Stores > Ballard Designs

Product & services pricing Rating 5.83/10 5.83/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
Voice your opinion! Review Ballard Designs by clicking a star below.
2017-04-17

Badly damaged Casa Florentina Hutch

"Horrible experience with supposedly high-end Casa Florentina line. Waited 6 months to get my kitchen hutch and the top hutch was completely damaged (see photos), likely due to the far insufficient packing. They offered a replacement with ANOTHER 6-month wait, or I could keep it with a discount that would void the 1-year warranty as to the entire product (including the base which was not damaged). Avoid Casa Florentina!"

2017-04-14

"I ordered a beautiful duvet cover and shams. The quality of the material was way better than expected especially for the price. I also receive my order within two days. I will definitely recommend this website and will be ordering from them again!! "

2017-03-25

Worst Customer Service I Have Ever Experienced

"We are in the process of furnishing a home. In one room, two of the three pieces were ordered from Ballard. Both arrived damaged. Two times in one month we ordered from them. Two times we received damaged items. In return for your privilege of ordering damaged goods from them, you get to spend your time boxing it back up and waiting at home for UPS to pick it up and then wait again for a new, hopefully undamaged replacement to be shipped once the original is in their hands. Or, if you want a replacement sooner, you get to pay for BOTH the damaged and undamaged item, until they get the damaged item back and then they will issue a credit. In addition to these privileges, you get to deal with customer service people who operate like used car salesman that you have to drag information out of and treat you rudely. It's a shame because when I placed my order, the person was very pleasant and helpful. I will be sticking with Pottery Barn. Bye bye Ballard. "

2017-02-21

Dishonest description/hidden costs

"Be aware if you order outdoor furniture from Ballard Design, they advertise that they come with "basic cushions included." The furniture actually requires "replacement cushions" - at the cost of hundreds of dollars. This is very unclear in the description. Ballard won't allow me to post my negative review on their website. (There are zero reviews of the furniture we purchased - the Maison collection.)"

2017-02-01

Worst company I have ever dealt with

"Ordered 5 items for my daughters apartment in December. Ordered was officially place 1/4/17. Seems easy right? Nothing has been easy. Every step of this order has been unprofessional, unreliable and late. Out of the 5 items, an end table was shipped separately by UPS.. I had no knowledge that this was being shipped and it arrived and was stolen. 2nd end table was shipped and waited all day to sign for it but did receive it. The others items were being shipped only to arrive 5 days past original date and not all 4 pieces were in the order. One of the pieces is now on back order until April. Really!! How could Ballards not know this in December when the original order was placed. A lot of my time has been spent on phone calls, emails and staying home just to receive shipments that should have all been shipped together in the first place. (By the way, a 3rd end table show up too.) Ballards, I'm not sure how you manage to completely screw up order after order after order but it seems that some reeducation on how to properly run a catalog business is needed. Just look to Lands End and LL Bean as a starting point. It can be done people, it really can!!!"

2016-10-12

Ballard won't even let customers spend money

"Ordered a mirror and concerned about shipping, decided to upgrade to Ballard's in home delivery of $25.00 additional shipping. Where product would be unpacked and inspected. Delivery team contact me for delivery, I need to be home for delivery, delivery team arrive drop off package and want to leave. I explain they are suppose to open it and see if it is broken and unpack, they very politely explained and showed me the freight bill/instructions which don't say that. I call Ballard, the first of 3 reps (each escalating in rudeness and disdain) say I didn't get charged for it. I explained, that while I appreciate that I needed it done, so can I add it on, the Delivery team will take care of this if I can add it on while there. NO! that is not going to happen. I was told because I was upset and confused not to treat them in a way that upsets them. I was given to a rep that constantly mispronounced my name and used disparging remarks and told that "he was sorry I didn't know what I was doing when I ordered the item, but nothing he could do now" I was given to yet a different person, who told me that I should be happy I had such low shipping (Ballard had a promotion on shipping) and be grateful for that. It was never about the cost, I needed the help to unpack and insure that if damaged they could return it. All I wanted to do was spend an additional $25.00 for upgraded shipping. What I ended up with was 1) rude, obnoxious people that don't care if they have customers (guess they might when they start cutting people) 2) It is my fault that this occured 3) I closed my account, which they wouldn't even help me with, told me I had to contact the bank that handles their in house cards. I bet they don't think people will follow through, but I did. Closed my account with a 5 digit limit over $25.00 that I wanted to spend.. They are a trash company. Nice products, but the people aren't worth it. I feel like I cheated on Pottery Barn"

