• Rating 2.00/10 29 reviews

Compact Appliance is not a merchant member
    Compact Appliance does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • Compact Appliance contact information

• Address: 9101 Wall St. Suite 1080 Austin, TX 78754
    • Contact: customerservice@compactappliance.com
    • Phone: 800-297-6076
    • Customer Support: 800-297-6076
    • Business Hours: 7:00am - 5:00pm CST Mon-Fri
    • Fax: 512-467-2101

"So, this place has great prices on many products. I'm doing a major remodel of my kitchen. I ordered a wine/beer refrigerator, but it was my fault I didn't pay attention--the one I ordered was not meant to be built in. I went to return it, which they were happy to oblige so long as I paid for the return shipping (another note on returns will follow this paragraph). I said okay, took it to FedEx and discovered it would cost me $165 to mail it back. I only paid $300 for the refrigerator, so I decided just to keep it and put it in my office.

A NOTE ABOUT RETURNS: I got free shipping from them--which was very nice; however, with the return, they initially said that I had to reimburse them for the original shipping price, too. I couldn't believe my ears--I didn't find and can't find any notice of this policy on their site. Fortunately, it didn't come to that because they waived that requirement as I bought another fridge that should be built in.

So, 2nd fridge--very nice one--usually about $1200, I got for $799 with free shipping. It arrived quickly. I put it in the garage and waited till we needed it during the remodel. The company has a 60 day no hassle return policy, so when I opened the box I discovered that the entire back of the fridge and support for the motor has been bent--clearly from the shipper dropping it on the back edge.

I called the company to ask to return it because of damage, but they told me I couldn't--the return policy for damage was 48 hours after delivery! They said on the phone that their site made this very clear. When I went looking for it, the site does say it, but there is NO WAY a customer would know to look for that policy about damage, especially since splashed everywhere is their "satisfaction guaranteed."

So, I'm stuck with this dented fridge. Fortunately, it works and the damaged part will be with the built in section of the new kitchen, so it won't look horrible.

Great products, great prices, great FREE delivery, but numerous caveats. Buyer beware.

modified review This review was modified by boarshead on August 12 2013 05:03:29 PM

"I recently bought an air conditioning unit from Compact Appliances/Living Direct. After receiving the unit, I realized it does not work for my apartment and need to return it. On the website it states that Living Direct is a company that values “Commitment to do the right thing.”
After calling customer service to explain the situation I was told I have to pay $130 (15% of the purchase price plus the amount to ship the unit back) to return the unit and that was my only option. I was completely offended by the response from the customer service rep. They were rude and asserted the company would go bankrupt if I was allowed to break the “rules” and return the item. He told me I could buy another item from the website and he could give me a discount on my next purchase. Why would he be able to give me a discount on a new item but not fully refund my purchase?? I was not treated with respect nor did it appear my business was appreciated. I would expect a lot more from a company that is committed to doing the right thing.
When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he told me “I am all you’re going to talk to here, there’s no other person that will speak to you.” He then said he was tired of discussing solutions and hung up on me! I have never been so outraged as a customer. After contacting Brian Ford, he stated his customer service rep went “above and beyond” and said there was nothing additional he could do for me.
I am completely shocked and upset with my customer service experience and how I was mistreated. I completely regret my decision to purchase an appliance from this company and would strongly encourage everyone to take their business elsewhere.

modified review This review was modified by Annie.Fonio on July 16 2013 07:48:46 AM

"Poor customer service, Item was instock gareenteed same day shipping....6 days later it still has not shipped. "

modified review This review was modified by kaptindan on June 19 2013 06:45:30 AM

"I recently TRIED to purchase a outdoor fireplace from compact appliance. After waiting the entire 5 to 7 day shipping period, I noticed that my order status had been cancelled. There was no communication from the company as to why it was canceled.

I got on a live chat with a customer service rep who said that it was canceled do to a pricing error on their end. When i pushed him on the fact that my pay pal account was charged and that is a defacto acceptance of the offer, he cut and pasted a disclaimer which apparently is in their bylaws, which I still can not find on their website, that states they are not responsible for typographical errors in their advertising.

