Stores > Coastal.com

Chance of future purchase: Rating 5.63/10 5.63/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 6.07/10 6.07/10
    Customer service: Rating 5.83/10 5.83/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 9.17/10 9.17/10

"I ordered new glasses in plenty of time to take on extended trip. I was told they would arrive today, the 19th. I received an email after order saying they had been shipped on the 12th. Well, they did not arrive, so I checked tracking number. They were shipped on the 18th not the 12th, 6 days after order and they will arrive after I leave for trip this weekend.
Their customer service (which sounded outside US) would only apologize and not offer any explanation as to ship date discrepancy. Had they been honest as to estimated delivery and when they said they shipped I could have cancelled and gone someplace else.
Do not believe their claim of 3-5 business days for delivery after order. My order was placed on the 10th.

This review was modified by customer5062 on November 19 2015 03:09:15 PM

"I bought progressive lenses from them last year, 11/6/2014, and they made the segment height so high that I had to drive with my head down to see the road in front of me. When I initially called them about this, the representative's response was that they don't customize. I had to explain that these were the same frames that I purchased last year, 2013, and I didn't have that problem. They made this right, but only because my frames were exactly the same from previous year and the segment height was lower. I'd be careful if I purchased glasses with progressive lenses from them."

"Received my glasses in a timely manner and the glasses are great. I docked them because I received a bill today from Fedex for $29.88. The breakdown of the bill is:

Customs Duty: 2.88
USFDA Processing Fee $20.00
Advancement Fee $7.00

Maybe it was my mistake for not researching and learning that coastal.COM is not based in the US. I always assumed that a retail merchant based outside the US would have a country code in their URL. i.e., Coastal.ca

Paid about $110 for the sunglasses and $30 in stupid fees that were not explained. Last time I do business with them

EDIT: Luckily I didn't post this until after I called up Coastal. First I called Fedex and they told me that I can't do anything about the stupid fees and I have to pay it. Then I called up Coastal and a very friendly CSR explained to me it was a mistake in their shipping system and the bill is supposed to go to Coastal and not the customer. She said don't worry about it and she'll take care of it. So I'm a happy camper once again and I'll definitely purchase from them in the future

beec's Avatar

pine bush n.y.

"I ordered a pair of glasses and paid for the super thin lenses, but they are not. In my opinion they took along time to arrive, there different than what was expected and I was never informed that they were being shipped. They seem cheap."

"screwed up my prescription. they did the same thing to my sister. dont waste your money "

"I have ordered my glasses from many online sellers over the years, and I have settled on Coastal.com as my favorite. Their lenses are the best I've found online, and their return process makes it easy to ensure you love your glasses. I ordered my most expensive pair of glasses yet from them in April (Oakleys). Once I received them, I realized that they were much too large for my face, so they sent me a pre-paid shipping label, I sent them back, and they refunded the full purchase price. I've already bought 7 pairs of glasses from Coastal over the past few years, and I'll definitely order from them again with no hesitation."

"I received a prompt reply with good advice!
If I need anything like this again I will surely contact Dr Parker!

"I have had no problems with this company. My glasses shipped quickly and arrived exactly as I expected them to be. I am not sure why the reviews are so bad. There are local places that charge the same amount but I enjoy being able to shop with no lines and taking my time. There is an option to load a picture to "try on" glasses and I find it very helpful. The glasses I ordered where true to the "try on". I have two pairs from here so far. The first I bought lasted 2 yrs and 3 months before they ended up breaking at the nose piece from being adjusted to many times. The second pair lasted a little over a yr in great shape until they got ran over by a car on the highway. (Flew off my face on my motorcycle...Oops). Both pair held up very well to scratches. The first had one small scratch from being dropped with in the 2 yrs (I need a lanyard). The second even run over had minimal scratching. I am impressed with the durability. I see a lot of the negative reviews are for no overnight shipping. I have never tried to rush my order so I do not have an answer on that. Also a huge plus is that my prescription has been the same for yrs and I have not had to send a new prescription from the Dr like most places require. So at any time I can just log on and order new glasses without the added Dr visit bill. I hope this review helps someone."

"For the first time i ordered lenses
Online for
less cost. But what i did not know they dont guarantee any thing. They sent the wrong prescription..they said they would send out the correct ones and that i could not return the wrong prescription. So i am waiting since 2/15 for the right lenses...guess what they never came. After 3 weeks of having the wrong prescription taking up space ..i threw them away and i start calling about the new lenses..now they want them

....monies down the drain..please go with walmart..visual on line but not the coastal

"I ordered contacts on 2/5/15 and requested them overnighted as I was going on vacation and had no contacts. The site says most contacts ship within 48 hours. I assumed that they would arrive by the time I did or shortly after on the 10th. The contacts didn't even ship until the 13th and have an estimated delivery date of 2/27 which is certainly not overnight. I will not even be on vacation anymore. I leave on the 20th. They did not contact me to tell me they were not in stock. What a joke! I will be asking my resort to return them upon receipt and will get my contacts elsewhere."

