Stores > Barnes and Noble

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.25/10 1.25/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.92/10 1.92/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.45/10 1.45/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.11/10 1.11/10

"I ordered a book 11/8/15 to be delivered to my home using Barnes and Nobles "express shipping". The book has still not arrived at my house. Not exactly express shipping. When I track the delivery, the expected arrival date has changed twice. As of now, it is to be delivered 11/16. I will NEVER order from Barnes and Nobles again. From now on, my business will be on Amazon!"

This review was modified by cdvcollector on November 17 2015 01:44:01 PM

"Store located at 8358 S Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32809 407-856-32809. On 10/21/2015 I purchased a lunch box and a binder pencil pouch. I thought I had 60 days to return it. On 11/13/2015 (23 days) I went to return it and I was told I could not return it because it had been more than 14 days. The back of the receipt has a 14 day policy and a 60 day policy. The 14 day policy states "With a sales receipt or Barnes & Noble.com packing slip, a full refund in the original form of payment will be issued from any Barnes & Noble Booksellers store for returns of undamaged Nooks, new and unread books, and unopened undamaged music CDs, DVDs, vinyl records, toys/games and audio books made within 14 days of purchase" The lunchbox or pencil pouch is not a Nook, book, CD, DVD, vinyl record, toy or game which are all of the items listed in the 14 day return policy section so I thought I had 60 days. The cashier told me the 60 days only applies if I had a gift receipt and if I had a gift receipt I could have returned it. I did not have a gift receipt because I did not know I needed a gift receipt and they did not give me one. I ask for a Manager and Kristen came and told me the same thing. She was not the Manager. I was told the Manager is Katie Beresheim and she was not in. When I got home I call the store and ask for Katie Beresheim. I was informed she is on vacation until 11/21/2015. I hung up and call Corporate Barnes & Noble at 800-962-6177. I Spoke with Shamika. I was told they would have to discuss the matter with the store manager and get back to me in a week. The return is only for $4.28. In my opinion the return policy on the back of the receipt is unclear. In my opinion if Barnes and Noble intends for all returns to be subject to a 14 day return policy the receipt should state that. In my opinion I do not understand the 60 day return if you have a gift receipt or how you would know to request a gift receipt to get the 60 day return option. In my opinion I am confused about their return policy and none of the 3 people I spoke with were clearly able to show me the return policy in writing that said the lunch box and pencil pouch were subject to a 14 day return policy."

This review was modified by unhappycustomer3299 on November 16 2015 04:00:01 PM

"I ordered a book on november 9th. I got an immediate order confirmation but 4 days later I was told that my order is cancelled since the book is no more available on the Market place!
So either B&N fills their catalog with non existing books or their information processing is very poor!
F H from France

This review was modified by haymeric on November 16 2015 04:00:01 PM

"I am a college student and I paid $50 plus $5 dollars shipping on a textbook (This is a lot of money for a broke college kid). I had paid for my book to arrive within a week and it has been twice that long now and I still have no book. I am currently taking a hard hit in my grades for this course because of Barnes and Noble not being able to follow the shipping plan that they had. I logged in to check on my order and it still says that it is being processed!! I wrote an email to customer service and, shocker, they did not even bother to respond. I just canceled my order, and I will be surprised if I get my money back within a month. The prices are outrageous, the customer service sucks and they cannot get items to you in a timely manner. I will NOT be shopping with Barnes and Noble EVER again. "

"Order 500$ worth of textbooks from their website. Paid 30$ for expedited shipping. 9 days later still did not receive any of the 5 text books that I ordered. When I called the 1800# on day 5 to see where the books where they told me I ordered them from numerous locations and they were on their way. Every shipping number on my on-line order form was bogus. Every vendor listed on my order form was a bogus vendor with contact information. So I ordered books elsewhere and they arrived in 3 days (before my B&N books) When I contacted B&N to get contact information for the vendors so I return the VERY LATE and one incorrect book, it took 3 customer service emails to get the information. The first email told me to look at my order form even though my email told them my order form did not contain the info. The second one sent me a copy of the first email and the third one finally gave me the information I needed which gave me 2 days to meet the 30 day return policy. Moral of the story is DO NOT ORDER TEXTBOOKS from Barnes and Noble. It will take you 2-3 billing cycles to get your money back if you get it back at all."

"I ordered a book from a used book seller on Barnes and Noble Marketplace. There was an issue with the seller, so I contacted Barnes and Noble via email. They never responded. Long story short, I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company. I received a refund because Barnes and Noble did not respond to the dispute by the deadline. An odd way to do business. "

"Ordered a book for my wifes birthday payed for it to be there on her birthday and also have it gift wrapped. Was shipped they said by UPS and then UPS sent it to USPS why I have no idea I paid for the fast delivery on that date. So the bottom line is they suck. And there customer service is a bunch of dopes on the phone. I don't think I was talking to anyone from the US. Never again Barnes & Noble online service sucks. They did say they would refund the shipping and gift wrap. Okay thats fine but they screwed my surprise gift. Dopes.

