• Address: 2101 E St. Elmo #360 Austin, Tx
    • Fax: 512-450-0263

Product & services pricing Rating 7.50/10 7.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10

Academic Superstore User

"This is a subsidiary of journey ed. They resold a ptc licensed student version of cre elements. The problem was they sold it to Hutchinson High School. The software would not install. I had to threaten them to get a refund. Mostly I dealt with Alicia and she was no help and put me out to dry. I contacted PTC and they were clueless. Half the people at PTC never heard of journey ed or academic superstore. Be carefull...this company does nothing to help or provide technical support.
Zero stars

"Be careful, this company is completely devoid of ethical business practices.

Ordered a copy of Avid Media Composer for my K-12 student. Provided verification of eligibility docs as requested. Eligibility was accepted and confirmed.

A week later I get a notice from Avid that K-12 students are not eligible (they used to be). I requested refund from Academic as product was never received.

Alicia from "customer service" responded that they do not offer refunds for electronic purchases and that I should have know K-12 was ineligible.

Have filed dispute through credit card company.

Although I had purchased from them in the past, I will NEVER use Academic Superstore again. I would give them zero stars if I could.

modified review This review was modified by Amphicar770 on July 29 2014 08:27:17 AM

"I made an order over 400 dollars on Saturday, later I made a call on Monday and modified my order. At the end of the call, I asked if there was anything else I need to do before hanging up. The representative told me there was not, and I can just sit and wait for the items.
2 days past, nobody called me from this company. And my order was not shipped either.
I called them to ask what happened, they told me that they could not capture enough money from my Pay-pal.
I chose 2-day shipping and would like to pay for 20 dollars simply because I need my items in urgent. They kept the fact as a secret for two days, without even trying to sent me a email, without replying my email I sent the second day.
I canceled my order immediately and ordered the same item on Amazon. Guess what? I get a cheaper price with overnight shipping.
As a TX local company, they taxed me in MI for online shopping. They charged me for 20.5 dollars for 2-day shipping for a over 400 dollar order.
What I can say. They are simply terrible.

"Possibly the worst super store i have ever done business with. I ordered supplies for my classroom from that store almost 11 months ago and have just not received them, do not make the same mistake i did, do the smart thing and go to Wal-Mart."

"I really wish I would have visited this site prior to placing my order for MS Access 2010. I paid for two day shipping since I needed it for a class. 7 days later after not recieving anything, I called to inquire and they said that it comes from a third party shipper and they would let me know by Monday when it would ship since today is a Friday. Since the class is on Monday, I asked to cancel and they said that they cannot cancel because it might have shipped. So what is it? Did it ship or not?

This company has no idea what is going on with their merchandise. They will gladly take your order and then tell you that it is a third party deal and they hope to respond to you within 72 hours. They are lucky the prices are low as that has to be the only way they can bring in new customers.

If you are up against a deadline, avoid this company. If you have a month or two to wait then give them a try. You really can't argue with their pricing but you are taking a chance.

modified review This review was modified by slackdaddymoney on September 07 2012 03:11:45 PM

"I ordered Mirosoft Office 2010 a week ago yesterday ( Aug 29 ). I haven,t received the software as of today ( Sept 26 ) so I called the "crappy store" to find out that the order was just shipped today.Since I needed the software for a class that I am taking, I had to get the software by another more expensive method. They told me that since the software was shipped out today, I could not cancel and i should just refuse hte order. I see a problem arising with this situation. People, dont use this company!"

modified review This review was modified by J.Carter on September 06 2012 12:36:49 PM

"Something seems to have happened to this vendor at the end of 2008. Prior to that, the reviews are mostly 5 star. Beginning in 2009, the ratings are nearly all 1 star and judging from the comments would be no star if that were possible.

Before my last purchase, I had bought from Academic Superstore with no problems and the prices were unbeatable. On June 14th, 2012, I ordered the new WordPerfect Office X6 which I received late on Friday the 22nd. When I put the disk in to install the program, it came up in French. I could not find an English installation. There was nothing on the box or on the disk to indicate that it was a French program.

In response to my email about the problem, Academic Superstore replied that they could not deal with technical problems with the software. They referred me to Corel, where a very decent support person went through the installation process with me and was as puzzled as I was. He finally concluded that there was no technical problem with the software, that it was just the wrong software. This was on Monday the 25th. I emailed Academic Superstore to tell them there was no technical problem, that they had sent the wrong software.

The next day, Academic Superstore asked for information necessary to have UPS pick up the software from me. I responded immediately. Two days later another email arrived saying that 'We apologize for the issue that you encountered. Your information has been forwarded to our Escalation Department. You will be notified via email as to how we may proceed with your issue.' Huh? How to proceed with my 'issue' is obviously to take back the software and send me the correct package.

Two days later, on the 28th, an email arrived from UPS with a mailing label. Okay, so I have to take it to an UPS store, which I did the next day. An annoyance but not a back breaker. Then silence until July 4th, when Academic Superstore wants me to rate my experience with them. I ignored the survey because the matter was very much still in progress.

The silence continued. On July 13th, I wrote to Academic Superstore pointing out that I had sent back the software as they directed, and that the tracking showed that they had signed for it on July 5th. They responded to say 'We understand your concern. We are still processing a replacement and will have it shipped to you as soon as possible.'

And still I waited. On July 30th, I wrote 'It is now two weeks since you last contacted me and said you were processing a replacement for the software you sent me and which was the wrong software. It is now six weeks since you received my order and charged me for the software. I can't imagine any valid excuse for this delay, and there is even less excuse for your keeping me in the dark, just repeating again and again "We understand your concern." Understanding my concern doesn't help. Why have I not received the copy of WordPerfect X6 I paid for? What is the specific reason for this unconscionable delay? It didn't take you long to send me the wrong software. Why is it taking so long to send me what I ordered?'

