Stores > Ballard Designs

Product & services pricing Rating 3.00/10 3.00/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.67/10 1.67/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.67/10 1.67/10
Voice your opinion! Review Ballard Designs by clicking a star below.
2017-09-08

Poor quality. Poor customer service!

"Similar to other reviewers, I received a damaged item. It was the beadboard entry cabinet. Long story short...Customer service lied during my calls with them phone and refused any reasonable resolution. They then lied to my credit card dispute department. Bottom line... Customers should NOT incur costs for shipping and replacement of items REVEIVED damaged.
As I think back...my only other truly SUBSTANCIAL purchase from Ballard Designs were some dining chairs. They arrived with stained legs that were significantly different from chair to chair (wrong finish shipped on some of the legs...not just normal variation in the wood.) More trouble than It's worth ordering from this company then having to correct their errors! Buy from another company! (And just use their lovely catalogues for IDEAS only!!)

2017-08-29

$300+ Product Arrived Damaged; Terrible Customer Service

"HORRIBLE first-time experience. Purchased the Olivia cocktail table online at the recommendation of an interior designer I hired to redesign my living and dining room. Was excited to receive this new table.

The Olivia cocktail table arrived quickly and was packaged well; however, upon removing the glass top of the table, I immediately noticed a one inch-long cut in the glass top. The base of the table had a "QC" tag attached to it so I am not sure how this item was shipped. First, I contact the Ballard Design store located about 20 miles from my house. The customer service rep tells me I can repackage the table and bring the table into the store for an exchange. The box is 40 inches long, so I obviously cannot wrap my arms around the box. What's more, I later learn the store has a drop-off option but the lady I speak to never tells me about the "drop-off" option when I express frustration about bringing a huge 40' x 29' box in with small children in tow.

I then call the 800 number. This customer service rep tells me to repackage the table and UPS would pick up. If I want to exchange it and would like my table immediately, then I can pay for a new table and a refund would be issued when they receive the table I am returning. Obviously, returning this large item is a huge inconvenience. Reshipping a replacement glass top would have been much appreciated. I called the 800 number again to speak with a supervisor, expressing the inconvenience and asking they ship a replacement glass top. The supervisor tells me UPS will not ship a glass top due to safety issues. So. You can purchase a mirror online, but Ballard Design won't ship a glass top?

This purchase is my first and last from ballarddesigns.com. I now have a damaged $300 cocktail table that looks like someone took a razor blade to the mirrored top of it.

Also, ballarddesign.com won't let you post a one-star review even if you keep it to a few sentences and just the facts. Have tried twice to publish a one-star review and both times I receive an e-mail that says the review doesn't meet their guidelines. Why have a one-star option if you don't let customers publish it?

Save yourself the stress and stay far away from this company!

2017-08-07

Untrained New Roosevelt Field Store Salespeople

"My husband and I wasted our entire afternoon at the new store in Roosevelt Field because salesperson did not know shipping policies, product information or how to place an order.

The very first question we asked was could we place an order and pick up at the store to save on shipping.

One and half hrs later, after fumbling with the computer trying to log in, entering the order, accidentally deleting the order, reentering the order, asking a co worker to assist her to no avail and finally tracking down the manager, we were told that part of the order must be shipped to our home and not to the store because it was over sized. The same rug in 2 x 3 and 3 x 5 also had to be shipped so obviously the size explanation didn't make sense.

I complained online to customer service and got a ridiculous non caring response. Same day we stopped at Pottery Barn- sales person was helpful- knew the products, knew their policies & explained why there was an advantage for me to shop there VS ordering online. I will never shop at Ballard again.

2017-07-03

You pay for shipping & they decide how cheap to send it

"We ordered an outdoor umbrella from Ballard Designs and WE paid $30 for shipping. Ballard shipped both packages thru UPS & then sent one of the packages to USPS for the Post Office to deliver 4 DAYS LATER. Both items could have been delivered by the same UPS driver but no, Ballard shipped both to UPS & then UPS shipped one package to the Post Office for them to deliver 4 days later. WHY? The second package was small, the package UPS delivered was large, they were coming to the house anyway??? I would like Ballard to refund my shipping costs since we had NO say in how the item was shipped. We even called UPS to stop delivery to the USPS 4 days before it was delivered, they refused to go on the truck going to the USPS, get the package and hold it, EVEN THOUGH ON THE UPS WEBSITE IT SAYS YOU CAN HAVE THEM HOLD THE PACKAGE AT UPS FOR PICKUP. Don't buy at Ballard Designs unless you are willing to wait forever to get your item. And to be clear, Ballard Designs NEVER told us they were shipping the umbrella by two different delivery companies. WE even called them when they sent the shipping notice by email, 2 days AFTER they shipped, only to be told both items were coming by US mail. They don't have a clue on how to run a company . AND, we purchased another umbrella, exactly the same, 2 weeks before, as a gift, it was sent to our house so we could assemble the umbrella before we gave it to our son. BOTH PACKAGES WERE DELIVERED TO OUR HOUSE ON THE SAME DAY BY UPS! Go figure."

