Stores > BookByte
  • BookByte

customerservice@bookbyte.com

Product & services pricing Rating 1.00/10 1.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.07/10 1.07/10
Voice your opinion! Review BookByte by clicking a star below.
2017-07-10

Horrible Experience

"I returned my rental book via drop box postal office a month before due date. This morning I wake up to a 331.05 charge! Devasted and confused! I felt robbed by this website bettet off customer service did not even try to help me): My bank is currently disputing this company and Im going to BBB! Their polices are crazy and they scam people to keep their money. I would never ever recommend this site or come to this site again. "

2017-06-23

Sold A Book And They Refused To Pay Me Or Send Back Book

"I sold them 2 copies of the same book July 9th, 2017. The books totaled to about $130 in payment to me. The books were in excellent condition with no inside writings or markings or any damaged to the spine at all. This is why I sent it. I work at Chegg so I understand the buyback and resale process. I waited three weeks with no information on the status of my payment. I sent an email. They responded saying that the book had significant spine damage and that it could not be used on their end so they recycled it. I asked for my book back and they said they cannot send it back or pay me. This is a scam because I know what they do with books that they get for free. They resell them theirselves. The highest time to resell is in August and this transaction happened in June so they are stacking up on books to sell and make a profit for their company. Be careful with companys that do not return books based on their judgement. This company is a scam I will never do business with them again. "

2017-06-13

Shady shenanigans

"Prices are good. The company, as a whole, used to be decent. This last experience will be my last with them. Their system had a glitch and it appeared that my order hadn't gone through, so I processed it again. A day or two later I got two shipping confirmations. I emailed that day and was told to just mark one of them "return to sender" and I would get my money back. I did this as soon as I had both books. Fast forward to the end of semester, all other books return before the due date. I get a check, which I had received previously for returning books before the due date. Then I keep getting emails to return the duplicate book. I finally email them and they stated because I sent books from different orders together, the duplicated book was "tagged as a buyback, not a return. So you were paid for selling a book." I told them the printed shipping labels were exactly alike, which is why I put the books together. They said they would not return the book in their system, until they got their $9 check back. They acknowledged that they've had the book, and the error was in the way their system processed the book. I advised them that they had the books, and they couldn't refuse to return a book and make it look like I had it, because of their error. I got the same response...they had to have their $9 back in order to return it in the system. I'm pretty sure this is illegal. After arguing with the lady from the "Collections" dept, I asked for the supervisor because they can't refuse to return the book, knowing they have it, all because of the way their system processed the book. She comes back a few minutes later, and states that it's taken care of now, but for future reference, you can't return different orders in the same box and "I just printed the both labels and they're different." I again stated I had printed both, and since they were identical I put them together to try and save money. Yes, I'm cheap and I do actually try to save money, when able. Also. there are FTC laws regarding having to send stuff back that a company sends out in error. So, in essence, I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to hold my rental return ransom, due to a $9 check being sent out in their error. Had I not called and argued, I would have been charged $48 for a book they already had and knew they had. While I have had previous, positive experiences with this company, I will not continue to use a company that does this sort of thing.

2017-06-12

AVOID-UNSCUPULOUS RIP OFF ARTISTS!

"sold them a brand new no markings perfect condition book (CD included) -told me it was not authentic-paid me nothing and kept the book. "

2017-06-08

COMPANY IS A SCAM

"The company will give you a quote that makes you think you are going to get a great resale price on your book. Then, when you return it, even if they books aren't that marked up, they will claim that they are and give you ZERO money. They claim they will "recycle" them, but I can bet the company resells them for a profit. I sent back one book with very little markings in it and with NO scratches on the binding/or covers. However, the company is claiming the book isn't "resellable," which is CRAP. That book can and will be resold. I think it's time to form a class action suit against this lying company! They are stealing the money of students and making profits for themselves. That is wrong on so many levels! "

2017-06-08

DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!!!!

"DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!!!

I bought a used textbook from them, and instead of sending me the textbook I ordered they sent me an instructor's edition and covered it with a sticker bar code so I couldn't tell. This didn't cause an issue in class, as it's essentially the same book as the regular book. However, this is a huge problem when trying sell back the book at the end of the semester. Teacher's editions are completely WORTHLESS when selling books back, so the only way I could get more than $3 for it was to sell it back to bookbyte for $20, whereas if I had the actual book I ordered in the first place I would have gotten about $40 from amazon. I used this book maybe 4 times, so I returned it to bookbyte in practically the same condition they sent it to me (which was awful, by the way; the cover was being held together by packing tape and 3/4 of the pages had water damage). I never hear anything back from them so I log in to check on this and it just says that my book was returned "damaged" so they threw it out. So in the end I was sold a textbook in horrible condition, was not even given the book I ordered (different ISBN and everything), and was cheated out of any money from a buyback, although I'm sure they didn't actually recycle my book and will be selling it to some poor student again next year. Moral of the story: BOOKBYTE WILL SCREW YOU OVER, DO NOT BUY FROM OR SELL TO THEM!

