ExpediaCoupons

Product & services pricing Rating 1.25/10 1.25/10

"Buyer Beware, Expedia will rip you off at any opportunity.
They claim"guaranteed lowest price" which I later found out was applicable for 24 hours. I checked a flight and it was about $450, two days later I checked again and it was $760, so fearing it would go higher, I bought it. Then because Expedia continuously sends emails saying "lowest fares" to the destination I wanted, I checked again. It was back down to about $535, so I called American airline to ask if I could have the reduced amount. American was willing if I had bought it through them- but unfortunately had to refer me back to Expedia. Expedia wouldn't budge and I will never do business with them again.

modified review This review was modified by sanbre on July 17 2014 09:09:29 AM

"I looked for a hotel for an upcoming trip on Expedia.com and found one with good reviews for $101. I decided to book the room and clicked on the link to the page to pay for the room and enter my contact info. Then 30 seconds later I got an email thanking me for my reservation and confirming the charge of $197.35!!! (including an extra person charge of over $70 despite the fact that I was booking for 3 people to share a room and the page said the room accommodated 4 people!). So I called Expedia customer service and was told that I did not read the fine print of the terms and conditions which apparently reads that they can charge any amount they feel like which may or may not have any relationship to the price actually shown on their website 5 seconds earlier. Sure enough I looked up a few other hotels and clicked through the link; on the page where you confirm the reservation there is a tiny box on the upper right which on almost every hotel shows a price anywhere from $25-$90 more than listed on the original page. So just for comparison I searched the same hotel on Orbitz.com and found an honest price on the first page of $197.35, with a breakdown of how much is the room charge and how much is tax. I have never seen such a blatant bait and switch resulting in me paying almost double the listed price because I did not catch the fine print which shows that they can just pick a number out of a hat to list as the price on the original page and you could actually pay double that or any other number. I travel a lot and intend to do so much more in coming years; Expedia is dishonest and will not get any more of my business."

modified review This review was modified by acanwin on June 21 2014 11:45:38 PM

"I am not sure what is up with the Expedia web site. I booked my flight months in advance. I had a leaving and return date for a trip, when I started. I looked at the information but didn't catch that Expedia changed the date of my return to the same date as when I left. Only giving me 3:15 minutes of vacation time instead of 10 days. The cost to change, according to the airlnes, was 80% more than what was already paid!!! WHICH GOT EXPENSIVE QUICKLY!!! Very disappointed! Contacted Expedia and they had me contact the airline. No refund. "

modified review This review was modified by tsharrish on April 25 2014 12:45:13 PM

"On October 9th, 2013 I booked a flight to CO to visit my new grandson scheduled for Jan 23rd, 2014. After several changes on this flight I arrived at airport for my scheduled flight at 7 am but was told my airline that my whole trip had been cancelled due to a connecting flight being cancelled. I was not notified by Expedia or airline regarding this change and I had to purchase a new ticket to get another flight for that afternoon at a much higher price. My previous seat had been sold and flight was full. Second flight only had a few seats left. When I notified Expedia, they gave me no help putting the blame on the airline. I am still trying to get original ticket refunded. I will never use Expedia again. When there is a problem, they don't help their customer...."

modified review This review was modified by dbennet2 on February 05 2014 02:10:12 PM

"I book a trip through expedia on 01/19/2014 at 5 pm...
On 01/23/2014 at 1:30 am , I HAD DISCOVERED THAT THE EXaCT SAME TRIP HAD BEEN REDUCED BY $500... Expedia and their supervisors would do nothing for me. I WILL NEVER USE EXPEDIA AGAIN !!!

modified review This review was modified by rich.fitzwell on January 22 2014 11:42:51 PM

"Expedia is a scam.
They are horrible as many other reviews have stated.
They are only nice until they get your money.
I booked for a hotel stay through Expedia.I thought they had a good rate.They asked for upfront payment to confirm the reservation and I complied.Everything was ok and I checked out before 11am.Asked the guy at check out and he said everything is fine.I was incensed to find they charged me a pending hold of $100 for the room.I know hotels keep credit card information in case of damages.However why should their agent Expedia charge me upfront and the hotel place a pending hold.
Customer service was terrible and would not take responsibility stating that it is a transaction between the hotel and I.I asked them who introduced me to the hotel?They could not answer that.
I also made them know that I will be getting legal help if that charge is not removed and in case of legal action,they are legal agents of the hotel and cannot extricate themselves.
I will never use this site again.
Buyer beware.