"Horrible service. I needed contact lenses ASAP so I paid more on Coastal.com than I would have locally because I wanted them for next day delivery. Not withstanding, they didn't send it next day delivery. They are unreliable, unprofessional when you call, and simply a disgrace. You would be better off spending your money elsewhere."

"Alright, so I'll assure you this is a real review by saying yeah, a lot of the other super great reviews looked like they were professionally written and bought. I'll also say you guys had me scared because I didn't see this site until after I ordered.
So, now on to my own review.

Ordering was easy. I like the Webcam feature that you can virtually try on glasses before buying them. I liked the filter options, and how you can add favorites to review later to pick your final choice.
I didn't like the measurement thing. I admit, I have not had glasses for well over a year after my kid bent the crap out of them and I didn't have time to get new ones. I go through Costco, and it takes a week or so to get them there. Problem is that I live nearly 5 hours away from the closest one. Two kids, full time job... you get it. I didn't know the measure thing so I just went with the preset 60mm. I guess it's the average?
Okay, so after I ordered I got the email with a receipt. Good. Was told that when it shipped, they'd email me. Well, that didn't exactly happen as you would think. They emailed the receipt with the tracking function, and a follow up about my order shipping after the fact.
I checked the status daily. The glasses were made quickly. The original delivery date was Feb 10. I was a little off by that since the site said 3-5 says though it was preparing to ship Jan 31. Oh well.
So then I see that the shipping label is made. When I see that status, I freak. Too many times with websites I order from does the item sit in the warehouse for days until someone finds it or I call and complain.
Luckily, that didn't happen. The order actually shipped Feb 2 (two days ago) and I received them today. Imagine my shock. I think it's just because I live so close to WA. Either way, I got it in 2 days.
So then I opened the box. The box is kinda thin and barely taped enough to hold it closed so I was surprised to see everything untouched. It's negative-hell-no cold outside. You'd think something stupid would have happened.
So yeah, I opened it and there was the odd shaped though good quality hard lens case and a plastic button pouch with lens spray, cloth, and tiny screwdriver. It even has a keychain.
Then I'm looking at the frame. Some of you complained about chalky lining or whatnot, but I didn't see anything different than if I had gone to Costco. The lenses were flush with the frame, clean, and the prescription matched as it was supposed to. I tried them on. By first look I thought they would be too small. They aren't. Good guess on my part but I think a couple more mm would have been better. I like the frames. They look better in person. I saw photos online where the glasses frames look like cheap plastic, but it's not. It's like any other frame I would get from Costco.
All in all, it was an ordinary experience. Coastal lived up to its "says so"s, so I'm happy. To those of you with bad experiences, it sucks, I know. If you look on Facebook, they have a page that's actively managed. Leave a complaint there and they'll have you pm them.
Seriously not a phony here. Just saying maybe some negative reviews here are as phony as some of the good ones.

"Ordered two pairs of glasses almost two weeks ago. For the whole duration of time after the order, the tracking number said "shipping label created" until today. I ordered two pairs of glasses and they are being shipped in separate packages!!! WHY?! One pair is in Texas, and the other is held up in US customs in Canada...I live in Boston...This is ridiculous."

"So I ordered my glasses on January 1st (hoping that I would receive them before my birthday which was TWO WEEKS AWAY.) My total was 107.00 with free shipping. After ordering I logged in daily to check the status of my order. On January 4th it said that my order had passed quality inspection and it would be shipped on January 5th. On January 5th I received NO shipping confirmation and saw on my order status that the shipping date how now changed to the 6th, then the next day, it changed to the 7th. The 7th rolls around, still no shipping confirmation and the estimated ship date changed to the 8th. So on the 7th I called "customer service". Customer service? Yeah right. The foreign man on the phone had no helpful information to give besides "It will PROBABLY ship out tomorrow." So today is the 8th, I finally received a tracking number only after typing it in to USPS to find that it had only gotten as far as "shipping label created" WHICH IS PRE-SHIPMENT. Very dissatisfied. I definitely plan on returning them whenever I finally receive them (considering they won't arrive when I need them anyways.) What a waste."

"Coastal.com merchant customer service is worst. Ordered sun glass on thankgiving and lost in transit. I understand that but after that customer service never responded to emails and phone calls for few days. On Dec 10th I asked them for refund but instead processing my refund they placed replacement order. Is it too hard to understand english for you? Never buy from them. Going to file complaint on BBB as well."

Share Coastal.com's store rating

Coastal.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Coastal.com is not a merchant member
Coastal.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!