Stores > Dell
  • Dell

Product & services pricing Rating 1.92/10 1.92/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.79/10 1.79/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10
Voice your opinion! Review Dell by clicking a star below.
2017-07-18

Faulty Product, Horrible Customer Service

"I purchased an Inspiron 15 5567 laptop in December 2016 and on March 22, 2017, its battery completely failed. After more than an hour on the phone with Dell's Technical Support, they determined the failure was likely my fault because I "overcharged" the battery. Dell's own Laptop Battery FAQs state that the battery can't be overcharged because " ... the battery is designed to stop using the charger when it reaches full charge," but apparently facts don't apply here because Dell wasn't going to admit that I was sold a laptop with a bad battery. The fault was place squarely on me, the customer.
When I purchased the laptop, I had chosen the mail-in service option, primarily because my previous Dells had been reliable and I'd only had to call on Technical Support and subsequent repair after extended periods of use. So, I had to ship my laptop to Houston to have the battery replaced, a repair I was told would 7-12 days to complete. When you include the 10-day round-trip shipping, I would be without my laptop, on which I rely to make my living, for 17-22 days, which was, to say the least, panic-inducing.
After I shipped my laptop off to Dell, I tried desperately to find someone at Dell to help me expedite the repair and return process, first emailing Customer Care who then kicked me back to Technical Support. When I finally was able to speak to a supervisor, I was spoken to in a manner that was beyond rude. For more than an hour, this supervisor argued with me, frequently interrupting me to talk over me and tell me how wrong I was to have shipped my laptop off to Houston so quickly and telling me that he could have helped me if only I had waited to send my laptop off for repairs. I wish I were kidding about this. I know it sounds unbelievable and perhaps I wouldn't believe it if it hadn't happened to me, but it did. At the end of the call, I was in tears of frustration and anger. All I wanted was for someone at Dell to treat me as well after they had my money as they had before they had my money. But Dell is no longer that company.
To the Houston facility's credit, the battery replacement was done quickly and my laptop returned quickly. I'm praying that it holds out. And, of course, Dell has never and will never admit that I was sold a laptop with a faulty battery in the first place.
Because I have been a longtime customer who had seen the steady decline of Dell's product and especially its service, I recently wrote a letter about my displeasure to CEO Michael Dell and mailed it to the Corporate Office in Round Round, Texas. In response, I received a phone call from a member of Dell's Advanced Resolution Group. He also was rude, condescending, frequently talked over me, and did nothing to try to retain me as a Dell customer. I guess I shouldn't have been shocked, but I was still shocked.
I am well and truly done with Dell. And I'll do my level best to steer everyone I know away from doing business with Dell as well.

2017-07-06

Lied About Product Availability

"I ordered a video card from Dell after chatting with a sales rep. I asked very specifically whether the item was physically in stock, or if it was subject to availability and drop-shipped from a manufacturer. They assured me that the item was physically in stock and would ship. I asked why the delivery date was a couple of weeks in the future. They lied and said that it was just the initiation of the process that causes the delay in shipping, and not anything to do with item availability. I checked the site every day for a few days after I placed the order and the item still showed as in stock. Then I waited until my estimated delivery date and the item hadn't moved. The order was 'confirmed' but not actually shipped. So I contacted them and they informed me that the item was no longer being manufactured. In other words, the sales rep lied to me. The only reason I ordered from Dell was because they listed the item in stock, where other sites listed it out of stock, or for a higher price. If the sales rep had been honest, I would have ordered a similar item elsewhere and avoided this headache. All they offered in return for my wait time, the lie and the cancellation was to cancel the order and a coupon. Great, so now I have a useless coupon for a site that I will never order from again because I can't trust them, and they've wasted my time, and my money has been **** on my card so I can't order a new item from elsewhere until the authorization clears. Don't ever order from Dell!"