"Expedia is a worthless website. I made a reservation for a hotel and my event date changed. I called the hotel to change the date but they said since it was booked through expedia they told me I had to contact expedia. I contacted expedia and they were less than helpful. They told me I bought a non refundable room and the date could not be changed. They said it was non refundable due to the low rate. I checked the hotels website and they had the same price as I paid on expedia and I could cancel the room with notice. Expedia has terrible customer service and they provide no real service."

"I can't get enough of this site. I don't plan any trip without it. I always get great rates on everything. I try to road trip it whenever I can, but when I do decide to fly, there's no way I'd buy directly from the airlines. Expedia is always cheaper.

On top of it all, whenever I book a motel room, the motel gets almost automatic confirmation. I've extended my stay FROM my motel room on Expedia... 5 minutes before checkout... and didn't have a problem. Love it!

"I made a hotel reservation on expedia.com. It was a double charge posted on my credit card for the hotel stay. I contacted Expedia customer service, but they refused to fix the problem and advised me to call the hotel myself (which is in Turkey). TERRIBLE SERVICE!"

"Have used Expedia a bunch of times. First time booking a package (flight and hotel together) - booked a flight first and they upsold me a hotel room at Newport Beach and I got a nice discount for booking together. Checked into the hotel and no problems & a nice room. "

zeta's Avatar
Arizona, US

"The mobile site was simple to use and quick. I booked it and apparently you need to give them 15 minutes before heading there so it appears in their system. That was the only problem I encountered with them."

"I used Expedia to book flights for my honeymoon. A month and a half later, I received an email that my flights had been changed and that I needed to contact Expedia. The first time I called them, I was at work - I thought a quick call could resolve the problem, but I spent 10 minutes on hold waiting to talk to someone, who then put me on hold for a further 10 minutes. I finally had to hang up because I couldn't neglect my responsibilities at work any longer. The second time I called, I spent at least 20 minutes on hold just waiting to speak to someone. I'm baffled as to why they couldn't take the initiative to contact me, which could've saved me over 30 minutes of waiting on hold. Once I finally managed to speak with someone, I was told that my flight time had been changed by more than 11 hours. I was given two options - request a full refund (and then have to pay full price on a new reservation, which was now considerably more expensive), or accept another less-than-ideal flight at no discount. I grudgingly accepted another flight, then spent well over an hour on hold (again) just waiting for a confirmation that everything had been changed and that my soon to be wife and I would still be able to sit together on the plane. Once everything was finally confirmed, I voiced my displeasure at Expedia's handling of the entire situation. The representative offered a $50 Expedia voucher, but didn't send it to me or explain how to find/redeem it. In short, I spent two hours on the phone attempting to resolve something that should've already been taken care of, I got stuck with a flight that I didn't want, I lost several hours of my honeymoon due to the later flight, and all they offered in compensation was a $50 credit to spend on another Expedia reservation (which doesn't even cover half of the cost of a hotel stay). To add insult to injury, when they sent my new itinerary, it was addressed "Dear _____" - they didn't even bother to type my name into the email. If I ever get my $50 credit, I'm going to sell it to someone else, as I never intend to use the company for anything ever again. "

"First of all, Expedia and Hotels.com are one and the same so if you have had awful CS with one, it will be the same with the other.  (I just wrote a review of a recent experience with Hotels.com CS and believe me, they are just as bad.)

In late July 2011, I booked a 4-night hotel reservation on the Expedia website using a promotion on Facebook, which would entitle me to a $100 or $150 (don't remember exact $ amount) prepaid Visa a couple months after I completed my stay.  After making my booking, I realized that I needed to shorten it to 3 nights, which I could only do over the phone.  I called Expedia and the CSR changed my booking.  i asked her if this would affect my Facebook promotion and she said that with a 3-night stay, I qualified for only a $50 prepaid card, but otherwise, my promotion was still intact.  I asked her if she were sure and she said yes, and while we're at it, please give me the mailing address to which you would like the card to be sent.  It sounded like she knew what she was doing so I gave her my mailing address and thought everything was fine.  Actually, I had had multiple bad experiences with Expedia CSRs promising things that don't happen, so I would have just booked through another company in the first place, but for whatever reason, Expedia was the only website that had all of my dates available.  And secondly, I would have just cancelled then rebooked the reservation on Expedia.com to make sure I still got the FB promotion, but the availability at this hotel for my dates were really limited and I was afraid of losing the reservation if I tried this.

