Product & services pricing Rating 6.32/10 6.32/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.79/10 2.79/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10

"I ordered a Calculus textbook from book renter, but it was never delivered to me because apparently my address was an "undeliverable address." I've used the same address for all my online purchases, and there has not been any issues except with book renter.
Nonetheless, the customer service team was very helpful and was able to re-assure me that the book would be sent back to the warehouse, and issued a full re-fund for me.
The customer service is excellent, you just have to be diligent and not assume that they'll do things for you automatically. Just call them/chat with them to explain your situation, and your problems should be resolved. I chatted with a customer service agent today to ask for my refund to be pushed through, and it was done immediately. I can't complain about their customer service.

modified review This review was modified by bellalewis19 on October 20 2014 10:28:30 AM

"shipped very fast but too much highlights and writing in the textbook. Sometimes it's not readable."

"Very Unhappy.
Charged my credit card $15 for a book that was damaged in transit.... Both books returned in the same box but bookrenter.com claims one was water damaged and stained.
They could care less. Don't rent books from bookrenter.com.

"Awful customer service, and I was sent a defective book for my rental with no refund or replacement options!!!! DO NOT RENT FROM BOOKRENTER"

"I needed to order text books for my son a few weeks after school started so we needed to get them asap. Purchasing them at the school bookstore would have cost at least double what we found online. My only 2 online choices were BookRenter and Campus Book Rentals. They were about the same price, but Campus Book Rentals couldn't ship a couple of books for 2 weeks. I had read some scary reviews on BookRenter and was hesitant to use them, but went ahead and ordered because they could ship the books in 3 days. I placed the order on a Tuesday and received them that Friday, The books are in excellent condition. I'm happy with BookRenter and will use them again."

modified review This review was modified by kruegmom on September 23 2014 08:48:03 PM

"They also Charged my daughter $163 for a book for damage. She called and they would not help her, told her there was water damage. I called and very calmly described the situation, and asked for them to refund as she had not done the damage. They DID refund her $.

When she called they wouldn't, when I called they did. They probably try to take advantage of young poor college students who may not have the experience with confronting companies.

I asked how to prevent? take pic before use? Larry replied that if there is notable damage, call and document it with them before using it.

They did the right thing for us but I don't respect them based on our experience and the other comments below

modified review This review was modified by protectivemom on September 17 2014 12:40:54 PM

"I just ordered 2 books from book renter last week Wednesday. They came yesterday, and even though they are used they are in real l good condition. I had an amazing experience with this company and my tracking number worked perfectly. I am so happy to start using my books. I was sceptical after reading the bad reviews on other sites but I'm glad I took the risk. I hope my return experience is just as good!!! "

modified review This review was modified by Bitter on September 17 2014 04:48:46 PM

"Awful company, please do not order from them. Ordered my book on aug 22 and should of been here the LATEST sept 5. It did not arrive on the 5th, so I called to get another one sent out. This shouldn't have happened in the first place. It is now sept 15 and the second one shipped should of been here sept 11 because they put the fastest shipping possible. I call today and it says I returned the book? And there's 28 calls ahead of them? They are honestly awful. Never renting from here again. "

BookRenter User

"I rented an Art History textbook for $17.72 and opened the book ONCE throughout the entire course. When I returned it (in the same exact condition I received it in), I was charged $97 as a "damage fee." After about a dozen emails passed back and forth I finally got my money back, but I will never be renting from them again."

BookRenter User

"Avoid BookRenter like the plague!!
Their name should be BADRenter.
Where ARE the books I rented? BookRenter has no idea nor do they care. They told me to go out and buy the books since I did not receive the rented textbooks. Customer Service? Nope. Nonexistent. Only call them if your practicing deep breathing and patience. Eight week semester into week three and still without books, but BookRenter has the money for the rental(of coarse). Save time and aggravation by avoiding BookRenter!

"My book did not arrive at all

Poor customer service

Did not give me a refund

"The book I received was not in good condition at all, and even though it was in the name of the book, connect plus was not included. It was not at all worth the money I spent to rent it, so I sent it back. I may have tried renting from here again, because your refund policy seemed good, but after viewing it closer, it says it will take over a month for me to get my refund. I will not be trying this site again, and will defiantly not recommend it to my classmates."

"DO NOT PURCHASE BOOKS FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I ordered 4 books total and the arrival was fine. I went to print a label for the *free shipping* return and it was a UPS label but the page text clearly stated the label could be used at USPS, UPS or FedEx so that's what I went by. I get to USPS and the desk agent tells me they only ship for free to this company "sometimes", I ended up paying $11.96 out of pocket for return shipping media mail plus the materials. Contacted bookrenter.com to explain and a representative was nice enough to extend the rental a few days during a chat plus told me in writing that he would inform the warehouse to look out for my package since it wouldn't be arriving with the pre-printed label. I have the USPS receipt and tracked the package online with www.usps.com, due date was not until 08/14/2014. The books were SCANNED AND DELIVERED on 08/04/2014 per the online tracking plus a confirmation email from a USPS representative but around 8/11 the system still showed my books as *renting*. ALL of the reviews about the inept customer service are right on the mark. I've been back and forth a dozen times in the same email with about 5 different reps and each one gives me a generic spiel about their return policy stating they aren't liable if the return is done differently even when there's documented proof that their own representative assured me it would be fine (I've kept a copy of the chat AND all email correspondence). First they claimed the box couldn't be located, then they claimed the 11lb 6oz box arrived EMPTY, now their back to the original claim that it never arrived at all. WTH?! Then they offered me some nonsense buyout option for books that have already been returned and closed one book "out of courtesy". IM NOT PAYING YOU FOR ITEMS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN RETURNTED, ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! My credit card company has already been alerted to kick back any and all charges from this shady excuse for a business and I will NOT be paying them one thin dime for items that have ALREADY BEEN RETURNED WITH DOCUMENTATION! The whole experience has been outrageous and I'm sure after a few automatically extended rental cycles to extort more money that isn't owed they will attempt to send the account to collections. BRING IT! All of the documentation saved will be sent to the credit bureau to dispute that fraudulent claim. People use chegg, knetbooks or anyone else besides this company for book rentals! Trust me
Bookrenter.com Customer Service Representatives by Name:
Luis - the only helpful person from the original chat
Jhuanta, Nathan, Sade and Juan - HORRIBLE

modified review This review was modified by Persephone32 on August 20 2014 01:12:37 PM

"A friend told me about the site. I ordered one book to test them out, the book looked almost new. The second time that I order one of the books look pretty damaged. I called they offered me a replacement, but I said no since the book was still in usable shape. Forgot to return the books on time and was worried about the late fee, but I called and this girl gave me a free extension. Will keep using. Another friend had a bad experience with them but that was because he drop off the book at the post office even though it was a UPS label."

modified review This review was modified by Michaelcorona on July 10 2014 11:21:01 PM

"I ordered 4 books from book renter!! I paid an extra $25 for 2 day shipping and did not receive my books in 2 days!! That was my only disappointment!"

BookRenter is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

BookRenter is not a merchant member
BookRenter does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!