• BookRenter

Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.19/10 1.19/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.80/10 0.80/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.83/10 0.83/10

"WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN MY LIFE!!! I PAID 10$ MORE FOR 2 DAY SHIPPING. SAME AS AMAZON AND MY AMAZON BOOK CAME THREE DAYS BEFORE. STILL WAITING ON MY BOOK. WHEN I CALLED TO GET MY SHIPPING REFUNDED THE LADY TOLD ME THEY HAD 6 DAMN DAYS ON MY MONEY TO GET ME MY BOOK AND REFUSED TO REFUND THE SHIPPING! TERRIBLE SERVICE. RENT FROM AMAZON, STUDENTS GET FREE 2 DAY SHIPPING"

"Hey students on here looking for textbooks, I would very strongly advise staying away from the company BookRenter.com. I ordered a textbook from them on 8/23/15 and I tracked it all the way to Knoxville with the convenient tacking number. I checked it on the 27th and for some reason the UPS tracking said that it was undeliverable. I contacted BookRenter and they told me that it was at the local post office and that I would be able to pick it up there. Not a big deal, mistakes happen. I left to get the textbook minutes after they told me it was there, but the USPS no longer had it. I thought that was strange and confirmed that it was the correct address, which it was. I contacted BookRenter 8/28/2015 and asked what was going on. After being handed off and treated very poorly over the phone, I was told that they no longer intended to get me my book by the "guaranteed" date of September 3 BUT they would be keeping my money until then.
I am sorry to put a black mark on a company, but I have been more than reasonable with them. I understand mistakes happen that are out of their control, but it is still their responsibility to fulfill what they promised, have at least decent customer service, and to return what I paid them when they bluntly stated they no longer intended to do what they were suppose to. They have put me over a week behind in my class so I wanted to warn others before doing business with this particular company.

"Be extremely careful when ordering books that come with supplementals! My son needed Pearson's Mystatlab for his class. The key was already used and invalid! Bookrenter.com explained that they state on their site that supplementals are not guaranteed. Apparently it's a roll of the dice to see if your book has a key that has already been used. Will NOT use their service again!!!"

"I live in a rural area and return my books in a UPS drop box. I dropped a class and retuned the book to Bookrenter--then rerented it in the spring when I retook the class. The first book I returned apparently never made it--and they would never acknowledge that I must have or else why would I rerent?? Then with the horrid customer service I couldn't even get them to consider crediting me the extra charges towards the cost of the book so I had to pay it in full to avoid the extra costs. They asked so many times for a copy of the store receipt where I dropped it eventho I explained so many times I used a drop box. Customer service is so bad I will NEVER use them again!"

"Oh my gosh! Where do I even start?! I accidentally sent them a different copy of the same book (one was mine and I rented the other from them). I didn't realize I sent the wrong copy till I was charged full price for the book! I called and told them my situation and they agreed to refund the charge and gave me an extension to return the right book. They also asked me for my personal info: address, and card number to charge me for a return shipping fee to return my book to me. Well after a month I still had recieved nothing. I called again and they told me that I did not ever send a wrong book in the first place. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
1) You had no trouble locating my book the first time I called.
2) You charged me a return shipping fee so of course you planned on returning a book to me!
But no now my book doesn't even exist! They agreed to investigate it and would get back to me in a couple of days. Did they?!? NO. I had to call them back after two weeks of no response! This time when I called they wanted to say that there was no record of them charging me a return shipping fee?!? After a few minutes of arguing they FINALLY found it?! This is the ABSOLUTE WORST experience I've ever had with a book company! They basically stole my book and played it off like they never got it. RIDICULOUS.
DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!

"A sheer nightmare! I ordered a book and paid extra for 2 day-expedited shipping. After not having arrived for another 4 days, I called in and a customer representative told me that the book was still processing.

About 12 days later, I receive an email saying that my order was cancelled because they do not even had the book in stocks. My class is only 28 days long.

Never again Bookrenter..... never again.

"Bookrenter.Com... What can I say??? My order was to rent a book that required an online access code for the workbook. The book was received with no access code. After contacting the company, they provided a "legal" argument for why they cannot guarantee an access code. The book without an access code is useless. Requested they send me a return label and expected a full refund. They deducted shipping costs for their incompetence. Unable to get a call through or an on-line "chat" to demand a full refund. Will investigate other alternatives for book rental going forward. The issue of receiving the book was to order it from Amazon.com... saved about $50 on a new book. (The order date listed below is approximate.)"