2017-06-26

take your money and won't give it back

"I ordered a Alien aurora from Dell the other day. I remember as a kid dell be best in computing. so having looked around i thought, yeh, dell. Gaming PC, £1200, lets do it.

First of all, after i received the initial "internet receipt" i heard nothing. my credit card statement said " payment pending" so 3 days later i use the DELL chat feature to talk to sales. Why sales and not the people who deal with the order. Because to do this, you need your ORDER NUMBER, which you only get after the order has been processed. In the mean time there is nothing you can do. I spoke to a chap in sales, told him my query, he took my Internet order number and off he went to look.

Came back 30 seconds later "your order has been rejected due compatibility reasons"

Why i ask and why not tell me

The fan you selected for the machine is not available so you have to upgrade to the £200 more expensive fan. Right i say, thats fair enough i guess, don't want the machine melting

Off he goes again. The comes back and asked to process that one. I explain to him "there is a still a transaction pending" we need to cancel that one first or ill be charged twice.

"no no no you won't, please fill in the credit card order form"

I say no, i want that other one cancelling first as there isn't enough funds on the card to take two payments, its just going to reject"

"no no no it will be fine i promise"

Long story short, it rejected. he the demanded i ring the bank there and then, "you tell them dell isn't fraudulent"

I ring the bank, they say no they need to cancel that as there isn't enough funds

I go back to him, I say to him, cancel the first one then wait for that to leave the system and then we ca carry on"
Then goes on to tell me he will process it first thing and let me know when its done. HOW?? don't you need me to enter my card details first??

All in all, their service is rubbish, its stressful and that "£1200 which became £1400" is my money, and they haven't cancelled the order so they are holding my money ransom.

Go elsewhere guys. Iv bought computer stress free before.

2017-06-12

I tried to buy dell allienware 17 laptop with headset which are £3090.00 from dell website. My payment for laptop has declined but for heads

"I tried to buy dell allienware 17 laptop with headset which are £3090.00 from dell website.
My payment for laptop has declined but for headset is processed and they were shipped out. I send them email to cancel order because I don't need headset without laptop. How comes? I putted into basket 2 items, they charge me which is processed. I understood, there are someone in office and try to charge your card without your knowledge. When you submit your first order, if its not successfully, then they try to charge manually. They are using your card details. They saying they can't cancel order and cannot refund money for headset. There is must be cancellation and returns period e.g. 14 days. Also I sent cancellation email before dispatch the item. And they didn't ask me to charge my card behind of process.

2017-05-29

Terrible.

"This is the second time I purchased the Dell laptop. But both the times my experience with dell was very bad. First time the speakers blew off within 15 days and second time the software is highly corrupted. I am facing hardware problems like dysfunction of power button and control key. Software problems such as blue screen of death. Now, in case of blue screen of death I tried almost everything to stop to it but I was not able to do it. When I called Dell they told me that they are ready to fix hardware problems as my laptop is in warranty period but they will charge for software problems. So, if you don't want nightmares while coding do not purchase dell products especially laptops. "

2017-05-22

What a joke!

"I ordered 6 PCs for my business. I purchased Adobe Acrobat for 5 of the PCs. None of them came with the software installed. None of them came with CDs. None of them came with product keys. I have spent well over half an hour on the phone with at least 5 different Dell reps and I'm still nowhere close to getting Adobe installed on these computers. Also, I could barely understood the last person I spoke to. I had to hang up on her out of frustration because she can't tell me what to do to correct the problem."

