• American Eagle

Product & services pricing Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10

"I do a ridiculous amount of shopping online from AE, about 2 times a week spending 60 to 120 dollars each order. I've had a couple of problems in the past but nothing that I would consider never shopping there again until now. I placed an order for 12 separate items and I get an email 5 days after I order that they had cancelled 10 of the 12 items because the sizes were now out of stock. Now a majority of the items cancelled were gifts for my sister's birthday but luckily I had placed the order a few weeks before her birthday so even tho I was mildly annoyed I still had time to place another order. So I buy 8 separate things using an AE gift card to pay. 3 days later I receive an email stating 7 of my 8 items were now out of stock.SERIOUSLY?!?! I do a huge amount of online shopping at numerous retailers and I have never ever had more than an item maybe once every 6 months at the most cancelled. Even before this I have had AE cancel at least an item or 2 every few orders but never on this scale of only receiving one or 2 items out of 8 or 12. Oh but it gets so much worse. So AE has this ridiculous thing that I have never in my life heard of any other company doing where if u buy something with their gift card and then they cancel items they do not put it back on the gift card. Yes you heard that right. See you have to call customer service and talk to them for a half hr so that some other department can open an "investigation" and then they will supposedly contact you within 24 to 48 hrs to talk to you about it some more but the 8 to 10 times that has happened to me they have never once actually called. Then they wait a few weeks, yes weeks, and mail you, not email because that would be to easy, a gift card. And about half of the times this happened to me they have been 3 to 6 dollars short on the amount they actually owed me. So I called to get that started and told the lady nicely how missed off I was about all of this and she said I'm sorry to hear that, nothing else. So I get off the phone and the more I think about all of it the more mad I get and I send an email to them and they sent me the same freaking email back that you all got. Sorry but have a nice day. Nope I will never ever buy from them again. I'm not a complainer, in fact only one other time ever did I call to complain or write an email and that company gave me a 50 dollar gift card on the house for there screwup and it was nowhere near AEs screw up. Never again"

This review was modified by melrel05 on February 26 2015 12:44:48 AM

"Reasonable delivery time. TERRIBLE product. The pants fall apart when you put them in the dryer (on delicate setting), and the size is different every time I order them. Instead of paying to ship them back, I brought them to the store. The clerk was nice and seemed to know what he was doing, but the whole process took way too long. I decided to just take the money and run, since the pants I bought a couple months ago just completely fell apart."

"this is the worst customer service I have had in a while. I cannot believe that this shirt was canceled and I haven't even got my money back. the kicker is you all didn't even tell me anything until i had to come to you about it. are you all planning on robbing me of $6 ? that is sure what it seems. I do not like people playing with my money, I work very hard for that money and to have a company try and rob me of $6 is pathetic. I just want to know why was I not informed of this right away? and when am I going to get my money? "

This review was modified by Linds321 on October 23 2014 01:29:12 PM

"Warning: shopping @ American Eagle Outfitters

HORRRRRRIBLE EXPERIENCE! If you are reading this, please beware, do not purchase anything from this company online. If it must be returned, be prepared to go through hell!

Not only that, they will debit, credit, debit...your acct. for the purchase until your head is spinning!

Must also mention: 1) wrong shipping address, 2) saying they had to call my bank to verify the card I had used and 3) too many questions (interrogation!)

This review was modified by dolfngrl7 on September 27 2014 04:22:08 PM

"They freaking shipped my order to an entire different city!!! How?!
--I will never buy anything from AE website ever agian

