Barnes and NobCoupons

Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.25/10 3.25/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.62/10 3.62/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.02/10 3.02/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 3.38/10 3.38/10

"This is a downright terrible place to shop. Within the past month, I have received 2 discount coupons from Barnes and Nobel that were e-mailed directly to me. BOTH times when I attempted to use it by placing an on-line order, I received an error message that the coupon was invalid.

The first time, I called their customer service number and was asked to give them my order information and credit card number. The order was place--however, what should have taken 5 minutes took more than an hour after waiting on hold and trying to explain why I was calling to someone who clearly could not speak English.

The second time, I called their customer service line about the SAME problem and was told, "Well, I don't know why that happened" I asked to speak to a manager and was hung up on.

Avoid this place at all costs, and if you need to buy a book, support local businesses.

phonepartsJoshua's Avatar
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

"Searched for several hard-to-find items to see if they had them in stock, per the direction of a salesperson at our local store. Found information as to how we can order them online, though it seemed like the salesperson could likely have simply ordered them for us and had them delivered to the store, since we wanted to visit their brick-and-mortar in the first place."

"DO NOT order textbooks from BN.com. I chose expedited shipping that said 1-3 business days. That is deceiving. The shipping time doesn't start until 24 hours after you place your order. The 'day 1' is counted as the time from day 1 until day 2. So their '3 days' is actually 5 business days. BEWARE. I will never order from here again. We chose this website only because of the 1-3 business day shipping."

"They are terrible as a reseller. On the website, it stated they would ship to have my school books to me by my deadline, the following Tuesday after ordering that Thursday before.
Instead, it is now marked as "back ordered", it is in their warehouse where they cannot touch it, or ship it for another 3 days (8 full days after it was ordered)
AND they will not cancel it, or pay return shipping to process the return. Even though they lied about when I could have the book by.
COMPLETELY unsatisfied.
And now classes have started and I won't have the book for another week. I would choose ZERO stars as rating if possible.

"I got a book I was looking for a very long time... the CS was very helpful in locating it. The shipping was fast, and the book is wonderful... i am happy"

"I purchased a book titled "Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children" I loved the book, the low price, and the wonderful staff who help me find a copy without a damaged cover!"

"Signed up for their $25 per year membership program in order to get faster shipping. "Expedited" shipping from B and N is supposed to take 1-3 days. It takes 7 days which is what it takes for a package to arrive through free standard shipping. It's easy to see why Amazon is more successful than B&N."

"I ordered a Nook HD from Best Buy and after a week the power cord failed so now it cannot charge. I have called their customer service line 6 times over since July 14 and still have not received a replacement cord. Each time I call they blame computer glitches or product being out of stock - how hard is it for them to create a queue and ship a part when it comes in stock rather than make the customer call in every 3 days to check on the status? I would avoid them for their customer service."

"I had the misfortune of renting a textbook from Barnes and Noble, I had clearly rented the book for 90 days, they charged me 35 dollars and 46 cents. That price can still be seen on their website, or close to it. They fined me after 60 days, another 25 dollars, when clearly they had made the mistake! I was on the phone with them, after an hour i got lucky, and she clearly said she will not help me, and then was told "talk to my supervisor" and i was hung up on. NEVER RENT FROM BARNES AND NOBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"I ordered a textbook on Friday, August 1, from barnesandnoble.com express delivery 1-3 business days. My class starts on Saturday, August 9, enough time to deliver the book, right? Wrong! I checked on the tracking number on Tuesday, August 5, that the book which was shipped UPS is now with my county's local USPS-no other update. So I thought the book should be delivered by end of business day Wednesday, August 6, and it wasn't. I called Barnes and Noble customer service Thursday morning and the customer service rep said that the book was scheduled to deliver Saturday, August 9. I asked her why is that the case if this is express delivery 1-3 business days and I need the book before Saturday because I have class starting Saturday morning. She stated for some reason my local post office has the book and "maybe" it will be delivered by end of business day Friday, August 8. That it's out of their hands because it's with the post office now. I asked her what am I supposed to do if the book doesn't arrive in time for my class?! She stated there's nothing they can do on their end, possibly issue a refund if the book doesn't arrive but I have to wait. So I told her I don't care about a refund, I just need the book on-time, can't you just send another book by tomorrow and I just send back the one that's supposedly arriving Saturday, so long as I get my textbook on-time? She said no, I have to wait, they cannot do anything on their end. Guess what, it's end of business day, Friday, August 9th, and my book isn't here. I call Barnes and Noble and talk to a customer service rep, explain my story all over again and ask him what does 1-3 business days mean to him? He was claiming it takes 24hrs for the warehouse to process and the order is scheduled to deliver tomorrow, August 9. I ask him, does that make sense to him that the book which is supposed to be shipped in 1-3 business days arrive 1 week later? If anything, I should have had the book by yesterday, Thursday, or today, August 8. He also mentioned something about a refund. I again said I just want my book on-time. I was very upset and he transferred me to a supervisor who apparently didn't know why I was speaking to her and I asked her if I had to explain my story again and she straight up hung up on me. I called Barnes and Noble again and this time I was furious. I told them their supervisor hung up on me and my textbook didn't arrive. They transferred me to another supervisor and had to rehash my whole story again. She was unsympathetic as can be. She claimed the textbook was "considered lost" and said the tracking number didn't state when it was to be delivered and I asked her why did your reps say it is supposedly going to be delivered tomorrow, August 9, and she said "I don't know where they got that information." I asked her if Barnes and Noble was trying to blame some other entity such as the Post Office so as not to assume responsibility and she said they're not blaming anyone. I asked her what am I supposed to do since I don't have the book and the class is tomorrow. She told me she couldn't overnight the book and the best she could do is have another one "shipped by Tuesday" with a "10 percent discount code," and she said "I apologize" in the most monotone, robotic, unsympathetic, insincere voice and I told her that she didn't sound sympathetic at all. That's freaking insulting. I asked her "Are you joking?! I don't need a 10 percent discount, I need my book!!" I asked her if she "were in my situation and ordered something and the website stated it would be here in 1-3 business days and it wasn't," wouldn't she "be upset" and she stated that she would, in the same drab, monotone voice. I told her Barnes and Noble should have treated this situation as if it were Christmas Day and the order did not arrive on-time, should be the same situation that deadline was not met. She claimed she understood but could offer me nothing. I told her I wanted a refund and the book shipped to me as soon as possible because it was their fault and she said no, there's no form of payment. I asked her is this how Barnes and Noble became the big company that they are, by ripping people off-making shipping statements on their website that they cannot fulfill and telling people that they cannot do anything for them, that they don't care whether someone's book arrives on-time?! She said nothing. I told her I want a refund and she went on with her scripted dialogue of how long it takes to get a refund. I'm writing this here because there is no public forum to write about how bad Barnes and Noble's online customer service is because apparently to them, the customer is wrong even when it is Barnes and Noble's fault. I will never shop at Barnes and Noble again and I will see to it that many people will read this and hopefully, it will deter you from shopping there as well. By the way, Amazon is much cheaper than Barnes and Noble and has way better customer service. The only reason I didn't order my textbook from Amazon is because they don't have the print version of it, which the class requires."

