Product & services pricing Rating 6.04/10 6.04/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.08/10 2.08/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.46/10 1.46/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.67/10 1.67/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.43/10 1.43/10

"They also Charged my daughter $163 for a book for damage. She called and they would not help her, told her there was water damage. I called and very calmly described the situation, and asked for them to refund as she had not done the damage. They DID refund her $.

When she called they wouldn't, when I called they did. They probably try to take advantage of young poor college students who may not have the experience with confronting companies.

I asked how to prevent? take pic before use? Larry replied that if there is notable damage, call and document it with them before using it.

They did the right thing for us but I don't respect them based on our experience and the other comments below

modified review This review was modified by protectivemom on September 17 2014 12:40:54 PM

"I just ordered 2 books from book renter last week Wednesday. They came yesterday, and even though they are used they are in real l good condition. I had an amazing experience with this company and my tracking number worked perfectly. I am so happy to start using my books. I was sceptical after reading the bad reviews on other sites but I'm glad I took the risk. I hope my return experience is just as good!!! "

modified review This review was modified by Bitter on September 17 2014 04:48:46 PM

"Awful company, please do not order from them. Ordered my book on aug 22 and should of been here the LATEST sept 5. It did not arrive on the 5th, so I called to get another one sent out. This shouldn't have happened in the first place. It is now sept 15 and the second one shipped should of been here sept 11 because they put the fastest shipping possible. I call today and it says I returned the book? And there's 28 calls ahead of them? They are honestly awful. Never renting from here again. "

BookRenter User

"I rented an Art History textbook for $17.72 and opened the book ONCE throughout the entire course. When I returned it (in the same exact condition I received it in), I was charged $97 as a "damage fee." After about a dozen emails passed back and forth I finally got my money back, but I will never be renting from them again."

BookRenter User

"Avoid BookRenter like the plague!!
Their name should be BADRenter.
Where ARE the books I rented? BookRenter has no idea nor do they care. They told me to go out and buy the books since I did not receive the rented textbooks. Customer Service? Nope. Nonexistent. Only call them if your practicing deep breathing and patience. Eight week semester into week three and still without books, but BookRenter has the money for the rental(of coarse). Save time and aggravation by avoiding BookRenter!

"My book did not arrive at all

Poor customer service

Did not give me a refund

"The book I received was not in good condition at all, and even though it was in the name of the book, connect plus was not included. It was not at all worth the money I spent to rent it, so I sent it back. I may have tried renting from here again, because your refund policy seemed good, but after viewing it closer, it says it will take over a month for me to get my refund. I will not be trying this site again, and will defiantly not recommend it to my classmates."

"DO NOT PURCHASE BOOKS FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I ordered 4 books total and the arrival was fine. I went to print a label for the *free shipping* return and it was a UPS label but the page text clearly stated the label could be used at USPS, UPS or FedEx so that's what I went by. I get to USPS and the desk agent tells me they only ship for free to this company "sometimes", I ended up paying $11.96 out of pocket for return shipping media mail plus the materials. Contacted bookrenter.com to explain and a representative was nice enough to extend the rental a few days during a chat plus told me in writing that he would inform the warehouse to look out for my package since it wouldn't be arriving with the pre-printed label. I have the USPS receipt and tracked the package online with www.usps.com, due date was not until 08/14/2014. The books were SCANNED AND DELIVERED on 08/04/2014 per the online tracking plus a confirmation email from a USPS representative but around 8/11 the system still showed my books as *renting*. ALL of the reviews about the inept customer service are right on the mark. I've been back and forth a dozen times in the same email with about 5 different reps and each one gives me a generic spiel about their return policy stating they aren't liable if the return is done differently even when there's documented proof that their own representative assured me it would be fine (I've kept a copy of the chat AND all email correspondence). First they claimed the box couldn't be located, then they claimed the 11lb 6oz box arrived EMPTY, now their back to the original claim that it never arrived at all. WTH?! Then they offered me some nonsense buyout option for books that have already been returned and closed one book "out of courtesy". IM NOT PAYING YOU FOR ITEMS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN RETURNTED, ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! My credit card company has already been alerted to kick back any and all charges from this shady excuse for a business and I will NOT be paying them one thin dime for items that have ALREADY BEEN RETURNED WITH DOCUMENTATION! The whole experience has been outrageous and I'm sure after a few automatically extended rental cycles to extort more money that isn't owed they will attempt to send the account to collections. BRING IT! All of the documentation saved will be sent to the credit bureau to dispute that fraudulent claim. People use chegg, knetbooks or anyone else besides this company for book rentals! Trust me
Bookrenter.com Customer Service Representatives by Name:
Luis - the only helpful person from the original chat
Jhuanta, Nathan, Sade and Juan - HORRIBLE