"Where do I begin?
I wanted to order the boot kick pant and they are only available online U.S. store. They only carry the khaki color in Canada. I had waited a few months before they finally had my size 6 avail online. I went to the store here in Toronto to try them on and make sure they fit.
I checked several times and a sales lady told me to try again before the start of school since they would probably restock the inventory.(this was in March)
Great! I called mid July ordered my pants. Finally! Got them a couple weeks later only to find they were a bit snug. Had to return/exchange them and pay to send them back! That took 4 weeks. I made sure to check what I needed to fill out before I sent them back, ONLY to have them ship the wrong length back when I specifically asked for short!! So when I get in a couple of weeks from now, I will have to exchange them again and wait another 4 weeks before they actually get my order!
When I called to fig out what was going on since i received confusing emails telling me they sent the wrong size and credited me back. Both the woman and I were confused. Apparently I was credited back as a return on my visa yet they shipped the order and will have to charge it again. Fine.
When I called to clarify with the gentleman that I spoke with not only was he rude and interrupted me as I was trying to explain the situation, but extremely..unsympathetic.
I will never order anything from them again!
Not only will I have waited 3 months before I even get what I have ordered!
Worst experience will definitely not recommend ordering from their U.S. online store. Hassel free return policy my ass!!

"used prepaid visa card for purchase; returned items and wanted a refund. They refund prepaid card (which card service people said could not be done!) went to American Eagle (have been there 3 times!) finally got them to find receipts on their computer since I had lost them but then said I had to wait 30 days for a refund! By then I just wanted replacement jeans! 1/19/14 started with them, it's 3/8/14 and still no refund or clothes! Going there again today!"

This review was modified by browniecat09 on April 17 2014 03:29:09 PM

"WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! I will NEVER EVER shop with AE again!!! I did online shopping on December 2, 2013 and it says on their website free return shipping. I got my order together with the "free" labels (one has local address-canada and the other one has US address). I had to return some items because of the size so I called the customer service to confirm which label should I use to ship it back to AE. The agent told me to use the Canada address so I went to the post office to ship the items and the lady who's working there told me that I have to pay. i explained to her that it should be free return shipping but she didn't accept it. I went home and called AE customer service again and told the agent what happened. This time the agent told me to use the US label. I was not satisfied with her answer so after I hang up, I dialled the number again and talked to different agent. She told me the same thing, to use the US label. On December 31, 2013, I went to the post office again (different location), this time using the US label. When the lady saw the address, she asked me to pay for it, I again explained that it should be free shipping. Of course she said NO so I showed her the canada address, she also said NO. She told me to just ship it to canada address coz its cheaper rather than using the US address. I know the lady who's working in the post office and she's been there for ages so she knows what she's doing. She even mentioned that I was not the 1st customer of AE who experienced the same problem. I didn't have a choice but to pay for the shipping. On January 9, 2014, my package reached AE location as per my tracking number. I called customer service again like mid or 3rd week of January to ask for any updates. The agent told me to call after a week coz so far there was no update. On january 31, I received an email saying that the items that I would like to be changed are no longer available so they will refund my money. On that day, I was doing my online banking and saw that AE has charged me for a certain amount. So I called the customer service again and asked what's going on. The agent told me that one of the items is available so they are sending it to me. They first refunded the total amount for all the items and charged me again for the one item which is available. I didn't receive an email or any notification in regards to that so of course I was wondering why they charged me again. I don't mind to be charged but at least give your customer some notifications. We deserve to know what's going on! And all the agent who handled my calls, they all SUCK BIG TIME!!!! Giving you different information and they were talking to you like you were stupid! The reason why you're calling coz you have some questions to be answered! I even wrote an email to the management and till now I haven't received any response. This is gonna be my first and last time shopping with AE!!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!"

This review was modified by kian0831 on February 05 2014 05:00:47 AM

zeta's Avatar

Arizona, US

"I have shopped several times online from American Eagle and the experience seems to be fine so far. First order April 2010, last order so far 12/2013.

I like that is part of the Shoprunner network so my orders get shipped in 2 days with no minimum. Returns shipped are easy as well with the service.

Returns in-store are not bad unless there's a long line. But another caveat is that you MUST bring the credit card that you placed the order with. Otherwise you can get merchandise credit. They are not able to just electronically refund you without the credit card in hand unlike other stores, and they cannot credit it to a different credit card either unlike other stores.

