Product & services pricing Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

"I usually like to order my merchandise from HLJ, but their stock isn't the widest, so I decided to try another shop to get some other things I was interested in. Their prices look reasonable and are on par with many other Japanese anime merch shops.

And like many of those anime merch shops, the search function is atrocious - they don't have a button to filter out out-of-stock items, so you get everything from the beginning of time that matches your keyword. (Though you can do it manually by fiddling with the search parameters in the URL bar). It makes it very difficult to just browse; you would need to know in advance the name of the exact item you're looking for.

Also, they use the same site for their Japanese customers. AmiAmi English version is simply the translated version. Meaning that a lot of the items on the site are only for shipping within Japan (you would need to have a forwarding service to be able to order them). I noticed this was the case for a number of figures.

They don't show the weight of items, so you have no way of guessing how much your package is going to weigh. You are supposed to select your shipping option before you place your order, and they offer about 4 different methods. I wasn't too happy to get billed for a much more expensive shipping option in the email I was sent. Fortunately, when I went to the site to pay, they gave me two shipping options that were basically the same price (about $33) but different speeds. I had heard from other buyers that you can ask them to spilt up orders to make the shipping cheaper, but since they don't tell you the total weight, there's no way to know whether it would fit in 2 separate small packet shipments.

My last complaint is with their "end of the month" ordering system. They say that you can order as much as you like during the month, select that you want the order grouped with other orders later. I took this to mean that I would get a bill during the last week of the month, and so would be free to place several orders. I placed 2 orders in June, asked for the grouping option, but was sent a shipping bill on the 17th. That's more than 10 days before the end of the month.

---

Overall positives: wider selection than some other merch shops

Overall negatives: browsing is clunky, shipping options mysterious, and I wouldn't recommend using them unless you want to get one item that you really need that you can't get anywhere else.

"For me its the best site for buying otaku stuff. Their customer service is phenomenal and their prices are pretty good as well. My only pet peeves are they will only give you the shipping cost after you confirm your pruchase of the item. The problem here is that they dont allow you to cancel items in most cases so just shop carefully. Moving on, their offer combined shipping on monthly orders which is really helpful in my opinion. You can be sure their items are all authentic as well. Buy without fear, amiami is the best in the business!"

modified review This review was modified by GuiltySpark on September 15 2013 05:29:18 PM

AmiAmi is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

AmiAmi is not a merchant member
AmiAmi does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!