• Address: 447 Battery Street, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA
    • Contact: customersupport@99designs.com
    • Phone: 1 800 513 1678
    • Customer Support: 1 800 513 1678
    • Business Hours: 8am - 5pm PST Mon-Fr

"Terrible experience as a contributing designer. The site lacks some of the important qualities of a "real contest" and you are completely at their (99Designs) mercy. I participated in many contests. I was selected as a finalist in six of them. Of the six two selected other winners (totally ok) and two selected me (that was awesome of course) but two never selected a winner at all...they just let the contest go stale. Then, out of the blue, with no warning after just a few months, I got an email stating that my account with them had been suspended. Just like that - they stated my designs did not meet their high standards. Well, first of all, what exactly are their standards? There is no documentation other than a single page that provides a few suggestions about how to make your design more favorable. Second, how could I have made it to the final round in six contests and how could I have received four (and sometimes five) star ratings and positive comments on my designs if the quality of my work was so poor. Lastly, so what if it wasn't Manhattan advertising pro quality. Why shouldn't I have the same opportunity to submit a design to a contest as any other person. Isn't it the very definition of "contest" to provide fair competition among people with varying skill and experience allowing the "best" to filter to the top? Interestingly they suspended my account (meaning I had zero access to it) while I had funds waiting to be transferred to me. My recommendation - avoid at all costs. Another thing to consider, something I found frustrating when I was working with them was that they advertise original designs but allow their participants to use stock images and clip art in their designs. Unfortunately these are the people that win the most contests. If you really want to do this type of design work, there are other crowd sourcing sites out there - or you could just start your own freelancing site and really exercise your creativity."

modified review This review was modified by Karen.C.L. on November 20 2014 09:06:36 PM

"tried this company but they could not deliver for me. Too many options but none followed my specifications"

"Signed up for a contest for my design. Received 34 submissions. Customer service has gone straight to voicemail for two days now and I cannot get a callback. I can't cancel the contest as I was told I could, and the designs that were submitted either A. have copyrighted material stuck in them or B. Look like they were made in MS paint. "

"I've used 99designs twice for a logo and a refreshed web site. Both times the winning designer did outstanding work and followed the design brief. They offered lots of choice and the turnaround time was less than a week. It's a great way to get quick feedback and response on any new look and feel."

"We had such a great time with this contest from start to end. First off, the site was very easy to use. There was nothing confusing about it and we were able to find our way around with no problem. The layout allows you to get TO any page FROM any page, which is nice. It is clearly laid out with the contest host in mind because reviewing designs is so simple. You can flow right from one designer to the next with no problem. Second, the concept of a contest for a prize is clearly the best way to get your logo done. We had 240 designers from all over the world literally competing for the prize money which motivated them all to work harder than you could believe. Where else can you get this? There is no possible way to get this for the relatively low price that you pay with 99designs. Third, the customer service was outstanding. We submitted probably 10+ questions and inquiries to the customer service team, all of which were answered quickly and accurately. They really went out of their way to ensure that we had the best possible experience.

The value is incredible. I could not ask for a better price for such an outstanding service. I have already used the 1-to-1 project 3 times and am using it now with our winning designer. I actually ended up with 25 logos purchased from this contest because I liked them all so much I just wanted to buy them from the designers so that I would own them.

"I was really impressed by 99designs.com. The whole process is straightforward (and actually quite fun).

99designs gives you the opportunity to have several people submitting and working on designs for your company. You would pay a similar amount for one designer without the variety that multiple designers bring to the table. I would definitely recommend this company.

"Great spectrum of creative input, timely and reasonably priced. It's perfect for our ad hoc project requirements."

"LOVE them!!!!!!
amazing diversity of designs offered
loved being able to preview a lot of designs before picking my favourite!
very responsive - and loved the result.

"I really love this system. I got a great logo for my company. I am also an author and I am going to use them for my next book cover. "

"Overall, the 99 designs concept is great, and we had a very good experience. The design process was fantastic with some very unique and different concepts submitted. At the end of it all, we chose a logo that I think speaks to our brand and what we do and are anxious to begin using it shortly.

That said, I do have some suggestions:

* First, because I was a gold customer, only gold designers could proactively submit designs. I appreciated this as it helped limit what I had to focus on. That said, I did come across some non-gold designers I wanted to invite to the contest and was unable to because they weren't gold. I reached out to 99designs to find a way to allow them in but they couldn't (or maybe wouldn't) do it. Either way, it should be the gold customers discretion.....not 99designs.

* Second, the process was fantastic all the way up to selecting the winner. After that, it was a very frustrating experience in that the person's design I chose couldn't speak English well. Ultimately this led to communication gaps through the hand over and multiple iterations. I wasn't upset with the individual as I could tell they were truly trying to do what I wanted and were very responsive. I would recommend 99designs have an account manager help facilitate this process to ensure a timely hand off. In particular for gold customers - while part of the gold package is a personal account manager - I'm not sure what the person did for me other than send me a couple e-mails and extend the contest when I proactively requested it as we were having trouble in the hand off stage. The account manager should have proactively seen and addressed it.

"I used 99 Designs to design a new cover for the second edition of my best Selling book "Social Media in Business" by Steve Nicholls. I had 38 Designer submit 422 designs...which lead to a beautiful cover for my book.

A feature I found very useful was to create a poll of the leading concepts and send that to key people during the process, this was very helpful in guiding the outcome and make sure the design was both liked and more importantly to which designs were not popular and therefore we dropped at the early stage.

I would recommend the 99 Designs process to anyone wanting to get a range of ideas for a design need. The developing of those ideas it is best work with a small group of designers and the 99 designs process enables this.

"Amazing resource, incredible customer service, access to world-class designers who are inspired to win your business. I love my logo for my food business start up! "

"This was a tremendously successful experience for our new company. I am impressed by the caliber of the designers. "

"Loved how easy the website is to use and that we could poll our family, friends and colleagues about designs!"

"I have already executed 3 contests with 99designs and I must say I am very satisfied with all results. I was informed by a friend the first time and was impressed by the result. Although I didn't knew the work of 99 designs the help function and instructions helped me to overcome my anxiety at first and the result was very satisfying."

99designs.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

99designs.com is not a merchant member
99designs.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!