2017-07-02

Clueless workers

"I ordered pillows on 5/20. I called customer service 6/17 because I never got them. The woman I spoke with said they were being shipped 6/20. Annoyed, but whatever. 6/30 I still have no pillows. I call again and find out my order mysteriously was cancelled. I feel under such situation they should over night an order to make things right, but no I'd have to start all over and the order would take 10 business days. The summer would be over practically..."

Albuquerque, NM
2017-06-22

Dollar Store Quality and Poor Customer Service

"# Ballarddesigns #Ballard quality on 500. Item awful. Upon unpacking , It was falling apart and poorly constructed . Materials very cheap . Worse than Walmart quality .Tiny staples for heavy- 53 x 83 inch chalkboard . Frame separated from chalkboard . I could talk to no one that had shred of emphathy for my situation, all fault of Ballard. Delivery via Ballard by JB Hunt took from 4/28/17 until June 22/2017. Ballard refuses to refund my money until JB Hunt picks up (months from now?) . I find this unacceptable . This company , Ballard, appears to be somewhat of a #fraud misrepresenting quality and customer service , which is unfortunate as I had high hopes for the 5,790 SF new home I am building . However it appears I would be very unwise to do future business with them. "

2017-06-10

No quality

"Sadly, I am another customer who found out too late that there is no customer service or company accountability on the part of Ballard. When I tried to give an honest review of a product I received on their website, they told me they would not post it as it spoke to shipping issues and they apparently don't count or they won't deal with this failing in their organization. I ordered a product early this winter and learned within a week or so that it was backordered and would not ship until May. In April, they pushed that out to mid June alerting me with an email; yet the very next day I got snother email from Ballard stating the item just shipped and I would be contacted to arrange a delivery date from their contract shipper. When I called customer service at Ballard to let them know that a fsmily emergency took me out of town and I would not be able to be home for any delivery, I was first told, don't worry, it will take weeks for the delivery still. Yet the next day I was contacted by the shipper telling me that I needed to set the delivery date and if I did not, they would return the item to Ballard. Further calls to Ballard were fruitless and frustrating- I finally got bumped to a customer relations person who just arranged a delivery date in June with the hope I would be home to accept it. Well, the item was delivered this past Friday. The delivery company never called to confirm the delivery so when it became 1 hour from the end of the 4 hour window snd they still were not there, I tried to get in touch with both Ballard's rep and the delivery company. They confirmed it was going to be delivered; the delivery team then called and said they would be at least an hour beyond the window they promised. And that white glove service? For the $100 plus extra charged, the delivery is to your front door only. Really? Even the delivery team was embarrassed and did bring the Huge box over the threshold. I still had to unpack a box bigger than me and get the item into my home. The actual product after all this? An uncomfortable Thurston wing chair with stiff cushioning and poor quality upholstery. So my recommendation: don't buy anything from Ballard Designs and tell the company thar owns them, HSNi Cornerstone, that you won't accept this lack of quality by also refusing to buy anything fro their other vendors - Frontgate, HSN, Grandin Road, Garnet Hill and Improvements."

2017-04-17

Badly damaged Casa Florentina Hutch

"Horrible experience with supposedly high-end Casa Florentina line. Waited 6 months to get my kitchen hutch and the top hutch was completely damaged (see photos), likely due to the far insufficient packing. They offered a replacement with ANOTHER 6-month wait, or I could keep it with a discount that would void the 1-year warranty as to the entire product (including the base which was not damaged). Avoid Casa Florentina!"

2017-04-14

"I ordered a beautiful duvet cover and shams. The quality of the material was way better than expected especially for the price. I also receive my order within two days. I will definitely recommend this website and will be ordering from them again!! "

2017-03-25

Worst Customer Service I Have Ever Experienced

"We are in the process of furnishing a home. In one room, two of the three pieces were ordered from Ballard. Both arrived damaged. Two times in one month we ordered from them. Two times we received damaged items. In return for your privilege of ordering damaged goods from them, you get to spend your time boxing it back up and waiting at home for UPS to pick it up and then wait again for a new, hopefully undamaged replacement to be shipped once the original is in their hands. Or, if you want a replacement sooner, you get to pay for BOTH the damaged and undamaged item, until they get the damaged item back and then they will issue a credit. In addition to these privileges, you get to deal with customer service people who operate like used car salesman that you have to drag information out of and treat you rudely. It's a shame because when I placed my order, the person was very pleasant and helpful. I will be sticking with Pottery Barn. Bye bye Ballard. "

2017-02-21

Dishonest description/hidden costs

"Be aware if you order outdoor furniture from Ballard Design, they advertise that they come with "basic cushions included." The furniture actually requires "replacement cushions" - at the cost of hundreds of dollars. This is very unclear in the description. Ballard won't allow me to post my negative review on their website. (There are zero reviews of the furniture we purchased - the Maison collection.)"

