Stores > Ambient Weather

• Ambient Weather

Product & services pricing Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

2016-11-04

Item is OK, Customer Service Isn't

"I ordered a weather monitor with three included sensors, and a fourth one to monitor my pool temperature. When it arrived (quickly, I might add) everything worked well except I couldn't get the pool sensor to report to the indoor display console.

I tired to find trouble shooting information on their website and discovered that although the website says the console operates on 433MHz, it doesn't actually. It operates on 915MHz, so the pool sensor isn't compatible.

Thinking that this website error is misleading, but admitting that I didn't go far enough to confirm compatibility thoroughly, I called the company intending to purchase an indoor display console that pairs with the pool sensor, and a few extra sensors to work with the console I already had installed. When I talked to customer service and explained that due to the misleading info on the site that they might see their way to offering me free shipping on the extra parts I would need to make it work, the rep was dismissive and condescending, and suggested that I could return the stuff I had purchased if I didn't like it.

When I explained that I had already spent $110 and was calling to spend another $60, and to help them correct an error on their site, and that $6 in shipping wasn't a lot to ask, the rep, after supposedly consulting with a supervisor, said that they would not give me free shipping. She denied my request to talk to the supervisor. When I asked if it made sense to suggest returning the items so no one makes any money rather than accepting an additional order that makes money and satisfies the customer for a tiny shipping charge, she basically said "Do what you want" and hung up on me, when I suggested that I would write up my experience on my blog.

So, needless to say, my experience echoes that of many of the other reviewers; bad customer service, unreasonable policies, and a company that doesn't seem to care whether you deal with them or not. I will avoid them in the future and suggest that others should too.

This review was modified by TWS1 on November 04 2016 09:09:43 AM

2014-08-24

"Purchased the WR-111B last summer for my daughter to take on her Anthropology field work and as a weather radio and emergency back up for power outages. Worked fine at first, but after being shelved for a period, I attempted to recharge the battery before the fall stormy season, but it would not hold a charge. I purchased another battery but realized the radio was no longer charging the battery. The hand crank or solar options did not charge either battery. I contacted the company who suggested that my warranty was just over one year and no longer covered. They suggested I look into buying their new model 112 with "improved circuitry." Apparently, the problem I had was no surprise to them and I am now stuck with a $50 piece of junk. Ambient Weather - NEVER AGAIN !"

This review was modified by BiffGarnet on August 24 2014 01:25:44 PM

2012-03-16

"I tried to order a rifle scope which Amazon listed as "over 10 available" with this company. The next day I got an email saying my transaction was cancelled because they were out of stock. Now the item is relisted by Ambient Weather with "over 20 available" but at a higher price. Seems this company raises prices when orders start coming in, and cancels the others. I would stay away. "

2011-08-25

"7 days ago I ordered an item from Ambient Weather and my credit card was billed the same day. The next day I received an e-mail from the company stating the item was not available. I still have not received credit on my CC. I think it was either irresponsible or fraudulent that I was billed for an item that was not even in stock. I will not purchase anything from this company again."

2011-05-19

"Ambient Weather has been my preferred provider of weather related equipment as they have the best prices and a comprohensive selection of equipment including accessories. "

2011-05-14

"I BOUGHT A #6251 VANTAGE VUE WIRELESS WEATHER STATION WITH A DAVIS INSTRUMENTS #6312 VANTAGEPro2 CONSOLE.
I HAD A LOW BATTERY PROBLEM AND REPLACED IT AND IF HAPPENS AGAIN
DAVIS INST. WILL FIX FOR FREE.
MY REVIEW IS EXCELLENT FOR AMBIENT WEATHER

This review was modified by CKOHOUT on May 14 2011 06:14:05 AM

2011-03-30

"well just got screwed hard by Ambient weather .com they won't send a shipping label for a bad unit. Scumbags want me to pay ! I did not send out a unit that was misrepresented the second unit is bad says N A all the time and bad rain bucket don't work yet they want me to pay for shipping what a crappy company ! Other companies at least offer free shipping. Oregon sientific is not very accurate on their models capabilities and measurements"

2011-02-01

"I ordered a weather station and mounting hardware from Ambient Weather and was extremely satisfied. Their prices were great, shipping was fast, and everything was just as expected. Would definitely shop there again!"

2010-11-29

"If you live in Canada, DO NOT ORDER FROM AMBIENT WEATHER.

I ordered a $54.00 radio from them and paid $25.00 in shipping to UPS, which I assumed covered duty. 5 Months later I got an additional bill for 20.00 from Fed Ex, for the taxes/duty. When I contacted ambient weather they basically could not explain the charges, they claimed they didn't use Fed Ex and that it must have shipped with a 3rd party.

The bottom line, I paid $45.00 in shipping/duty for a $54.00 radio to be shipped from North Carolina to Nova Scotia. It was a complete rip-off.

2010-11-01

"They don't stand behind the products they sell. I bought a temp probe and it was broke out of the box. They said 2-6 weeks to RMA it. What a joke. Buy somthing and then wait another 2 to 6 weeks to use it. Find another seller.

Nov 3, 2010. After filing this complaint here I recieved an email from Ambient and he did everything required to change my mind about thier customer service. I have never seen follow-up like this from any company. Being an I.T. manager I deal almost exclusivly with online products and when an item was less than satisfying I have rearely found it a good experience. I rate Ambient's customer service exceeding any other I have delt with. I will order from them in the future. A complete 180.

This review was modified by skippypb on November 03 2010 05:44:12 PM

2010-08-07

"I spent quite a bit of time over several weeks evaluating Personal Weather Stations. The information at ambientweather.com comparing stations on features and price is superb. Once I settled on a Davis station, the prices at Ambient for the things I wanted were the lowest I could find. My order was shipped promptly and arrived in perfect condition."

2010-08-01

"Excellent products, excellent service. Have bought from Ambient Weathermany times in the past, and have always been satisfied."

2010-07-01

"I placed an order on their web-site for a wireless refrigerator thermometer on 6/25. I received both a confirmation e-mail and tracking number from UPS the same day. The order was shipped UPS ground and arrived today, 7/1, as expected in perfect factory fresh condition. Very smooth order; no complaints."

2010-05-31

"Bought an outdoor thermometer with hygrometer. Good price. Great packaging. Fast shipping. Took a bit of time to calibrate, but works great now. Thanks!"

2010-05-26

"Great prices, great selection, quick ship, no surprises. I have already ordered a second display console from them!"

Share Ambient Weather's store rating

Ambient Weather is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Ambient Weather is not a merchant member
Ambient Weather does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!