2017-05-09

does not live up to warranty support

"I have had issues ever since I got my laptop in regards to getting help
about 1 1/2 years ago I was having several issues was told finally after a marathon of days of calls to send in for depot repair ok fine may get somewhere
so in it goes to depot repair in texas, a week or so later I get it back poorly packed I might add just put in box no padding nothing!
the laptop wouldn't even turn on!
so I call and got the same supervisor who swore up and down and promised everything would be checked fixed blah blah he laughed at me when I said the laptop wouldn't even turn on
all the depot repair is ( spoiler alert) is a hard drive replacement ( 5 minute job) and they ( dell) put in a fault hard drive so a second hard drive was needed to fix there alledged repair ( they also claimed they ran various checks test etc... odd how that happened when it wouldn't even turn on
fast forward to this year took over 2 weeks of calls and nagging for them to replace a mother board
my current issue ( finally getting fixed I think) took over a month of calls
my advice is your best bet is to file a complaint with the better business burea
they can careless at all about anything
rather sad when I know more than they do and often have to point out there mistakes
give you a run down on how they work
they don't really have a clue what they do except for whats on there script , ask them something that's not on there script or a question that involves a real answer and they are lost
they will find any excuse to not do anything and will hang up on you ( repeatedly )
think talking to a supervisor might help? no they are no better ( had one supervisor say to me " why am I wasting his time") and according to one supervisor they cant be fired so rather telling why they do nothing
so if your lucky and I mean lucky you may get someone who actually knows what they are doing other than that your stuck repeating yourself over and over
they seem to have an obsession with accessing your pc, claim its trouble shooting ( like we cant do anything they can) rather odd how there answer to what they will do to fix anything is check for driver updates ( some drivers not updated since 2015 ) like we cant or haven't done that already other than that there answer varies and usually just babble
they do how ever push there program ( dell tech concierge program) that they claim will fix registry and other issues ( do a search on that program)
they are far too happy for that why?
they will claim at start oh its free not to worry and your issue will be fixed
but the catch is they will than want you to pay for the program ( which seems to find an issue somewhere oddly) the price I see varies from 160 to 250 ish range so cant say exactly what it cost for there program ( bloatware at best)
and if your too much of an disturbance to them they will "escalate" your issue
translation you expect to much and we will do nothing
you get there alledged higher dept. who do nothing but make there excuses and blame you for everything and of course hang up on you
they do not explain anything other than there own propaganda ( my term)
there corp office is no better in fact would say the same result
and they will cancel your warranty if you dare don't do as they want
they love ( all of them) use the excuse " not cooperating" which means nothing more than we ( you ) are not doing what they want how they want when they want or dare expect an answer or help
just my opinion but ever since they went private they have got a lot worse

2017-05-09

Terrible customer service. OK hardware, appalling software.

"Their customer support is complete garage, don't think for a second you are valuable to them, even if being a decade old customer with several dozen systems bought from them. Terrible, completely avoid at all costs, specially if you consider customer support when purchasing."

2017-05-06

Use to be good - now absolutely terrible. Buyer beware

"Dell has significantly lowered the quality of their computers and customer service is beyond terrible. It has been by far the worst purchase mistake of my life. I've had to send it back once within 9 months after customer service fought me the entire time and had no clue what they were talking about. They basically replaced everything in the computer. I now have it back and it's already running slow and having issues again. DO NOT BUY A DELL. They are a terrible company now unfortunately. My old dell from 15 years ago worked good for its time and outlasted my newer asus, lenovo etc. The new dells won't outlast a gallon of milk in your refrigerator! I wish i knew a better company to recommend but i honestly don't know. Just remember this... dude.... don't get a dell. "

2017-05-04

First things first .

"I got a great computer.
I was promised a gift card and week after my purchase come to find out if had to wait for a mouth and phone call after phone being transferred to wrong department to department being hung up on several times days in in a row with such disrespect. After a week of (HELL) they gave me a 8$ gift card they don't even sell anything for 8$ and after giving a 1 star rating now they are blowing my phone up phone call after phone call now the support team wants to do something. If I could I would have a 0 star rating.

2017-04-27

Garbage hardware and poor support

"I've had two Dell monitors -- fairly expensive ones at that. After some regular use, the power cables started disconnecting on their own. You'd have to fiddle with them to get them to stay on. I contacted Dell support and their answer was "sorry, you're SOL. We cant' (won't) do anything for you." What garbage. This is obviously a known issue, and they wont' even suggest a way to fix it. I will never buy another Dell product. "

Richard S. Jacksonville, AR's Avatar

Little Rock, AR
2017-04-18

17 years of IT support nolonger reccomend Dell...