modified review This review was modified by Persephone32 on August 20 2014 01:12:37 PM

"A friend told me about the site. I ordered one book to test them out, the book looked almost new. The second time that I order one of the books look pretty damaged. I called they offered me a replacement, but I said no since the book was still in usable shape. Forgot to return the books on time and was worried about the late fee, but I called and this girl gave me a free extension. Will keep using. Another friend had a bad experience with them but that was because he drop off the book at the post office even though it was a UPS label."

modified review This review was modified by Michaelcorona on July 10 2014 11:21:01 PM

"I ordered 4 books from book renter!! I paid an extra $25 for 2 day shipping and did not receive my books in 2 days!! That was my only disappointment!"

"AWFUL customer service. I bought a book from them and they sent me another person's order! They told me there was nothing they could do for me and they couldn't even send me the correct book but they did ask if I could send the wrong book back. I highly doubt it will make it to the right person. It would probably be better If I personally sent it to the person. DO NOT USE THEM. They are a scam. Yes, the prices are low but the low price doesn't mean anything when you get the wrong book and the company does nothing to make it right. "

modified review This review was modified by tayyb12 on May 16 2014 09:00:34 AM

"Claim they never received my book back, continued to charge almost 200 in late fees without any sort of contact with me. Rented book in May of 2013, returned shortly after the semester ended. Thought that was the end of it. Almost one year later I happened to notice a charge of 8.77 on my account from BOOKRENTER. Didn't have a clue what it was so I went back and checked my account with Book Renter. Not only did they claim to never received my book they had been charging an extension fee of 8.77 x 18 for the last year. Customer service was NO help, all they kept asking for was my tracking number. I'm sorry but I am not going to keep a tracking number for a year"

modified review This review was modified by grizzoo on April 25 2014 10:10:41 AM

"Do not rent from BookRenter! I would give them zero starts if I could. I ordered a book way in advance and I got a great discount from them, only to discover after a month that they didn't have the item in stock so they cancelled my order and expected me to pay 100 times more (literally, from $20 to $200) for the same item. Costumer service was no help at all. "

modified review This review was modified by vushi25 on January 21 2014 11:00:16 AM

"They sucks. Do not buy from this site... I Order four books jan 2 and didnt receive till 16. They told me to wait every time I called in. Also, told me to check my post office and post office people told me that they never receive any thing while tracking the number provided by them. When i ask to refund money said i can return those books and get refund afterr i receive them... Do not rent from them."

modified review This review was modified by bhupe123 on January 16 2014 10:13:29 AM

"DO NOT RENT FROM BOOK RENTERS/KENTBOOKS!! I was 2 days late on returning my book, they took the full amount of the book ($140) out of my account with no warning. It over drafted my checking account and were very rude and refused to refund them. I will NEVER rent from them ever again. I have rented from Chegg.com many times and never have they done anything like that before. Please learn from my mistake and DO NOT RENT FROM BOOK RENTERS/KENTBOOKS."

modified review This review was modified by Renee1223 on January 11 2014 06:55:25 PM

BookRenter is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

BookRenter is not a merchant member
BookRenter does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!