Product & services pricing Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.21/10 2.21/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 4.23/10 4.23/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.67/10 1.67/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.88/10 1.88/10

"(This is my report to the competition bureau of Canada - Dec. 10, 2014)

In a most recent flyers, Cabela's advertised a Commercial-grade vacuum sealer (15", Item #43771) at the price of $299.99.
I had placed that order along with a number of other items, including consumables (bags) on November 30th. A subsequent email let me know that it was backordered.
I recevied a portion of the order, including the consumable bags.
Today (Dec. 10th) Cabela's notified me by email that the vacuum sealer was no longer available. Additionally, no replacement item would be offered, and my funds would be refunded.
When i called the toll-free number, the representative said that they will not be honoring the flyer item as the item was no longer available due to "high order demand".
I mentioned that a replacement model was listed on their website (model #81740) at a price of $499.99. They mentioned that this item would not be subsituted. I mentioned if this was the policy on the shortage as per their instruction, and they confirmed it was.

This is a classic "bait & switch" type of marketing and is unacceptable in the Canadian marketplace.
I have ad-hoc information that nearly 100 Canadian Consumers have been affected in this exact same way. If you are one that is affected, please contact me so we may consider class-action legal recourse.
(mitchgolay@hotmail.com)
I strongly believe that this company is in violation of the competition act, such that consumers such as myself have suffered the following damages:
1) Acquisition of funds & money without delivery of product.
2) bank-rolling and/or holding of funds for a term without refund of interest on said held funds
3) Delay of consumer purchase from a competitor's list or sale item(s) with false or incorrect advertisement (see Competition Act)
4) Destruction or degredation of wild game quality and/or quantity due to negligence of the Company. (The price of acquisition of wild game is impossible to tabulate)

As a Canadian citizen, consumer as well as business person, i feel this is completely unacceptable for our marketplace. Please investigate, and persecute the applicable partie(s) involved in these LIES and DECEPTION that are uncalled for and unfair to other businesses and consumers.

modified review This review was modified by mgolay on December 18 2014 08:23:13 AM

"Cabela's Fort Worth I stood in line 1 hour and 10 minutes to pay for a shotgun purchase. Had it be for me I would have said forget it but it was for a gift. Management knew they had a long wait but getting you to sign up for a Cabela's credit card was more important than customer service. The two clerks I talked to were Great! This is on management."

"Just got sale paper today and sale does not start until 11/27/14 so I go online to look at sunglasses that were to be on sale and it said SOLD OUT (sale was not suppose to start for two days mind you) I contacted them about it and was told their sorry but the sale started on the 24th and they were all gone. BULLS***!!!!"

modified review This review was modified by brenda62tr on November 25 2014 10:30:11 AM

"Ordered a magazine for my Savage Axis rifle on the 9th. Chose free shipping to store. Stated it would take 5-8 business days for the item to arrive. It is day 7 thought that since the piece is smaller than the palm of my hand it wouldn't take the full 8 days. Low and behold I call to see if it has arrived at the store yet and am told it won't arrive for another two days. So much for 5-8. I cancelled my order out of principle. I hate it when a retailer promises something and doesn't deliver. Something so basic lost them a customer for good. I will keep shopping at Gander Mountain. "

modified review This review was modified by Golffishhunt on November 18 2014 04:16:54 PM

"I'm finished with Cabela's. They sent me two shirts ("Loden" and "Foliage") that would are supposed to be different colors. They're not--they're exactly the same. I called customer service to point out the problem and exchange the shirt for one of a different style. Instead of saying, "Very sorry, we'll ship you that other shirt out today and correct our catalogue," the service person says, "Just return that shirt, fill out the exchange form, and tell them you think you shouldn't have to pay shipping either way." Okay, so I do that.

Shipping notice arrives via email, and I discover they've sent out the wrong shirt. I call Customer service. Lady asks if I just wrote the same item number down for the old shirt, the one I didn't want. "Well, I'm pretty sure I didn't, and I know for sure that I specified what I wanted in the written description on the form."

Then she says, "Our people in the warehouse don't have time to look at the description--they just look at the item number." (Then why, one might ask, does Cabela's require you to include a description?)