I asked if they were able to pricematch a past purchase to the current price with a coupon code that was available on the site, and their policy regarding to this is:
Discount codes cannot be honored if 24 hours have passed since the time your order was placed.

"MY WORST online shopping experience is with AMERICAN EAGLE, i shopped black friday and they ship it dec. 4 now the package came dec. 9 in my post office facility and was never attempted to ship and returned to their warehouse . NOW DEC. 17 they want to charge again my card for them to re-ship and will only do 2 DAY SHIPPING, this is supposed to be a Christmas gift for my husband, thinking it will come on time . CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ITS WORST!!!!!! "

This review was modified by mariebart on December 17 2013 11:28:10 AM

"I had never shopped at an American Eagle Outfitters store or online before but I went to the site looking for something and found that the carry the Medium Tall size. I found some shirts I liked ordered them and they were shipped quickly and arrived quickly. I ended up returning one of them with no problems whatsoever. Not sure why everyone else has had so many problems."

This review was modified by PhilV2013 on November 13 2013 05:02:33 PM

"I just want to write a quick review about my online shopping experience at AE Outfitters because it wasn't as bad as everyone else's. Although I did not receive my package, I do not blame AE, I blame the post office.

I ordered two pairs of jeans from AE on Sept 16th, they were shipped for free because I spent over $50. Shipped the following day via UPS and transferred to USPS on the 20th. According to the UPS tracking, post office attempted to deliver my package and left a delivery notice. I DID NOT RECEIVE A NOTICE, which didn't even matter because by the time I called the post office my package was lost, they didn't even care to help me.

Thankfully, when I called AE their first reaction was to refund me my money, which I thought wasn't going to happen because of the reviews i read on here. So even though I didn't receive my pants (which I'm pretty bummed out about)I'm satisfied with the customer service. Next time, I'll surely pay for shipping to avoid having my package transferred to the damn, good for nothing post office.

This review was modified by Nessamarie on October 04 2013 11:05:49 AM

"Do not use Paypal unless you want to waste your time. Took 4 days to tell me that my Paypal payment could not be authorized, now I am sure the refund will take up to 10 days to receive. I do not want to verify my Paypal address because Paypal is know to sock it to customers. AE should not be trying to force peoples hand by verifying address, any one who knows there is so much you have to do to verify and I am not giving anyone my SSN or Bank details. Guess I will take my business else where online and in person. I was an AE customer for a long time but due to this I will shop a different brand."

This review was modified by JonathanNagel on August 12 2013 07:37:04 AM

"I ordered two items during a 40% off sale plus free shipping, with the total coming to about $26. Today, I happened to check the order receipt and for some reason I was charged $45, full price for the items. Obviously I was buying the items for the sale so I was extremely upset, I would otherwise have not bought the clothes if they were not on sale. I emailed the company, not really expecting the money to be credited back to me but I gave it a shot anyway. They emailed back within an hour and refunded me the difference! I normally do not like big corporations like this and only really buy anything when it's on sale but I am really pleased and satisfied with the outcome!"

This review was modified by koryna23 on May 28 2013 03:39:03 PM

"Horrible customer service! I ordered one pair of jeans during a 20% off sale and the order didn't go through so the next day I tried to redo the transaction and of course the sale was no longer going on and I was a little irritated I had to pay $15 more for same item whatever I bought it using my Paypal then I check my Paypal and they charged me twice for the higher amount!!! I've been calling ae.com along with PayPal and originally I was told I would be refunded in 24 hours then I called back and they said 48 hours still no $ I called back today and now I'm being told I have to wait 10 business days to be refunded neither company really cared or even apologized for the inconvienence so I have paid $100 for 1 pair of jeggings that should have originally cost $35 this is my first time buying at ae.com and surely will be my last!! B"

Share American Eagle Outfitters's store rating

American Eagle Outfitters is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

American Eagle Outfitters is not a merchant member
American Eagle Outfitters does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!