Stores > Ballard Designs

• Ballard Designs

2016-06-09

Awful customer service!

"I should had know when I first called to place an order what type of company this was. The item I had ordered was in there Catalog at one price but when I called to place the order the rep told me another price which was 100$ more than what was quoted in the catalog. He then proceeded to tell me that that price was a sale price for the spring (it was May when I purchased the item, just saying). So after much debate on my part and noting but an "I'm sorry mam" on his part I went ahead an ordered anyway, clearly I wasn't getting anywhere. A week later the shipping company calls me to schedule a delivery and what I learn from them is they just come and drop it in my door way without setting up or even taking it from the box, mind you at this point I've spend 1600$ with a 200$ delivery fee! I called to see what could be done given I am quite a small women and how on earth was I going to lift this item to its proper place in my home let alone put it together. After talking to the customer service rep for twenty minutes explaining to her that it was completely misleading and that I should has been told that the item would had just been left under a covered spot on my porch. She then transfered me to a manager who did nothing but say that if I paid another 100$ on top of the 200$ delivery fee already that they could take it out of the box but will not set it up as they are not insured for that. I was beside myself!! Oh and the repeated "I'm very sorry" but nothing else honestly he was quit rude. For a company who sells a large amount of large items one would think that they have proper shipping methods and insurance in place...I will never purchase from then again! "

2016-02-13

Customer Service is very unhelpful.

"I have ordered from Ballard Designs a few times in the past and like the items in the magazine and went to make a significant purchase (over $600) but by the time I got online to do so (because of a reconstructive knee surgery) my coupon had expired 2 days prior. I called to see if there was anyway they could honor this since like I said I had quite a few things to purchase and customer service couldn't offer me anything. You would think this store would want my money and be willing to honor the code or a manager or someone could give me a new code or take my order over the phone and do something to help their customer. This was not the case and is very disappointing since there were a few things that I really liked, but I will shop else ware from now on unless I can get the 20% off. "

This review was modified by LAS10 on February 13 2016 06:00:21 AM

2015-12-14

"I ordered a settee and two side chairs back in September and it's December 14th. I still don't have my order. When I placed the order I used a total of four $500 American Express gift cards over the phone as well as my debit card number for a small amount. In November I received an email saying my credit card was DECLINED! I had already received a confirmation email saying that my order was scheduled for delivery on December 7th so I called to see what the issue was. There was NO RECORD of me using the gift cards. I was mortified. I kept the used cards for a few weeks but I thought surely after over a month went by I was holding onto them for no reason and trashed them. So I had no way to tell them what the numbers were. After sending the confirmation email to the rep I had spoken to on the phone, I get this response...

Ballard: Dear Jennifer, Thank you for contacting Ballard Designs. I have received your email and have attached your confirmation to the order for review.

Me: Thanks Andrea, My bank is going to forward me Septembers statement and... you said you found one of the gift cards? Just one, not all of them?

Ballard: Hi Jennifer, The gift cards that I have is the one that you gave me on the phone yesterday ending in *7804 exp 12/22 and the one that we were able to locate on the order ends in *6098 exp 12/23.

Me: Can you tell me the status of my order? If you even found one of the cards you should have all of them. I called and gave them ALL over the phone at the same time.

Ballard: Jennifer, The Estimated Shipping Date has not changed on the 2 Hayward Side Chairs and the Hayward Settee, they are showing Dec. 7, 15. The order status email that you received was an email showing that we shipped the selected fabric to our Vendor to cover the items. I do apologize for any confusion this has caused.

I just got off the phone with them AGAIN. I got the same story as I got last week from a different rep. They can't tell me anything!! I am having family in town this week and we have nowhere to sit around my new dining room table. I will NEVER order from Ballard again. The girl I spoke to today said it will be two days before they can tell me where my furniture is. TWO DAYS.