Then she asks if I made a copy of the form I sent in. No, I say. I don't make copies of the forms I sent in. The conversation deteriorated from there. With all this pushback from a business that has already screwed up an order twice, I told her simply to cancel the order altogether and that I'd be taking my business elsewhere.

So, Cabela's, if you're listening: if you expect to compete, you'll need to revamp your customer service. Whoever is in charge of it now needs to be shown the door. In my case, this entire problem could have been averted by doing three things:

1) Don't sell the same color under two different names for the same item.

2) When you've made a mistake, take care of it on the phone quickly, w/o asking the customer to do more work.

3) When the customer does do the work to remedy your mistake, don't further antagonize the customer by questioning his or her ability to fill out a form when yet another mistake has been made. There's a reason why your ratings are so low here.

modified review This review was modified by Ronash on November 06 2014 02:07:24 PM

"Tried to exchange a pair of leaky waders at the Green Bay Wis. store last week while hunting in the area The lady at the service desk lacked to explain that Cabelas "lifetime warranty"has changed but instead was rude and offered no discount on another $260.00 pair Expensive product with 1 year warranty doesn't seem like a company who stands behind their hunting gear!"

modified review This review was modified by Benripdoff on November 02 2014 07:43:44 PM

"I ordered an item online and it needed to be returned, no big deal....just wasn't what I expected. BUT their return policy says you will get back the amount you paid, including the tax but not the shipping-fine. Well they only refunded me the cost of the item (actually less than that) and no tax included. I called customer service a couple times and the ppl were okay but no apology given or anything....they just kept repeating how they came to the amount I received back. They never actually addressed it when I quoted their return policy stating you get back the amount you paid, including the tax. Ugh, very frustrating, Maybe I'm wrong but I find their policy quite misleading. The item I ordered was $39.99 before tax, shipping etc. and I got back less than that! Doesn't seem right to me. Not likely to order from them again."

modified review This review was modified by Doug20 on October 31 2014 07:02:46 AM

Laurel, Montana

"I have been shopping at Cabela's in Billings, MT for a while now. My first gripe with the company is some of their sales people. One I had talked to was about the fact that all their rods and reels are made in China, her response was that you have to pay American workers to much. I felt like asking her if she would mind living on what a person in China makes doing her job. The next time I had decided I wanted to buy a Dutch oven and I had already decided on Lodge brand. One because they are a good product and two because Cabela's brand that is made in China has a poor rating, The clerk that waited on me sarcastically said I suppose you have to have an American product. My response was is there something wrong with that. The last straw was I order some CCI 22LR through the internet. The picture shown was copper coated bullets and the ones I received are lead.
I am tired of paying high prices in cabela's for crap made in a communist country. We have to support our own people.

"Online items will show one thing but if you are not careful when you place the order you will get a completely different item."

"It's my first time when i made an order from Cabela's , and definitely won't be the last. I got my fishing reel and braid faster than i expected , not even 2 weeks and it was in Romania with International Surface shipping.Package was perfect , and the products inside looks exacly how was in description , in perfect conditions. I am very satisfied with Cabela's and Customer Services from there . Best price together with shipping for any product !"

modified review This review was modified by Rumorux on October 21 2014 12:17:01 PM

" BEWARE OF CABELA’S NO RAIN-CHECK POLICY! Okay, this is a very narrow review of a recently-opened Cabela’s (Tualatin, OR). While I’ve known about Cabela’s for “decades”, this was my first visit to a Cabela’s store (given the current [to Oct. 5] sales flyer and a store now “only” 80 miles away.). The sale-item I came for (a high-end trail-camera) was out-of-stock. Two different associates told me that Cabela’s does NOT offer rain-checks. (Afterward, I did see that stated in small type on the back page of the flier.) But what a short-sighted policy, huh?! Engendering customer loyalty this is not. Well, others may wish to continue to shop at Cabela‘s, but “methinks” I will choose to go elsewhere in the future.

