• AbeBooks / Beca

Customer service: Rating 3.33/10 3.33/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.50/10 2.50/10

lyricsoflife's Avatar
Derby, KS

"I've purchased many books through AbeBooks the last few years. I have had a couple bad experiences with sellers but overall its been a great experience. I typically look up the sellers webpage before I order to make sure they look legit and respectable. I've actually found a few bookstores I order from directly now due to finding them in AbeBooks.
I wish they had some way of vetting their sellers, this would be very helpful. Overall a good experience using AbeBooks.

"This is the WORST place to get books from! I paid extra to get my book here within ATLEAST 10 days. After 2 weeks, I received nothing. Contacted them, they said wait 2 more days... still nothing. Highly Disappointed! I will NEVER order from them again. "

"Paid $30 for a single book. Waited - no book. Contacted AbeBooks, they told me to contact the seller directly. Seller promised delivery. Waited - no book. Asked seller by email to provide tracking information. No reply. Complained to AbeBooks. They told me to claim a refund. But their system would not let let me. Asked what I should do. No reply for quite a while - turns out they were trying to contact the seller, unsuccessfully. AbeBooks then refunded me, with an apology and a generous discount on a subsequent purchase.

modified review This review was modified by eocdp on February 06 2015 09:43:48 PM

"I bought 5 books from abebooks. I received just 1. The money is from a public university and research project. I did complaints and asked about the books. Unfortunately it was not finished. (I am spending 3 months). Money back or send me the books. Valter vieira PhD"

"THE "NEW, HARDCOVER" TEXTBOOK I PAID NEARLY $200 FOR ARRIVED AND WAS A VERY USED, PAPERBACK WITH MISSING PAGES!!! UNACCEPTABLE. A TOTAL SCAM SELLER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! LOOK ELSEWHERE OR SUFFER THE SAME ANGER AND FRUSTRATION I HAVE!!! REQUIRE A $40 SHIPPING/RESTOCKING FEE!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!"

"bought a Bible from the seller Fullerstone Books and was very pleased. book new as described and received in 3 business days. saved $30 over local bookstore that gave me a hard time on price matching. too bad about the bad reviews here. my experience was very pleasant."

"Ordered two books on Nov. 24,2014 hoping to give as xmas presents. Neither book has arrived 12/23/2014 inquired and both sellers claim they had been shipped. Requested a refund says its being processed 1/1/2015 still awaiting refund. Thought maybe this was a reputable company but now know better will call my VISA company tomorrow have them do a charge back."

modified review This review was modified by petek153 on January 01 2015 12:26:51 AM

"This company is a ripoff with horrible customer service. I ordered a book from this company and the seller was listed in Houston Texas, with 5 stars, however, the next morning I received and email stating that the book shipped from Malaysia. The company would not refund my money. It will be my last order from Abebooks. How deceptive is that??"

modified review This review was modified by justme. on December 29 2014 07:26:41 AM

"Scam

bunch of scammers, beware dont buy your books from this company

i purchased a book in september that was listed as New but when i got it, it was cleary used. The book had torn pages, writing on it, the cover was coming apart and creases on the pages etc. I told them about it and they told me to send it back for a refund. I then asked how does the refund process work, they told me that they only refund for the purchased price and that i would have to post back out of my own pocket. This is completely ridiculous as the postage cost alone would cost me more then the book itself as we normal consumers are not entitled to corporate postal rates like they are. Also considering it was their fault they should cover the expenses and thats not taking into the account the time i would have to waste to pack and post the book back to them.

The only reason i bought from them in the first place was that it was the cheapest option as i normally buy from amazon or bookdepository. This was my first and definitely will be my last purchase from them. I definitely recommend you buy from somewhere else.

"The resellers on this website look to be scamsters. They add '[Please Read Carefully Before Buying]' note with clever disclaimers.

I urgently needed a book which was quite expensive. After looking through many websites, I stumbled upon Abebooks and found an international edition listed on its website which was much cheaper. When the book finally arrived, I was shocked to see a book with the same title but a "different author". I had to miss a few more class assignments and grades because of this!! And after having lost trust on these dubious resellers, I bought the book from amazon at full price.

modified review This review was modified by nbcal94 on December 07 2014 05:39:01 PM

"Seller requested extra charges after ordering and payment done :("

modified review This review was modified by ruiantonio on December 03 2014 10:19:01 AM

"I purchased a book and the seller said he didn't have it and cancelled the sale. 6 emails to get a refund, then they refunded for the book NOT the shipping. 6 more emails to get the shipping refunded. THEY CANCELLED I DIDN`T!!! Then I get my Visa bill and I have been charged for currency conversion. WTF? It's costing me money because YOU cancelled the transaction!!!!!! Contacted Rosalyn M. - AbeBooks Customer Support and was told it wasn't their problem. So ended up paying money for a book I would never receive because the awful seller was too lazy to take it off his listings. Take my advice and buy on ebay, amazon,chapters alibris or bookfinder4u!!!!! No issues with them!"

"absolute garbage. ordered on the 24th of September. Response when asked if I could get a tracking number on my package, "It left our warehouse, expect delivery by 17 Oct." Bottom line, if you need a book for school, order somewhere else or spend the extra $1.50 to buy from amazon with guaranteed 2 day delivery. For other sales or if you don't mind waiting for the next couple editions to come out by the time you get your book then, by all means order from the ABE."

"Avoid like the plague. I ordered school books for my daughter on the 2nd September and today the 23rd September they are nowhere to be seen.

I also had issues logging on and their automated system wouldn't recognise my registered email address. They couldn't figure out the issue and I had to discovered my myself that their .com and .co.uk websites don't actually synchronise accounts so if you created in one, it won't work in the other.

Still waiting for my books and I will stick to Amazon in future or look elsewhere. 0/10.

modified review This review was modified by MartinLopez on September 23 2014 01:46:07 AM

AbeBooks / Because You Read User

"Ordered three books from Abebooks. One was moldy and went straight to trash, the second was softcover instead of hardback and the third was OK. Abebooks and the sellers involved showed zero interest in assisting me.
Avoid this company.

Share AbeBooks / Because You Read's store rating

AbeBooks / Because You Read is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

AbeBooks / Because You Read is not a merchant member
AbeBooks / Because You Read does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!