• Bulk Apothecary

Chance of future purchase: Rating 7.27/10 7.27/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 6.14/10 6.14/10
    Customer service: Rating 6.11/10 6.11/10

2015-06-06

"I ordered from this company once in 2013. Two years later, I have not received my entire order. What I did receive was okay--mango butter was poured into a jar and was almost impossible to get out; grapeseed oil was rotten; but whatever, it was cheap. I ordered a small amount of plastic jars and they never came, not after a phone call, not after an email. I've thought about reporting them to BBB but I know in reality that $2 worth of stuff is pointless to complain about. I just wonder, if they fail to ship $2 worth of stuff from every person who orders, how much are they making each year? I'm sure it's substantial."

2015-04-22

"First time customer here!! Order arrived in 2 days!! Very satisfied with fair prices, quick shipping , excellent condition. Haven't used the products yet but I can't wait to.
Called customer service with a question and received a prompt, friendly answer from a real person! :-)"

This review was modified by 1111wishfactory on April 22 2015 01:07:58 PM

2015-04-09

"I have had a great experience with them. It only took 4 business days, ordered late on day 1 and received my products early in the morning on day 4. The prices can't be beat!!! Packaging was safe and secure, plenty of padding on the bottles. Shipping is a little high, but I still saved way more than getting it at my local store. I will absolutely buy again and probably never from anywhere else!!"

2015-03-13

"I have to say this is the worst experience I've ever had ordering from any company. I placed an order on February 26th of this year, 2015. The order totaled $838 and some change. I was very excited about receiving the products for my small business start-up. I receive 2 disappointing emails before I made contact. Neither led me to believe anybody was doing anything to get my order out. I contacted the company by email and phone and, now, live chat. I've been told lies repeatedly. I received a small part of my order, which totaled less than $100, yesterday, March 12th. Now when I try to track it, it says that it has been delivered. Where is the rest of my order??? I'm extremely frustrated and will take legal action if they don't resolve this very soon."

This review was modified by Hopelicious on March 13 2015 09:37:01 AM

2015-03-01

"I have ordered several times from Bulk Apothecary over the last year, and have gotten good results. My orders included hundreds of dollars of base oils as well as hundreds of dollars worth of essential oils and fragrance oils. So far I have had almost all perfect shipments except for one slightly leaky bay rum FO, which might have been affected by extreme temp change this winter. Since the issue was very small, I did not complain. I am finding the quality of the base oils and essential oils to be tops. Two of the FOs seemed sharp to me, but that is personal taste. Other people seem to like them a lot.
This company ships fast, has reasonable prices, and packs pretty well. I intend to keep buying from them. I hope that they put applicable MSDS pdfs online for their products for people to download. That might help for their customers in more regulated states. "

2015-02-23

"Bulk Apothecary is all about the quantity of crap they can schlep off on customers. Quality does not come into their business model at all. Both transactions I've had with them were abysmal. The first time they shipped the wrong products and I had to threaten to protest the charges with my credit card company before they'd make it right. Several years passed & I decided to give them a second chance. I placed a $400 order & paid for 2-day shipping. The order arrived 2 weeks later and my call to customer service was a joke. Then the oils arrived in metal containers. That is sooo risky and unprofessional. The oils are marginal at best. Poor service, rude interactions, repeat problems. Don't make a mistake with them. They are not to be trusted."

2015-02-21

"I was concerned about my order after I read several of the negative reviews, but I had a great experience with Bulk Apothecary. I am very happy with the items I purchased. My package arrived in 4 days and this was in the same week the east coast was hit with a lot of snow and ice. There was no delay! My essential oils were packaged very well. They contacted me via email that one product was out of stock and submitted a credit back to my account. I will order from Bulk Apothecary without hesitation!"

This review was modified by lrc1977 on February 21 2015 05:37:04 AM

2015-02-06

"Well I ordered from here and my supplies arrived exactly a week later from the processing date. My materials were packaged well and I'm happy with the results. "

This review was modified by lillianward20 on February 06 2015 09:34:26 AM

2015-01-19

"01/18/2015

I'd first like to say that I was not asked to write this review nor am I affiliated with Bulk Apothecary (BA) in anyway other than being a buyer. I have used Bulk Apothecary for my home based skin care business for over one year now. They are my "go to" supplier for oils, butters, eco-soya wax (I also make candles), molds, and essential oils. I am surprised to read the negative reviews posted here. I have never written a review to counter the negatives, but in this case I feel I must as Bulk Apothecary products are of high quality, cost effective, and the customer service I received was excellent contrary to some of the reviews listed here. While I typically buy from three US suppliers for various items, I have found the quality and cost of BA's products has helped for me to stay competitively priced in a poor economy allowing for the average person to afford my products.

1. Price & Quality: I researched companies for three months for cost comparisons and quality before committing to suppliers for my home based business. BA is the most cost effective for raw oils, butters, waxes, and most essential oils even when calculating shipping costs. I have purchased the 76 degree coconut oil 40 lbs several times, a number of 16 oz. sweet almond oil, avocado oil, apricot kernel seed oil, grapeseed oil, and shea olein oil, 16 oz. and 8 lb. cocoa butter and shea butter, 50 lb block of palm oil several times, bulk Eco-Soya wax, 8 lb. Liquid Aloe on several occasions, as well as various essential oils: lavender 40/42, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Fir Needle, Cedarwood, Rosemary, Chamomile, and others and have found the quality to range from very good to outstanding. Informative descriptions and uses are usually included with all of their raw products.

