• Rating 1.83/10 151 reviews

AbeBooks / Because You Read is not a merchant member
    AbeBooks / Because You Read does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!
  • AbeBooks / Because You Read contact information

Product & services pricing Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Customer service: Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10

"I first discovered ABEbooks in the 1996 when the internet first caught on. I have been a book collector and sometimes dealer for many years. And ABEbooks is the LARGEST USED BOOKSELLER IN THE WORLD. So for price and selection they can't be beat. I know you are thinking what about Amazon? Well they started as a book seller and have become a cross between Walmart & eBay selling new & used everything for everybody. AbeBooks is a network of bookstores, dealers, collectors & charities selling over 50 million books. It's an easy site to use with mostly reliable dealers. I look for a seller with 90% or above positive ratings, over a thousand sales, and then compare condition & price. For used books this the biggest source on the planet."

"What a horrible experience !
They just take your money and throw their hands in the air if something goes wrong !

They can't prove they send me my book nor can they tell me anything about the shipping !
No tracking
No Parcel number !

They just take your money !!

modified review This review was modified by rawoke on February 03 2014 06:16:20 AM
Rating 8/104/5

"We have ordered books through AbeBooks in the past and have not had any problems. Recently however, I ordered and paid for a book but it never arrived. After working with their customer service online, they refunded my money. I feel comfortable that if there is a problem then AbeBooks will resolve it fairly."

"I got scammed through one of the sellers on this site (Amazing Books International). Bought a book, paid for it through PayPal and then the wait commenced.... Emailed the seller multiple times and they had many excuses as to why it hadn't come.

After a month and a half of no book, I emailed AbeBooks about the seller. They said they couldn't do anything except try and contact the seller, which they did. After this they said they couldn't do anything except offer me a 10% discount on my next purchase. Needless to say I went and bought the book elsewhere. Still haven't received it (or a refund) from the seller on AbeBooks.

modified review This review was modified by Mcgrew1 on October 09 2013 03:59:31 PM

"I ordered a book from Abebooks that was supposed to be in stock. After one week I began trying to contact them because I needed the book right away for school. I began sending daily emails and calling. Every time I called I received an answering machine. They never responded to any of my emails or phone messages. I filed a dispute with my credit card company, but did receive the book the following day. Two and a half weeks was bad enough, but there customer service was the worse I every seen."

modified review This review was modified by pkor1111 on September 09 2013 07:36:49 PM

"http://www.abebooks.com/

NEVER SHOP HERE! I purchased a lab manual (that was not labeled used on the site) where terms and answers need to be filled in, and it arrived with everything prefilled, and ~30 pages missing. When I complained they refused to ship me a new copy, refused to take responsibility and then told me to purchase a new one THEN they would refund a PARTIAL amount once I sent them a receipt.

AVOID THIS SITE!

"I HAVE BEEN WAITING A MONTH FOR MY DAUGHTER'S SUMMER READING BOOK FROM THIS COMPANY. I RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE EVER BUYS FROM THIS SITE AS YOU WILL NEVER GET YOUR MERCHANDISE. BIG SCAM."

modified review This review was modified by chardy81 on July 12 2013 06:52:41 AM

"I would not use this site again. I ordered a couple of books, paid for Express shipping and did not receive it on time...still waiting. Also, you have to wait 8 days to dispute things..8 DAYS! The sellers don't have to wait 8 days to charge you! They do not require their sellers to use tracking numbers; which makes waiting for the mail man a real nail-bitter and if you have a deadline, you are at a loss. Their customer service is really just a middle man, they are between you and the seller, so I can't say they don't try or that they're very effective. If you use them, be ready to just call your credit card company and get your money back a lot faster. Oh, and don't trust URBookstore, terrible company to deal with. They can't even compose an email, much less give you a tracking number or a good answer."

modified review This review was modified by flyingreader on July 11 2013 02:45:09 PM

"I ordered 3 books last month because it was way to cheaper than amazon. So far I am very displeased. It took them a week to ship my books. Than I had to pay another week to get my books. I should have got my order in 5 days normally. I am very disappointed with their service. I thought they were a good company until I ordered from them. After reading all of the other reviews here I don’t think that I am gonna use this website again."

"Buying books from AbeBooks is a risky thing.

I placed my order on June 11 and immediately got the notification that the book seller had confirmed my order and that the book had been shipped to me the same day.Four weeks later, I still had not got the book. For your interest: the seller was located in Germany and I live in Belgium. I contacted AbeBooks but just got the answer that I had to write directly to the seller, which I did. I wrote to him twice, and just after the second time, the seller let me know that he just had shipped my order. It was delivered a few days later.

I will never ever order books from AbeBooks because of the following:
1. They send you a notification about shipping, which in my case was a lie, but nevertheless charge your card the same day when you place your order (200 euro in my case). I had to mail the seller directly to ask for a tracking number.
2. The seller can do whatever he/she wants. In my case, the so called bookshop in Germany did not even exist according to the local phone book! It was just a private person who waited for ever to send me my order.
3. When you place your order, you can choose among different ways of shipping. This is just rubbish. The seller himself/herself decides when and how the book is shipped, and you pay extra for just nothing.