Needless to say, they will not ship the fireplace and my paypal account has still not been refunded.

I would not recommend doing any sort of business with compact appliance.

"After nine days of my order "processing" I cancelled my order and filed a dispute with Paypal. Item was advertised to ship in 3-4 days. The company tries to “trick you” into calling them so their sales reps can sell alternate items. Communication and cooperation is well below the industry online standards!"

"I purchased an Avanti wine frig from Compactappliance.com. They charged my credit card on the date of order and shipped it a week later. The frig came and I opened the box about three weeks after delivery since I was traveling. The frig was completely non-functional and damaged. When I called the company, they informed me I would have to pay shipping back to the company for a replacement since it wasn't opened within two days. When I complained they told me it was my problem. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. What a bunch of scumbags."

"Ordered an Edgestar Air conditioner and was delivered 2 weeks late. The Air conditioner cound not stop leaking. I did not want this junk brand and wanted a full refund. Compactappliance kept stalling and wanting to send a replacement and not a refund. DO NOT SHOP HERE."

"After confirming on BBB.org that the company had an A+ rating, I called to order an outdoor furniture set. Sales rep was very friendly and reassuring and guaranteed that the item was in stock and was going to get to me very quickly. As I found out later, my credit card was charged the same day, but 3 days later, when trying to check my order status, it showed that the set was still in their warehouse. This is not legal to charge the credit card before shipping the order! Another day later I tried calling them on several numbers and after spending about 2 hours listening to a music on hold and not being able to get to an actual person I gave up. Another day later (today) I am trying to log in and the website no longer recognizes my email, stating that no account exists! I do not understand how a company that acts this unethical and illegal and has a non-existing customer service can have such a high rating on BBB! My next review is going there. I would not buy from this company! There is plenty of better operating competition out there!"

"Ordered a RabbitAir purifier from CompactAppliances from their eBay store. Before the order, I asked if I can use PayPal instead of their method and they said yes. They want you to use their custom checkout method instead of the eBay, which can work against you with PayPal in the case of a dispute. I sent the money on Monday, July 19th, the same day I bought the item. I got an email stating I did not send the money, but PayPal says "transaction complete". Days of going back and forth, sending screenshots, transaction numbers, etc, I am still told they do not have the money. PayPal shows a completed transaction and so does my credit card statement. This company will not send my product, nor will they state they received my money, which THEY DO.

I would stay away from these people. Very rude on the phone. How can you say you do not have my money, when it is showing on my statement?

modified review This review was modified by jrdbrn on August 01 2010 02:32:26 PM

"I had paurchased a EdgeStar cooler/freezer from Compact Appliance, model FP-430. It was ordered on 28 Au8g09 and delivered 01 Sep 09. The compressor did not work, everything else seem find except there were quite a few smudges on it like someone may have worked on it but could not tell for sure. I called Compact Appliance and talked to service representative Anthony who was not very polite. I told him what the problem was and asked told him I would like to return it as the compressor did not work and it was shipped upside down which is not good for a compressor. He told me no, that I would have to have it repaired by Edgetar. I asked how come, I thought I was buying a brand new item which was suppose to work; not somethin that needed repair before I could even use it. He said that is the way it is, that Compact Appliance is not responsible for defective merchandise. I did call EdgeStar three days ago and got a voice recording saying to leave your name and number and a description of your product and the problem. To date I have received no call. I never did get to talk to a live person at EdgeStar and when I called again I got the voice recording. To those of you who got your merchandise and it worked as advertised, congratulations. I believe in my case I have lost $494.10 as I expected little or no recoarse. I did file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Central Texas, hopefully they can help."

"I order the Danby Energystar Counter high 4.4 Cu. Ft. DAR440BL All Refrigerator, from this company on the 3rd and got it on today on the 8th, they shipped it out on the same day that i order it! will order from Compact Appliance again.