"Absolutely rude customer service. I was a customer for years through early 2012, and the company's customer service - their attitude on the phone - is abysmal.

You are just another phone call and order to them. Nothing more.

With so many options out there -- steer clear.

AMS is a subsidiary of Guitar Center.

modified review This review was modified by AMSblows123 on October 16 2014 03:31:41 PM

"i love AMS I have been ordering from them for probably 5 years and never had a problem, the only issue I ever had was last month I orders a thunderbird Bass guitar and dint get the case. (Should have) anyway I went to the site and found a scratch and dent thunderbird case for almost half off so I ordered it. Later that night I found out they were sold out of the case and made a mistake and charged my card, however I talked to a manager and he sent me a brand new one at the scratch and dent price that was already debited from my card, that's great customer service."

modified review This review was modified by Mongo1976 on October 07 2014 10:16:58 AM

"I have ordered twice from AMS and both times it was a joke. The shipping is the worst that I have ever experienced. It was 4 days before my product even left their ware house. Then it took two days longer than it was estimated. Then once the product showed up, it didn't even work. The customer service is terible. They don't answer any of your questions and proceed to patch you through to the credit department every time you talk just so they can ask you the same questions over and over again. I'll never order from AMS again. I have had much better luck with Amazon, zZounds, and Musicians Friend. "

modified review This review was modified by hopeshighmusic on September 27 2014 07:37:54 AM

"I have been purchasing musicians products from AMS for over 20 years and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars with them. Their customer service has gone downhill in 2014. I recently purchased a guitar amplifier. It was not shipped out on time. It was shipped from their MS warehouse rather than the NJ warehouse (I live in MA and get AMS deliveries within 1 to 2 days). I contacted them and told them it wouldn't arrive in time because they shipped it late and from the wrong warehouse...so please contact Fedex and have it returned since I would have to purchase locally for a series of gigs that needed a Vox amplifier. It was returned to them by the carrier. They never refunded my money. I have been on the phone with them almost daily since it was returned on August 22nd. They do not have the means of refunding my money since it has to be processed by the warehouse first to get a refund. The warehouse won't process it for some reason. I NEVER RECEIVED THE AMP!!!!! Customer service will not resolve the issue! The credit department will not resolve the issue. The next step for me is to contact my credit card company have them charge back AMS. Because AMS is so close to me, I have always tried to purchase from them because of their quick delivery. Since this isn't the case and since they have ripped me off. I will do business with Musicians Friend and Sweetwater....whom I have never had an issue with. Please make AMS feel the pain of their poor business practices and do business else where."

modified review This review was modified by RMSFender on September 12 2014 10:18:46 AM

"DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!

That is unless you want to be screwed over, and have to deal with rude customers service "tech"s. I truly wished that I stuck with the other company I was going to order from.

Don't waste your time or money.

modified review This review was modified by mattbronson on August 04 2014 05:21:01 AM

"I live in Canada and found a guitar strap that I really liked.
First off, I found the strap on a Chinese website for around $80 including shipping.
I searched a little more and found it at AMS for about half that.
The catch was, they FedEx everything to Canada.
Basically shipping was as much as the strap.
Why they can't just use good old USPS is beyond me.
So I ordered the strap (that I really really wanted) and a few others, to justify the shipping.
My order comes and 2 of the 3 strap are what I ordered.
The 3rd, unfortunately, was the one I really wanted, that would match my favorite guitar.
And it was NOT what I ordered.
I contacted them and they said they could nothing for me.
Actually they said "we're really sorry about that, but there's nothing we can do".
Nothing you can do?
You can bite the bullet and send me the strap I wanted!
YOU fucked up, not me!
YOU should pay for fucking up!
So I will never order from them again, nor would I recommend them to anyone.
It seems th days of customer service have long since passed.
I will order my straps from A Chinese distributor from ow on.
Fuck you American Music Supply!

"I have bought at least 10 things over the last few years at AMS and financed most of them for a 3 or 8 month plan. I have no trouble at all, and only had one lemon which they gladly sent me a return label and refunded my money. I love this place. Even with less than great credit they still give you a chance to finance. I will use them again soon. DONT use Zzounds. Horrible."

"1st, spent many days reviewing guitars and amps online to decide on what I wanted to buy. I decided on a Modern Player Telecaster Plus and a 40W amp and some accessories too. About $700 total which was a little more than I budgeted for but with payments I could do it. AMS offered 3, 5, 8, 12 month payment plans and 1-day shipping after the order.

I applied for the 8 payment credit and was turned down because this my credit rating wasn't high enough. I was also told that the number of payments allowed was different on every guitar and I had to choose one that fit the exact number I was looking for. So already I'm now being told I need to buy based on their payment numbers even if I've been approved for more credit than the item I want. Also a lot of the guitars that qualify for the payment plans show out of stock and have for over a week.

