Product & services pricing Rating 4.00/10 4.00/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.50/10 1.50/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.50/10 1.50/10

"Sent in over 200 dollars worth of books , but got non-reply emails stating none received.

This company is purely constructed for sheer DECEIT and FRAUD. Ask around and see if you can find one happy customer. If I were you I would certainly beware and do business ELSEWHERE.

modified review This review was modified by Howardhtkoo on August 10 2014 08:26:50 AM

"AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST! THE COMPANY REFUSES TO HELP ME! ORDERED MY BOOK ON 29 OF MAY--TODAY IS THE 3 OF JULY..STILL NO BOOK--AND THE COMPANY IS NOT REPLYING! NEVER AGAIN! I WILL FOREVER GO TO AMAZON! "

"What a rip off. I bought a book for a whopping $100! And when it arrived it hAd an 8.50 price tag on it. Never again. "

modified review This review was modified by Ruthz1234 on June 26 2014 05:12:44 PM

"This is absolutely the worse company I have ever dealt with!! I ordered a textbook on the 8th of April and today is April 25th as I still have not received it. My class started on April 22nd as I am already behind in my class. I called customer service and they just advised that the book takes 4-14 business days and they don't ship it that I should get in touch with the seller. I emailed the seller 3x's and no response. I can't even obtain a tracking number as no one claims to have a tracking number. They also advised that I can not even apply for a refund until 7 days after April 28th ? SCAM Don't order from this company. I have been ordering textbooks for 6 years and have NEVER had such an awful experience. I have maintained a 4.0 avg. in college however, due to I still do not have this textbook my grade in my current class will suffer.

modified review This review was modified by Bkolo on April 25 2014 08:43:51 AM

"I first discovered ABEbooks in the 1996 when the internet first caught on. I have been a book collector and sometimes dealer for many years. And ABEbooks is the LARGEST USED BOOKSELLER IN THE WORLD. So for price and selection they can't be beat. I know you are thinking what about Amazon? Well they started as a book seller and have become a cross between Walmart & eBay selling new & used everything for everybody. AbeBooks is a network of bookstores, dealers, collectors & charities selling over 50 million books. It's an easy site to use with mostly reliable dealers. I look for a seller with 90% or above positive ratings, over a thousand sales, and then compare condition & price. For used books this the biggest source on the planet."

"What a horrible experience !
They just take your money and throw their hands in the air if something goes wrong !

They can't prove they send me my book nor can they tell me anything about the shipping !
No tracking
No Parcel number !

They just take your money !!

modified review This review was modified by rawoke on February 03 2014 06:16:20 AM

"We have ordered books through AbeBooks in the past and have not had any problems. Recently however, I ordered and paid for a book but it never arrived. After working with their customer service online, they refunded my money. I feel comfortable that if there is a problem then AbeBooks will resolve it fairly."

"I got scammed through one of the sellers on this site (Amazing Books International). Bought a book, paid for it through PayPal and then the wait commenced.... Emailed the seller multiple times and they had many excuses as to why it hadn't come.

After a month and a half of no book, I emailed AbeBooks about the seller. They said they couldn't do anything except try and contact the seller, which they did. After this they said they couldn't do anything except offer me a 10% discount on my next purchase. Needless to say I went and bought the book elsewhere. Still haven't received it (or a refund) from the seller on AbeBooks.

modified review This review was modified by Mcgrew1 on October 09 2013 03:59:31 PM

"I ordered a book from Abebooks that was supposed to be in stock. After one week I began trying to contact them because I needed the book right away for school. I began sending daily emails and calling. Every time I called I received an answering machine. They never responded to any of my emails or phone messages. I filed a dispute with my credit card company, but did receive the book the following day. Two and a half weeks was bad enough, but there customer service was the worse I every seen."

modified review This review was modified by pkor1111 on September 09 2013 07:36:49 PM

"http://www.abebooks.com/

NEVER SHOP HERE! I purchased a lab manual (that was not labeled used on the site) where terms and answers need to be filled in, and it arrived with everything prefilled, and ~30 pages missing. When I complained they refused to ship me a new copy, refused to take responsibility and then told me to purchase a new one THEN they would refund a PARTIAL amount once I sent them a receipt.

AVOID THIS SITE!