"Terrible experience. I paid a TON of money to get my book for my online class ASAP, but the book did not come. I was not informed it would be late, and when I sent an email, I was told they would get back to me in about 1-2 days. Even though I needed help now.They sent me tracking information, but UPS does not have it linked to any packages. So even though my book should already be here, I cannot figure out where it is. When I finally got ahold of someone, I was told that they would not refund me for the crazy shipping cost, even though I clearly did not get my book when I was supposed to. I will not every buy a book from this site again. Terrible service and very unhelpful. "

"I ordered 2 books and received those after my exam. Because of this I had to drop my course and since it delivered 1 or two days closer to the free return date I didn't even received the refund. I had to write more than 15 times for them and only received their poor service. Because of this service I lost almost $ 1000 (to drop the course without refund and the cost of 2 books). Now I am end up with books that I won't use this semester and have to pay again for the next Fall to get registered my self for the aforementioned course. Think twice when you rent book because it will loose your money and time and patience. "

"I apparently rented the wrong book for my daughter's class. In an effort to make sure the received the book in a timely manner, I submitted the rental early, adding extra days to begin with so she would have it for the duration of the class. The class started and we found out that it was the wrong book. The book I rented was Criminal Law and Procedure and the book she was supposed to have was Criminal Law and Procedure for the Paralegal. When she started the class and realized the book was wrong, I immediately rented the correct book, but asked for a refund for the first book. I was over the 21-day period, and they absolutely REFUSED to work with me. I even asked for a refund for the expedited shipping ($9.99). NOPE. Will never rent with them again!!!"

"Terrible company! They don't register returns correctly. Then they go back several semesters and charge cards You may have used in the past that had nothing to do with the rental and then refuse to credit the card they charged when attempting to charge a ridiculous price for a bill already returned. You can't get anyone on the phone and their email responses don't address the issue you are seeking to resolve. Its as though they are unable to understand the written language. Beware - they are a mess! The rating choices offered aren't low enough. "

"Placed order to rent a book on Wed June 10th in the early evening. Although they state it can take 1-2 business days to process an order, I received a confirmation approximately one hour after placing the order that my book was being "plucked from the shelves and processed." The book did not finish "processing" until Friday when it was finally shipped late in the day. I needed this book quickly so I opted to pay the 9.99 express 2 day shipping. Once I received a shipping confirmation on Friday, my estimated delivery date wasn't until the coming Tuesday. The company uses FedEx, which is a reliable company that can meet express shipping needs. Upon contacting Book Renter customer service, I was informed that delivery is based on weekdays only and EXCLUDES WEEKENDS based on some agreement their company has with FedEx (according to the customer support staff). I informed them that this did not make any sense. I explained that the purpose of express shipping is to receive materials quickly and if they are using FedEx, this expectation should be met. I requested a refund and was told they couldn't refund my express shipping because it is against their policy. Upon speaking with a supervisor (which took forever because the rep couldn't find one), I was informed the same thing multiple times. The "supervisor" stated his name was Freddy and informed me that he was the highest person I could speak with. I asked him if he had a boss and he danced around the question. I asked him if he was in charge of the company because almost everyone has a boss and he told me no, but he was the only person I could speak with. I asked for a higher level to call me back and he said it would be him. He would not further identify himself with an agent ID or other form of representative ID. I requested the corporate office and he refused to provide that information and stated that they don't accept phone calls. The call went about in circles with the "supervisor" who was constantly interrupting both my husband and I. I will never use this company again and renter beware before moving forward. Paying the extra money elsewhere is definitely worth it and likely a much more reliable option compared to this company. The 5 star satisfaction guarantee marketing on the site is simply a ploy. Look elsewhere!

-Stephanie

"I have always rented from Amazon, but a friend of mine suggested I try BookRenter. What a mistake!!! I received the book and it was written in and falling apart. I assumed since this was how they shipped it out they knew the condition when it left the warehouse. I returned the book and was charged the difference between the rental fee and the cost of the book. The reason was "the book had extensive marking and pages were missing". If pages were missing they were missing when I got the book and the marking was already there. I asked my bank to deny the charges when I could get nowhere with BookRenter and BookRenter told the bank that I should have contacted them if I got the book damaged! Really???!!! You don't know what shape it was in when you sent it out??? I wonder did they charge the person who had really done the damage but decided to keep the book and keep sending it out damaged so they could collect over and over again. I have asked for the book if they are not going to refund the additional charges since it is rightfully mine, but interestingly when I wrote that in an online chat with them I mysteriously got disconnected. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT RENT FROM BOOK RENTER!!!!!"

"Excellent service! Thank you!!"

"Horrible company, I paid $15 dollars for 2 day shipping and my book came 6 days later and when I called, they would not refund my shipping cost. I was better off getting free shipping, I would have probably gotten it in the same time frame. Will never order from them again."

Share BookRenter's store rating

BookRenter is a Merchant Member! Learn more

BookRenter is a merchant member
BookRenter participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 2,702 merchant members.