Suites refused to refund the money I prepaid. Yes, both companies pocketed my prepaid stay without providing, a service.
Last time I'd ever consider Candlewood, last time I'll ever use Expedia.
I plan on sharing this information with all of my consultant friends and Human Resources department as well.
It may not ruin either company, but it will notify others of the total disregard for decency and common courtesy.

This review was modified by HCOOPER3030 on April 18 2015 09:39:30 AM

"I HAVE HAD TO WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND EXPERIENCE WITH EXPEDIA.COM WITH PURCHASING TICKETS. I BOUGHT A FLIGHT TICKET AND HOTEL WITH EXPEDIA AND THEY CHARGED ME TWICE FOR MY FLIGHT. I CALLED EXPEDIA WAITED FOR AN HOUR AND TOLD THEM MY PROBLEM AND THE PHONE DISCONNECTED.
I THAN CALLED AGAIN WAITED FOR ANOTHER HOUR TOLD THEM WHAT HAPPENED TO ME ON MY PREVIOUS CALL AND THE PERSON TOOK MY PHONE NUMBER JUST IN CASE WE GET DISCONNECTED. AS SHE WAS TRANSFERRING
ME THEN PHONE DISCONNECTED FROM HER END AGAIN.
SO I WAITED FOR 20 MINUTES AND NEVER GOT A CALL AGAIN.
THAN I CALLED AGAIN AND WAITED FOR 1 HOUR AND 20 MINUTES, THE PERSON TAKES MY CALL BACK NUMBER AND WAS TRYING TO CONNECT ME WITH HER SUPERVISOR AND AGAIN THEIR PHONE DISCONNECTED.

I AM SUPER DISTRAUGHT ABOUT ME BEING CHARGED TWICE THAT WILL TAKE DAYS TO REIMBURSED. THIS WAS THE MONEY I WAS SUPPOSE TO PURCHASE AN ADDITIONAL TICKET FOR MY FIANCE FOR OUR HONEYMOON AND NOW I AM AT RISK BECAUSE IF ALL TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT AND I CAN'T PURCHASE TICKETS FOR MY FIANCE, IT'LL RUIN MY TRIP EVEN MORE THAN EXPEDIA HAS ALREADY MADE IT TO BE.

I WILL NEVER USE OR RECOMMEND USING EXPEDIA FOR ANYTHING WHATS SO EVER. I HAVE NEVER HAD OR DEALT WITH THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE.

BE ADVISED!!!!

"I have been using Expedia since 2001. I recently booked a trip and hotel 5 weeks ahead of travel and received a notice that the flight was cancelled and I needed to call Expedia. After 5 calls the problem was still not resolved. I was given options of other flights, I selected the alternatives, and the flight changes were not made. I called today, was given alternate flights from another airport, and after an hour the supervisor said they needed a refund from the carrier before they could book the change. After 40 years of travel, I have never seen such incompetence, what happened Expedia?"

"Expedia had no record of a change to my hotel check-in date even though I had spoken with an agent and requested a change in date. This was well in advance of the cancellation time. I got a call from the hotel asking if I was coming the night of the original booking. Expedia had not notified the hotel of the change. At first it did not seem like Expedia was going to refund my money. They did eventually agree to switch the date of my stay. Not impressed at all - a LOT of time wasted on the phone - and I will make a point of not booking anything through Expedia in the future. "

This review was modified by acbent on February 16 2015 10:22:16 AM

"Summary

Expedia messed up a vacation package we made on phone for 5 families; they booked flight for some, but missed booking hotel for some; booked the wrong child with the wrong parents; 8+ hours on phone but in vain; customer service call keeps dropping

Details:

We are a group of 5 families who booked a vacation to a resort in Mexico. On 1/25/2014 at midnight we called Expedia to make the reservation. After spending 2 hours on the phone to complete the reservation, when the final confirmation email came through we found that there were several errors in the reservation. Even though the service was for group booking – instead of having one consolidated booking – the service agent made 3 separate bookings for 6, 6, and 5 (it appears the agent was also running into the unusual 6 person per booking issue). More egregiously, the total number of folks in our party are 17, however total guests in the rooms totalled to 12. Since it was a All-Inclusive resort, it was even more important that all guests show on the hotel room reservation. Some rooms should have had 2 adults and 2 kids, but the representative only booked for 1 adult and 1 kid. Not only that, kids of some parents were booked with different parents.

The next morning we kept trying to contact Expedia phone customer service and facing the following problems:

1. The call to the customer service consistently disconnected abruptly while talking or while being on hold for hours. And then we have to repeat the whole process all over again. Multiple folks in our group have experienced this issue. We tried calling through land line and different mobiles to rule out an issue on the phone on our side.
2. On one instance the customer service claimed that the hotel’s reservation office is closed on Sunday and they would followup the next day. However after that I called the hotel directly and confirmed that their reservations is infact open.
3. On another instance while discussing it with one of the supervisor, we sent an email to travel@customercare.expedia.com and got a case number back. On some of our future calls to customer service, they couldn’t even find our issue by the case id number.

