• BookRenter

Chance of future purchase: Rating 0.95/10 0.95/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.60/10 1.60/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.56/10 0.56/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.83/10 0.83/10

"I apparently rented the wrong book for my daughter's class. In an effort to make sure the received the book in a timely manner, I submitted the rental early, adding extra days to begin with so she would have it for the duration of the class. The class started and we found out that it was the wrong book. The book I rented was Criminal Law and Procedure and the book she was supposed to have was Criminal Law and Procedure for the Paralegal. When she started the class and realized the book was wrong, I immediately rented the correct book, but asked for a refund for the first book. I was over the 21-day period, and they absolutely REFUSED to work with me. I even asked for a refund for the expedited shipping ($9.99). NOPE. Will never rent with them again!!!"

"Terrible company! They don't register returns correctly. Then they go back several semesters and charge cards You may have used in the past that had nothing to do with the rental and then refuse to credit the card they charged when attempting to charge a ridiculous price for a bill already returned. You can't get anyone on the phone and their email responses don't address the issue you are seeking to resolve. Its as though they are unable to understand the written language. Beware - they are a mess! The rating choices offered aren't low enough. "

"Placed order to rent a book on Wed June 10th in the early evening. Although they state it can take 1-2 business days to process an order, I received a confirmation approximately one hour after placing the order that my book was being "plucked from the shelves and processed." The book did not finish "processing" until Friday when it was finally shipped late in the day. I needed this book quickly so I opted to pay the 9.99 express 2 day shipping. Once I received a shipping confirmation on Friday, my estimated delivery date wasn't until the coming Tuesday. The company uses FedEx, which is a reliable company that can meet express shipping needs. Upon contacting Book Renter customer service, I was informed that delivery is based on weekdays only and EXCLUDES WEEKENDS based on some agreement their company has with FedEx (according to the customer support staff). I informed them that this did not make any sense. I explained that the purpose of express shipping is to receive materials quickly and if they are using FedEx, this expectation should be met. I requested a refund and was told they couldn't refund my express shipping because it is against their policy. Upon speaking with a supervisor (which took forever because the rep couldn't find one), I was informed the same thing multiple times. The "supervisor" stated his name was Freddy and informed me that he was the highest person I could speak with. I asked him if he had a boss and he danced around the question. I asked him if he was in charge of the company because almost everyone has a boss and he told me no, but he was the only person I could speak with. I asked for a higher level to call me back and he said it would be him. He would not further identify himself with an agent ID or other form of representative ID. I requested the corporate office and he refused to provide that information and stated that they don't accept phone calls. The call went about in circles with the "supervisor" who was constantly interrupting both my husband and I. I will never use this company again and renter beware before moving forward. Paying the extra money elsewhere is definitely worth it and likely a much more reliable option compared to this company. The 5 star satisfaction guarantee marketing on the site is simply a ploy. Look elsewhere!

-Stephanie

"I have always rented from Amazon, but a friend of mine suggested I try BookRenter. What a mistake!!! I received the book and it was written in and falling apart. I assumed since this was how they shipped it out they knew the condition when it left the warehouse. I returned the book and was charged the difference between the rental fee and the cost of the book. The reason was "the book had extensive marking and pages were missing". If pages were missing they were missing when I got the book and the marking was already there. I asked my bank to deny the charges when I could get nowhere with BookRenter and BookRenter told the bank that I should have contacted them if I got the book damaged! Really???!!! You don't know what shape it was in when you sent it out??? I wonder did they charge the person who had really done the damage but decided to keep the book and keep sending it out damaged so they could collect over and over again. I have asked for the book if they are not going to refund the additional charges since it is rightfully mine, but interestingly when I wrote that in an online chat with them I mysteriously got disconnected. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT RENT FROM BOOK RENTER!!!!!"

"Excellent service! Thank you!!"

"Horrible company, I paid $15 dollars for 2 day shipping and my book came 6 days later and when I called, they would not refund my shipping cost. I was better off getting free shipping, I would have probably gotten it in the same time frame. Will never order from them again."

"This company gave me a hard time at first, but the matter has cleared up."

"WORST COMPANY EVER. I returned a book to the company but I used a shipping label of my own because I work for a company with a shipping department. They LOST my book. It was signed for by an employee from the distribution warehouse. In my opinion, if my book was signed for by a bookrenter employee, it becomes their responsibility. They then charged me for the buyout because they could not find my book. I was charged $230 for a book that I no longer have in my possession. Believe me, as soon as my final books have been returned I will NEVER order from this company again. I would rate them 0 if it gave me the option. And neither should you, unless you want horrible customer service and to lose a ton of money."

