Product & services pricing Rating 3.75/10 3.75/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 1.04/10 1.04/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.68/10 0.68/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.36/10 0.36/10

"Scam

bunch of scammers, beware dont buy your books from this company

i purchased a book in september that was listed as New but when i got it, it was cleary used. The book had torn pages, writing on it, the cover was coming apart and creases on the pages etc. I told them about it and they told me to send it back for a refund. I then asked how does the refund process work, they told me that they only refund for the purchased price and that i would have to post back out of my own pocket. This is completely ridiculous as the postage cost alone would cost me more then the book itself as we normal consumers are not entitled to corporate postal rates like they are. Also considering it was their fault they should cover the expenses and thats not taking into the account the time i would have to waste to pack and post the book back to them.

The only reason i bought from them in the first place was that it was the cheapest option as i normally buy from amazon or bookdepository. This was my first and definitely will be my last purchase from them. I definitely recommend you buy from somewhere else.

"The resellers on this website look to be scamsters. They add '[Please Read Carefully Before Buying]' note with clever disclaimers.

I urgently needed a book which was quite expensive. After looking through many websites, I stumbled upon Abebooks and found an international edition listed on its website which was much cheaper. When the book finally arrived, I was shocked to see a book with the same title but a "different author". I had to miss a few more class assignments and grades because of this!! And after having lost trust on these dubious resellers, I bought the book from amazon at full price.

modified review This review was modified by nbcal94 on December 07 2014 05:39:01 PM

"Seller requested extra charges after ordering and payment done :("

modified review This review was modified by ruiantonio on December 03 2014 10:19:01 AM

"I purchased a book and the seller said he didn't have it and cancelled the sale. 6 emails to get a refund, then they refunded for the book NOT the shipping. 6 more emails to get the shipping refunded. THEY CANCELLED I DIDN`T!!! Then I get my Visa bill and I have been charged for currency conversion. WTF? It's costing me money because YOU cancelled the transaction!!!!!! Contacted Rosalyn M. - AbeBooks Customer Support and was told it wasn't their problem. So ended up paying money for a book I would never receive because the awful seller was too lazy to take it off his listings. Take my advice and buy on ebay, amazon,chapters alibris or bookfinder4u!!!!! No issues with them!"

"absolute garbage. ordered on the 24th of September. Response when asked if I could get a tracking number on my package, "It left our warehouse, expect delivery by 17 Oct." Bottom line, if you need a book for school, order somewhere else or spend the extra $1.50 to buy from amazon with guaranteed 2 day delivery. For other sales or if you don't mind waiting for the next couple editions to come out by the time you get your book then, by all means order from the ABE."

"Avoid like the plague. I ordered school books for my daughter on the 2nd September and today the 23rd September they are nowhere to be seen.

I also had issues logging on and their automated system wouldn't recognise my registered email address. They couldn't figure out the issue and I had to discovered my myself that their .com and .co.uk websites don't actually synchronise accounts so if you created in one, it won't work in the other.

Still waiting for my books and I will stick to Amazon in future or look elsewhere. 0/10.

modified review This review was modified by MartinLopez on September 23 2014 01:46:07 AM

AbeBooks / Because You Read User

"Ordered three books from Abebooks. One was moldy and went straight to trash, the second was softcover instead of hardback and the third was OK. Abebooks and the sellers involved showed zero interest in assisting me.
Avoid this company.

"Just got my two books in 9 days, shipped from the UK to Canada. I couldn't be happier. I got them at a great price. I was hesitant at first to order from them after seeing the many poor reviews on this site. However I noticed most of them were written in poor English. It made me question the validity of them. Still there seemed to be many bad experiences regarding the time it took to receive items. As I came to understand some of their distributors, such as the one I got the books from, are drop shippers. Both of my books were through paperbackshop. One showed in stock in NJ, USA and the other in the UK. Still considering the great bargain I gave it a shot, I wasn't in a hurry. I'm very happy and surprised to have gotten them in 9 days. I'll be ordering through them again. I guess as long as you're not in a hurry to get your books you should be fine. I suspect many of the reviews are fake, which is a shame. Well this one is a real one. Happy reading!"

modified review This review was modified by airbornetrader on September 03 2014 12:40:59 PM

AbeBooks / Because You Read User

"This business is probably the worst for textbooks. Their resellers lie about book availability and refuse to offer refunds even though books are not even shipped. They also lie about having shipped an order, even though the bookseller admitted 3 weeks after sending an 'order shipped' notice that they were still trying to locate a book that they showed as being in stock. Expect absolutely zero assistance from Abe's, as they just act like hapless middlemen who only have the power to take your money, but not to hold their sellers liable. "

"Paid extra to have a book shipped priority when I received it, it had been shipped media mail. When I contacted Abe Books about having the difference in my shipping money refunded, they basically said that's your problem and we won't help. That it's the sellers option to ship however they want as long as it gets there in time. Why allow shipping options then? What a rip-off!! Have to contact seller and hope he refunds my money. Abe Books has no accountability with their sellers and does not stand up for the customers. Would never use again. Amazon has waaaay better customer service. "

modified review This review was modified by Hollyg19 on August 23 2014 05:37:59 PM

"Sent in over 200 dollars worth of books , but got non-reply emails stating none received.

This company is purely constructed for sheer DECEIT and FRAUD. Ask around and see if you can find one happy customer. If I were you I would certainly beware and do business ELSEWHERE.

modified review This review was modified by Howardhtkoo on August 10 2014 08:26:50 AM

"AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST! THE COMPANY REFUSES TO HELP ME! ORDERED MY BOOK ON 29 OF MAY--TODAY IS THE 3 OF JULY..STILL NO BOOK--AND THE COMPANY IS NOT REPLYING! NEVER AGAIN! I WILL FOREVER GO TO AMAZON! "

"What a rip off. I bought a book for a whopping $100! And when it arrived it hAd an 8.50 price tag on it. Never again. "

modified review This review was modified by Ruthz1234 on June 26 2014 05:12:44 PM

"This is absolutely the worse company I have ever dealt with!! I ordered a textbook on the 8th of April and today is April 25th as I still have not received it. My class started on April 22nd as I am already behind in my class. I called customer service and they just advised that the book takes 4-14 business days and they don't ship it that I should get in touch with the seller. I emailed the seller 3x's and no response. I can't even obtain a tracking number as no one claims to have a tracking number. They also advised that I can not even apply for a refund until 7 days after April 28th ? SCAM Don't order from this company. I have been ordering textbooks for 6 years and have NEVER had such an awful experience. I have maintained a 4.0 avg. in college however, due to I still do not have this textbook my grade in my current class will suffer.

modified review This review was modified by Bkolo on April 25 2014 08:43:51 AM

"I first discovered ABEbooks in the 1996 when the internet first caught on. I have been a book collector and sometimes dealer for many years. And ABEbooks is the LARGEST USED BOOKSELLER IN THE WORLD. So for price and selection they can't be beat. I know you are thinking what about Amazon? Well they started as a book seller and have become a cross between Walmart & eBay selling new & used everything for everybody. AbeBooks is a network of bookstores, dealers, collectors & charities selling over 50 million books. It's an easy site to use with mostly reliable dealers. I look for a seller with 90% or above positive ratings, over a thousand sales, and then compare condition & price. For used books this the biggest source on the planet."

AbeBooks / Because You Read is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

AbeBooks / Because You Read is not a merchant member
AbeBooks / Because You Read does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!