Product & services pricing Rating 6.50/10 6.50/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.00/10 3.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.50/10 1.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

"DO NOT PURCHASE BOOKS FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I ordered 4 books total and the arrival was fine. I went to print a label for the *free shipping* return and it was a UPS label but the page text clearly stated the label could be used at USPS, UPS or FedEx so that's what I went by. I get to USPS and the desk agent tells me they only ship for free to this company "sometimes", I ended up paying $11.96 out of pocket for return shipping media mail plus the materials. Contacted bookrenter.com to explain and a representative was nice enough to extend the rental a few days during a chat plus told me in writing that he would inform the warehouse to look out for my package since it wouldn't be arriving with the pre-printed label. I have the USPS receipt and tracked the package online with www.usps.com, due date was not until 08/14/2014. The books were SCANNED AND DELIVERED on 08/04/2014 per the online tracking plus a confirmation email from a USPS representative but around 8/11 the system still showed my books as *renting*. ALL of the reviews about the inept customer service are right on the mark. I've been back and forth a dozen times in the same email with about 5 different reps and each one gives me a generic spiel about their return policy stating they aren't liable if the return is done differently even when there's documented proof that their own representative assured me it would be fine (I've kept a copy of the chat AND all email correspondence). First they claimed the box couldn't be located, then they claimed the 11lb 6oz box arrived EMPTY, now their back to the original claim that it never arrived at all. WTH?! Then they offered me some nonsense buyout option for books that have already been returned and closed one book "out of courtesy". IM NOT PAYING YOU FOR ITEMS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN RETURNTED, ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! My credit card company has already been alerted to kick back any and all charges from this shady excuse for a business and I will NOT be paying them one thin dime for items that have ALREADY BEEN RETURNED WITH DOCUMENTATION! The whole experience has been outrageous and I'm sure after a few automatically extended rental cycles to extort more money that isn't owed they will attempt to send the account to collections. BRING IT! All of the documentation saved will be sent to the credit bureau to dispute that fraudulent claim. People use chegg, knetbooks or anyone else besides this company for book rentals! Trust me
Bookrenter.com Customer Service Representatives by Name:
Luis - the only helpful person from the original chat
Jhuanta, Nathan, Sade and Juan - HORRIBLE

modified review This review was modified by Persephone32 on August 20 2014 01:12:37 PM

"A friend told me about the site. I ordered one book to test them out, the book looked almost new. The second time that I order one of the books look pretty damaged. I called they offered me a replacement, but I said no since the book was still in usable shape. Forgot to return the books on time and was worried about the late fee, but I called and this girl gave me a free extension. Will keep using. Another friend had a bad experience with them but that was because he drop off the book at the post office even though it was a UPS label."

modified review This review was modified by Michaelcorona on July 10 2014 11:21:01 PM

"I ordered 4 books from book renter!! I paid an extra $25 for 2 day shipping and did not receive my books in 2 days!! That was my only disappointment!"

"AWFUL customer service. I bought a book from them and they sent me another person's order! They told me there was nothing they could do for me and they couldn't even send me the correct book but they did ask if I could send the wrong book back. I highly doubt it will make it to the right person. It would probably be better If I personally sent it to the person. DO NOT USE THEM. They are a scam. Yes, the prices are low but the low price doesn't mean anything when you get the wrong book and the company does nothing to make it right. "

modified review This review was modified by tayyb12 on May 16 2014 09:00:34 AM

"Claim they never received my book back, continued to charge almost 200 in late fees without any sort of contact with me. Rented book in May of 2013, returned shortly after the semester ended. Thought that was the end of it. Almost one year later I happened to notice a charge of 8.77 on my account from BOOKRENTER. Didn't have a clue what it was so I went back and checked my account with Book Renter. Not only did they claim to never received my book they had been charging an extension fee of 8.77 x 18 for the last year. Customer service was NO help, all they kept asking for was my tracking number. I'm sorry but I am not going to keep a tracking number for a year"

modified review This review was modified by grizzoo on April 25 2014 10:10:41 AM

"Do not rent from BookRenter! I would give them zero starts if I could. I ordered a book way in advance and I got a great discount from them, only to discover after a month that they didn't have the item in stock so they cancelled my order and expected me to pay 100 times more (literally, from $20 to $200) for the same item. Costumer service was no help at all. "

modified review This review was modified by vushi25 on January 21 2014 11:00:16 AM