"This is the worst company ever to rent a book from. Their customer service is terrible and the supervisor is no help. I ordered two books and got two different books in the mail. When asked to get a refund they literally told me "NO," but they'll send me the right book which they will expedited but will take 4-5 business days which about the same time it took me to get the two "wrong" books I ordered in the first place, but instead paid $7.99 shipping and handling which is also not refunded. I am very displeased and when never rent from them again. Very sorry company and customer service team who cannot seemingly speak one word of English neither the supervisor. Now, I have 3 books that are not useful. I tried to call the Corporate number and it takes you in circles then straight to the voicemail of another company. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND ORDER FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN THESE PEOPLE. "

"Their "refund/return" policy is based upon the date you ORDER, not the date they eventually manage to get the book to you! This is ridiculous. By the time you get it you have mere days to figure out if its the right book and return it for refund.
BEWARE! I will NEVER use this service again. There are other services out there that are much more reasonable on refunds and returns when your class is canceled. If you contact customer service, they just cut & paste the return policy and tell you "out of luck". BAD company...seriously, who is running this thing??? No business sense whatsoever. The aim of business is to keep people coming back. Chasing them off over a $25 rental when many books I and my fellow classmates will need for the remainder of law school are in the $300-500 range is just idiotic, since I will tell all of them about my experiences, both good and bad, and which companies to avoid--THIS ONE!!

"I am still in shock with how this company treats their "customers". I rented a total of 4 books last week and because the name on the card and the name on the shipping address were different(my parents put the books on their CC and we don't live in the same household) THEY CANCELLED THE ORDER. I have NEVER had anything like this happen before! When I called the gentlemen could not even tell me what the issue was and why my order had been cancelled. I had to call ask for a supervisor to get the correct information about MY order. Needless to say, after this company putting me out another week for my books and my unsatisfaction with the customer service department I will go "without" books before I give this company another dollar. "

"BEWARE : WORST COMPANY EVER - RIPS OFF STUDENTS!!
CHARGES DAMAGE FEES FOR RETURNED BOOKS EVEN WHEN I DID NO DAMAGE. A complete rip off and scam.
The books never left my dorm room. I returned the books in exactly the same condition in which I received them, BookRenter is charging my credit card for $76 for damage I did not cause or is not there. When I contacted them to protest, BookRenter to question the charge, Bookrenter threatened me with Federal charges. No customer service. Rude and threatening.
I returned the books in exactly the same condition they were when I received them. Still BookRenter is charging me $76. Bookrenter is a huge scam. Rips off college students. And when you ask for customer service, you get threatened with a Federal lawsuit.
I wish I could give it zero stars and still post my comments.
SAVE YOURSELF - DO NOT USE BOOKRENTER.COM
BookRenter.com is a SCAM & RIP OFF.

"My book was shipped to the wrong address and I got charged for shipping cost twice. Once I finally received the book it was damaged. I notified them and never got an answer back. I returned the book and they charged me for the total cost of the book plus shipping cost without notice. Terrible customer service! "

"If I could select 0 stars, I would. They hung up on me twice. They accused me of being a liar, even though tracking says that the book was not delivered. According to them, the book was delivered. I would not subject myself to customer service hell if I had that book. That makes no sense. They guaranteed a delivery date of Fri., 05/08/15 and it's now Mon., 05/18/15.

The telephone representatives were polite and only doing as instructed according to their "manual" that they follow. But I asked to speak with the supervisor or manager three times in one phone call and three times my request was rebuffed. By the third time, that's when customer service hung up on me for the 2nd time.

A week ago, I suggested kindly that they send me another book in case the first got lost. If I got both books, I'd return one immediately and use the other for the rest of the class's duration (which at the time was 3 weeks). Now that I only have 2 weeks left of class, I should not have to pay for a book that has not arrived. I suggested that they send me a replacement book and refund my money. That's all. That's what any normal customer would expect and any good business owner would agree. Unfortunately for me, that is not the case. When I called today, 05/18/15, they said they can only do one or the other. I can either get a refund and no book, or book and pay for 4 weeks when I only need it for 2.

I have never had an issue with BookRenter until this month. Having experienced their customer service firsthand, I highly recommend you going with chegg.com. I heard that they allow you access to the e-version of the book until the book arrives. Chegg may be pricier but it'll be worth it if it means I don't have to deal with poor customer service.

I was going to be a loyal customer and recommended it to a lot of my students and friends. Now I have to warn them away from BookRenter.

I hope those who read this take my advice. If anything happens or changes, I'll be sure to post it.

**Update**
F 05/29/15
BookRenter did contact me and refunded my money in full. They also offered $10 in credit towards my next rental. I still feel like I can't trust them. They screwed me over and think that $10 will cover it. I am happy that I at least got my money back. That's all I really wanted.

"They always deliver, always on time and they always have the lowest prices. A+!! ****!!! ~5?~ !!!****"

Share BookRenter's store rating

BookRenter is a Merchant Member! Learn more

BookRenter is a merchant member
BookRenter participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,851 merchant members.