"I HAVE BEEN WAITING A MONTH FOR MY DAUGHTER'S SUMMER READING BOOK FROM THIS COMPANY. I RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE EVER BUYS FROM THIS SITE AS YOU WILL NEVER GET YOUR MERCHANDISE. BIG SCAM."

modified review This review was modified by chardy81 on July 12 2013 06:52:41 AM

"I would not use this site again. I ordered a couple of books, paid for Express shipping and did not receive it on time...still waiting. Also, you have to wait 8 days to dispute things..8 DAYS! The sellers don't have to wait 8 days to charge you! They do not require their sellers to use tracking numbers; which makes waiting for the mail man a real nail-bitter and if you have a deadline, you are at a loss. Their customer service is really just a middle man, they are between you and the seller, so I can't say they don't try or that they're very effective. If you use them, be ready to just call your credit card company and get your money back a lot faster. Oh, and don't trust URBookstore, terrible company to deal with. They can't even compose an email, much less give you a tracking number or a good answer."

modified review This review was modified by flyingreader on July 11 2013 02:45:09 PM

"I ordered 3 books last month because it was way to cheaper than amazon. So far I am very displeased. It took them a week to ship my books. Than I had to pay another week to get my books. I should have got my order in 5 days normally. I am very disappointed with their service. I thought they were a good company until I ordered from them. After reading all of the other reviews here I don’t think that I am gonna use this website again."

"Buying books from AbeBooks is a risky thing.

I placed my order on June 11 and immediately got the notification that the book seller had confirmed my order and that the book had been shipped to me the same day.Four weeks later, I still had not got the book. For your interest: the seller was located in Germany and I live in Belgium. I contacted AbeBooks but just got the answer that I had to write directly to the seller, which I did. I wrote to him twice, and just after the second time, the seller let me know that he just had shipped my order. It was delivered a few days later.

I will never ever order books from AbeBooks because of the following:
1. They send you a notification about shipping, which in my case was a lie, but nevertheless charge your card the same day when you place your order (200 euro in my case). I had to mail the seller directly to ask for a tracking number.
2. The seller can do whatever he/she wants. In my case, the so called bookshop in Germany did not even exist according to the local phone book! It was just a private person who waited for ever to send me my order.
3. When you place your order, you can choose among different ways of shipping. This is just rubbish. The seller himself/herself decides when and how the book is shipped, and you pay extra for just nothing.

Mind you: the book was eventually sent to me, but arrived one month after my credit card had been charged. I advice customers to contact the sellers directly and not to pay through AbeBooks.

modified review This review was modified by bobdenuyl on July 09 2013 04:19:54 AM

"Amazon.com owns AbeBooks, they are a subsidiary company.

AbeBooks then acts as a kind of half.ebay.com for book sellers.

THE PROBLEM HERE is that AbeBooks.com does not back up customers, they simply allow their sellers to do as they wish. If you have any problem with a seller, AbeBooks "customer service" will simply give you "sweet talk" and pretend to care. THEY WILL DO NOTHING TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM. Nor do they seem to be very discriminate in who they allow to sell through their site, or even REPRIMAND them in any way if they conduct business poorly.

So, basically, if you buy a book through AbeBooks you are BLINDLY BUYING THROUGH A VEIL. AbeBooks is the front, but they don't care what goes on behind the scenes, and if there is a problem they will not do anything more for you than simply passing a message on to the actual seller (which may or may not be a legitimate business).

BEWARE, and additionally question why Amazon.com would allow this from a company that they own. These are the owners (who should all be ashamed) and their partners: Gail Wills, Darryl Vezina, William Yu (Director), Mariette Bedard, Jeryl Metz, Yung Choi, Sarah Stein, Courtenay Steele, Don Rosick, Charles Purro, Rick Pura (co-founder), Wilfred Eder, Jean Schmetz, John Tribone, Brent James, Jerome Joseph, James Wilson, Joseph Franc, Michael Villancourt, William Thornhill, Dougals Westerberg, Janet Novick, Barry Novick, Brian Hooley, Sue Connors, Judy Hamza, Thomas Nicol, Lilo Eder

modified review This review was modified by seamusmchardon on July 07 2013 07:28:33 PM

AbeBooks / Because You Read is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

AbeBooks / Because You Read is not a merchant member
AbeBooks / Because You Read does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!