We were on the phone for more than 6 hours to try to get the issue resolved, however no solution. It felt that Expedia charged us and once they had the money they do not care about their customers.

Finally we called Expedia to cancel our booking, and since it was booked on Alaska Airlines and within 24 hour we were able to cancel the booking. That itself took 2 hours!

In totality we were on the phone for close to 10 hours atleast including booking, trying to get the issue resolved and cancelling.

We are all surprised at the response that we have received from Expedia on this issue. An error that was introduced by an Expedia representative, costed us several hours of stress, and spoiled a Sunday for several of us that we would have rather spent with my family.

For a lack of a better term, this experience with Expedia has been traumatic. For us a vacation that was supposed to be relaxing and energizing, Expedia caused us enough anguish that we considered dropping the vacation plan.

We wrote an email to Expedia leadership explaining this whole incident and haven’t since heard from them either.

I understand that errors can happen while making reservations, however I expect that for a company like Expedia to correct such errors promptly and not subject their customers to such a painful process.

This review was modified by pankajbharti on February 04 2015 03:51:59 PM

"I used to be a loyal Orbitz customer, but have found their site becoming more and more annoying to use. I just booked a trip through Expedia and was very impressed with the ease of using the site, the flight options and the prices. It seem that many of the customer complaints are regarding attempts to change reservations after booking. ALL of the travel sites have pretty strict and well outlined policies regarding changes to reservations, so it really should be no surprise when fees are charged or changes cannot be made. Granted, I am new to Expedia, but impressed so far. I will update my review after my trip.

This review was modified by timberdoodley on January 15 2015 09:15:33 AM

"I called on December 4th to book a trip for March 3 thru March 9. The agent stated over the phone those were the dates he would book it for. The next day I received email confirmation and he booked it for the wrong dates. After hours and hours of phone calls, being hung up on, accused of lying and mistreated they refunded my money 4 days later. I then called back to REBOOK my vacation (wouldn't have had to if the agent wouldn't have incorrectly booked it) I got a hold of a supervisor by the name of Lola. She said she would help me rebook it for the same cost I paid which was $477/night. It had gone up to $660/night. We got disconnected after 43 minutes, not the first time this had happened. I called back and waited another 30 minutes. They told me they would not offer it. The supervisor was rude to me and only gave me 30 seconds of his time to explain. This is the worst customer service I have ever had in my entire life. Expedia was lucky i even called back to give them business then they treat me so rudely? This was all EXPEDIA'S AGENT error, not my fault as the customer. All I am asking for is the same price I paid 4 days ago and unfortunately because of the agent they had to cancel it because he booked it for December instead of March. I will make sure EVERY person I know is aware to NEVER book through Expedia and when you google Expedia every other person that has been treated like me can tell you why to stay away from Expedia. Social media travels fast! If you decide to take care of this issue you have caused please call me.
-Unhappy in Nebraska, Haley Walker

"Website is easy to use.......THAT'S ABOUT IT!!!! YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF BY THE HOTEL AND EXPEDIA WON'T STAND BY YOU. I PAID EXTRA FOR OCEAN VIEW ON MY TRIP TO JAMAICA WHEN I GOT TO THE HOTEL...RIU MONTEGO BAY, THEY SAID THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY AVAILABLE OCEANN VIEW ROOMS AND OFFERED A LETTER STATING THAT THEY DIDN'T ACCOMMODATE ME ON SUCH A ROOM. FOR WHICH I WILL GET A REFUND FROM EXPEDIA WHEN I GOT BACK FROM MY TRIP, ALL I NEEDED WAS TO SEND THE LETTER TO EXPEDIA. I KINDLY ACCEPTED SINCE I DIDN'T HAVE ANY CHOICE AND I DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE MY WIFE TO THE STREETS OF JAMAICA LOOKING FOR OTHER HOTEL, ANYWAY I WAS GONNA GET A REFUND. IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A MONTH WHERE EXPEDIA PUTS ME ON HOLD FOR HOURS SAYING THEY ARE TRYING TO CONTACT THE HOTEL, THEY PROMISE A CALL BACK EVERY TIME I HOLD FOR SO LONG AND THE CALL NEVER COMES, MY TIME IS WORTH MUCH AND I WAS NOT THE ONE CHANGING THE TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT. AFTER SEVERAL DAYS WAITING FOR THE CALL THEY WERE GONNA MAKE "THE NEXT DAY" I CALLED THEM AGAIN AND THEY TOLD ME THEY CONTACTED THE HOTEL AND SINCE I ACCEPTED THE ROOM (WHICH WAS THE ONLY CHOICE THEY OFFERED AND I ALREADY WAS IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY) THEY WEREN'T GONNA ISSUE ANY REFUND. NOT TO HAPPY WITH THE SITUATION I CALLED MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY AND DISPUTED THE PAYMENT, NOW WE WILL SEE WHO IS GONNA BE CALLING WHO, I AM TIRED OF CALLING THEM, I SHOULD GET A REFUND ON MY TIME WASTED TRYING TO GET SUCH A REFUND."

Share Expedia's store rating

Expedia is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Expedia is not a merchant member
Expedia does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!