"1st Call April 10th 2017:
I ordered 3 computers for a small business. I was promised some parts by the sales guy. The computers came in and did not have the parts I was promised. I called and it took over 30 minutes for them to decide that they did owe me 1/2 the parts. The other half was a different department..... I was transferred the wrong department; who transferred me to another wrong department; who transferred me to the operator! And the Operator transferred me to another wrong department. I’d spent over an hour and still had not resolved the issue. I had to get **** for the first person to correct the first 1/2 of the issues. I was missing DP to DVI adapters, and the recovery media. They wanted me to buy the DP to DVI adapters that I was told comes with the system (glad they figured out they owe it to me). Now NOBODY seams to know who can help me with the recovery media. Oh and 1 of the computers came in with corrupt OS. So I cant even use it yet because I DON'T have what I ordered, so I can't just reload it myself!!! I was on the phone 2 days before (Saturday) and Tech support didn't even have the computers in the system yet, So they couldn't verify warranty.... #$%@#$% Three day old computers are under warranty! Especially with a 3 year warranty purchased. I still have to call back to get the recovery media.... They did take care of the non booting computer. they are supposed to send me a new hard drive (though recovery media would have done the same thing).... Just ****. I shouldn't have to get **** to get what I was promised. It shouldn't take an hour to get what you are promised.

2nd Call (same day):
Over an 1.5 hours... (over 2hr 45min for both calls). I have lost track of how many transfers after the 13th transfer. After my 2nd over 1hour call I was finally was able to get ahold of a Manager who helped (after arguing they couldn't help). I did have to wait over 24hours for them to approve it.

The parts came in April 11th & 13th (nice quick shipping):
The DP to DVI they sent weren’t the adapters that come with every other Dell I've ordered, they were a full 6’ cable, not a big deal, but did cause me to have to rerun cables through a desk.
In addition, they sent me only 1 of the recovery media. I only need one, due to all the systems being the same, but all three of them were supposed to come with it according to the sales guy. I am fine with one so I am not going to argue with them over two of something I do not need.

Overall:
I’ve been doing IT support for over 17 years, have purchased countless Dells through different contracts over the years, and have always recommended DELL. (1 of my contracts was over 300/year for over 5 years). However, NOT ANY MORE!!!!!! Now I have to go through the trouble of finding another company to recommend to my customers. I cannot have this type of issue when working with customers in the future. Just because I'm a small business, and many of my customers are too. Dell's standard support has NEVER been as bad as it is now. They do have good large business support, but will not recommend someone that doesn’t give the small business the same respect as a large business. I can’t imagine it being worse for a home customer, but probably is…. It is hard to get ahold of a manager, and they absolutely DO NOT care about the regular customer any more. In business, you deliver what you promise, no arguments…. even if it cost you more than your profit. You should always deliver above and beyond customer expectations. If you promise it, you do it!

2017-04-05

No aftersupport

"First of all it's just not me. I have confirmed those defects with my two other friends who purchased the same model and from the day 1st even after resetting, formatting and even after updating windows.
I have Dell Inspiron1300 core i7, 2 in one pc. those laptops have a permanent issue with their display regarding small popup windows or warning message, in built speaker does not respond sometimes for few mili-seconds after plugging in/out the charging. After sometimes they also doesn't respond to plugged external audio devices. Also sometime the main speaker audio goes lower or even got muted for few seconds. USB drive slots are too tight that my one stick still stuck inside one of them.
Other than those hardware, they don't have any better graphic support as well. Even after having high end processor.
Not suitable for graphic processing.
And the worst is, there customer assistance. they really don't care after they sold you this piece. Warranty is no good if you don't have On-Site warranty. And it is worse if you are in United States. Except online chat and hours of phone call you can't do anything about that.
I just sat more than 10 straight hours for my case but still no better, if I were to write my complete review that will take like 1000 more words.
Note: They said that none of those comes under Warranty!
Now, what else I can say?