2017-05-22

Buy Back - Scammers or their business processes need to be fixed

"Resold two books but only got credit for one of them (the lesser $$of the two). Customer service person seemed to be willing to look into my situation, but she wasn't able to get anything resolved. Look for another company to buy your books back."

2017-04-28

Should be shut down for fraud

"Our current situation with this particular buyback company is terrible. We sent them two textbooks and are not paying us for the "higher-priced" book of the two books. The book we sent was brand new purchased from the publisher through the university obviously because the connect codes were needed for online access to homework. They are continuing to deem our book as "inauthentic," and sending us pictures of a book that is misprinted, off-centered, bad binding, and copied photos within the text. Our book was used a max of 2-3 times, it was barely used and looked brand new when shipped. We would appreciate our measly payment of $28.25 or the original book returned. We have been in contact for over a week and keep getting the same reply/lie. As a college student working hard to be where I am in life I do not take kindly to being cheated on books that cost hundreds of dollars per semester. Contact with several government agencies are being made to file fraud reports against this so called "company." Terrible and would never recommend."

2017-02-17

Scammers

"NEVER ORDER YOUR BOOKS FROM BOOKBYTE!!! I ordered my fall textbooks from them and sent them back on time and they are now saying I owe them 167.24 for a book that "I didn't return" well for one I returned both books I had and two they are trying to charge me for a book I never had, I highly advise you to never go through bookbyte they are trying to take money from people that are just trying to survive the college grind. "

2017-01-23

Horrible

"Paid and still no delivery. 5 days have passed."

2016-10-05

Scam!!

"I rented textbooks from this company and returned them via their instructions before the due date. I was charged the full price as if I did not return the books. I even have the FedEx confirmation that they received the order! As a result, I had to report the charge as fraud with my credit card company and close the account. I will file a claim with the BBB. do not do business with this company."

2016-08-26

Everyone on here needs to file a BBB claim

"Apparently this company is a scam, instead of writing reviews on this forum (not offense resellerratings) you need to file a claim with the Better Buisnness Bureau and shut this fraud of a company down. Being students and clearly already trying to find our books cheaper is a clear indication that we don't have extra money to spend in our pockets. There service is horrible and they're no help. I've order two books with them with expedited shipping, I have yet to receive them and apparently neither has the shipping company."

2016-08-09

I should have read these reviews first...

"I got a quote for $398 for 11 books. 3 weeks later I inquire where my check is. I am told that the books they received were not the ones quoted. I sent technical books, welding, and programming books. They said they received 15 paperback books that they are not currently buying...How convenient. RUN, RUN, RUN.away as fast as you can. I wish I had."

2016-08-06

Horrible Service!!

"I had ordered two books from them, because they did not have the student version of one book they had sent me the instructor's version. If i were to use that version in school I COULD HAVE BEEN KICKED OUT FOR CHEATING BECAUSE IT HAD ALL THE ANSWERS. Instead of telling me they didn't have my version they wasted my time. The other book they sent me was completely wrong!!! I live chatted them and they are sending me the right book. They told me theyd email me something so I could send back the books they got wrong but I haven't gotten anything back. Will not recommend to anyone! DO NOT USE THEM. I'd rather spend a little extra money and know i got what I paid for than to have to go through this and have to hurry to find somewhere else to rent/buy my books"

2016-07-26

Would not Recommend to My Worst Enemy

"Do not use them, awful customer service, senseless policies. I had rented books from them and from Amazon and had a similar issue where email was wrong due to linking to facebook and I did not have access to the account. When I talked to Amazon, they got rid of the late fee and welcomed the book back, no harm no foul. Bookbyte made me pay them full price for the over priced book I had already paid $30 to rent, and then ship it to them (out of pocket which they will not refund). I will supposedly get my money back minus a $10 late fee (and shipping costs) at an undisclosed date. "

Share BookByte's store rating

BookByte is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

BookByte is not a merchant member
BookByte does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!