2016-07-04

Worst customer service

"I recently ordered a chair and X bench in matching fabric. When they arrived the fabrics were different dye lots and clearly different colors. When it was brought to their attention, the response was less than desirable, Nnd clearly not in my best interest. Never again will I do business with this company."

2016-06-09

Awful customer service!

"I should had know when I first called to place an order what type of company this was. The item I had ordered was in there Catalog at one price but when I called to place the order the rep told me another price which was 100$ more than what was quoted in the catalog. He then proceeded to tell me that that price was a sale price for the spring (it was May when I purchased the item, just saying). So after much debate on my part and noting but an "I'm sorry mam" on his part I went ahead an ordered anyway, clearly I wasn't getting anywhere. A week later the shipping company calls me to schedule a delivery and what I learn from them is they just come and drop it in my door way without setting up or even taking it from the box, mind you at this point I've spend 1600$ with a 200$ delivery fee! I called to see what could be done given I am quite a small women and how on earth was I going to lift this item to its proper place in my home let alone put it together. After talking to the customer service rep for twenty minutes explaining to her that it was completely misleading and that I should has been told that the item would had just been left under a covered spot on my porch. She then transfered me to a manager who did nothing but say that if I paid another 100$ on top of the 200$ delivery fee already that they could take it out of the box but will not set it up as they are not insured for that. I was beside myself!! Oh and the repeated "I'm very sorry" but nothing else honestly he was quit rude. For a company who sells a large amount of large items one would think that they have proper shipping methods and insurance in place...I will never purchase from then again! "

2016-02-13

Customer Service is very unhelpful.

"I have ordered from Ballard Designs a few times in the past and like the items in the magazine and went to make a significant purchase (over $600) but by the time I got online to do so (because of a reconstructive knee surgery) my coupon had expired 2 days prior. I called to see if there was anyway they could honor this since like I said I had quite a few things to purchase and customer service couldn't offer me anything. You would think this store would want my money and be willing to honor the code or a manager or someone could give me a new code or take my order over the phone and do something to help their customer. This was not the case and is very disappointing since there were a few things that I really liked, but I will shop else ware from now on unless I can get the 20% off. "

2015-12-14

"I ordered a settee and two side chairs back in September and it's December 14th. I still don't have my order. When I placed the order I used a total of four $500 American Express gift cards over the phone as well as my debit card number for a small amount. In November I received an email saying my credit card was DECLINED! I had already received a confirmation email saying that my order was scheduled for delivery on December 7th so I called to see what the issue was. There was NO RECORD of me using the gift cards. I was mortified. I kept the used cards for a few weeks but I thought surely after over a month went by I was holding onto them for no reason and trashed them. So I had no way to tell them what the numbers were. After sending the confirmation email to the rep I had spoken to on the phone, I get this response...

Ballard: Dear Jennifer, Thank you for contacting Ballard Designs. I have received your email and have attached your confirmation to the order for review.

Me: Thanks Andrea, My bank is going to forward me Septembers statement and... you said you found one of the gift cards? Just one, not all of them?

Ballard: Hi Jennifer, The gift cards that I have is the one that you gave me on the phone yesterday ending in *7804 exp 12/22 and the one that we were able to locate on the order ends in *6098 exp 12/23.

Me: Can you tell me the status of my order? If you even found one of the cards you should have all of them. I called and gave them ALL over the phone at the same time.

Ballard: Jennifer, The Estimated Shipping Date has not changed on the 2 Hayward Side Chairs and the Hayward Settee, they are showing Dec. 7, 15. The order status email that you received was an email showing that we shipped the selected fabric to our Vendor to cover the items. I do apologize for any confusion this has caused.