2017-02-01

Worst company I have ever dealt with

"Ordered 5 items for my daughters apartment in December. Ordered was officially place 1/4/17. Seems easy right? Nothing has been easy. Every step of this order has been unprofessional, unreliable and late. Out of the 5 items, an end table was shipped separately by UPS.. I had no knowledge that this was being shipped and it arrived and was stolen. 2nd end table was shipped and waited all day to sign for it but did receive it. The others items were being shipped only to arrive 5 days past original date and not all 4 pieces were in the order. One of the pieces is now on back order until April. Really!! How could Ballards not know this in December when the original order was placed. A lot of my time has been spent on phone calls, emails and staying home just to receive shipments that should have all been shipped together in the first place. (By the way, a 3rd end table show up too.) Ballards, I'm not sure how you manage to completely screw up order after order after order but it seems that some reeducation on how to properly run a catalog business is needed. Just look to Lands End and LL Bean as a starting point. It can be done people, it really can!!!"

2016-10-12

Ballard won't even let customers spend money

"Ordered a mirror and concerned about shipping, decided to upgrade to Ballard's in home delivery of $25.00 additional shipping. Where product would be unpacked and inspected. Delivery team contact me for delivery, I need to be home for delivery, delivery team arrive drop off package and want to leave. I explain they are suppose to open it and see if it is broken and unpack, they very politely explained and showed me the freight bill/instructions which don't say that. I call Ballard, the first of 3 reps (each escalating in rudeness and disdain) say I didn't get charged for it. I explained, that while I appreciate that I needed it done, so can I add it on, the Delivery team will take care of this if I can add it on while there. NO! that is not going to happen. I was told because I was upset and confused not to treat them in a way that upsets them. I was given to a rep that constantly mispronounced my name and used disparging remarks and told that "he was sorry I didn't know what I was doing when I ordered the item, but nothing he could do now" I was given to yet a different person, who told me that I should be happy I had such low shipping (Ballard had a promotion on shipping) and be grateful for that. It was never about the cost, I needed the help to unpack and insure that if damaged they could return it. All I wanted to do was spend an additional $25.00 for upgraded shipping. What I ended up with was 1) rude, obnoxious people that don't care if they have customers (guess they might when they start cutting people) 2) It is my fault that this occured 3) I closed my account, which they wouldn't even help me with, told me I had to contact the bank that handles their in house cards. I bet they don't think people will follow through, but I did. Closed my account with a 5 digit limit over $25.00 that I wanted to spend.. They are a trash company. Nice products, but the people aren't worth it. I feel like I cheated on Pottery Barn"

2016-07-04

Worst customer service

"I recently ordered a chair and X bench in matching fabric. When they arrived the fabrics were different dye lots and clearly different colors. When it was brought to their attention, the response was less than desirable, Nnd clearly not in my best interest. Never again will I do business with this company."

2016-06-09

Awful customer service!

"I should had know when I first called to place an order what type of company this was. The item I had ordered was in there Catalog at one price but when I called to place the order the rep told me another price which was 100$ more than what was quoted in the catalog. He then proceeded to tell me that that price was a sale price for the spring (it was May when I purchased the item, just saying). So after much debate on my part and noting but an "I'm sorry mam" on his part I went ahead an ordered anyway, clearly I wasn't getting anywhere. A week later the shipping company calls me to schedule a delivery and what I learn from them is they just come and drop it in my door way without setting up or even taking it from the box, mind you at this point I've spend 1600$ with a 200$ delivery fee! I called to see what could be done given I am quite a small women and how on earth was I going to lift this item to its proper place in my home let alone put it together. After talking to the customer service rep for twenty minutes explaining to her that it was completely misleading and that I should has been told that the item would had just been left under a covered spot on my porch. She then transfered me to a manager who did nothing but say that if I paid another 100$ on top of the 200$ delivery fee already that they could take it out of the box but will not set it up as they are not insured for that. I was beside myself!! Oh and the repeated "I'm very sorry" but nothing else honestly he was quit rude. For a company who sells a large amount of large items one would think that they have proper shipping methods and insurance in place...I will never purchase from then again! "

Share Ballard Designs's store rating

Ballard Designs is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Ballard Designs is not a merchant member
Ballard Designs does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!