Product & services pricing Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10

"They freaking shipped my order to an entire different city!!! How?!
--I will never buy anything from AE website ever agian

"Where do I begin?
I wanted to order the boot kick pant and they are only available online U.S. store. They only carry the khaki color in Canada. I had waited a few months before they finally had my size 6 avail online. I went to the store here in Toronto to try them on and make sure they fit.
I checked several times and a sales lady told me to try again before the start of school since they would probably restock the inventory.(this was in March)
Great! I called mid July ordered my pants. Finally! Got them a couple weeks later only to find they were a bit snug. Had to return/exchange them and pay to send them back! That took 4 weeks. I made sure to check what I needed to fill out before I sent them back, ONLY to have them ship the wrong length back when I specifically asked for short!! So when I get in a couple of weeks from now, I will have to exchange them again and wait another 4 weeks before they actually get my order!
When I called to fig out what was going on since i received confusing emails telling me they sent the wrong size and credited me back. Both the woman and I were confused. Apparently I was credited back as a return on my visa yet they shipped the order and will have to charge it again. Fine.
When I called to clarify with the gentleman that I spoke with not only was he rude and interrupted me as I was trying to explain the situation, but extremely..unsympathetic.
I will never order anything from them again!
Not only will I have waited 3 months before I even get what I have ordered!
Worst experience will definitely not recommend ordering from their U.S. online store. Hassel free return policy my ass!!

"used prepaid visa card for purchase; returned items and wanted a refund. They refund prepaid card (which card service people said could not be done!) went to American Eagle (have been there 3 times!) finally got them to find receipts on their computer since I had lost them but then said I had to wait 30 days for a refund! By then I just wanted replacement jeans! 1/19/14 started with them, it's 3/8/14 and still no refund or clothes! Going there again today!"

modified review This review was modified by browniecat09 on April 17 2014 03:29:09 PM

"WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! I will NEVER EVER shop with AE again!!! I did online shopping on December 2, 2013 and it says on their website free return shipping. I got my order together with the "free" labels (one has local address-canada and the other one has US address). I had to return some items because of the size so I called the customer service to confirm which label should I use to ship it back to AE. The agent told me to use the Canada address so I went to the post office to ship the items and the lady who's working there told me that I have to pay. i explained to her that it should be free return shipping but she didn't accept it. I went home and called AE customer service again and told the agent what happened. This time the agent told me to use the US label. I was not satisfied with her answer so after I hang up, I dialled the number again and talked to different agent. She told me the same thing, to use the US label. On December 31, 2013, I went to the post office again (different location), this time using the US label. When the lady saw the address, she asked me to pay for it, I again explained that it should be free shipping. Of course she said NO so I showed her the canada address, she also said NO. She told me to just ship it to canada address coz its cheaper rather than using the US address. I know the lady who's working in the post office and she's been there for ages so she knows what she's doing. She even mentioned that I was not the 1st customer of AE who experienced the same problem. I didn't have a choice but to pay for the shipping. On January 9, 2014, my package reached AE location as per my tracking number. I called customer service again like mid or 3rd week of January to ask for any updates. The agent told me to call after a week coz so far there was no update. On january 31, I received an email saying that the items that I would like to be changed are no longer available so they will refund my money. On that day, I was doing my online banking and saw that AE has charged me for a certain amount. So I called the customer service again and asked what's going on. The agent told me that one of the items is available so they are sending it to me. They first refunded the total amount for all the items and charged me again for the one item which is available. I didn't receive an email or any notification in regards to that so of course I was wondering why they charged me again. I don't mind to be charged but at least give your customer some notifications. We deserve to know what's going on! And all the agent who handled my calls, they all SUCK BIG TIME!!!! Giving you different information and they were talking to you like you were stupid! The reason why you're calling coz you have some questions to be answered! I even wrote an email to the management and till now I haven't received any response. This is gonna be my first and last time shopping with AE!!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!"

modified review This review was modified by kian0831 on February 05 2014 05:00:47 AM

zeta's Avatar
Arizona, US

"I have shopped several times online from American Eagle and the experience seems to be fine so far. First order April 2010, last order so far 12/2013.

I like that is part of the Shoprunner network so my orders get shipped in 2 days with no minimum. Returns shipped are easy as well with the service.

Returns in-store are not bad unless there's a long line. But another caveat is that you MUST bring the credit card that you placed the order with. Otherwise you can get merchandise credit. They are not able to just electronically refund you without the credit card in hand unlike other stores, and they cannot credit it to a different credit card either unlike other stores.

