Stores > BookRenter

Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.45/10 1.45/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.13/10 0.13/10

2016-06-25

Shady Practices

"I returned a book that I had rented from Bookrenter.com in February as I was supposed to. In March I received a $174 charge on my credit card and they sent me an email saying it was returned damaged. Because they were going to charge me for the book, I told them I would like the book back at that time. They agreed to return the book but I received the book back on June 24th - 3.5 months later and this was obviously after they had rented it for a semester. "

This review was modified by Jamie1111 on June 25 2016 06:23:40 AM

2016-06-20

Ripped Off

"Twice now they claim they never received rented books that I returned, so I got charged for not only the rental fee, but the cost of the books as well. They even claimed that I never printed the return paperwork, which I most certainly did! Oh how I wish I had hung onto my shipping receipt longer! Although since they claim that I never printed the return paperwork, I don't know if that would have solved the problem or not. I will never use them again."

This review was modified by Ann64 on June 20 2016 09:00:07 AM

2016-05-31

Scam Artists

"Beware if you rent from this company. They send damaged books to you and when you return them in the same condition they will charge you for the existing damage. I will never use them again."

This review was modified by BCWarrior88 on May 31 2016 12:27:31 PM

2016-05-27

SCAM!!!!!! DO NOT BUY OR RENT

"I received a rented book in the mail from book renters.com. I noticed it had some water damage, but I didn't return it because I needed the book for a class and didn't want to get behind on my class assignments. I figured that the person before me had spilled water on it, but I was still able to read the text so I just used it for the semester. Well, when I returned it the company charged me $130.06 for damages that I DID NOT DO and still charged me the $23.31 for the rental. When I called and complained they said, they could do anything for me. When I asked them, "Can you send me back the book so you guys won't scam another poor student." They said we will charge your account $10 for shipping it back to you. I was like OMG REALLY you already overdraw my account! I can't afford for you guys to do this to me.

2016-05-26

It Shipped WHEN?!?!?

"I placed an order on May 16th and I received an email from BookRenter on May 17th stating that my order was shipping. The email provided a shipping number and it was being shipped via USPS Priority 3 Day. On May 23rd I checked on my shipment and it was still in "Pre-Shipment" status. To me, it appeared that the shipment had not moved at all. I was especially concerned because it was supposed to have been shipped 3-day priority mail and I had not received it 5 business days after getting the shipment email. When I contacted customer service they were all but helpful and just kept telling me that the order "has until the 27th to arrive" and could not explain why I received an email stating that it was shipping 3-day on May 17th and still had not received. I again contacted them on May 25th because it was AGAIN still showing "Pre-shipment" status with the tracking number provided with no movement on the shipment and still no answer on why the item had not arrived. Today is May 26th and it still has not arrived. They insist it will be here by the 27th and cannot do anything to help until after the 27th (which is conveniently a Friday) and as of today, there is still no movement on the shipment. Word to the wise, go with another company who properly ships and tracks your orders or you could end up like me with an assignment due and no books! I also had to pay for shipping because I am in Alaska. I have no problem paying for shipping, but only if the package actually gets shipped and arrives in a timely manner."

This review was modified by Mightyern on May 26 2016 01:10:19 PM

2016-05-25

Don't Do It.

"They sent me a damaged book that was literally taped together. The material was legible, yes, but it was barely holding together. Then, when I returned it, they accused ME of damaging the book, and charged me a $15 fee.

If you want to get a damaged book, and then pay for damages you didn't cause, by all means use them. However, I'll not be falling for it again.

This review was modified by daniel6tillman on May 25 2016 10:52:23 AM

2016-03-09

DO NOT BUY FROM BOOKRENTER THEY ARE TERRIBLE!!!