Mind you: the book was eventually sent to me, but arrived one month after my credit card had been charged. I advice customers to contact the sellers directly and not to pay through AbeBooks.

modified review This review was modified by bobdenuyl on July 09 2013 04:19:54 AM

"Amazon.com owns AbeBooks, they are a subsidiary company.

AbeBooks then acts as a kind of half.ebay.com for book sellers.

THE PROBLEM HERE is that AbeBooks.com does not back up customers, they simply allow their sellers to do as they wish. If you have any problem with a seller, AbeBooks "customer service" will simply give you "sweet talk" and pretend to care. THEY WILL DO NOTHING TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM. Nor do they seem to be very discriminate in who they allow to sell through their site, or even REPRIMAND them in any way if they conduct business poorly.

So, basically, if you buy a book through AbeBooks you are BLINDLY BUYING THROUGH A VEIL. AbeBooks is the front, but they don't care what goes on behind the scenes, and if there is a problem they will not do anything more for you than simply passing a message on to the actual seller (which may or may not be a legitimate business).

BEWARE, and additionally question why Amazon.com would allow this from a company that they own. These are the owners (who should all be ashamed) and their partners: Gail Wills, Darryl Vezina, William Yu (Director), Mariette Bedard, Jeryl Metz, Yung Choi, Sarah Stein, Courtenay Steele, Don Rosick, Charles Purro, Rick Pura (co-founder), Wilfred Eder, Jean Schmetz, John Tribone, Brent James, Jerome Joseph, James Wilson, Joseph Franc, Michael Villancourt, William Thornhill, Dougals Westerberg, Janet Novick, Barry Novick, Brian Hooley, Sue Connors, Judy Hamza, Thomas Nicol, Lilo Eder

modified review This review was modified by seamusmchardon on July 07 2013 07:28:33 PM

"I ordered a textbook on the website for my class this semester. After purchasing the book I was informed the shipping timeframe would be up to 16 business days. As this site had the best price for the book I was patiently waiting for delivery. I contacted customer service regarding the status of the order and they assured me that the book was still scheduled to be delivered by June 3rd. I decided to then inquire with their book seller delivering the order which also is routed through Abe's customer service. Today, 23 days after I placed the order and two weeks into my semester at school I am contacted and told the order should have never been accepted and they don't have the book. The customer service department was clueless and didnt even consider opening an investigation with their vendor to avoid issues like this in the future. Needless to say I will not be using this website for any future textbook purchases.

Below is an additional response that I received from the company. Is providing a discount that expires in less than 2 weeks really a sign of good customer service? If anyone wants to use the coupon below, feel free as I will not.

From: buyertech <buyertech@abebooks.com>

RE:
Sales Order No.: 84092606
Abebooks Order No.: 101415442
Author: Ernest H. Forman
Title: Decision by Objectives: How to Convince (Paperback)
Estimated Delivery Date: Jun 3, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that it took so long for your order to be updated as unavailable.

I can assure you that we require high completion rates of our booksellers so that we can prevent as many cancellations as possible. We and our booksellers are committed to providing you with great customer service.

I sincerely apologize for the frustration you?ve experienced. As a token of apology, I would like to offer you a discount coupon for 10% off the book price of your next purchase, to a maximum discount of $15.00 off the book price only. (Note: Your coupon discount does not apply to shipping amounts.)

Your coupon code is: ULGEXL
Your coupon expires on: June 15, 2013

Full instructions on how you can redeem your coupon can be found at: http://www.abebooks.com/help/Searching-Ordering/how-to-redeem-a-coupon.html

Please feel free to contact me should you have any further questions or concerns
and I will be happy to help.

Sincerely,

Cheri L
AbeBooks Customer Support
AbeBooks.com Passion for books.

Need further assistance?
Visit our online help pages: http://help.abebooks.com/
Email: http://www.abebooks.com/abe/ActionRequestInsert
Telephone: 206.508.4035 or 1.800.315.5335 (7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Pacific Time),
Monday to Friday)

Security Tip - Please do not send credit card numbers or confidential
information via e-mail or other non-secure methods.

www.abebooks.com | www.abebooks.co.uk | www.abebooks.de | www.abebooks.fr |
www.abebooks.it | www.iberlibro.com

modified review This review was modified by Keeree18 on June 05 2013 05:00:13 PM

"I recently ordered books from abebooks.com. It took them 15 days to process my order and when I complained that I needed the book they simply said, "We know the books were sent outside the 2 day processing period, but they are on their way." Due to your abominable customer service, I will never use you again and I will spread the word."

modified review This review was modified by Montesquieu on June 02 2013 05:28:29 AM

"Bad experience here. I've purchased 10 books and have received 6 in a time lapse of 3 years.

It seems that there are very bad vendors or those vendors have thieves as employees... and those thieves never send the books!

I am very disappointed with their service because I'm never sure if I will get them or not.

From those 4 times I lost books, only in two occasions I got a refund.

Very risky...

"I placed the order with Wonder Books and received it in 5 days. The other books came from Bookhouse and I received them in 8 days. I am very pleased with the service and the books were exactly as described. The price was great. THANKS ABEBOOKS AND SELLERS! I will be doing future business and pass the word to my family and friends.

modified review This review was modified by dbwest2005 on February 15 2013 10:25:10 AM