I asked if they were able to pricematch a past purchase to the current price with a coupon code that was available on the site, and their policy regarding to this is:
Discount codes cannot be honored if 24 hours have passed since the time your order was placed.

"MY WORST online shopping experience is with AMERICAN EAGLE, i shopped black friday and they ship it dec. 4 now the package came dec. 9 in my post office facility and was never attempted to ship and returned to their warehouse . NOW DEC. 17 they want to charge again my card for them to re-ship and will only do 2 DAY SHIPPING, this is supposed to be a Christmas gift for my husband, thinking it will come on time . CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ITS WORST!!!!!! "

modified review This review was modified by mariebart on December 17 2013 11:28:10 AM

"I had never shopped at an American Eagle Outfitters store or online before but I went to the site looking for something and found that the carry the Medium Tall size. I found some shirts I liked ordered them and they were shipped quickly and arrived quickly. I ended up returning one of them with no problems whatsoever. Not sure why everyone else has had so many problems."

modified review This review was modified by PhilV2013 on November 13 2013 05:02:33 PM

"I just want to write a quick review about my online shopping experience at AE Outfitters because it wasn't as bad as everyone else's. Although I did not receive my package, I do not blame AE, I blame the post office.

I ordered two pairs of jeans from AE on Sept 16th, they were shipped for free because I spent over $50. Shipped the following day via UPS and transferred to USPS on the 20th. According to the UPS tracking, post office attempted to deliver my package and left a delivery notice. I DID NOT RECEIVE A NOTICE, which didn't even matter because by the time I called the post office my package was lost, they didn't even care to help me.

Thankfully, when I called AE their first reaction was to refund me my money, which I thought wasn't going to happen because of the reviews i read on here. So even though I didn't receive my pants (which I'm pretty bummed out about)I'm satisfied with the customer service. Next time, I'll surely pay for shipping to avoid having my package transferred to the damn, good for nothing post office.

modified review This review was modified by Nessamarie on October 04 2013 11:05:49 AM

"Do not use Paypal unless you want to waste your time. Took 4 days to tell me that my Paypal payment could not be authorized, now I am sure the refund will take up to 10 days to receive. I do not want to verify my Paypal address because Paypal is know to sock it to customers. AE should not be trying to force peoples hand by verifying address, any one who knows there is so much you have to do to verify and I am not giving anyone my SSN or Bank details. Guess I will take my business else where online and in person. I was an AE customer for a long time but due to this I will shop a different brand."

modified review This review was modified by JonathanNagel on August 12 2013 07:37:04 AM

"I ordered two items during a 40% off sale plus free shipping, with the total coming to about $26. Today, I happened to check the order receipt and for some reason I was charged $45, full price for the items. Obviously I was buying the items for the sale so I was extremely upset, I would otherwise have not bought the clothes if they were not on sale. I emailed the company, not really expecting the money to be credited back to me but I gave it a shot anyway. They emailed back within an hour and refunded me the difference! I normally do not like big corporations like this and only really buy anything when it's on sale but I am really pleased and satisfied with the outcome!"

modified review This review was modified by koryna23 on May 28 2013 03:39:03 PM

"Horrible customer service! I ordered one pair of jeans during a 20% off sale and the order didn't go through so the next day I tried to redo the transaction and of course the sale was no longer going on and I was a little irritated I had to pay $15 more for same item whatever I bought it using my Paypal then I check my Paypal and they charged me twice for the higher amount!!! I've been calling ae.com along with PayPal and originally I was told I would be refunded in 24 hours then I called back and they said 48 hours still no $ I called back today and now I'm being told I have to wait 10 business days to be refunded neither company really cared or even apologized for the inconvienence so I have paid $100 for 1 pair of jeggings that should have originally cost $35 this is my first time buying at ae.com and surely will be my last!! B"