I just got off the phone with them AGAIN. I got the same story as I got last week from a different rep. They can't tell me anything!! I am having family in town this week and we have nowhere to sit around my new dining room table. I will NEVER order from Ballard again. The girl I spoke to today said it will be two days before they can tell me where my furniture is. TWO DAYS.

2015-12-08

"I ordered an item for a Christmas gift and shipped it to another address due to it being for my wife. Item was shipped correctly, but then a thank you came to my billing address. My wife gets the mail as I am at work, so she knows what she is getting for Christmas now. "

2015-07-31

"I purchased a large rug and several outdoor cushions on 6/5/2015. The cushions arrived and so far are great. The rug was oversized and came by truck delivery. After receiving it I discovered the color was nothing like the catalog and called to return. They said trucking co. would contact to arrange pickup. After 2 more calls over 1 week trucking co. picked up (unscheduled, I was lucky to be home) on June 29. Credit card was charged for all purchases on 6/5, as of today, 7/31 I am still awaiting the full credit for the rug, I realized I would not be reimbursed for shipping but they are withholding 15% that I was promised would be credited on 7/22. I received some credit (on 7/27) after numerous calls. Explanations over the 6 week ordeal were they had to wait 3 weeks from pickup date to check with trucking co. and file a report to track the rug, it would take 3-4 days for credit request to go through, they were very busy with the Holiday, etc. I am still waiting on $92 credit for something they had charged me on 6/5....will not ever order again."

2015-07-25

"Terrible customer service representative. She did not listen to what I was saying at all. She just kept repeating the same "answer" to my question over and over without actually listening to and understanding my question. Her "answer" was no help whatsoever. I won't shop at Ballard again. "

2015-06-19

"What a nightmare. I will never purchase from them again.
We purchased a daybed. They shiped the bed without the screws necessary to put it together. I had to make at least five phone calls to them to get the screws shipped successfully-- responses from Ballard included: we never entered your request for screws into the system; that bed doesnt need screws (it does); screws should have been the box (they werent); ok, we shipped you new screws; ooops, it looks like we never actually shipped them; etc. Just horrible customer service. We finally got the two screws needed three weeks after we got that bed itself.

After all that, once we were able to put bed together, we realized it looked ridiculous. The description online said it was great for a home office, as it would work equally well for client seating during the day and a convenient place to put guests at night. This thing was so high off the ground, I needed a stool to get on it. The only client that would ever sit there could be Lily Tomlin as Edith Ann (think: oversized rocking chair).

I had to go through a bit of a review process (submit pictures, etc) to even get a return approved, because it was allegedly "custom" -- white twill fabric daybed, custom?-- but eventually they approved it. My return was approved on May 7, 2014.

I spent the next couple weeks calling Ballard repeatedly to get authorzation for their delivery company to make the pickup. Finally, we got something scheduled by May 22. I took the day off from work to wait for the driver, who gave me a window of 12-5. He never showed. Someone came out the next morning to pick it up. That was May 23, 2014.

Today is June 19, 2014 and I still have not received my refund. I have called multiple times over the past three weeks, asking for eta. Each time I have been told: it's not in the system yet, give it a few more days, these things take time. Today I spoke with someone who said it looked like the return was just never logged. The represenative I talked to today entered it, said it had to go to another department, and that it would take up to 48 hours, not including weekends of course.

So, when all is said and done, I have wasted at least half a dozen hours of my time on this one return, which, assuming Ballard actually acts on their statement, should finally be processed next week. Over six full weeks from the date I requested a return. Just absurd. There are too many GREAT GREAT GREAT companies out there, who bend over backwards for their customers. Don't give your hard earned money to Ballard.

2014-12-30

"Spammy spam spam. You say you don't want email or mail catalogs, yet, they send you just that. No means no. And you expect us to give you more money? "

Share Ballard Designs's store rating

Ballard Designs is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Ballard Designs is not a merchant member
Ballard Designs does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!