2017-03-27

Bait and switch on black Friday, order cancelled by them, company full of lying foreigners!

"Briefly, on 11/25/2016 I awoke early and bought a 50 inch Samsung TV from Dell's website for 349.99, after taxes 377.99 (Dell Samsung 50 Inch LED Smart TV U N50J5200AF HDTV) that included 2 day delivery as part of the Black Friday special. After about a week of seeing my order confirmed and processing, it was cancelled. At first their support tried to say my card did not go through. When put through to the vended company that processes their charges, I was told they were informed the order was cancelled by me, so they could not undo it. Of course this was not true. Citibank was able to see that no attempt was made to charge the TV. The account had close to 20,000 dollars of available credit. After about 3 hours total I finally got to a supervisor in sales. His assistant Sayeed Bin Daar gave me the option of buying the same TV over again for a total of 429.83 and a 20 dollar gift card. The supervisor stated that people ordered more TVs than they had. Although I reminded him that many other sites have counters on the page, so you know there is one available when you order and the company can stop selling them, when they run out. This is a classic example of the illegal bait and switch tactic. They tried to sell me an LG TV. I wanted a Samsung TV because it links to my cell phone.

I reordered because if I refused the deal, they said they would cancel the order. It sounded like blackmail. The delivery date has been pushed back many times, including a notice that failure to agree to these delays meant cancellation of the order. The new delivery date is February 17th. All the evidence I see indicates that Dell never intends to deliver the TV I ordered and that was prominent in their advertising for Black Friday. I also do not feel I am the only victim of their bait and switch scam, given the extremely long hold times. I am a long time customer of Dell and know their normal hold times.

The second problem I have had with Dell involves a computer I purchased for my mother. on September 16, 2014. I ordered 3 years of McAfee in addition to on sire service so my mother would have no problems. When I visited over Christmas I noticed that McAfee was frozen and unresponsive. I uninstalled it and when I went to reinstall, a pop up came from McAfee to click and update my virus software. After trying twice I called customer support. They told me I had the wrong download driver. After wasting time doing this, I called back and was told they could fix it but since it was 3rd party software, they needed to charge, I tried to call McAfee who stated it was Dell who sold it, they are responsible, Another call to tech support and they now claim I only ordered one year but could not answer why their own software knew I needed to be updated. Their claim that they could not send any documentation showing I only ordered one year made their claim hard to believe and suspicious, I have since found my original order and it clearly shows three years of McAfree were ordered.

In both cases, Dell put a customer through extended hoops by customer service reps who many times did not convey the truth and/or showed little knowledge of the product in question,

2017-03-27

Dell has crappy hardware

"I've purchased two dell laptops, both dying just in a year. I forget the first model but my 2ND is an inspirion 15 5000 series. There seems to always be problems with the power cable/charger and/or battery. You can plug it in, but there's no supply to the battery. So you can't charge your laptop and have to constantly keep it plugged in to use it. I've also noticed that you have to actually keep the charger in a certain position or your laptop will turn off. Probably some loose wires within the cable itself. This is very frustrating and inconvenien. I've seen many people from online forums having these same issues. Another issue I've had with BOTH laptops is wifi connection. I have to constantly restart my laptop until it connects to the network. All of our other devices can connect just fine, so it's a problem with dell. I've also seen other people having this same issue. I'm thinking it has to do with some wires coming loose on the wifi chip. I can't even connect to the darn Internet through an ethernet cable. This is honestly so frustrating especially when I need to finish work. I am not buying from dell ever again. Never had this amount of problems from anyone else."

Share Dell's store rating

Dell is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Dell is not a merchant member
Dell does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!