"Barnes and Noble is by far one of the best retailers when it comes to books and magazines. The atmosphere is always quiet and relaxing as well. Their order process online is very simple, and organized. Delivery of ordered items was prompt and very satisfying. I'll be using their service in the future for sure!"

"these such a nice store, I always use for buying the products in these store"

"All my orders from Barnes and Nobles took more than 3 months to arrive, right now i waiting 4 orders that i made more than 4 months ago, they dont know where the orders are and they wont refund the order...i mean, i paid for the orders, they cant get a tracking code, they cant trace where in the world the orders are..."

"Barnes and Noble is a great store! I love the fact that their stores always keep a peaceful and relaxed environment which is perfect for studying! Not only do they have a variety of books in public stores but also online, that makes it a game changer!"

"Barnes and Noble used to be a respectable company. When I lived in Las Vegas I would frequent their stores because I liked the vibe and their selection. So I figure they were the victim of a competition take over and I'd see them as the underdog when I placed my order. I have ordered a couple of times via online and this last experience just put me over the edge. I ordered an ebook for my Nook application for my daughter. I looked at the rating to get an overview of what I was ordering and at the time it had a 4.5/5 one so I thought it was pretty safe to order. That was a huge mistake, I should have read through all the reviews because the "book" (I use quotes because it doesn't even qualify as anything more than a flier really) was a total of 6 pages and had no content to it. Each page had a huge picture (or two) and one or two sentences of generic information that my 8 year old could have written. On top of that, the cover has the image of what you think it may talk about but in reality that was a ruse and you are never given any information on how to do what the book promises you will learn. In this case it was a book on building the "ultimate" Minecraft house with a picture of a castle on the front. What you get is a flat, one-level house that any 6 year old could do. It has instructions like, "Build the foundation. This will eventually turn into the outer wall." "Now put lights up". If this is any indication of B&N's quality control on their ebooks they have a lot of improvements to make. The worst part is the reviews that B&N has allowed don't even review the book they are just a bunch of spam with 5 star ratings to inflate the ratings of this "book". So not only did they not QA the content of the book, they can't even QA the reviews on it to see if the ones posted are relevant to the actual item they are written under. So now that I can't trust the material nor the ratings I initiate a chat contact us to request a refund and to report the book. The person seems perplexed that I have a problem with a book that is only 6 pages. She then offers to transfer me to another department which results in her just ending the chat and nothing happening. So I try again, now I am already getting angry because the first rep neither understood my problem nor helped me. The next person accepts the chat and promptly terminates it before I say a word (yes it says your chat session has been ended). So obviously by now I am ticked off even more than I was at the start. So now I am calling their 800 number. I call once, I say the appropriate input and then I meet silence and a click (hung up). I try a second time with the same result.. So now I've had 4 failed contact attempts with this company of a piece of trash they call an ebook and I cannot get anyone to even look into it. I try a final time and call the 201 number because I am on edge now and I want a resolution. This is the worst customer service experience that I have had in the last few years. I get someone who then transfers me and then I get transferred again to a person in content. So they are dealing with the content problem with the ebook but still not a word about my refund. I start explaining to the person about why the content needs to be examined and also that the ratings are artificially high because people were spamming random comments about First or Second and not actually reviewing the book whilst giving it 5 stars. The person I was speaking to neither understood my problem with the content and she sighed audibly so that I could hear it. I went off on her as politely as I could about this company having the worst customer service and I doubt I will ever purchase anything ever again. That was met with a 'someone will review your report on the content and get back to you within 1-2 weeks. Barnes and Noble you guys have fallen well behind on your customer service protocol and your standards. Amazon will be getting all my business from this point forward, you have burned your bridges and seem to care very little about that. I am sure you will care when you finish going out of business like your competitors have."

Barnes and Noble is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Barnes and Noble is a merchant member
Barnes and Noble participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,851 merchant members.