"I ordered by book on August 18th, received an email that my seller had shipped the book August 19th. Hadn't received it by September 4th so I called customer service and they said it was my job to contact the seller. Contacted the seller to no avail, call barnes and noble back and they say that they will try to contact the seller and I would hear back in 1-3 days. I never heard back. Call back September 8th and they say "well the shipping option you chose said it could come anytime until September 9th, so call us back if it doesn't come tomorrow..." I'm thinking, not only did he not respond to my request, what is to say he ever shipped the book? Also why does one book, supposedly shipped on August 19th from Texas, take over two weeks to get to New York? .. Not surprisingly the book did not come on the 9th, I call barnes and noble AGAIN (THIRD TIME) and they say well we need to wait another week until we can mark it lost in transit and give you a refund. I said i refuse to wait another week and I would like to speak to a manager. The manager assured they would refund my money in the next day or two. Instead I receive an email that the seller has now provided tracking information and it would be here by the end of the day. I did receive the book a week short of a month after I ordered it. I will NOT be using Barnes and Noble Marketplace again and warn all others to do the same."

"Zero accountability. Ordered a textbook for one of my college class. I take it, im new at this renting college books. Anyhow the book that i rented, i expected to have an access code, which it was specified on the title. During the process of ordering my book nowhere did it say it would not include the access code. Once my book arrived thats when i noticed that that access code package was not included. I sent them an email and their response, though not literally, basically was, "fix it yourself". Least to say i won't be ordering any more books from them. "

"Ordered my book on August 31st and signed up for free membership. Online it says my order will be expressed delivery by September 3. Called customer service today September 5th. Said they won't refund me because it is shipped and will arrive by September 23. Therefore, I have to wait until October to send it back and actually get my refund. Offered me no compensation for my inconvenience AND they can't refund me yet. "

"My son needed 2 textbooks and I ordered them from BN because they had the best prices for rentals and an expected delivery date within the next few days.

On the check out page, I saw a message about trying a free 2-month membership to get free shipping so I clicked on the link. On the new pop up window, there was a checkbox to accept their terms and conditions but the checkbox was disabled and I wasn't able to sign up. There was no error message or any explanation. If you don't want customers to sign up, then don't even make this option available!

So I decided to finish the order without the free membership. But after I entered the shipping address, I noticed that they had automatically changed it. The shipping address had 2 lines, 1 for street address and 1 for mailbox number. I tried to put the mail box number in 1) the apt# box; 2) in the optional company box; 3) in the same box as the street address, separated by a comma. But no matter what I tried, after I saved it, the mailbox always disappeared. After numerous frustrating tries, I had to contact customer service in order to have the correct shipping address entered.

When I called customer service to fix the shipping address, I was told that the order would be shipped within 24 hrs. After 24 hrs had past, I checked the order status online and found out it was still being processed. So I contacted customer service again and was told that since one of the books was now out of stock (It was available when I placed the order), they had to hold the other book too because they would only ship the books together to save shipping costs even though I paid for express shipping! But I never received any email telling me that the order was put on hold! If I didn't contact customer service, I probably would wait forever.

The customer service rep told me to wait and contact them again if I don't receive the order on 9/2 even though he knew they would ship it unless both books were in stock and he didn't know when one of the books would be in stock. I told him that when I ordered the book, the expected delivery date was 9/2. If I waited until 9/2 and didn't receive the books, I had to order them from somewhere else and had to wait for more days to get them. But my son needed the books ASAP and we couldn't afford to wait. So I asked him to cancel the book that was out of stock so they could ship the other book. After he did that, I checked the order status again and found out that both books had been cancelled! When I asked him about it, he insisted that he only cancelled one book and never apologized and then disconnected me!!! His name is Jameel Albert.

Barnes and Noble's website is extremely frustrating to use and they have the worst customer service I've ever seen!

"I love going to B&N stores but my online experience was awful.
Since I couldn't find a book I was looking for at the store I bought it online not knowing it would take 2 weeks to arrive.
Contacting customer service did not help.
Please B&N improve your online service.

"Barnes & Noble has THE WORST customer service. I have been trying to resolve an issue with a textbook rental for a month!! The customer service reps that I have talked with are not knowledgeable about how to complete requests and they don't explain anything well."

"Was looking for a good book on Napoleon, and stumbled upon Barnes with a great selection and fair prices. Ordered right away, came within less than a week. Might take it to read in the physical store :) very cozy."

"Can I give less than one star? Ordered two items for my wife's birthday and paid expedited shipping and delivery was guaranteed in time for her birthday - I would have never known the items were out of stock if I did not call to find out what was going on. I received, after holding two times for about 30 minutes, a lame apology and that's it. Very poor customer service. Guess what? The third part of the gift shipped from Amazon and arrived as promised. Guess which business will still be around in a year or two and which one will not. B&N just does not get customer service. Very disappointed. "

Share Barnes and Noble's store rating

Barnes and Noble is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Barnes and Noble is a merchant member
Barnes and Noble participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 2,682 merchant members.