This review was modified by jennifer_becker on December 14 2015 12:49:33 PM

2015-12-08

"I ordered an item for a Christmas gift and shipped it to another address due to it being for my wife. Item was shipped correctly, but then a thank you came to my billing address. My wife gets the mail as I am at work, so she knows what she is getting for Christmas now. "

This review was modified by Shawnm2 on December 08 2015 08:26:07 AM

2015-07-31

"I purchased a large rug and several outdoor cushions on 6/5/2015. The cushions arrived and so far are great. The rug was oversized and came by truck delivery. After receiving it I discovered the color was nothing like the catalog and called to return. They said trucking co. would contact to arrange pickup. After 2 more calls over 1 week trucking co. picked up (unscheduled, I was lucky to be home) on June 29. Credit card was charged for all purchases on 6/5, as of today, 7/31 I am still awaiting the full credit for the rug, I realized I would not be reimbursed for shipping but they are withholding 15% that I was promised would be credited on 7/22. I received some credit (on 7/27) after numerous calls. Explanations over the 6 week ordeal were they had to wait 3 weeks from pickup date to check with trucking co. and file a report to track the rug, it would take 3-4 days for credit request to go through, they were very busy with the Holiday, etc. I am still waiting on $92 credit for something they had charged me on 6/5....will not ever order again."

This review was modified by boystowne on July 31 2015 01:10:07 PM

2015-07-25

"Terrible customer service representative. She did not listen to what I was saying at all. She just kept repeating the same "answer" to my question over and over without actually listening to and understanding my question. Her "answer" was no help whatsoever. I won't shop at Ballard again. "

This review was modified by VictoriaRC on July 25 2015 04:46:32 PM

2015-06-19

"What a nightmare. I will never purchase from them again.
We purchased a daybed. They shiped the bed without the screws necessary to put it together. I had to make at least five phone calls to them to get the screws shipped successfully-- responses from Ballard included: we never entered your request for screws into the system; that bed doesnt need screws (it does); screws should have been the box (they werent); ok, we shipped you new screws; ooops, it looks like we never actually shipped them; etc. Just horrible customer service. We finally got the two screws needed three weeks after we got that bed itself.

After all that, once we were able to put bed together, we realized it looked ridiculous. The description online said it was great for a home office, as it would work equally well for client seating during the day and a convenient place to put guests at night. This thing was so high off the ground, I needed a stool to get on it. The only client that would ever sit there could be Lily Tomlin as Edith Ann (think: oversized rocking chair).

I had to go through a bit of a review process (submit pictures, etc) to even get a return approved, because it was allegedly "custom" -- white twill fabric daybed, custom?-- but eventually they approved it. My return was approved on May 7, 2014.

I spent the next couple weeks calling Ballard repeatedly to get authorzation for their delivery company to make the pickup. Finally, we got something scheduled by May 22. I took the day off from work to wait for the driver, who gave me a window of 12-5. He never showed. Someone came out the next morning to pick it up. That was May 23, 2014.

Today is June 19, 2014 and I still have not received my refund. I have called multiple times over the past three weeks, asking for eta. Each time I have been told: it's not in the system yet, give it a few more days, these things take time. Today I spoke with someone who said it looked like the return was just never logged. The represenative I talked to today entered it, said it had to go to another department, and that it would take up to 48 hours, not including weekends of course.

So, when all is said and done, I have wasted at least half a dozen hours of my time on this one return, which, assuming Ballard actually acts on their statement, should finally be processed next week. Over six full weeks from the date I requested a return. Just absurd. There are too many GREAT GREAT GREAT companies out there, who bend over backwards for their customers. Don't give your hard earned money to Ballard.

This review was modified by bellis23 on June 19 2015 08:27:36 AM

2014-12-30

"Spammy spam spam. You say you don't want email or mail catalogs, yet, they send you just that. No means no. And you expect us to give you more money? "

This review was modified by calvin_ on December 30 2014 10:34:02 AM

2014-11-01

We purchased a Baldwin sofa and Baldwin love seat from Ballard Design on 9/7/10 for $2474.93.

The support spring and frame gave out almost immediately- and we are not 300 pound people.

After much complaining, they were replaced in July 2012.

The structural problems occurred with the replacement items. And we have had to stuff many bed pillows under the sofa and Love seat pillows so we don't hurt our backs.

