Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

"I purchased two identical lights from Ballard Designs. One was in perfect condition, but the second light came with a glass shade that was the wrong size for the light. I called customer service and was told that a replacement shade would be sent to me. After not receiving a replacement for 10 days I called customer service again. At that time I was told I would have to pay for a new light and I would be refunded when I returned the original. Fine, I paid for a new light. The replacement came and again the shade wasn't the right size. I called customer service again and they ordered a replacement for me and assured me that they would have the manufacturer make sure the shade would fit. I received the replacement light from the manufacturer and for a third time I received the incorrect shade. I finally called the manufacturer directly instead of dealing with Ballard Designs and spoke to someone who could actually help me. The manufacturer sent me a replacement part and the lights look great. I called Ballard for a refund since they failed to credit me back the $160 that I was charged for the replacement (why would that be easy?). Of course I was told that a credit could take 3-5 days even though they received the return a week ago. I'm sure I wouldn't have received a refund if I hadn't called. When I asked if they could give me any other refund since this has been going on for almost 7 weeks I was told (by a manager none-the-less) that they could give me a $25 gift card. I spent $400 on two lights from these guys and I was given the run-around for close to two months. The only way this problem was even solved was by me calling the manufacturer. How is a $25 gift card to their terrible company an appropriate refund for the 5 phone calls and two months of this nonsense?

I'll never buy from them and I've instructed my interior designer friend who told me about this company to stop purchasing from them.

modified review This review was modified by TBIZ on July 22 2014 11:07:17 AM

"I spent a lot of money on some table bases that were not delivered. The customer service reps tried to tell me I had the date and time wrong (of course I did not). Then they refused to transfer me to a supervisor, claiming they were busy catching up from the holidays and not accepting calls. I was disconnected twice; called a total of 9 times trying to find out why the scheduled delivery did not happen. I was finally told that the driver (you mean there's only ONE to make deliveries?????!!) called in sick. Yet no one called customers to reschedule. My delivery was rescheduled for Saturday by the freight company again, whose rep guaranteed me it would be done in the afternoon, so I made arrangements again to have someone available to receive the items. No show and no call - again. I cancelled my order and wrote to the leadership at Ballard in Ohio (headquarters) detailing the horrible experience - and demanded the return of my money. NEVER order from this company! I wish I had found the customer service and delivery reviews before purchasing from them. NEVER AGAIN!!!! BEWARE."

modified review This review was modified by cr8v1 on January 05 2014 09:14:19 AM

"Horrible company, Their product look like crap and they kept changing the shipping date for my items. I order one month in advance and they never sent me my items. This is a fraudulent company with the worst customer service!"

modified review This review was modified by k0k0911 on May 14 2013 08:16:45 AM

"What a load of incompetent, inept and unprofessional people Ballard Designs are. Trying to order online for a delivery to Australia found that they had no secure payment system, quoted me shipping to Canada and finally delivered the goods to Bayside NY. Only 10,000 miles away.
After 28 years in business and a number of years online ordering I would not like anyone else to suffer this way so Don't use them they are crap.

"Do not do business with Ballard Designs. Ballard Designs will never grant a refund. They will claim that your order is a non-refundable custom order even though the order itself says nothing about that. They will also claim that every item included in what they characterize as a "custom" order is non-refundable, including previously-manufactured metal items."

LCH

"DO NOT RISK AN ORDER WITH THIS COMPANY. The service department is inept and indifferent if anything goes wrong on your order. I ordered an IN STOCK sofa in August. (My receipt is proof)After 2 weeks I called to check delivery date and my nightmare began.Only after threatening a LAWSUIT 60 days later was my sofa finally delivered. 60 days, 12 supervisors (beware - the supervisors provide only 1st names - try asking for "Susan- the supervisor I spoke to at 2:01 pm on Thursday who said she would get back to me that same day and today is Tuesday the following week and she hasn't" and the operater tells you "Which Susan - we have 12 supervisors named Susan".And so it goes for 60 DAYS!!! I spoke to 14 one named supervisors, spent 30 hours total on the phone.(I work part time and had the freedom to spend that kind of time on following up my order - how many of you could invest that kind of time "on hold" and explaining your problem over and over and over to the next supervisor? Anyone?)Had Ballard been honest from the beginning and told me the item was in fact NOT IN STOCK I would have had the option to order from someone else. Instead they strung me along until it was too late. When the sofa arrived no one from Ballard followed up - no apology - NOTHING. BEWARE OF ORDERING WITH THIS COMPANY. MISINFORMATION( a nice way of saying they string you along with lies until your next phone call) is their MO. Shop elsewhere. "

"Do yourself a favor and do not order from this company. My first order was placed on August 23rd and has still yet to be shipped. My second order (what was I thinking) was just placed on Monday. Item shipped but to wrong address, spent 32 minutes on the phone with them and today received a call from the trucking company but with yet another wrong address. After a half hour on the phone with customer service yet again, I was told someone would contact me within 48 hours! The shipping fees were not as I was told and was charged 240.95 for items I have yet to receive from August. SHOP ELSEWHERE"

"I have ordered many items over the last nine years. Most of the time I have been pleased with the items and service. However, it can be uneven in both categories. Recently I tried to get information about a $1400 leather recliner I had purchased in 2005 that had broken. At the same time, I placed a new order. I have had nothing but one run around after another in the last two weeks. Emails and phone calls have resulted in promises of return calls, but I have heard nothing. I'm left confused about their attitude. I have decided to not use this site again."

"Ordered a rug thru the website. It arrived in just over a week, however it must have not gone thru any Quality Control at all. There were over 15 missing stitches that were very obvious in the Safeih Rug. They appeared as small holes all over the rug. I was issued a return label for UPS and was expected to drop it off for shipment. I called customer service to request a pickup as I live 15 miles from the nearest UPS store. Customer service set up a pick up with UPS and it was picked up in one business day. My dissatisfaction stems from the lack of any tracking numbers being issued when the order is being shipped. In fact my original order never changed, always showing in progress. Having dealt with other online companies I feel this is a real problem with Ballard Designs, the lack of any tracking information what so ever."

"I recommend never using this website. Nothing they have is worth the hassle I went through. I was shipped the wrong order twice by the vendor and two months later I still do not have a comforter for my bed. One of the customer service reps I talked to was extremely rude and I still have the wrong comforter in my closet as I am waiting for the vendor to issue a UPS label so I can drive it across town to be returned yet again. I finally cancelled my order because Ballard Designs was not able to confirm an item # with their vendor one week later after I received the wrong item for the second time. Even if they were able to confirm the item # today, which they could not guarantee, I would still have to wait a potential 4 - 6 weeks LONGER to get the correct comforter. "

Ballard Designs is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Ballard Designs is not a merchant member
Ballard Designs does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!