2. Shipping: As I previously stated, even with seemingly high shipping prices when combined with cost break down of products it still amounts to a significantly lower price than other suppliers. I suggest buying in larger weight quantities to offset shipping costs. It is more expensive to order one or two things that are light in weight bringing your overall cost up noticeably. I use coupons from BA to offset shipping costs which anyone can use and can be found at coupon sites. You can also obtain an automatic 15% off of your order with a purchase of $250 or more.

3. Customer Service: I have always had decent shipping times. It has NEVER taken longer than a week for me to receive my order. I live in upstate NY and their headquarters are in OH. I had to call customer service on only one occasion when I ordered a 50lb solid block of palm oil, they had sent me the 40 lb pail (remarkably there is only a few cents difference between the two, the 40 lb. comes in a pail and the 50 lb. comes in a solid wrapped block boxed). I called them a few days after I received my order and they shipped the 50lb block of palm oil to me free of charge and allowed me to also keep the 40 lb. block. I'd say that's outside the norm and very fair and is why I rate their customer service excellent! I received the 50 lb. block within 4 days.

With all of this being said, you now see why I am very surprised at some of the horrible reviews here. One must also keep in mind (read their company history and about them) that they started off as a brick and mortar store, but have had exponential growth in a short period of time, which may have caused some customer service problems mentioned in some of these reviews due to a change in operations and procedures which I assume is to be expected with a company that goes from brick and mortar to a full fledged warehouse practically overnight.

I love BA and I'm sure you will too!"

This review was modified by lschulz101 on January 19 2015 01:47:40 PM

2015-01-15

"I am a very satisfied repeat customer of Bulk Apothecary. Their products are of extremely high quality as well as their customer service. And shipping is lightning fast! They are a step above the rest. I find it comforting to be able to do business with a company that still cares about customer satisfaction. It's a rarity these days. Two thumbs way up, BA!!!! I will keep coming back."

This review was modified by Every1knowsitsWendy on January 15 2015 06:13:24 PM

2015-01-10

"I ordered from Bulk Apothecary during a rather busy time for them, and when I called to check on the fulfillment of the order, I was given a specific date by which it would ship. They did ship it on that day. However, when it did not appear in the UPS system for three days, I contacted them again to see how long it generally takes to get tracking info.

Since there was no record of the package after it left their warehouse, they immediately replaced the order and it went out that same day. In addition to that, they refunded my original shipping charge for the inconvenience.

Today, the original package arrived. Bulk Apothecary shipped it when they said they did, and the UPS tracking system somehow failed. I have contacted Bulk Apothecary to see how I can return the duplicate order since I did not pay for it.

They have certainly proven to be a fair and reputable business in my transaction with them.

This review was modified by Gardengirlone on January 10 2015 10:35:42 PM

2015-01-01

"I researched their 'brick and mortar' address, which BULK APOTHECARY claims is: 125 Lena Drive, Aurora, OH 44202. On "Bulk's" homepage, they claim they've been at this brick and mortar address since 2010 but as of 2012, there is a youtube video declaring that this huge warehouse address is vacant and ready for occupancy. This company's physical address is fake so I'm guessing their products are probably fake as well. Who charges under $7 for 2 ounces of argan oil? If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true. So sorry for those who have been ripped off by this company. In fact, they probably charge so much for freight because you'll never be able to dispute those charges. This company is a rip off scam!"

2014-12-31

"After reading so many negative reviews I was pretty nervous while waiting for my order to arrive. I ordered it on a the weekend after Christmas and recieved it at my door only 3 days later! The items were packaged well and exactly what they were advertised to be. The prices were great and although the shipping seemed steep, after some comparing of other suppliers I found their cost to be the same or slightly less than similar sites, however their product prices are significantly less expensive. Overall I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase and look forward to doing business with them again. "

2014-12-20

"My ordered arrived yesterday in a timely manner and nicely packaged. After reading some of the reviews I decided to check the weight of my cocoa butter. Turns out 8 pounds of cocoa butter weighs 7 pounds when you buy it from Bulk Apothecary. And yes, my digital scale has been calibrated."

This review was modified by txsdebi on December 20 2014 08:39:41 AM

2014-12-04

"Terrible Terrible Terrible - placed an order for $30.98 worth of essential oils on 10/29/14 and I still do not have them. I've contacted the company twice and have been assured that my order would be prioritized and shipped, yet I still do not have it. I paid a 39% shipping fee of $12.00, which is ridiculous. I will NEVER do business with this company again. I'm just glad that I only ordered a small amount of product to test them out first. They do not communicate proactively with their customers regarding orders. You have to go to them to find out the status of your order. Not sure how this company stays in business with such poor service."

This review was modified by lisariley-3706 on December 04 2014 09:11:04 PM

Share Bulk Apothecary's store rating

Bulk Apothecary is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Bulk Apothecary is not a merchant member
Bulk Apothecary does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!