Stores > Abe of Maine

Shipping & packaging: Rating 7.08/10 7.08/10
    Customer service: Rating 6.67/10 6.67/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10

Deceitful New Leaf Extended Warranty Contracts sold by Abe

"I would NEVER purchase another TV from Abe of Maine, but if you ignore this advise and insist on buying from them, here's some valuable advise.

Read the terms carefully. The following clause in the their terms will void any hope of getting them to repair OR replace your TV after a couple years into the warranty because TV manufacturers stop making the parts:

"Should repair parts become unavailable because a manufacturer has gone out of business or if a manufacturer no longer provides product support and all parts sources have been exhausted during the coverage period of this Plan, the Administrator/Obligor shall be excused from performance hereunder and you shall receive a full refund of the purchase price paid by you for the Plan less claims paid, if any. Replacement products may be new or rebuilt products. In no event shall the Administrator/Obligor be liable for any damages as a result of the unavailability of repair parts."

I filed a claim and was told "parts unavailable" even though nobody from New Leaf even inspected the TV. Obviously they can claim this issue any time the repair exceeds the cost of giving you back the money you paid for the warranty. IT"S USELESS. How are you suppose to contest their dishonesty?

I called Abe Customer Service and they insisted I should be given a replacement TV by New Leaf but if not "threaten to sue them"!!! They didn't offer any other assistance. Is this the kind of Customer Service you want if you purchase a product from Abe?

So DON"T TRUST ABE an it's New Leaf partner is the result of this debacle.

Feels like FRAUD, don't you think?

You still really want to give them your business?

"ABES of Maine USED to be a decent company. But they have changed to a 'bait and switch' company. Being a 74 yr old disabled person, I ordered a Nikon P900 camera on their website offered for $535; I had a $10 coupon which brought it down to $525. I was happy. Next day 'Jeff' calls to 'verify' and first tells me the camera only comes with a 30-minute battery but he has this great promotion that he will give me two Nikon batteries for $75. I call back to confirm about the batteries, and THIS time he tells me that the camera comes with NO BATTERY! However, on the website, it clearly states Nikon En-EL23 batter (included). And the 2 batteries he is sending is 1 Nikon and 1 Bower ($14 on Bower's website)!! Oh yeah.. He brought my orig order of $525 up to $604!!! I asked to cancel the order; he said it's already being processed. I called Customer Service, Jason. He said it's already shipped, so he couldn't cancel. I discussed the battery situation; he said 'well, that's a type error on the website'.. THERE IS NO BATTERY INCLUDED!!! What has happened to this company? I talked with him for 1 LONG hour, telling him how upset I was and all I wanted was the camera with battery included, that I initially ordered for $525. I said I would gladly send him the Bower battery back; he said he's losing money because they sent it UPS. I DID NOT ASK NOR WANT THIS UPS... I asked to be able to return the package what should arrives, minus the 15% restocking fee because of their misrepresentation of the product; said he couldn't do that !! He had an answer for everything.. I asked for him to contact UPS and cancel; he said he couldn't as it would cost them more money (I checked afterwards and UPS hadn't picked it up yet!!!!). I said fine, when it arrives I will get a RMA from you and return at your expense (as Jeff had said), and that I would reimbursed every penny. And Jason says, oh no... You pay return shipping and 15% restocking fee. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY... THEY ARE MISREPRESENTING THEIR PRODUCT.. and then saying it's a typo error on the website specifications of the product. And I agree with the other review... Those 4/5 star reviews are being made up by their friends/family/whatever.

DONT GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS HORRIBLE EXCUSE OF A COMPANY!! FYI .. They are no longer even Abe's of Maine .. Maine kicked them out and they are now under a different name in New Jersey! Scammers!!!

This review was modified by Kayenta on September 07 2016 11:45:34 AM

Great Service- Great Price!