"I ordered a textbook from BookRenter that I needed for a graduate class. For some reason the book did not get delivered and the tracking # online stated "contact the sender." I had a chat with a rep that told me if it still wasn't delivered in a few days BookRenter would expedite the book to me. When it wasn't redelivered I had another chat with a rep on a Friday who told me the book was being expedited so I informed him that if for some reason I could not get the book in the next few days to let me know and I will purchase from another company. The BookRenter rep assured me the order was being expedited and went as far to say "I guarantee the book will arrive by Wednesday". About 10 minutes later I checked my email and there was a message from BookRenter stating, "my order had been cancelled". Thinking this was some kind of mistake I again contacted BookRenter and was told that the book was out of stock. This particular rep could not give me a straight answer on how the order went from being expedited to cancelled in less than 10 minutes plus why the previous rep did not tell me the order was out of stock. I then mentioned that the book I ordered was being returned to BookRenter so it should arrive within the next day or two therefore can they just resend the book and the rep told me no. They the rep tells me that the book was in stock but the price had changed to 5 times more than what I paid. I wish I would have read all the negative reviews before I even dealt with BookRenter. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!! "

This review was modified by Jerravic on March 09 2016 09:45:51 AM

2016-03-08

Terrible Customer Service!

"We rented from here and returned the book. It has gotten stolen/lost in the mail and we have repeatedly sought to find the book and resolve the issue. Without warning, we started receiving no response from Bookrenter, just a debt collection notice for the book. Customer service has been no help to us in our communication with them. We no longer have the book , and are being charged the full price of almost $400. Do NOT rent from here!!"

2016-02-18

Good Shape, Good Price, & Fast Shipping

"BookRenter was able to provide me with a book I desperately needed, quickly. The rental was at a great price and was much easier than going to the campus bookstore (more cost efficient as well)."

2016-02-04

Be Careful - No flexibility

"I ordered a book and class was canceled. Unfortunately it was past the 21 days and it was my fault I ordered too early. They would not even provide a partial refund on a rental. They have no flexibility when it comes to their customers. I will not order from them again and learned my lesson."

This review was modified by patruta on February 04 2016 04:13:52 AM

2016-02-01

this place ****

"I rented a physics textbook and needed the supplemental access. The title even says Physics: Principles With Applications Plus MasteringPhysics with eText -- Access Card so I assumed it had it. Got the book today and it doesn't have it. On the website, apparently it says not all books have the supplemental. First of all, I didn't see that. Second of all, it says some doesn't come with it, so which ones do exactly? I called them and they'll refund the money except for shipping costs since it's "not the website's fault". It kind of is when it says it has it in the title. Don't go here."

This review was modified by taylorrenae on February 01 2016 03:37:50 PM

2016-01-28

Worst book renting website - do not order from here!

"I ordered a book, and they sent me the wrong one. I was told that I could either get the right book expedited to me for free or receive a refund. I said I wanted the book expedited to me since I needed it for a test coming up. They ignored me, and issued me a refund but did not refund me for shipping. They told me to order the book again, and that I would have to pay for the $20 expedited shipping myself. They made two mistakes, neither my fault, and did not seem to care at all. "

2016-01-26

DO NOT RENT FROM HERE

"These idiots say that I returned the wrong book (which is not even possible because I only took one class this semester). Their costumer service is horrendous! I called in and they claimed they received a nursing book (again this is impossible). They now refuse to email me back and when I call in they say there is nothing they can do. This is ludicrous and I warn anyone to AVOID RENTING FROM HERE! The possibility of them screwing you over and charging you for a book is very likely... If they did it to me they could do it to anyone. I have rented from so many places and have never had this problem. After hours of trying to fight this, I'm just taking it as a $100 lesson and hopefully this review saves anyone else from the stress and money they caused me! :("

2016-01-26

Very unprofessional and unreliable

"I ordered 3 books off of BookRenter and 20 days later my books had still not gotten here. I emailed customer service and got a very vague response saying they have until the 25th for it to be considered on time and it was the 25th. They ignored that I had gotten an email from them saying they had been delivered. I called customer service and was not able to get ahold of a representative, so I left a message asking for them to call me... No call. No email back. I just got an email about 2 days later that all three books were returned and I was refunded the money, but was still charged for shipping. Do not order from BookRenter. "

This review was modified by sevitts on January 26 2016 09:30:05 AM

2016-01-22

NEVER RENT FROM HERE--THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!!!!

"They completely screwed me. I followed their instructions exactly and they charged me to buy the book because their label didn't work. They are liars. They are thieves. They are idiots. Do not rent from here. They are just as likely to screw you are they were me. Find somewhere else. Anywhere is better than here. The only reason I gave them one star is because 0 stars wasn't an option."

Share BookRenter's store rating

BookRenter is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

BookRenter is not a merchant member
BookRenter does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!