Fast forward 2 months, no card, so I call Expedia to check its status.  CSR tells me he's not sure why I didn't get a card, but there wasn't anything he could do for me other than a $50 credit on my Expedia account.  I'm not happy about this because I doubt I'll use Expedia again and ask to speak with a supervisor.  The supervisor tells me that by changing my reservation, my original 4-night booking was cancelled (FB promotion cancelled with it), then a new 3-night booking made. Obviously I had no idea this took place and secondly, the original CSR assured me that I would still get the promotion! The supervisor then went on to tell me that the CSR I had just spoken with made a mistake, that he did NOT have the authority to give me a $50 account credit.  Ultimately, the supervisor said there was NOTHING she could do for me, as a matter of policy, that I could escalate to Corporate, but that I could not call them directly, she would have to stay on the line with me or call me back once she got connected to Corporate.  After waiting 20 minutes, she said it would be better if she called me back once Corporate got on the line, so we hung up, but guess what?  She never called me back!

Final Venting/Some Advice (same as my Hotels.com rant, as they are the same company):
- It's best to stay away from these companies, but if for some reason, you feel like you HAVE TO book through Hotels/Expedia, e.g., they are the only ones with your dates available, know that the after-care will be the opposite of care.
- it's happened to me no less than 4 times that a CSR will offer me a credit on my Expedia account, or a statement credit, and it will not go through. As explained above, CSRs do not have this authority/discretion and after the CSR inputs it, it will simply disappear.  What is strange is that CSRs Keep Doing This!  And even if you have incontrovertible proof, such as an email confirming the credit, Hotels/Expedia will NOT honor their employees' promises.  Escalating does not work.  Bottom line is that it is probably a waste of your time to get an "I'm sorry" credit on your Hotels/Expedia account, and if you are offered a statement credit, get WRITTEN PROOF.  At least this way, you can file a dispute with your CC company, but be sure you do so within their time limits.
- Hotels/Expedia's after-care CS is overseas and poorly trained.  I am not saying all overseas CS is bad, I've dealt with many professional and nice ones, but Hotels/Expedia's is by far the worst.  When you get upset and frustrated with an American CSR, oftentimes they empathize and sometimes go above and beyond to help you.  Even if they can't help you, having a sympathetic voice on the other end does wonders.  When I have gotten upset with Hotels/Expedia's CSR on the line, they are like emotionless robots, reading off a script, and sometimes have gotten downright nasty, trying to make the situation seem like my fault, even yelling at me!  I have NEVER been yelled at by a CSR EXCEPT FROM Hotels/Expedia.  Many companies use overseas CSRs, but in my experience, eventually, you can escalate to an American CSR who is better-trained and has the authority to help you.  This is NOT the case with Hotels/Expedia.
- Bottom line is as a matter of principle, it's best to stay away from Hotels.com/Expedia because their customer care policy is the worst you will experience and bad behavior should not be rewarded.

Planatoid's Avatar
New York; not the city

"Booked a trip to Italy with my dad through Expedia.com. The first issue I had was coordinating our flights, as we both had different origins. I tried to explain to a customer service person how I wanted to schedule the trip originating from two airports but meeting on the east coast for the flight to Rome. They couldn't quite understand that, so I ended up having to book two separate trips. Luckily we were still able to sit next to each other on the way over, but not on the way back. I got a seemingly good deal on the hotel for Venice, it was much cheaper than some competitors. Overall, the trip went through without a hitch and Expedia definitely performed. I will be using Expedia again...if they have the best price, of course."

"I SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THIS WEBSITE AND THESE LOW-RATING REVIEWS BEFORE BOOKING TICKET.

Because the same thing happen to me. They had a very nice price on the website, but you had better take the following items into account:
1) the time and money you might spend in the endless loop of customer service line.
2) the pleasure of a vacation that is taken by their horrible service
3) the frustration because of being fooled
...
...

I had nothing to say, just hope this review can be helpful to someone planning a trip or vacation so that they won't invest their money and "supposed-to-have" happiness on a irresponsible and lousy company.

Expedia is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Expedia is not a merchant member
Expedia does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!