• Backdrop Outlet

Product & services pricing Rating 6.50/10 6.50/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 0.63/10 0.63/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10

"Customer service is hit or miss. It's probably not a good sign however that I have had to contact customer service on several occasions, even though I have only ordered from them 3 times. When something is on backorder, they do NOT say so on their page. I have been waiting for over 2 months for a baby poser. It has shown as available on their web page the entire time. It wasn't until the 3rd time I asked about it that they finally said it was held up because of the LA shipyard strike.
Diamond Cloth - The original folding wrinkles are extremely difficult to remove with a steamer. Washing doesn't reallyl remove them either. Cloth does not hang straight until it is completely dry after steaming. If you want a smooth backdrop with little or no dewrinkling/steaming, this definitely isn't for you!
Titanium Cloth - Still has small wrinkles that need to be steamed. Doesn't hang straight, even when dry. Ultra Colorsmacks (aka Silverlake) are of substantially better quality.
TC5001 - is extremely orange. Not really gold color at all. Tried several times and could never get convincing bokeh. Must be dewrinkled prior to use. It took several attempts to get a return authorization number so I could return it (and I had to send photos).
TC910 - pretty good bokeh, but circles are much larger than they appear on the web page. Must be dewrinkled.

The "Order Status" page sometimes shows I have orders and sometimes it is blank - like I've never ordered anything. Only unshipped orders appear.
I might order from them again (since I have store credit from returning the gold bokeh backdrop), but I would be extremely cautious.

modified review This review was modified by ZigsGal77 on March 11 2015 04:46:58 PM

"I ordered a Backdrop with expedited shipping but was unable to get it in time for my shoot. Partly my fault for waiting till the last minute to order it. I am going to give them another try, Rob & Heidi are very customer centered and I like that. "

modified review This review was modified by ScottyB777 on February 17 2015 01:35:53 PM

"I ordered with this company in December, I received my payment confirmation and then.......nothing. The site said it could take 14-21 to be printed/processed, and with the holidays, I figured I would give them until the beginning of January. Jan 8, a package arrived on my doorstep. No "your order shipped", no tracking number, nothing. Only 2 of my 3 items arrived. We have a problem with things being stolen in the neighborhood, so knowing when things are supposed to arrive is incredibly important.

I tried calling their customer service number at this point to find out if there was an error or another package coming, but every time someone answered the phone, no matter what phone I used (cell phones from different providers), they couldn't hear me. I figured there was some sort of phone line error, tried back hours later, and it was still happening. Therefore, I sent an email asking about the order. Luckily, the third piece showed up the next day and I just happened to be walking out the door to a shoot when it did, or it might have been stolen sitting out there for the whole evening. I have still not received even a cursory response back from the company other than an auto "we got your email". Quite a mediocre experience and I won't be shopping there again. The products I received weren't the quality I expected and definitely not worth the stress. I actually got my product in a decent time frame, unlike others, but the company's lack of communication doesn't make for customer loyalty.

modified review This review was modified by vannienicole on January 14 2015 11:58:07 AM

"I would leave zero stars if I could, and I'm not one to usually complain about anything.

I order online constantly and this is the first purchase I've had such trouble with in my entire lifetime of internet shopping. I ordered from Backdrop Outlet during one of their special Black Friday deal days which was in November, hoping to have some nice christmas gifts for my photographer family member. After 2 weeks went by with no shipping update, I was getting weary that I would not receive the items in time as I am in Canada. I called them up and spoke with a girl who said they "should probably ship next week". I wasn't happy with that answer so I decided to cancel my order.

I hadn't received any cancellation notice so I emailed multiple times to confirm that it was cancelled and never received any response. 2 weeks later I called back to confirm it was cancelled, spoke with a lady again who confirmed that it was, however I still hadn't received my refund. Multiple emails and attempts later, I still do not have my refund.