There was an immediate reply to say 'We show that the replacement for your item is already available, and it will be ship [sic] soon. You will receive a separate shipping notification email when your order ships.'

And then, later on that same day, the 30th, I received an email announcing 'We have good news from Academic Superstore about order 7639xyz! We are happy to inform you that the following items shipped:' And it was so. Finally, on August 1st, a package arrived that turns out to have both the English and the French editions of X6. Whaaaa? No matter, I at last, after six weeks, have the software I need.

Still, after all, I got the software at a very low price. Was it worth the discount in price? The discount was about $160. I spent altogether at least a full day fussing with emails and with tech support at Corel and driving to the UPS store. I divide the $160 by 8 hours and come up with an implied wage (did I tell you I'm an economist?) of $20 an hour. I don't work that cheaply. I haven't worked that cheaply for at least 30 years.

No, the discount was not worth the heartache, annoyance, time, and trouble it cost me. Goodbye, Academic Superstore.

modified review This review was modified by professorG on August 02 2012 03:03:36 PM

"I bought the student-version Adobe photoshop for $200, but did not open it until about a month later. The email they sent me indicated it would not need verification. But when I tried to install it, I had to verify student status via Adobe. Problem was...the verification has to be done within 30 days of purchase. AND...Academic Superstore will not refund my money after 30 days. So, I've just lost $200 for absolutely nothing! I will never buy from them again. "

"Deplorable customer service. My order was put on hold to verify my academic eligibility. I had to fax the information in, because I needed the software I was ordering to restore e-mail capability to my computer. No one could verify for me whether or not the fax had been successfully received. Finally on the fourth day after my order they told me they could not locate the eligibility information. I had to cancel the order and buy the software somewhere else, because my need was urgent."

"My experience with the Education documentation review has been fine, I uploaded my Son's Report Card and it was approved within 24 hours. But they sent me a link that does not work. I was told that it will work in 30min. It has not worked so fat after 4-5 hours of my trying and after two days of placing the order. I'm holding their 1-800 line for almost an hour now to seek an order cancellation and refund of my money !!"

"Oh how I wish I had read the reviews...
THEY ARE DEAD ON!
Just went through the EXACT SAME THING...
placed order, provided eligibility proof once, twice, three, four, now five times, to no avail.
a phone call was pointless as the rep only repeated the same refrain about sending proof...
this is seeming more and more like a huge sham.

"I placed an order and submitted eligibility letter on 2/10/2012. on 2/14/2012 I received and email "reminding" me that I needed to submit eligibility--I resubmitted the letter on 2/14/2012 to be safe. On 2/16/2012 I contacted customer service via email stating it had been a week and wondering how long it normally took to receive verification of eligibility. I received an email back the same day stating that unfortunately they had no record of the eligibility documentation. I replied attaching the document AGAIN, as well as copying and pasting into my email the page on their website showing 2 submissions on the 10 and the 14. I also included my order#. Now today on 2/18/2012 I get an email stating that I have to have placed an order before they look at eligibility.
I again copy and pasted from their website this time the page with my order. I then went into my account and deleted my payment method as I could not see anywhere to delete the order itself. I informed them that since they couldn't find my order anyway it shouldn't be a problem, however if they do happen to find a way to come across it that they should CANCEL the order as I am no longer interested in purchasing from them. This much confusion equals disaster waiting to happen. Frustrated beyond belief I Googled reviews (which I should have done in the first place instead of just taking one word of mouth) only to find that this seems to be the norm of the company. I only wonder if the owners aren't purposely trying to run it into the ground. It is the only explanation I can come up with.

"DO NOT buy from this site! It was a nightmare dealing with them and my order didn't come on time, which made my grade suffer in a class. There were too many hoops to jump through to get the student discount anyway, not worth it!!"

"I won't buy from this retailer again. I purchased Adobe Creative Suite as a download. I never received an email with a download link. When I called about this, they took my info (as if for the first time) and sent me a download link, etc. The customer service rep who took my info didn't verify the spelling of my email, etc. She was very brusque and kept cutting me off, so I didn't push it with her either. In the end, the download code didn't work. I called repeatedly to customer service over the next 3 days. Each time I had to give my full information, as if they had no record of me. Each time I had a highly confused, and RUDE customer service rep who would either resend the original email with the (incorrect) download info, or who forwarded me to Adobe Product support (I had yet to receive the PRODUCT!). Each time they would end the call with, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" I had to laugh - "YES! You can help me with the problem I am calling about." FINALLY on Day 4 (my 6th attempt) I connected with a customer service representative who was able to understand the simple fact that the download key they provided wasn't working. She informed me that she would have to 'make a report for the resolution team', and it would be up to 72 hours before the issue was resolved (earlier that day a gentleman had told me I would have a resolution by end of day, which I didn't). At this point I had been waiting over two weeks for my 'instant download'. When I finally got a phone call from the 'resolution team' it turned out that my email had been entered incorrectly by the original rep. I entered the incorrect email and my download worked. MANY lost hours and LOTS of frustration because of a typo on their end, followed by multiple contacts with clueless and customer 'support' reps. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. NEVER shopping here again."

"I wouldn't recommend buying any software from this reseller. I paid $150.00 for the software and when I tried to download it, a message came out saying that the software might harm your computer. And when I contacted both the manufacturer and reseller they gave me a lot of promises saying they will try to resolve the problem and give me a call once they already have."

Academic Superstore is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Academic Superstore is not a merchant member
Academic Superstore does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!