Barnes and NobCoupons

Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.02/10 2.02/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.58/10 1.58/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.73/10 1.73/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 1.54/10 1.54/10

"We researched the cost of a few books online then went into the store to buy ... saving shipping time. We found the books but B&N say their online and their store are not the same because online competes with Amazon. So we went back and ordered the books online with B&N. It was a pleasant experience and if Amazon has it or B&N has it, we'll order from the cheaper of the two, for new of course."

"Helped me pick out a great book for my long train ride. They spent a lot of time with me to go over what kind of books i enjoyed reading. "

"This merchant by far is the worst on the net I ever dealt with. I rented a book and a lab attachment card for my daughters college from them. They advertised a book rental with a NEW lab card code. My receipt invoice said book" plus New lab code but when I received my book, no lab code. I called Cs and got the run around to the supervisor. Ended with were sorry , doesn't matter what we advertised and what your invoice said, you don't get any lab code.
I already filed a complaint at the online consumer affairs site. I'm going to make sure the Internet consumer fraud complaint is also completed. I won't let this down as it goes to the principle of violating the consumer trust and defrauding customers out in the open without the fear of reprisal.

"Not only will the local stores not price match other stores, they won't even price match their OWN WEBSITE!!! Their brick-and-mortar stores are doomed!"

"My daughter ordered a book on 2/2/15. Used expedited shipping and its 10 days later ( or 8 business days) the book is still not here. I posted this to their facebook page only to have them ask me to private message them and they would look into it. All they did was tell me it would be delivered on 2/10/15. It is now the end of the day, mail already ran, on 2/12/15 and still no delivery. I will only buy books from Amazon from now on. Not barns and noble from Amazon, only a different company altogether. They refuse to answer me now and my daughter is still waiting for the book thats been sitting 30 miles away for over 2 days. No one is willing to do anything and we have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on books through them. WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THEM EVER AGAIN."

"Ugh.

What a NIGHTMARE ordering textbook rentals!

I have UPS tracking numbers, etc. and despite speaking to numerous people about finding my ebook rentals? They are STILL charging me late fees despite claiming to give me a refund!

What an absolutely horrible experience - AVOID !!!

"It is horrible company that they sent me a book I didn't order."

"Stay away from Barnes and Noble.net!! The online store did not work, it processed an order twice, when I went to cancel it took three calls, the text book (which was supposed to get here in three days, took ten) thank goodness I ordered from somewhere else! It's taken 3 calls to get the refund processed. Finally sent an email saying they received the return, without any amount indicated or credit card it would be credited too! AHHHH Don't use this website for anything!!"

"NEVER AGAIN!!!
I purchased a book and paid extra for Express Shipping (1-3 business days). Barnes and Noble shipped the item using UPS Mail Innovation, one of the cheapest and slowest ways to ship. When I did not receive the item in 3 days, I called customer service and was told I am supposed to add one business day to the 1-3 for preparation which means 4 business days. That is NOT what the shipping timeline in my cart said! I was then told if the book did not come by day 4 I could call and get a refund on the shipping. Well, the book had still not arrived by the 5th business day so I called and asked for a shipping refund, and though they did it, the rep gave me a really difficult time.
When the book finally arrived, it was wrapped in nothing but a cardboard wrap and the pages were moist because of the wet, snowy weather. The book was supposed to be a gift, but due to the fact that it arrived late and the pages were damaged, I could not use it as a gift. I know I could return the book, but am not in the mood for another hassle. I am now displaying it with its ruined pages so all my family and friends can be equally appalled. Do not order online from this store.
HORRIBLE SERVICE!!!

"I wish I had read these reviews before ordering and echo most of the opinions here. Ordering by phone
from Barnes and Noble was the most unbelievably horrible purchasing experience I have ever had in 50 years, bar none.

My wife spent 20 plus minutes trying to place a simple order for a charger for her Nook.

The person could not get the order to go through even after giving him 2 separate credit cards.

Finally after "having trouble with the system", he declared the order processed.