It's now a month later and I've had to get my credit card company involved to dispute the transaction -- again, the first time I've ever had to do this. I do not understand why my payment has not yet been refunded and will definitely not be purchasing from this company in the future and will not recommend them to anyone. Thankfully I was able to find another dealer who shipped immediately and I received it in 3 days flat with zero issues. After doing a search online, it seems that refunding people has been an issue with this company for a long time, with numerous complaints about others not receiving their refunds either.

As a business owner myself, I cannot understand how a company can be managed this way. Customer service is terrible, and holding onto a customer's money after an order has been cancelled is fraud. Stay away.

modified review This review was modified by d_fox on January 12 2015 09:06:08 AM

"Customer Service is nonexistent at this supplier. The company has mailed me two orders for backdrops in the wrong color. When I called to get a return verification I was told it could not be processed unless I texted them a picture of the item (one was white and not wine). Then I was told that they were too busy to process the return. I have not heard from them since. In the meantime, I had already placed an order for a Newborn prop, which arrived broken. Emailing the company prompts no response. The company representatives that I have talked to on the phone do not seem concerned or apologetic."

modified review This review was modified by freddie2 on December 08 2014 12:05:34 PM

"I placed an order for 3 backdrops. It said on the website that it could take 2-3 weeks for production. At 4 weeks I called and was told they were busy and it could take 6-8 weeks. At 8 weeks I called again to be told the printer was broken and it would be another 2 weeks. I have called 3 times since then and have been told the EXACT same thing (printer broke, backed up, 2 more weeks). I am now at 13 WEEKS!!!! and still NOTHING!!!! I called again today and they told me AGAIN another 2-3 weeks. I have customers waiting for these backdrops and was hoping to order more for Christmas and after that when I expand and set up my own studio (I work out of my home now) but after this I don't think I will ever order from them again and tell every photographer I know to do the same. I know things take time but 4 months is just terrible.

Today (Aug 7, 2012) I received a call from Erik Gupta, manager at Backdrop Outlet. He was very nice and understanding and upgraded me to different materials to ship out ASAP. I accepted 2 titanium cloths (which I was previously offered with additional charges) and one different type of floor with a non slip back (my main concern about this backdrop is that I plan to use it mostly as a floor with children and didn't want it to slip or bunch). He also said that he would keep the others in production so that if I do not like what I switched it out for I can return them and still get the candysticks I had originally ordered. I am still a little upset that it took so long for this situation to be resolved but I am happy that they did try to help in every way possible once they did get back to me. It was also nice to hear that they plan to discontinue the candysticks (type of backdrop I ordered) and replace it with something else because of the problems getting them to customers in a timely manner. All in all, I do really like their products and am willing to try these new backdrops out. Who knows, maybe I will love them and want more. :) I will update again in a few days after testing them out.......

I used one of the new backdrops in two shoots this past weekend (9/7/13). So far I am liking it a lot. It is wrinkle free, easy to pack up and set up, and there is no glare or reflection. The downside it that it is not very wide (kids move quickly and adults must be centered perfectly) and that it MUST be clamped down (whether to the stand or to a base board) so that it does not move and so the spot where it meets the floor is straight. I also don't like the artist signature in the corner. I understand they want credit but it is very large and distracting in the images. I had to retouch it out of a lot of images. Overall, I am pleased and am looking forward to ordering more in the future as I do really like how they photograph and how little space they take up.

modified review This review was modified by Kity821 on September 09 2013 02:15:57 PM

"Ordered my wife some camera equipment from them and she loved it. I shopped around for prices for awhile and found them being by far the cheapest. I chose the Ground shipping and expected it to come very slow but they upgraded my shipping to priority for free. I also ordered her one of those camera lens cup where it looks like lens but it's actually a cup lol. Cost me $14 and my wife loved it she couldn't stop laughing! She was more excited by that then the items I spent over a $100 on:) but she needed those items so she definitely liked those too.

