BJ's Wholesale Club User

" I live a couple blocks from BJ's. I must drive about 5 miles to the other side of the city to go to Costco, but that's what I'll do from now on! Today was 3 out of 4 times that I went there for rotisserie chicken (between 4:30 & 5:30) and the rotisserie was clean and everyone was ready to go home even though the store was open for several more hours. After 6PM Costco still had plenty ready to sell and the rotisserie was still cooking another batch. The guy behind the chicken counter at BJ's said that they sometimes throw out as many as 20 chickens that didn't sell. I told him that Costco makes many different items (chicken salad, chicken Alfredo, etc...) out of the leftover chickens and they are very popular. Guy said BJ's was required by law to throw the chickens away. I don't think the laws are any different on the other side of town.
BJ's had about 12 - 15 cars in the lot; Costco had roughly 5 - 10 times that many (I didn't count but it took 2 or 3 minutes to even find a parking spot).
This is just one of countless hassles I've had with BJ's club #19. I can beat their prices on just about everything by shopping around, especially on the internet. Read the other reviews out there and save yourself the aggravation - GO TO COSTCO instead!!!

"Havent been to BJs in years. Today I used a 'free trial membership' coupon. Their prices suck! I left with nothing. WHY would I ever pay for a membership to shop there!? I wouldt shop there even without the required membership.
This was a Saturday afternoon, shouldve been busy...but only about 2 dozen people in there. And the people who were buying, only had a couple of items each, at checkout.
How are they still in business???

modified review This review was modified by notadumbass on July 05 2014 11:02:09 PM

"Tried to buy 2 computers online. They didnt accept my credit cards, I tried 3 different bank with absolutely no problems of balance, limit etc. Every time I contacted the customer care they gave me a different reason. I repeated the order about 15 times, which took me about 1.5 weeks. (They dont cancel the order right away, made me wait for a long time for some of the cancellations) In the end someone told me on the phone that they wont be able to sell these products to me. I cancelled my membership at that point and ordered from Amazon. Terrible customer service, and stupid sales representatives."

"I have been a member with Bj's for two years. Was a very committed Costco member, but we moved and the Costco is an hour away. Bj's is about 15mins away. Bj's always only has one cashier opened and the rest our do it your self service. I hate those, the few times I use them they always have problems with accepting the bar code and I have to wait anyways for a employee to come over to help. I refuse to use the self check out now and wait in line with two kids with over 5 people in front of me at the only cashier opened.
I'm a rewards member, and it takes 4-6 weeks for the rewards debit card. I waited 6 weeks. Today it is the first of the 7th week. I contacted them through there online live assistance, (which is just has bad has them not having any cashiers in the store) anyways I verified my address and was told the reward department has to investigate of why I didn't receive my rewards (which was apparently sent out in March) after they investigate we will now receive our rewards debit card in 6-8 weeks!!?!
Most likely when the card expires, I will pass right by Bj's and drive right to Costco, where they actually have cashiers at checkout and I have no problems with customer satisfaction.

modified review This review was modified by Pharmerswife on April 15 2013 09:06:46 AM

"Recently returned an item that i had purchased on-line at bjs.com and was told that i could only make the return by mail and only after i received a return authorization number from customer service. When i received this number i was told that i would only have 10 days to make the return by mail and that the return would be rejected if received after the 10 day period. I told my wife to mail the return (we paid for the postage) which she did but failed to get a tracking number. Bjs said they could only give me a credit adjustment with a tracking number----i told them that i could give them a copy of the postal receipt to no avail. Well at the end of the 10 day period they rejected my return ($13 amount) and that was it. I have a feeling that the return was received and they sat on it until the 10 day period expired. As of right now i do not have the returned item or a credit adjustment from bjs.
I have been a loyal bjs member for many years and they are not willing to treat as such in this matter. Their return policies are very bad and i will never buy anything from them on-line again and when my membership expires i will not renew and will probably sign up with costco who i hear has a much better return policy.

"I ordered the "Step2 Real Projects Workshop" for my son on the 15th. This was suppose to be his big Christmas present and he is 3 yrs old. It was not sent till the 20th and this pushed the initial FedEx delivery from the 22nd to the 27th and will now be late for Christmas.

It was suppose to be 3-5 day shipping according to the product description and was not cheap ($20 shipping).
Just thought this is ridiculous and even though I ordered on a Saturday, it should not have taken a total of 12 days to arrive for 3-5 day shipping.

*They also blocked my negative review on the product page. Never returned any emails to customercare@bjs.com to resolve the issue! Very sleazy company. Glad I belong to Costco and they don't have these in our area.