"They sucks. Do not buy from this site... I Order four books jan 2 and didnt receive till 16. They told me to wait every time I called in. Also, told me to check my post office and post office people told me that they never receive any thing while tracking the number provided by them. When i ask to refund money said i can return those books and get refund afterr i receive them... Do not rent from them."

modified review This review was modified by bhupe123 on January 16 2014 10:13:29 AM

"DO NOT RENT FROM BOOK RENTERS/KENTBOOKS!! I was 2 days late on returning my book, they took the full amount of the book ($140) out of my account with no warning. It over drafted my checking account and were very rude and refused to refund them. I will NEVER rent from them ever again. I have rented from Chegg.com many times and never have they done anything like that before. Please learn from my mistake and DO NOT RENT FROM BOOK RENTERS/KENTBOOKS."

modified review This review was modified by Renee1223 on January 11 2014 06:55:25 PM

"I am not a happy customer of Bookrenter.com.

Ordered a book and called back before the item shipped to cancel the order. Was told by a customer service rep (who was a bit rude) that the order cannot be cancelled. My only option is to wait for the book to arrive and then return the book for a refund (less shipping costs and applicable taxes).

My advice, stay away. Serving customers is not their priority, they only care about taking your money. I will never use them again!!

modified review This review was modified by Fcinthcrwd on January 09 2014 11:58:10 PM

"Was redirected from school website to purchase books from bookrenter.com. Received brand new books (purchased at brand new price) without supplemental material and they did not refund my money. This is a complete rip-off. If you purchase books at a brand new price you want what is in the description (and it was). Customer service is a joke."

modified review This review was modified by angie546 on January 09 2014 03:01:53 PM

"This company is a scam, they took money from my account then sent an email to me stating they had received confirmation of delivery of books for me. Contacted them through email numerous times, got diffrent reps EVERYTIME and none of them knew the issue i had to re-explain myself everytime, some of them just sent back blank emails, called their customer service after waiting for 20 mins a person by name of desiree had me explain the whole issue again then said she would transfer me to a supervisor then proceeded to hang up on me, joke of customer service and company"

modified review This review was modified by mayragarcia17 on January 08 2014 11:40:32 AM

"DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH BOOKRENTER!!

Rented a book from them and literally only used it once and put it in my drawer the rest of the semester. I returned it in the SAME, EXACT condition but ended up getting charged for major damages..saying the pages were "chewed on and torn". Talked to customer service but that was a complete joke. They took forever to respond on their online chat service and spewed out robotic messages.

modified review This review was modified by crookedbixby on January 07 2014 12:34:13 PM

"Terrible. Don't ever buy here. Customer service is a joke, they are confused, do not listen to you, and are not well versed in their own processes. Ridiculous, this was one of the worst experiences I have had with an online purchase."

modified review This review was modified by EasyBreezy1822 on January 06 2014 10:53:18 AM

"Bookrenter sent me a badly damaged booked. It had been dropped in water/toilet, dried and so although it was legible, I contacted them to let them know. All was well until they charged my account the full price of the book and said I damaged the book!! I am livid. They will not get a dime of my money and I will take them to small claims court if I have to as a principle! I am honest, I would not return a book damaged ever!"

modified review This review was modified by SherryBaby on December 11 2013 01:05:04 PM

"Book renter sent me a highly imperfect book, with the cover nearly ripped off, markings all throughout it, and I had no complaints about this because I only needed it for one summer semester.
However, when I sent it back, they automatically charged my account the retail price of the book for "damages," with no notice whatsoever. Four times the amount that I spent to rent it.
I saved no money on this book, and I certainly could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, not to mention Ididn'tt even get to keep it.
They charged me the whole price and kept the book.
Terrible customer service as well.

modified review This review was modified by SteenPeace on September 20 2013 08:46:50 AM

BookRenter is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

BookRenter is not a merchant member
BookRenter does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!