Immediately after hanging up we noticed three charges on two credit cards.

We called back right away to tell them. No problem they said, we will cancel the two extra orders.

Several day later three charging cords show up on our doorstep.

Called back for a refund and, after having about a half an hour of people not being able to find the order, was told to return the two extra chargers.

I refused as it was their mistake, one we notified them of immediately and before shipping. Not to mention because of the insane amount of time spent already trying to place a routine order and clear up a simple mistake.

Got put on hold for another 15 minutes waiting for a supervisor to authorize the refunds without sending the chargers back.

Three weeks later no refund.

Called two more times and was told that refunds were issued and to "call the bank".

Called the credit card company again and was told no refunds showing up anywhere from Barnes and Noble.

Called back again to talk to a supervisor or someone, anyone who could correctly process the refunds.

Passed on endlessly to various people in addition to being given a number to Samsung which didnt have anything to do with our product or issue.

Was ultimately told that the issue would be passed on to "upper management in NEW JERSEY" - that explains a lot - and they would call me. No number for me to call here in the U.S. to talk to someone that cares about anything.

Any bets that I will have to call back again?

This call center, like many, is located in the Philippines and they obviously have no authority to do anything other than process simple orders.

Unfortunately, in this case their stunning ineptitude prevents them from even achieving this.

All in all this has cost me well over an hour and a half, 8 or 9 calls talking to over a dozen people who are completely clueless. They couldnt find orders, didnt have confirmation numbers, had wrong email addresses, the list was endless.

At this point I couldnt care less about the refund, I've already spent way more time than its worth, its a matter of principle now.

I appears that Barnes and Noble has no respect for their customers and cant be bothered to hold their overseas call center to any kind of competence.

I will never ever patronize Barnes and Noble again after this, not even their retail locations. Awful beyond words.

"I never even received my order. After a month of waiting, I finally gave up. They wanted me approve a 30-day extension on the shipment! Ridiculous. When I called customer service, the woman I spoke to was rude and unhelpful. The only reason I even bought from here was because I had gift cards, so the order was free. Now they have to refund TO MY GIFT CARD which I threw away because you know, how often does an accredited company take 30+ days to ship a product. I now have useless gift card numbers to a useless store I never want to shop at again. Yes, gift card NUMBERS, so I can't even use the stupid gift cards at stores now. They obviously didn't have the items in stock. Why would you put items on your website that you don't have in stock and that you won't be able to get in 30+ days? The worst part is, after venting my frustration to a friend, she told me the same exact thing had happened to her with a similar item (Vinyl). Get it together Barnes & Noble. I'm using Amazon next time. If only they took these stupid gift cards."

"The worst in customer service! I placed a gift card order on 2/16/14. It didn't arrive in time for the holiday but I received an email on 12/16 stating the address was undeliverable and I should respond within ten days. The mailbox was full when I attempted to respond and I as told to try again later. Same result when I tried again later. I attempted to contact online but it seems I need to create an account to do so. I called today, (26 days later) and am told it will be reviewed. This is the most ridiculous result ever."

"Can't even cancel order that has made by accident.
Better use amazon. At least they let you cancel any order that has made by accident.

"I like Barnes and Noble at the Grove, they have huge selection of book for professionals, students, toys for the kids, movies/DVD and CD's. They have coffee shop too when you feel hungry or tired, you can relax for awhile."

"Worst website to navigate through. I have a credit that I'm trying to use up, and the book I'm trying to locate forces me to scroll through ALL of their books in the category the book is in. When I typed in the name of the book (under the BOOK search header), it took me to an entirely different section OUTSIDE of the books. I then tried to narrow my search using their filters under the book section, and again, I was forced to scroll through ALL of the books. Apparently, they're making it difficult for me to use up my credit. I HATE Barnes and Noble's website."

Share Barnes and Noble's store rating

Barnes and Noble is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Barnes and Noble is a merchant member
Barnes and Noble participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,888 merchant members.