"Value for money for a big family...sign in to their mebership for exclusive offers & coupons"

"Specifically BJS.COM, their online retail branch. AVOID. They are typically slow to ship. They do typically include shipping charges in the displayed price, and as of the latter half of 2012 they are using FEDEX Ground. The problem with them is their cavalier attitude to packing for shipment. Experience now has demonstrated to me that their routine packing is no packing at all. They will simply toss whatever you ordered in a cardboard box and slap on a label. That's IT. No peanuts. No crumpled brown paper. NOTHING. The straw that broke this particular camel's back was a camera and memory combo offer. It arrived, as I said, in a box without any filler at all. Consequently, the memory card, which was originally TAPED onto the camera box in its small plastic holder had come loose and popped open. So the MicroSD memory card was flying around in the cardboard box LOOSE. At first, I didn't even see it, but finally found it under one of the flaps in the bottom of the box. Needless to say, this is inexcusable, careless, and customer-hostile. Writing to them to complain elicited the most preposterous excuse you could imagine, which included the notion that their packaging is "economical" to hold down costs. So okay... You throw a multi-hundred dollar camera and memory loose in a box, which is practically inviting shipping damage and a return, and that's somehow economical? Clearly, the idiots that are in charge of this dismal operation don't get it. Avoid them. Well, at least avoid them for anything breakable. If you're buying bath towels at a good price, they might manage to get that right. But if history is any guide, they'll probably throw them in a Glad garbage bag, tape it up, slap a label on it and send it off. I don't trust them at all. You shouldn't either."

"Stupid customer service at tire center. Either they lie or their system to look up old tire purchase transactions are from ice age. Stay away from purchasing tires from bjs. Their service is pathetic. You need to have original receipt to have tires rotated. Costco is a breeze compared to these idiots."

"BJ's had a price error and refused to honor the price. I'd understand if the price difference was large, say hundreds of dollars on an appliance but in this case it was small, something the company could have easily took a small deduction of their profit on. But that was their choice and its understandable. My main concern though was that on email, they called the error an inventory problem saying it was out of stock. When I called, they admitted it was a price error and said that BJ's does not keep a live inventory meaning that on any product they can oversell by hundreds of units and would have to cancel hundreds of orders. This really swung me to not ever getting a BJ's membership again because a large part of my shopping is done online."

"I bought a brand new Vizio 47" LED TV online from BJ's, when it arrived it wouldn't even turn on, it was defective. I contacted Vizio and their only solution was to have a tech come by and repair it in 5 - 6 business days. I paid for a brand new TV direct from the factory and before I even get to turn it on it already has to be refurbished!! They offered no discount or even expedited service, citing their company policies and telling me they are complying with industry standards. I tried to return it in-store because I had an e-mail from BJ's saying I could, they would not accept it, citing policies that say they can not accept online returns. No one would help me with this product so I was forced to return it online, I am still waiting for a shipping label and I fear it will be weeks before I see my money back. This was the first time I had given a no-name company like Vizio a chance and I could not have been more disssapointed. I will never step foot insode another BJ's or purchase another Vizio product and I suggest you do the same. I have since canceled my membership to BJ's and had been incredibly happy with Costco, where they take business and customer satisfaction seriousely, they also treat their employees a million times better, heh, and their customers."

"This is my first time shopping at BJ’s. I was drawn in because they the Griot’s DA Polisher at one of the best prices compared to anywhere else at the time along with free shipping. I had to order this DA polisher because of out of the choices: Porter, Meguiar’s, and etc, the Griot’s has a great customer support and warranty from what I have read, and a bit more powerful. Even though I didn’t have a membership, the fee for non members isn’t high. I still saved my self $40 from buying at BJ’s.
I received my order directly from Griot’s, a drop ship from the vendor a week later. My experience has been largely positive given the deal since I really had to get this for my new daily. I look forward in future deals from BJ’s.

"Ordered a ASUS tablet late Friday night. My order was put on hold for three days so they Order Processing dept could review it. Seriously! I have an AMEX! Finally after rounds of emails, I got a call. It took another day to approve the order. I received the tablet, but what a hassle!"

modified review This review was modified by dgriessel on June 03 2011 07:11:03 AM

"Ordered a Samsung 32" TV on Black Friday just after midnight. A number of stores were selling a 32" Samsung for $400. The model at BJ's was two models better for the same price. It was worth the $17 shipping cost not to wait on line at the store. Delivery was very prompt. Set works great.

"Ordered a leather recliner online. Was listed as "shipping in 4 to 6 weeks." This, it turns out means it ships from the factory in 4 to 6 weeks to a company who then forwards it to a local delivery company who may take still more time before delivery. (I still have not received this product, although my credit card was charged on April 15. I was sent an email from BJs member-care with a tracking number. Later i was told that this number was only to track the shipment to another warehouse. But in any case, this number according to Sam at customer care on the telephone, was incorrect, but he couldn't sort out the problem. He said he'd call back but didn't. I had similar experiences with other BJ's customer care people subsequently. Finally I was referred to the delivery company who informed me that the chair had been sent by mistake to Montana. They would try to get a new shipment. Why should it be the responsibility of the delivery company? A letter of complaint to the President of the company, Laura Sens, has still received no response some 10 days later. Here are BJs faults as I see them:

"Shipping in 4 to 6 weeks" is deceptive. At the least it should be glossed: "delivery may take four weeks (or whatever) more."

Customer service people should at a minimum make the return calls that they have volunteered to make. Further, they should be be more knowledgeable or have the means, at least, to track purchases.

Credit cards should not be charged until the item is delivered.

Senior management (i.e., the company president) should be responsible to all consumer complaints--not personally, but through it's agency. As of May 28 I do not have the chair I ordered on March 28, and I have no idea when, if ever, I might get it.

modified review This review was modified by dhwsmith on May 31 2009 12:11:31 PM

BJ's Wholesale Club is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

BJ's Wholesale Club is not a merchant member
BJ's Wholesale Club does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!