modified review This review was modified by 98672 on October 06 2014 08:40:02 AM

"I ordered a pair of Timberland boots online from Cabela's on 09/09/14 seeing they had a better price listed than Timberland.com and offered free shipping. The estimated shipping time was said to be 3-6 days but because they were shipping from the manufacturer it could take a few days more. It took nearly two WEEKS not to mention, I was never provided with a tracking number nor the carrier and had no way of tracking my package. In the meantime I contacted both Cabela's and Timberland. Cabela's knew nothing and the only thing they could do was contact the manufacturer and get back to me within 3-4 days. They didn't. I had to contact them again and once again, they knew nothing. Timberland on the other hand, said that it was in fact Cabela's who should provide me with more information. When the boots finally arrived, it turned out they weren't even the boots I ordered. A completely different model and color even though the packing slip from Cabela's had the right information on it. Customer service said they couldn't do anything, they couldn't even find the boots I received and had no idea why I got the wrong pair. They offered a free return shipping label but had no guarantees as to how long it would take for either a replacement or refund. Had to drive over an hour to the nearest Cabela's where I received a full refund just to be sure I wouldn't have to wait another two or more weeks. On the same day, I ordered my boots from Timberland.com - the next day I got a shipping confirmation and tracking number. Will not shop at Cabela's in the future. I'd rather pay the extra amount and be guaranteed a good service."

modified review This review was modified by mhannas on September 29 2014 11:52:28 AM

"I am very disappointed in my recent experience from Cabela's. I had ordered a winter coat for my daughter and was sent by the mistake of the company the wrong color coat. I called regarding the issue and was told to put on my return slip reason 47 (received the wrong item) and do not bill for return shipping. Today in an email I got confirmation they had received my return, but still charged me the return shipping amount.
When I had called to report the problem with my coat, the customer service agent seemed to be unknowledgeable of the procedure of Cabela's, he said all he could do was give me free shipping...no other discounts due to their error in shipping me the wrong product. But he could make sure I was not charged return shipping on the coat that was sent by mistake. Normally, in transactions I have had in the past, any company I have dealt with always makes a little extra effort to make my next purchase more appealing because they want to keep my business, by offering extra incentives, etc., NOT Cabela's, they not only made me feel like I was a nuisance to them when calling, but made me pay for the return shipping. I did have the service rep reorder the coat my daughter originally wanted and received free shipping, but I feel like they did not put forth the extra effort to make my previous transaction right without penalizing me. I am very disappointed in how my issue was resolved, although we did end up receiving the originally ordered coat, I feel like I was still taken advantage of in the process of having to return and pay for the shipping to get a partial refund back. Cabela's needs to make some changes in how their customers are treated.

modified review This review was modified by IMNOT2HAPPY on September 25 2014 07:51:31 AM

Cabela's User

"Very disappointed.... After much saving and researching the Tundra hip boots, I decided to purchase Cabelas version over others. One factor being the good products and customer service I have experienced with them in the past. When I placed the order, it showed them available, but later I was informed they were back ordered, then later I was informed they were discontinued, but a new more expensive version was available. Of course the new version had no reviews, and were unrated. When contacting customer service, their attitude was that it was my problem, not theirs. Never mind the several thousand dollars worth of purchases I have made in the past year. I guess my expectations were too high......."

"Shocking service http://www.cabelas.com
Made an order on the sounder. Paid, the seller has blocked the purchase amount. Then I received a letter from the store that the order be canceled because they can not receive confirmation from the bank. I contacted the bank, they said that there were no problems with their hand and gave me no operation code to transfer it to the seller. I gave the code to seller, they again turned on "idiot", if not how it can help me.
I asked the managers Cabela's when they unlock my money ? The answer is that in a few days. It's been 5 days, money is locked. Once again, I contacted Cabela's, asked about blocking money, they replied that they could not help me, because do not have such information.

When I asked who is competent in this matter and can help me, the manager just stopped communicating with me ....

P.s. If anyone doubts my word, I can provide correspondence with the managers of Cabelas. By the way, Amazon refunds for the canceled order on the same day.

modified review This review was modified by Maxim.Panin on August 12 2014 04:14:09 PM

Cabela's is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Cabela's is not a merchant member
Cabela's does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!