• Rating 2.00/10 4,793 reviews

BookByte is not a merchant member
    BookByte does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • BookByte contact information

Shipping & packaging: Rating 0.42/10 0.42/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.42/10 0.42/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.25/10 1.25/10

All 4,795 Customer Reviews

"Bookbyte is a scam. Each time they accepted payment for an expensive book, they then could not provide the book. They wont notify you that they can't complete the sale. They keep the money until YOU ask for the status. Then they claim that they shipped it and that the Post Office lost it, but they can't provide a tracking number or they provide a number that is not a real post office tracking number, then they claim they typed the number in incorrectly, but they don'tprovide a real number. Then when you ask again they finally provide a refund. In the meantime they have use of your money until you ask for it to be returned. They will never tell you right away that the book is not available. All of my orders through them were from a company called "Fast Media" evidently a subcontractor. Ultimately I don't know if "Fast Media" is also involved in thedeception. This has happened to me at least 10 times. At first I believed them, then I started testingto see if the same thing would happen again. Unfortunately it did and will."

modified review This review was modified by jpplanet on April 06 2014 03:38:56 AM

"You'd think by spending hundreds of dollars on a textbook that at least you'd get some good shipping service. Such a scum company that preys on ripping off college students. I hope it shuts down soon because it's going to happen. I ordered a textbook that took over 2 WEEKS to arrive. I missed a lot of coursework because of these greedy scums. It is one of the most expensive book I've ever bought and the slowest shipping I've ever received because they decided to use FedEx SMARTPOST--the slowest shipping service. The condition of the book was horrible. It is a looseleaf book but the cover and back are missing and the pages are damaged. At least put some cables in the ring holes. Probably too costly for them to shell out a penny anyway. This reflects how they see their customers. I'm so glad I won't be buying textbooks anymore because they'll never see a penny from me again and I'll be sure to spread the word around campus."

"I am very disappointed. I attempted to sell 8 books for $350 to Bookbyte.com. I shipped the shipment on 11/26/2013. I attempted to reach customer service but they responded via email to keep checking back with them. On 1/31/2014, I received an email WITH PICTURES that my books were not received and they would not pay me $350. The PICTURES provided were not the shipping materials I used to ship the books in but rather an manila envelope with the shipping label that corresponded with my order. VERY DISAPPOINTED!! They Encouraged me to file a lost or missing package claim with USPS! Sounds like they are notorious for doing this with customers. I sent books to four vendors on the same day, using the same method, and BOOKBYTE was the ONLY VENDOR that DID NOT deliver the PROMISED SERVICE or PAYMENT for books. DO NOT USE BOOKBYTE!!!!"

modified review This review was modified by pdnichelson on February 06 2014 04:54:21 PM
BaileyDubroff's Avatar
Houston
Rating 4/102/5

"The time they stayed at my apartment was twittering liked it much. I had to well for this."

"Jan 24 2013. Fraudulent. They said they would give me $70 for pristine book i sent in an email. I have photos of book. Then they sent an email saying they received the book in good order and would send a check for $35. I hope the check doesn't bounce. Won't do business with them again. They are crooks and liars. But they will stay in business because there is a constant supply of new customers who will be abused by them once."

"WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!! DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS CRAPPY COMPANY!!! I overnighted a book, it took over a week to get any response from this company. Finally after I threatened to write a bad review on them, they voluntarily canceled my order. They made me late on an assignment for school! Terrible communication! This is a scam company!!!"

modified review This review was modified by vsormond on January 14 2014 03:31:22 PM

"Scam artists. Just about every order I place with them "gets lost in the mail". When
I ask for tracking, they say they are working on getting it. I have ordered books
from bookbyte 5 or 6 times. Never once has the book ever arrived.

modified review This review was modified by brooklynguy on December 25 2013 07:41:26 PM

"Very disappointed
As a first time customer, I must say that I'am VERY DISAPPOINTED and I wish I had just maintained my usual textbook ordering web site. First the information about delivery is misleading,they will say your book will arrive in three days and that was not the case with my order, infact I'am still waiting on my book since I ordered it last week on monday (10/14/13). I used the tracking number provided to see where my book is stuck and i was directed to FEDEX, but all the information I got was that the book was shipped on 10/16/13. I called customer service at FEDEX and they say that they are only a third party and they are not involved with shipping, they only do deliveries. So here I am with no book and a stack of assignments that I cannot do.....am very disappointed with Bookbyte and this is the last time I will ever use them....DISAPPOINTED CUSTOMER

modified review This review was modified by BIBA143 on October 21 2013 07:51:23 AM

"Best price, received in promised condition and on time!"

modified review This review was modified by djsmooth26 on September 19 2013 09:27:04 AM

"SCAM ARTISTS!!!!Horrible!! I used this site because they offered half price on the 10th edition of a college physics textbook. Turns out they sent me a 7th edition, totally useless. On top of that when i went to return it they couldn't print the return label right away because the order was made through one of their subsidiaries who they want me to contact!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! what a rip-off nightmare"

modified review This review was modified by UNHAPPY111AA on September 17 2013 11:39:28 AM

"I just received the used book I purchased - Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook - which was described as "good condition." The cover is bent in half…ok, so that's the cover; HOWEVER, almost every exercise inside the book is covered in sloppy scribble to the point parts are indiscernible!? Yes…"may contain light markings" is an understatement.
Very disappointed.

modified review This review was modified by hadleywest on September 15 2013 09:16:36 AM

"I was selling several textbooks to BookBytes. They just e-mailed me with pictures showing that they received an empty box! Part of the box was sealed with duct tape and it is obvious it was cut open. The box was not in bad shape except for the end being cut away. I see that this seems to be a common occurance with Bookbytes by other posts here and on other sites. DO NOT SELL YOUR BOOKS TO BOOKBYTES - THEY OBVIOUSLY STEAL THEM AND BLAME THE POSTOFFICE!"

modified review This review was modified by donna5467 on September 12 2013 07:50:07 PM
Rating 8/104/5

"Although I can't complain much about my own experience I would hesitate to give BookByte five stars, as I see that as an exceptionally good rating.

The book I ordered was listed to be in "Good Used" condition, yet the cover is smudged and beat up and has tape and stickers on it. However, the inside, the part that matters, is just fine.

As a buyer I would not disregard all the 1-Star ratings this company has received. I personally felt that the deal was good enough to take the risk of things not working out, and luckily they did. So if there's a $5 difference between a book here and a book on Amazon I would definitely go with the Amazon book.

modified review This review was modified by Kellinghusen on September 09 2013 05:04:42 PM

"Poor Service and the hastle is not worth the savings....there are better vendors out there!! Book is 2 days late after paying for expedited shipping, email has gone unanswered, chat with customer service only works on their end i.e. I can't respond and of course there is not phone number to actually talk to a person about how to get the problem resolved. An exercise in frustration and will cost me extra money since now I must buy the book at the local store and deal with returning. Lastly, the book that did arrive on time was definately NOT in 'almost new' condition!!"

modified review This review was modified by frustratedstudent on August 27 2013 02:04:53 PM

"Thanks! Good deal... Fast shipping too. Recommended seller."