But I was told I did qualify for the 5 payment credit line for up to $2000 in merchandise. Wow that's still pretty good I thought. So thinking I now understood the rules, I began looking for guitars and amps that were allowed 5 payments! Almost none were allowed 5 payments except those that were over $1000 each. But after searching a long while, I found one $600 guitar I liked that was OK for 5 payments and again called in to order it and an amp. This time I was told I couldn't do it because the 5 payment plan required a minimum order of $1000! (The better 8 payment plan only required $500. The 3-payment plan only $250.)

So fed up I decided just to get a simple guitar and amp on the 3 payment plan as I was just a beginner and would buy a better one some other time. I successfully ordered a guitar and amp package and accessories for about $300. That was Friday. Apparently they don't work on the weekends.

On Monday at the end of the day EST (where they were), they still hadn't confirmed shipping and showed credit verification. I called them and found they were rechecking my credit again. And they specifically say in their ads the 3 payment plans don't require a credit check. I was told it could take two or 3 more days.

Then, I saw the 1st payment amount show up as pending on my card before they finished the credit checking or shipping . This worried me that I was going to get stung. I gave up and called them again and canceled my order. They never even asked why. If you are paying upfront maybe they are OK. But their payment plans are not at all what they claim to be and are at best extremely confusing.

modified review This review was modified by Graystone55 on May 19 2014 02:50:10 PM

"Called and talked to a sales rep prior to purchase, then ordered the FSR Classic Player Jazzmaster. FREE Shipping - Delivered in 2 days via Fedex. The Guitar was unopened, in the original box from Fender with all the case candy, and it was packed in another larger box, yes double boxed. Excellent pristine guitar, and could not be happier with AMS service. Thanks!"

modified review This review was modified by Blues_Guitar on March 29 2014 07:58:06 AM

"Oh my gosh where to begin... I am writing this because of the 1 star review I just read where the guy complains that ams only matches pricing and doesn't beat it. I am sorry but how much more spoiled can people be? How about rating the company on quality of product and service? I mean they will match a lowest price and let you put the item on a payment plan with no interest. Shouldn't they make any money? I mean come on. This is a great place to buy gear. They ship fast and clean and usually have sweet scratch n dent deals where you can't even find a flaw in the item. Jeez people are so spoiled!"

modified review This review was modified by CaliA on January 05 2014 08:50:27 AM

"I was looking for availability and best price for a new Behringer midi controller that was announced over a year ago and Behringer took way too long to release it. American Musical Supply were one of the first retailers to carry it! I found the items and chatted with an online customer service rep named Valerie. She addressed all of my concerns and even gave me a sweet break on the price!

Shipping was ultra quick and the price was considerably less than any advertised price online. I got my order and noticed one item was faulty (not the sellers fault, but the manufacturer's fault). I contacted AMS and they promptly sent me an RMA and return label and shipped out a replacement as soon as they got confirmation that I shipped back the faulty unit. Most retailers make you wait until they receive the faulty item back and then they ship out the new one, but AMS didn't do that so that was a huge plus as well.

I'll be shopping here again for sure!

modified review This review was modified by pream5 on July 16 2013 01:20:02 AM

"AMS does not BEAT competitors price, just matches which is useless. if i see $200 at MF and send price, they think i will spend $200 with them IF THEY Dont go lower?....i dont think so..."

modified review This review was modified by jimsi777 on July 09 2013 10:48:48 AM

"Be very wary of this shady and deceitful company. They advertise that you can participate in a payment plan (8 months, 12 months, whatever), with NO INTEREST, just EASY payments.

Well, what they do is charge you $15 per month (per payment) fee. Which is just another way to gouge you for money, and is worse than an interest rate, normally.

These people are shady and sleazy and deceitful. Yes, everybody should read the small print; yes, nobody does.

modified review This review was modified by doogiebird on June 22 2013 09:49:22 AM

"After having "good rep" with AMS, I ran into some financial difficulty and called AMS ahead of time to let them know I would not be able to make my already scheduled payment. After speaking with a account rep she advised me that AMS would be sending me emails to remind me of my over due payment and to disregard those emails and to pay when I could. Well, that was actually a lie, SHE was calling me 3 times a day and calling my work number 3 times a day and my house number as well. That's a total of 9 calls from her daily plus the emails! All over 60.00 measly dollars. I paid it eventually but I told her they had just lost a valued customer because of their harassment. Her answer was, well it is legal for us to call that many times. Yeas AMS, you all lost a good one....JERKS."

modified review This review was modified by lauralove on June 12 2013 08:18:09 AM

"Their 45 day price guarantee is bogus.
I have no idea why they even advertise it other than to deceive you!

modified review This review was modified by tonykylim on March 28 2013 08:19:44 PM

American Musical Supply is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

American Musical Supply is not a merchant member
American Musical Supply does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!