Overall I enjoyed my experience and will again order some stuff for my wife again (most likely when I am in the dog house haha)

"It has been over 5 weeks since I placed my order. I have called twice and emailed with no help! I called today to cancelled my order. They said it would take 3 to 5 business days to get my refund. I also requested to get an email stating this and Ronnie told me this would happen in about 24 to 48 hours. We shall see! I will not be back. :(

Update: I did get a call from Erik and he offered a solution but I chose just to get my refund. Erik was very nice and helpful. I was also offered a $50 gift card to change my rating but I only changed my star rating on the refund service.

modified review This review was modified by kstanley2006 on September 21 2013 07:32:40 AM

"Placed my first order through them and it was good experience.I first thought that the prices seamed very high but then when I shopped around I realized wow these prices are actually amazing! I have to admit it did take about 3 weeks before my item was delivered but when you individually make each backdrop for every customer that is expected.

I just opened my studio and placed my first order the props were good quality and the price was great!! I will defiantly be coming back again. I hope I can get some customers to use these great items

"Had problems in the beginning with shipping and waiting too long for my product. However, that has been taken care of.
I just received a call from Eric at BDO who was very nice. He apologized for the delay, offered me two extra backdrops and said they are expecting the order on Monday.
UPDATE: I did receive my package when promised. EriK was very good to work with. Thank you so much... I will probably do business with them again. However, I will definitley check to make sure things are in stock.

"Had a delay with the order but the Product Manager Mr Gupta handled the situation with enthusiasm and thus happy customer."

"Order Diamond Cloth and absolutely love it. I needed some solid color backdrops and found this company by just searching on google. I ended up ordering Diamond Cloth in 3 colors and they are great. I ordered these and had them within about a week which was great because I choose the cheapest shipping available. When they came in I wasn't sure they were going to work out for because they were folded in these tiny little bags so I thought they might be badly wrinkled but when I got it out of the bag and hung them up they were wrinkle free and I was shooting with them in minutes. I love this product and can't wait to try more thanks so much!."

"After a delay in the production/shipping process, Erik from Backdrop Outlets went above and beyond to help us out. He was able to upgrade our order, provide faster shipping, and offered a $25 gift card for our troubles.

Overall we've had a great experience with the Backdrop Outlet team... looking forward to receiving our new backdrops soon.

"I have been a Professional Photographer since 1989 and have seen a lot of photography related business come and go but Backdrop Outlet has been a rock in this industry. I have been using the for over 20 years going back to there days in Chicago.

I recently ordered from them there new Titanium Cloth because I have primarily been a Muslin user but I hated the wrinkles and on there site i saw it claimed it was "Wrinkle Free" to be honest I was quite skeptical of this. When I picked from there excessively large selection I ended up going with the 8x8 size because I wanted the width and height enough to shoot a full grown adult. I placed this order on a Monday and got a shipping confirmation 2 days later on that Wed which was very fast! Normally in the Backdrop industry it takes some time to produce your piece.

When the order was delivered I was pleasantly surprised how great this material was! It is pretty much entirely Wrinkle Free and the printing on it was perfect. I love this backdrop, now if I can get some clients to shoot this on it will be even better :). Overall I enjoy dealing with this company!

modified review This review was modified by Wineo2678 on May 02 2013 11:22:08 AM

"I started shopping here back when I started my business back 2011 and haven't looked back since. While my business grew I have continued to shop with Backdrop Outlet for all my studios needs and they have always delivered and been very honest about everything. There sale prices let me keep my shoots and scenes at reasonable prices so I can keep a leg up on my competition. I have ordered so many of there different products you would think my garage studio is a Backdrop Outlet showroom LOL! I like shopping here and will continue to for the all my business needs."

Share Backdrop Outlet's store rating

Backdrop Outlet is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Backdrop Outlet is a merchant member
Backdrop Outlet participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. See all 1,841 merchant members.