"I have been shopping for a camera for over a year. I knew I wanted a Canon SLR because my wife has one. We have multiple lenses. The question was price and where to buy it. My internet searching found the best price at Abe's of Maine. I called first to ask questions about the camera I wanted. I spoke to Jeff who answered all of my questions.
I placed the order online and called back to ask about shipping. Again I spoke to Jeff, he was very nice to me and patient. I would definitely recommend Abe's of Maine and Jeff to family and friends.

Superb Customer Service

"Ok given a price for a brand new XT-1 of $999 in most places, one has to know that when camera is being sold for $749, something "gray" is going on. However, if you know the camera and you know that it has been out long enough now for the various bugs to be worked out by Fuji, getting a new xt-1 for $749, without a warranty essentially, is still far better than buying a used camera (pig in the poke as my dad used to say) for roughly the same price or more on todays market. Other than sensor dust, I have not had a problem with any of my fuji cameras - the pro 1, xpro2, a couple of xt-1's prior to this one (one went down on the street when I tripped over a guard rail...damned guard rails!!!)...a x100s, x100T and an x20, my first fuji camera...they are simply well built cameras. And if there is going to be a problem it is almost always seen when the camera first comes out.

And so I save $250 which I can apply to a sensor cleaning at some place that does a faster and better job than FujiFilm down in NJ...sorry Fuji, that place has lied to me, kept me hanging, done shoddy work.

Now as for Abe's...Jeff Stevens, the guy that I spoke with to order the camera, was an absolute gentleman and offered patient and knowledgable service. And I am not an easy customer to deal with, ask lots of questions, speak my mind. Jeff even gave me expedited delivery at no extra cost, which makes my immediate gratification syndrome very happy. The camera was delivered two days after the sale, in mint mint condition. It was a relatively new model because it only needed the latest firmware upgrade. Fabulous!!

Any of you old enough will remember the Avis slogan, We try harder (was it Avis?)...Abe's went thru a difficult transition when it was bought out from the current corp in NJ...plenty of evidence for that on the www....I got a new camera at an amazing price, got flawless, courteous service, generous even and I am a totally happy camper! Thank you Jeff!

This review was modified by yeiter on June 30 2016 02:06:22 PM

Like family....that you like

"What can I say. I would adopt these guys it if it was possible. They treat you like family. They only suggest what makes sense on your purchase. And then they make it worth your while."

RE: Thank You Jeff and Abe's of Maine for the Speedy Delivery, Excellent Service and Pricing on My New Lenses

"I would like to thank you Jeff and Abe's of Maine for your excellent handling, pricing and speedy delivery on my new Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM Sports lens and Sigma 120-300 DG OS HSM Sports lens today. You and Abe's of Maine are the sales representative and company that I look forward to working with in the future. Thank You very much for the efficient handling and delivery of my orders. BRAVO, this is now internet sales is meant to be at its very best.

This review was modified by ChrisPorzio on June 24 2016 02:16:38 PM

Abe of Maine faster than the Speed of Light!!!

"Abe of Maine is faster than the speed of light! I called Mr. Jeff Stevens on Monday, June 19, to confirm my online order for a Nikon 5200 camera, and by Thursday, June 23, the UPS man was at my door. The camera arrived in perfect condition. I wholeheartedly recommend Abe of Maine! Thank you, Jeff, for your wonderful service!! "

This review was modified by Earl79 on June 23 2016 10:57:43 AM

Bait & Switch, Deceptive, Dishonest: NOT an Authorized Dealer!!!

"They have sold me a Sony camera which is similar to the U.S. version but is not a U.S. model and did not say anything. Now if I want to take photos in the U.S. standard format NTSC it takes an extremely long time for the camera to boot up. An when I called up Sony they had confirmed that this model is not made for the U.S. market, and besides that it will prevent me from taking photos quickly the parts will also be hard to get since it's not a model for the U.S. market.
Apparently they are buying stuff over seas which are not U.S. versions and selling it here. Won't buying anything else from them."
Classic bait and switch operation. Avoid them!!!

