• Emergency Essen

Product & services pricing Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

"BUYER BEWARE!!!
We purchased two of the 2,000 calorie “Convenience Year Supply” products from Emergency Essentials in September 2011. In November 2013, we moved to a different state. As we were unpacking our food storage, we noticed that some of our cans were significantly bulging. When I called Emergency Essentials for guidance, I was told that they couldn’t help us as the product was more than a year old. I asked for a Supervisor as I fully expected that Emergency Essentials would live up to their reputation of being a Customer focused organization. None was available, so I left my cell number with a promise that someone would call me back. No one ever did.

After 12 phone calls to Emergency Essentials, I finally got through to a Supervisor today. She reinforced what I was told over a year ago … that they won’t replace any product that it is over a year old. The products in question are all labeled “Provident Pantry” of the following variety:

Almond Poppy Seed Mix
Honey Cornbread Mix
Six Grain Pancake Mix

She explained that these products contain a leavening agent and are highly sensitive to storage conditions and that the life expectancy is more in the “5 year range”, if that. I was stunned by what I heard as the sales representative never mentioned this and, in fact, told us that everything should last “at least 25 years if store in a cool and dry place except for powdered milk which should last at least 20 years”. I explained this to hear, but to no avail. I told her that we found the bulging cans roughly two years after purchase and that at least they should have made it to five years. Furthermore, we had purchased product from one of their competitors who issued a voluntary recall just after we found the bulging Emergency Essential cans.

I was extremely surprised when she reinforced that they would not work with us and that nothing would be replaced. She said that they would not guarantee anything with regard to their product beyond one year. I went back to the website and found no reference regarding the products named above. I did, however, find a webpage entitled “Shelf Life Article” which is well-written and leads the reader to believe that everything has a shelf life of 25 to 30 years under the proper conditions, with the exception of powdered milk which has a shelf life of “20 years or more”. What is clear now is that, unless it is specifically called out and tied to a prescribed life, you can’t assume that anything you buy will last more than a year, given the length of their guarantee.

Beyond the obvious failure to stand behind its products, I found the Emergency Essential Customer Team to be completely inconsistent. One representative told me that she would, “replace our food if it were up to her”. Another told me that “bulging cans are not a concern” and another told us to “throw out any cans that are bulging”. When I called back in AFTER talking to the Customer Service Supervisor, one of their Customer Services representatives told me that their food should all last “25 years or more” and when I pressed about products with leavening agents, he responded with “they should last at least five years if not seven”.

I am highly disappointed with Emergency Essentials. I would suggest strongly that you think twice before buying from this company given the manner in which they are doing business.

modified review This review was modified by CrowLou on December 26 2014 05:28:13 PM

"I have been using Emergency Esstentails for years and have nothign but the best of service from them. In my latest order, one of the #10 cans was dented. I contacted them and they sent out a replacement, at no charge, that very same day. I would VERY highly recommend them. And actually I do to all of my friends! I am very surprised to see others have had issues."

modified review This review was modified by Texasjackie on February 11 2014 11:58:46 AM

"Terrible customer service! Forget about sending this company emails as they ignore them. But wait, it gets worse when you talk to Customer Service as they treat the customer like trash. When I placed my order in June, they also sent me a $40 item that I had not ordered. They just put the wrong shipping label on the product. Rather than keeping the product, I did the honest thing and called them to return the item. I used my packing materials and my time to get this back to them and never did they say thank you. I recently needed a $2.00 item and wanted to see if they could waive or reduce shipping to show their appreciation for me taking the time and my expense to get their item back to them. The customer service agent actually had the nerve to say that I should not be rewarded for doing the honest thing. Excuse me!!! I would never ever say something like that to a customer. By the way, he did reduce shipping but I was so fed up with this agent and company that I was ready to go elsewhere and that is my recommendation to anyone reading this."

"I placed an order on March 9th. As of March 2oth, I had received no other contact other than being charged for the items. I emailed the customer support email found on my confirmation email and inquired as to the status of my order. I received only an email from Fedex stating it was being shipped the 21st. It has now been rescheduled to be delivered on the 27th. I understand that some items get delayed, especially in light of events such as tornadoes and flooding. I should have received some type of notice. Instead, I have NEVER heard from the company except in the form of a deduction from my account for items that had not even shipped.
I'll probably refrain from ordering anything else from this company.

"Products were as described and shipping was prompt. An emailed question about a product was promptly answered with a personal email. I will be ordering from then again."

"Emergency Essentials has superb customer service and great prices. I also hear their employees are very attractive."

"I am reviewing only electronic products advertised in the catalog. I left critical reviews for 2 on their web site but they were not published. I take that as a deception since there is nothing I can find on the site saying that the reviews are selected. In one case there is a "Emergency Mobile Phone Adapter" which has a connector for one of their hand cranked generators on one end generators and a cigarette lighter socket on the other. The implication is there is a voltage booster in the socket to produce the 12 volts that the device you plug in will expect. This is not true. There is just a wire between the connectors. In the other case a shake to charge flashlight with 2 CR2032 primary cells is described as bright and the batteries as having a 10 year shelf life. Mine was dim as received and still dim after removing the CR2032s and shaking as instructed. After further investigation I find that the 2 lithium cells are in series across a capacitor rated for 5.5 volts. The lithium cells read about 3 volts each as I removed them and other partly used cells I had lying around read 3.25V. so at least 6.5 V was applied to the 5.5 V rated capacitor causing it to leak and discharge the battery while ruining the capacitor. This is a design fault."

Share Emergency Essentials's store rating

Emergency Essentials is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Emergency Essentials is not a merchant member
Emergency Essentials does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!