Barnes and NobCoupons

Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.03/10 3.03/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.01/10 3.01/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.63/10 2.63/10

"B&N are offering an online promotion today ($10 Off Purchase of $75+ Code: BNDEC17). Although I planned to order over $100 in merchandise, B&N refused to honor its promotion. Here's why:

I was ordering three copies of the same book, to be sent to three different people. Each book ships for free. However, there's no provision for entering multiple shipping addresses when placing an order online. That means that B&N's system requires me to place three separate orders, each under $75 and ineligible for the $10 off promotion.

Other retailers would have acknowledged the issue and offered to credit my account post-transaction. B&N Customer Service refused any accomodation, even making it sound like the issue was my fault, despite being caused by their ordering system. Their only solution was to place one order, shipping the books to me. Sure, I'd get the $10 promotion, but I'd then have to spend far more than that to ship the books to the recipients.

I will not do business with B&N in the future. (I wouldn't even have shopped with them today if enough copies of the book had been in stock elsewhere.) They aren't concerned with fairness or customer satisfaction.

"Been a customer of B&N (online) for five or six years and until earlier this month, they would have gotten themselves a 5 star rating but that was because I never had to go through their customer service.

Since then, I've glimpsed into how they run their business online and it didn't look good at all.

I can accept that it's currently the holidays and their website is probably being stressed but my last two orders have been screwed up majorly. The first order went for a bit under a hundred dollars of books and all went well until I reviewed the order from the e-mail they sent me. In it, I saw that I was being sent one of the book I ordered, twice, but none of the others. Quickly, I contact them to cancel the order and got a no-can-do from them. Apparently, even if the canceling invoice follow the order by 20 minutes, it cannot be cancelled so I'm about to get a two identical books and nothing of the rest I've ordered.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried to order all the rest that I'm missing (plus a few other items for gifts (and one of their buy two get one free deal)). Same thing pretty much happened again when I reviewed the order AFTER the checkout (I made sure the order was correct) I saw that it was different. I'm missing five books and one book that I had removed from my shopping bag prior to even start the checkout process was now included in the order I was being shipped.

So now, I'm waiting for two sets of books that should get around later this week or the next and neither are what I was trying to get. I just don't understand how you can proceed through a checkout process, see that your item list include an item set A and cost B amount and when you review the order after it has been billed you see that the order list is C and costs you D amount of cash.

"I ordered a movie on Blu-ray that released on the 11th. On the 12th I receive an email saying it's been delayed.

On the 19th I received a package of a completely different item (some show I've never heard of on DVD). I contacted B&N and they said I had to return the item and that they would send the correct one. So I drove to the UPS Store to drop it off (since they only do UPS - with Amazon you can drop it off in any USPS blue mailbox and when they do UPS you have the option of having a driver pick it up from you). I use my own envelope because they ship them in cardboard that isn't easily reused.

On the 24th I receive the replacement - the same incorrect item. The CS rep told me to return the item again and that they'll just give me a refund, because they have no way of communicating to the returns department that they keep sending the wrong item. Even the first time they either didn't communicate that they sent the wrong item, or the returns department didn't read the memo. If someone wants a replacement for a wrong item, why would you send the same one? It's just common sense. Or how about actually reading the name of the item that's being requested?

They said I can try ordering the item again "for my convenience". LOL! For my convenience I'll be ordering from Amazon, which I knew I should have done in the first place but it was cheaper at B&N. Never again will I order from them, and I've ordered from them for years. At least Amazon would have offered me a discount or coupon for the inconvenience, or told me to keep the wrong item, sent me the correct for free, etc. Plus I would have had the correct item weeks ago.

"Barnes and Noble has absolutely NO customer service. They continuously show me why I buy books from any other place on the planet. Their textbook rentals are a joke. STAY AWAY!"

"Since July, 2014 I have used B&N's book rental service more than once and each time, I have had a most pleasant experience. When I needed assistance, customer service was there to help, making sure to address all of my concerns. Customer service is excellent, waiting time is short, and the "used" books are in excellent condition. I highly recommend this service, but try to determine whether you want to buy or rent the book beforehand or ask about prices in case you want to purchase the book in the end."

"Brought my friend's two year old son into the store with a cart so he wouldn't run all over the store. Immediately was told by a Barnes and Noble employee that no carts were allowed in the store. No compassion shown for costumers with kids. Couldn't shop in fear of child running around and ripping up books. Very disappointed in the store that doesn't allow carts for kids to sit in at least. Will take my business else where now. "

"I was awaiting for this book to release from a long time. I did pre-order it from barnes and nobles and I had the worst experience ever. The shipping was delayed by a week. I wanted to gift it someone on his birthday so it was late for me and I ordered it from somewhere. I wanted to cancel my order and I tried to do it in every way possible. I cancelled it using their online "Cancel" option, spoke with 3 different customer representatives to get it cancelled and everyone promised that we have submitted your request for cancellation. I did send them an email too to cancel the item but and after spending so much time and energy following up with these guys they shipped my order. It’s the worst experience ever I had for shopping online so beware of shopping with barnes and nobles online."

"I read an excellent book by Kevin Elliott thank you keep up the good work"

"I ordered a textbook online in the middle of JUNE, and I was given an estimate time of about a week/10 days for it to arrive. I was going to travel in the middle of july, so as the book didn't arrive, I canceled the order. Fortunately, they replied me promptly and politely, and returned my money. Now, in november, guess what just arrived? The book I ordered.. 5 months late?"

"wow, they have just about every book you can think of. I needed a book for school which was very last minutes and Barnes and nobles was the only place that had it and had a very fast delivery option. Boy am I so happy to have used them for purchasing my book."

"Kathy at B&N Highland Village was very rude! My mom paid for a Galaxy tab4 and waranty online. After getting a missleading e-mail and calling the srore about picking it up. I went there to pick it up she told me I had to pay for it and called my mom to see if she really paid for it. Then made me pay for it over250.00 with everything plus cover. My son and I just renewed membership. This does not make me want to shop there anymore and am thinking of returning everything! I have spent a lot of $ there and have never left with less than 3 books. "

"was double charged for online purchase. rude customer service when contacting them asking for resolution. now i must seek legal action. BUYER BEWARE!"

"I love my Barnes and Noble. I bought a Nook HD + last year and have been very happy. I love books and never thought I would enjoy digital books, but it is so convenient when traveling. I still buy my hardback books though and for that, I love browsing at the B&N store. I also have purchased an app that did not work and had B&N refund my money. I think they can work on some of their issues--I hope they do because I much prefer them to Amazon."

"I ordered 4 books online, to be picked up in the store. The total for the 4 books on line was $43.00. When I got to the store, the clerk rang up the books. The total came to $68! I commented that the total was incorrect, and showed my online order with the total. I was told that the online prices were different than the in store price! What?! By $25?!?!
"No thanks!" I walked out, and Barnes and Noble not only lost a $68 sale, but they also lost a $43 sale...what ridiculous marketing. I may have even picked up a few more items while I was in the store, but now, I wouldn't step foot back in there. With online books and Amazon, why would I shop at Barnes and Noble? I can answer that - I wouldn't

"I meet 2 of the owners at a conference last month and ordered a few deals to try out there site out, 4 weeks latter all have arrived and are exceptional value. Well done www.weallsave.com.au

Barnes and Noble is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Barnes and Noble is a merchant member
Barnes and Noble participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,920 merchant members.