On 4/15/14 we complained again and asked for a refund or replacements. On 5/28/14 a Ms Tuttle of Ballard said they would do neither.

Being over 65 years old, I feel that Ballard Designs is taking advantage of senior citizens.

Stu and Diane Williams
Palm Harbor, Florida

This review was modified by ozona on November 01 2014 12:32:33 PM

2014-10-28

"Horrible service, they screwed up everything from the order shipment to the return. I had to call them 10 times and have yet to receive a refund for the over $3,000 we spent on deck furniture that we had to return due to mold... "

2014-07-22

"I purchased two identical lights from Ballard Designs. One was in perfect condition, but the second light came with a glass shade that was the wrong size for the light. I called customer service and was told that a replacement shade would be sent to me. After not receiving a replacement for 10 days I called customer service again. At that time I was told I would have to pay for a new light and I would be refunded when I returned the original. Fine, I paid for a new light. The replacement came and again the shade wasn't the right size. I called customer service again and they ordered a replacement for me and assured me that they would have the manufacturer make sure the shade would fit. I received the replacement light from the manufacturer and for a third time I received the incorrect shade. I finally called the manufacturer directly instead of dealing with Ballard Designs and spoke to someone who could actually help me. The manufacturer sent me a replacement part and the lights look great. I called Ballard for a refund since they failed to credit me back the $160 that I was charged for the replacement (why would that be easy?). Of course I was told that a credit could take 3-5 days even though they received the return a week ago. I'm sure I wouldn't have received a refund if I hadn't called. When I asked if they could give me any other refund since this has been going on for almost 7 weeks I was told (by a manager none-the-less) that they could give me a $25 gift card. I spent $400 on two lights from these guys and I was given the run-around for close to two months. The only way this problem was even solved was by me calling the manufacturer. How is a $25 gift card to their terrible company an appropriate refund for the 5 phone calls and two months of this nonsense?

I'll never buy from them and I've instructed my interior designer friend who told me about this company to stop purchasing from them.

This review was modified by TBIZ on July 22 2014 11:07:17 AM

2014-01-05

"I spent a lot of money on some table bases that were not delivered. The customer service reps tried to tell me I had the date and time wrong (of course I did not). Then they refused to transfer me to a supervisor, claiming they were busy catching up from the holidays and not accepting calls. I was disconnected twice; called a total of 9 times trying to find out why the scheduled delivery did not happen. I was finally told that the driver (you mean there's only ONE to make deliveries?????!!) called in sick. Yet no one called customers to reschedule. My delivery was rescheduled for Saturday by the freight company again, whose rep guaranteed me it would be done in the afternoon, so I made arrangements again to have someone available to receive the items. No show and no call - again. I cancelled my order and wrote to the leadership at Ballard in Ohio (headquarters) detailing the horrible experience - and demanded the return of my money. NEVER order from this company! I wish I had found the customer service and delivery reviews before purchasing from them. NEVER AGAIN!!!! BEWARE."

This review was modified by cr8v1 on January 05 2014 09:14:19 AM

2013-05-14

"Horrible company, Their product look like crap and they kept changing the shipping date for my items. I order one month in advance and they never sent me my items. This is a fraudulent company with the worst customer service!"

This review was modified by k0k0911 on May 14 2013 08:16:45 AM

2011-12-19

"What a load of incompetent, inept and unprofessional people Ballard Designs are. Trying to order online for a delivery to Australia found that they had no secure payment system, quoted me shipping to Canada and finally delivered the goods to Bayside NY. Only 10,000 miles away.
After 28 years in business and a number of years online ordering I would not like anyone else to suffer this way so Don't use them they are crap.

2011-08-05

"Do not do business with Ballard Designs. Ballard Designs will never grant a refund. They will claim that your order is a non-refundable custom order even though the order itself says nothing about that. They will also claim that every item included in what they characterize as a "custom" order is non-refundable, including previously-manufactured metal items."

Share Ballard Designs's store rating

Ballard Designs is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Ballard Designs is not a merchant member
Ballard Designs does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!