This review was modified by Max2010 on June 24 2016 12:48:09 PM

"Thank You, Jason"

"Jason Scott, Abe of Maine Customer Service Manager, was extremely helpful with a shipping logistics problem. Jason was very courteous. He listened very closely to find out the details of my situation. He then advised me on how we could resolve the problem. The problem was resolved within a few hours of contacting the office."

This review was modified by PStephenson on April 27 2016 11:36:10 AM

Was a pleasure doing business with Abe's of Maine!

"Everything was smooth and nice, we love our new tv, was as we expected and even when we live in the very south of the country, was here on time and in perfect shape :)

Thank you Jason and Ted!!!

This review was modified by virginiap on April 20 2016 02:21:17 PM

Rushed order with no problem

"I needed a camera lens quickly and Jeff hooked me up with the fastest shipping. Since I am local, he called to confirm the order and got it to me quickly. Would buy from them again."

This review was modified by LeoGio on April 18 2016 04:56:27 PM

Jeff is the man!

"Jeff from Abe's of Maine just called to followup on my order. He pleasantly offered me some extra items to go with the camera I purchased. He validated my info and upgraded me to faster shipping. I was extremely pleased knowing my camera would be here for the weekend. This is my first purchase from Abe's and with this type of followup I will be getting the rest of my photo equipment here as well. "

This review was modified by Mrfixit0623 on April 18 2016 12:29:49 PM

Bait & Switch and VERY RUDE!!! (Update at the bottom)

"My mother has been putting money away for a new television for almost a year now. She is finally ready to purchase and asked me for some assistance. I found her the LG 55EF9500 and searched Google shopping for the best price. Abe's of Maine came up (Google yourself and see) with a price of $2329 with no tax and free shipping. This television sells for $2999 in most all big box retailers and she just couldn't afford that much. She was however willing to stretch her budget a little to accommodate the $2329 price.

Having dealt with them many years ago I advised my Mom that this is a good company and to go ahead and make the purchase. She did. Boy was that a mistake.

The next day she received a call, first asking her to purchase extended warranty plans, and when she declined, telling her that she would have to pay $289 for the shipping. She questioned this and was then told that it's to cover the insurance on the shipment. She texted me what was going on and I told her not to pay them anything more than she already had. Their website specifically stated free shipping in not one but two places (once on the product page itself and another when you are checking out). The man who called her (Jeff Stevens x272) was rude to her and she got off the phone and asked me to step in.

I called Jeff and asked what was going on. He fed me the same line about paying for the insurance of the shipment. I responded by saying you cannot state free shipping in multiple places on your website and then call and basically say "Ha Ha, just kidding, pay us another $289 or you don't get the product". He started yelling at me (bear in mind I did not speak to him in an agitated voice in any way) saying I shouldn't bother ever calling them again until I "learned how to speak to people".

I told him to cancel the order and hung up.

Classic bait and switch operation. Run away!

I wanted to write this update because after posting reviews on Yelp, Reseller Ratings, and the BBB, I received a call from Abe's of Maine's customer service manager who was very nice and very helpful. He apologized numerous times for everything that transpired and agreed to sell the TV to my mother for exactly what is listed on the website (read: no additional charges). The TV was delivered today (white glove) and everything looks good.

This review was modified by kittonian on May 02 2016 08:57:34 AM

"i placed the order with Abe of Maine with now hassle. Jason in customer service is ecxelent to deal with. I recommend this company to all."

A pleasure

"Jeff handled my order with efficiency and professionalism. When a problem arose with my card, he quickly took care of it. This is my second camera order from Abe's of Maine and I will order from them again."

This review was modified by msilfer on April 04 2016 02:41:42 PM

Share Abe of Maine's store rating

Abe of Maine is a Merchant Member! Learn more

Abe of Maine is a merchant member
Abe of Maine participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 2,634 merchant members.