"I purchased 3 items at ae, a mint colored tank top, a red and orange striped sweater and a muave colored sweater with a chiffon back. i ordered all items in medium. the tank and pink sweater fit, the mauve one didnt. so rather than paying for shipping to return i decided to go to the store and return and maybe see if i can find a smaller size. i get to the store and i'm waiting in line for 5 minutes (which is fine) the customer next to me is returning 3 items, no tags, no receipt etc so the associate is attempting to look her items up on her ae cc or rewards card for a correct refund price. another associate comes up an offers to help me, i explain it doesnt fit and she states she "doesnt think they have it anymore but will double check after processing my return" so she is looking at the sweater, flipping it around and finally asks "where are the tags?" so i tell her that it didnt have tags and that it came in a clear plastic bag but the upc code was on the plastic bag....so she replies "im not trying to give you a hard time i'm just trying to figure out where the tags are so i can return the correct item" so now im upset, i have my receipt, i have the blue bag it shipped in and i have the clear plastic bag with the upc code on it so whats the problem?!?! so the associate preceeds to flip the shirt inside and out turning it and turning it and again asks "where are the tags" i finally say AGAIN it did not come with tags it came in a plastic bag with the upc code on the bag. she then says very loudly look, the tags are cut out, she shows me and says see this, they have been cut so where are the tags? i am now upset and embarassed as there is a line now (the customer next to me is still waiting for her return items to be looked up)i finally said-i ordered 3 items, one of which i am wearing (the pink sweater) the other item is a mint green lace back tank top so obviously the only other item on my receipt is the mauve colored chiffon back v neck sweater! (which was also the exact description on the receipt) i then said you recognized the item as an ae sweater because when i came in you stated you didnt think there were any left and you would help me look for one. I have the shipping bag which shows i received it yesterday, you have my receipt, you have the clear plastic bag it came in so what exactly is the problem?? without saying another word to me the whole visit, she returned my sweater threw my card on the counter for me to pick up and with out helping me look for another sweater or asking me to wait while she gets the line down she yelled "next" to help the next customer in line. to make matters worse i called their customer service to report it, she seemed annoyed i called and uninterested. i then asked to speak to the district manager and was told-they travel a lot i cant guarantee they can call you! so done with ae!! "

"Horrible. Ruined my Christmas. Ordered about $400 worth of products on December 18 and paid for two-day shipping. Apparently my order was pulled for what they call "manual verification." Turns out my phone number was not the same on my online AE profile as the number I provided when I filled out the credit app for the AE card--years ago. They'd sent an email on the 19th--along with a slew of other unsolicited emails indicating there was a problem but with all the many. Once I received the "your order has been received and is being processed email" I didn't have reason to sift through the standard daily barrage of advertisements they and 50 others send daily. Besides. I'd ordered from AE online many times over the years without any problem. Always went off without a hitch. But when my order didn't come as expected, I went back and looked through the emails looking for tracking information. That's when I found an email that indicated a problem with my account. No phone call. Just an email. So I call on the 20th to rectify. I offer to pay for overnight shipping. They tell me it's not necessary because the two-day shipping will get it there by Christmas. I talked to three or four different representatives over the course of the next two days each of which indicated I would have the packages by Christmas. Not the case. This order was a big part of my son's Christmas presents that won't be there on Christmas day. I sent an email communicating my distress. They tried to tell me that two-day shipping didn't include the "shipping date." What a bunch of garbage. They need to look at UPS's site. It most certainly does include the shipping date. As compensation they agreed to refund my two-day shipping--and only when I pressed for additional compensation, did they offer 20% off my NEXT order, which is insulting. American Eagle must be doing very well that it can afford to remove itself from the customer's perspective and treat crisis of this nature with such indifference. I don't have a significant portion of my son's Christmas gifts. It's tremendously stressful and upsetting. 20% off my next order doesn't begin to lift the burden I feel today. There won't be a "next order" from me and I'll what I can to spread the word. I gave American Eagle my good faith business. They ruined Christmas in return. "

"HORRIBLE customer service! They made an error on the shipping label making package undeliverable and they asked me, the customer that paid for shipping, call the post office to clear it up or run over and pick up the package from the post office. Nice service AE.com! You guys will never get another order from me again."

"An absolutely horrible company!! Somehow the system was populated with an address that we lived at previously, even though we have made several orders from our new address, and we accidentally confirmed the order before we caught the mistake. We immediately called customer service and informed them of the mistake and they said that the order is already in process and they cannot change the address, change the order, or cancel. That apparently is a company policy. They gave me the following options:

1. Go to the address and pick up the package from the residence, which I could be construed as trespassing.

2. Hope the owner returns to sender.

3. If the owner doesn't return it, I can contest the order as not received and then they will create a case for their research group and they will call me in 24-48 hours with what they might be able to do.

Seriously those are my options!!! I have never shopped with an online company that didn't have a way to change or cancel an order. That is so shady!! I will never shop at American Eagle ever again!!!

American Eagle Outfitters is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

American Eagle Outfitters is not a merchant member
American Eagle Outfitters does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!